Micro 381 - 999 Mafia (Nonary Game Complete)

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zero the Ninth
Zero the Ninth
Townie
Zero the Ninth
Townie
Townie

Micro 381 - 999 Mafia (Nonary Game Complete)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:01 am

Post by Zero the Ninth »

Players

[1] - Bins
[2] -
Akane Kurashiki
ChannelDelibird
[3] -
Quilford The Bulge
Aronis
[4] -
Flames682
yoncé
[5] - Parama
[6] - Not_Mafia
[7] - xRECKONERx
[8] -
ThirtyFour
Grib
[9] -
Jackel98
Gammagooey

Spoiler: Alive
[2] -
Akane Kurashiki
ChannelDelibird
[3]
[0] -
Quilford The Bulge
Aronis
[7] - xRECKONERx
[9] -
Jackel98
Gammagooey

Spoiler: Dead
[4] -
Flames682
yoncé (
Vanilla Townie
, lynched D1)
[6] - Not_Mafia (
Vengeful Mafioso
, lynched D2)
[8] -
ThirtyFour
Grib (
Town Esper
, shot D2)
[5] - Parama (
Mafia D1 Doublevoter
, lynched D3)
[1] - Bins (
Vanilla Cop
turned
Neutral Survivor
, modkilled D4)

Darkness. A cold, hard floor. Your head is throbbing as you stand up, struggling to see in front of you. Looking around, you notice a small LED light behind you, glowing red. You move towards it slowly. There's some sort of display below it... you reach out with your left hand, and are suddenly blinded by a surge of light. A beeping sound, followed by the sound of a deadbolt unlocking. You're in a small, metal room with a large door. Flourescent lights above you, behind a glass ceiling. There's a contraption next to the door, an empty display with a now green LED beside it. Your wrist feels heavy. You're wearing some sort of digital watch that displays one number on it. There doesn't seem to be a way to remove the watch, nor anything else of note on it. You mash the buttons on the side of the watch, to no avail. Banging on the door, you yell out.

"Hello? Is there anyone there?" HELLO?"

You hear muffled noises coming from outside the door. Slowly, you open the door and peek out. There, you see eight other people and doorways leading to other rooms in a circular fashion. There are similar displays on the outsides of the doors, with the green LED lights. You walk out, and a larger door catches your eye. A large door with the number [9] on it, painted in a deep red color. It almost looks like...

"Greetings."

A loudspeaker above the [9] door crackles to life.

"Welcome to the Nonary Game."

The door to the room you woke up in slams shut. The LEDs turn red and beep as you hear the sound of deadbolts turning. You look around, confused. Everyone else's gaze is transfixed on the loudspeaker. You listen to the emotionless female voice emanating from it.

"Your aim in this game is simple. Each of you has a bracelet with a number on it. Each of the doors in this room also have numbers on them. You may use the [digital root] of your bracelets to re-enter the rooms you woke up in and converse with other players, alone.The solution to finding your digital root, along with other basic rules of the game, should be in the notes in your pockets."

You instinctively reach into your pockets and feel paper crinkling in your right one. The voice continues.

"There are those among you that wish to cause you harm. In nine hours, you may leave through the door marked with a [9]. Until then, you must survive. Let our game begin."

The speaker dies out. You pull a folded piece of paper from your pocket and read...

General Rules

0. Rules may change at my discretion at any time. If you think you'll be breaking a rule by doing something, don't do it (when in doubt, PM me).
1. Votes
must
be in VOTE: tags to count (see: game-specific rules). Unvote tags are not required before voting someone else, but can help with clarity. A majority of votes is required to lynch. No Lynch requires half the amount of living players, rounded up.
2. Days will last for
nine days
. Nights are
48 hours
. No majority, no lynch. No action submitted, none taken. Extensions will only occur for site downtime and replacments (with rare exceptions).
3. Prods go out after 48 hours of inactivity (72 on Day 1). If you do not respond to a prod within 48 hours, or if this prod will be your third prod, I will replace you. Post V/LAs in thread and don't abuse V/LAs to avoid prods.
4. The mod's color is
dark red
. Don't use it.
5. If something needs my attention, PM me or bold the phrase "@Mod" followed by what you want to tell me.
6. Be respectful and play to your win condition.
7. Do not discuss this game outside of the thread (unless your role PM or game mechanics allow otherwise). If you are dead, you may no longer post. If it's not in the game thread, don't quote/post/link it. No hidden/hard to read text and no editing/deleting posts if somehow able.
8. Do not pretend to break the rules or encourage others to break the rules.
9. All site rules apply. Nobody in this game has a role that permits violations of these.

Game-Specific Rules

0. No 999 or VLR related spoilers!
1. Each player in this game has been randomly given a number from 1 to 9 (see: playerlist in the OP). Numbers have been determined by random.org and are not indicative of alignment. There are also eight doors available at the start of the game, labeled [1] to [8].
2. During Day phases, players may vote for groups to enter these doors at Night, in addition to a lynch. Players may do so by posting
#-Vote
, where the
#
is the Door that group should enter. (Example,
9-Vote: Junpei, June, Sigma
would be a vote for those three players to enter the [9] door.) Use
##unvote
(using actual # signs) to remove all #-votes you have submitted; if you wish to re-do only one door, you must ##unvote and re-submit all your #-votes.
Unlike
Lynch votes, #-Votes require a plurality to go through - the combination with the most votes wins, even if it is not a majority.
3. You may #-vote for as many groups as you like, provided names aren't repeated (as one player cannot enter two doors simultaneously). To elaborate using the above example: if you're voting for Junpei, June, and Sigma to enter the [9] door, the rest of your #-votes must not contain them. If you change your mind later and want Sigma to go through a different door, unvote and re-vote accordingly.
4. You do not need to include all living players in your #-Votes. Using the main example, again, you may vote for only Sigma, June and Junpei to enter the [9] door and no other groups to enter any door, if you wish.
5. Groups of players may only enter a door if the
digital root
of all players' numbers match the door's number. A
digital root
is obtained by adding all digits of a sequence until a single digit number is reached. (Example, 12345. 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 = 15. 1 + 5 = 6. The digital root of 12345 is 6.)
6. In addition, three to five players are required in a group for that door to open. No more, no less.
7. During Night phases, players that are grouped into a door will be given a private discussion area in which to discuss the game. Players that have not entered a door will be unable to talk at Night (unless your role PM says otherwise).
8. Once a door is opened, after the Night phase in which it is used, it will permanently lock and will not be available for the rest of the game.
9. This game has a 9 Day Deadline. If the game does not end in any faction winning by the end of Day 9, every player is issued a loss, regardless of alignment.

Sample VT PM:
Welcome to 999 Mafia, InflatablePie.

Role:
Vanilla Townie

Actions: You have your voice and your vote.
Win Condition: You win when there are no threats to the town left alive, or nothing can prevent otherwise.

The game thread is here. Please confirm your role via PM.
Last edited by Zero the Ninth on Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Truth had gone, truth had gone, truth had gone. Ah, now truth is asleep in the darkness of the sinister hand.

TWO MILKMEN GO COMEDY
MEMENTO MORI IF THE NINETH LION ATE THE SUN
Zero the Ninth
Zero the Ninth
Townie
Zero the Ninth
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:03 am

Post by Zero the Ninth »

Doing pre-game work. Role PMs should be out within the hour.

/confirm via PM, the game will start roughly 48 hours from the time of role PMs being sent (this message will be edited with the exact deadline).

[EDIT] Role PMs are out!

The Nonary Game will begin on Wednesday, August 20th at 3pm EST.

Truth had gone, truth had gone, truth had gone. Ah, now truth is asleep in the darkness of the sinister hand.

TWO MILKMEN GO COMEDY
Zero the Ninth
Zero the Ninth
Townie
Zero the Ninth
Townie
Townie

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:37 am

Post by Zero the Ninth »

Eventually the group calms down from the initial panic. They each stated a nickname for themselves: Bins, Akane, Quilford, Flames, Parama, Not Mafia, Reckoner, 34 and Jackal... What was it Zero said?

"There are those among you that wish to cause you harm..."

But what could they do about that? They had nothing in their pockets aside from the Rules of this "Nonary Game"...

The loudspeaker crackled to life once more.

"The Nonary Game has begun."

A mechanical sound emanated from the direction of the [9] Door as a LCD screed slid out from the wall.

"You have nine hours to vote for a Player to be eliminated. You may also vote to enter the Doors through this device. If you have any questions, I will be watching. Good luck to you all."

LYNCH VOTE

Bins (0) -
Akane Kurashiki (0) -
Quilford (0) -
Flames682 (0) -
Parama (0) -
Not_Mafia (0) -
xRECKONERx (0) -
ThirtyFour (0) -
Jackel98 (0) -

Not Voting - [all]

DOOR VOTE

Bins -
Akane Kurashiki -
Quilford -
Flames682 -
Parama -
Not_Mafia -
xRECKONERx -
ThirtyFour -
Jackel98 -

Current Plurality - [n/a]

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch (5 to No Lynch). Deadline will be Friday, August 29th at 4pm EST.

Rules Change
- Door Vote has been changed to plurality (it originally said 'majority'); forgot to update my ruleset and copy-pasted an earlier draft. OP has been updated.

TWO MILKMEN GO COMEDY
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:45 am

Post by Parama »

yay I'm Junpei
So, IMPORTANT. I have a doublevote today but only for today so let's make the most of it.
Please don't randomly vote for groups, by the way. In theory it's best for us to send out two groups a night while there are enough people left for two groups and then one group that doesn't contain every player after that point; we should decide a lynch before we decide on groups, I think, that would be best in the long run.
Alternative plan is to only send players generally not under suspicion into doors so we can decide on groups later.

Anyways:
Vote: Quilford

Sup
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
Akane Kurashiki
Akane Kurashiki
Goon
Akane Kurashiki
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:56 am

Post by Akane Kurashiki »

You have to use vote tags, Parama. Like this:

VOTE: Bins

I'm under the opinion that we should probably save the doors for when we're reasonably sure a certain combination of people getting private chat will be fruitful, mostly because we're locked out of that door forever afterward. It would suck on day 3-4 when things are generally more figured out to really want a certain group of people to go through, but they can't because their digital root is something we locked ourselves out of on night 1.

Following that same line of logic, it might be good to figure out ahead of time what groups of people will be locked out of a door in the future if a group we want to send through is actually sent. It just makes sense to me to try to get as much useful as possible out of the mechanic, but if anyone has other ideas they should speak up.
ThirtyFour
ThirtyFour
Goon
ThirtyFour
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:00 am

Post by ThirtyFour »

I'm not completely sure how we should use the door mechanic yet, but I agree that we should only use them with a good reason.

6-8+2=0, so Flames682 must be Zero!
VOTE: Flames
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:02 am

Post by Bins »

Aw, I wanted to vote to be in a room alone with NM.

VOTE: mafia
is this where I tell you to swipe right

gtkas
Akane Kurashiki
Akane Kurashiki
Goon
Akane Kurashiki
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:06 am

You still can...?

But why would you want to be in a room with someone you're voting for?
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:09 am

Post by Bins »

It was a joke in response to Parama stating we shouldn't randomly vote for rooms -- I don't think N_M would like to be locked alone in a room with me. c;

gtkas
Akane Kurashiki
Akane Kurashiki
Goon
Akane Kurashiki
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:12 am

You two know each other?
Bins
Bins
Survivor
Bins
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:14 am

Post by Bins »

IRL? No.

But we've played a few games together.

gtkas
ThirtyFour
ThirtyFour
Goon
ThirtyFour
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:17 am

Post by ThirtyFour »

You'd need a third player to go through the door anyway, right? So no being locked alone in a room with someone ;)
Akane Kurashiki
Akane Kurashiki
Goon
Akane Kurashiki
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:18 am

Fair enough, bins.

VOTE: Flames

hi
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:21 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

3+5+7=1+5=6

1+6+9=1+6=7

2+4+8=1+4=5

There, can we just roll with these groups instead of spending half the day talking about something that is completely random chance and impossible for us to do strategically on D1?

5-Vote: Akane, Flames682, ThirtyFour

6-Vote: Quilford, Parama, Reck

7-Vote: Bins, Not_Mafia, Jackel98
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:22 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

@Mod: How do we resolve door votes vs lynches? As in, we don't know for sure who is going to get lynched until they are hammered, but we need to have our groups setup accordingly.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:23 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I'm bad at typing.

EBWOP: @Mod: Lynches end the day. We don't know who will be lynched until then. But we won't be able to edit them out of our group votes. Will there be twilight for figuring out groups before a flip or something?
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:24 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 3, Parama wrote:yay I'm Junpei
So, IMPORTANT. I have a doublevote today but only for today so let's make the most of it.
Please don't randomly vote for groups, by the way. In theory it's best for us to send out two groups a night while there are enough people left for two groups and then one group that doesn't contain every player after that point; we should decide a lynch before we decide on groups, I think, that would be best in the long run.
Alternative plan is to only send players generally not under suspicion into doors so we can decide on groups later.

Anyways:
Vote: Quilford

Sup

Uh how do we make the most of a D1 doublevoter, exactly? That's functionally a useless role.

Why is it best for us to send two groups? This logic doesn't make any sense... there will ALWAYS be enough people to send two groups. We should be sending 3-4 groups while we still can, not 2.
green shirt thursdays
ThirtyFour
ThirtyFour
Goon
ThirtyFour
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:27 am

Post by ThirtyFour »

@ Akane: Is there a reason you changed your random vote, or was that just, well, random?

--

We'll lose the doors after using them, so wouldn't it be better to use them when we can use them strategically?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:30 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 17, ThirtyFour wrote:We'll lose the doors after using them, so wouldn't it be better to use them when we can use them strategically?

Exactly how long are you expecting a
nine player game
to go?

D1: 9 players
N1: 8 players
D2: 7 players
N2: 6 players
D3: 5 players AAAAND LYLO

We have basically two nights to use the doors, why on EARTH would we wait?
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:31 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In fact, we should probably have most of the doors used up by D3 so we can get as much information as possible for potential LyLo... and if it's NOT LyLo on D3 (because we got a scum lynch), we can just massclaim and decide who to send through one of the two remaining doors.

This is actually legitimately the best plan.
green shirt thursdays
Akane Kurashiki
Akane Kurashiki
Goon
Akane Kurashiki
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:37 am

I figured the way Bins reacted to my questions was good enough for a page 1 unvote. I would have left it on if I'd sensed nervousness, especially coming from a newer player.

And actually, Reck has a point... forgot that smaller game = less time to reach lylo. I still think we shouldn't hammer in doors until we've had some time to discuss who is town and scum, at the very least. No one's probably gonna want to talk much if they get stuck in a room with someone they're sure is scum, etc.

There's definitely a way to milk this mechanic for all it's worth, it's just a question of finding the balance between getting max information possible beforehand but also not waiting too long.
Zero the Ninth
Zero the Ninth
Townie
Zero the Ninth
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:38 am

Post by Zero the Ninth »

In post 15, xRECKONERx wrote:
@Mod: Lynches end the day. We don't know who will be lynched until then. But we won't be able to edit them out of our group votes. Will there be twilight for figuring out groups before a flip or something?

Both Lynch Votes and Door Votes must be decided before Day ends. A Lynch Vote majority ends the Day. If the Day would end with a lynched player, all Door Votes containing that player would not be counted if the digital root of the group
without
the lynched player does not match the door (Rule 5) OR if it brings the group number below three (Rule 6). If all existing Door Votes contain that player, and thus there's no valid plurality, no one will enter Doors that night.

TWO MILKMEN GO COMEDY
Jackel98
Jackel98
Goon
Jackel98
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:43 am

Post by Jackel98 »

Well, let's hope I don't die early. I don't even get a cool nickname...

@Reckoner: We can't send 3-4 groups, because we only have 9 chances to make groups. Yes, we lose a person at the end of the day, but using a half of our possible rooms on N1 might not be so good an idea.

I think we should send two four-person groups tonight. Don't know who will be in what group, but it would allow everyone to be in a group, and not use up a half of our available rooms.

VOTE: Reckoner

PEDIT: ThirtyFour said the same thing that I just did...

PEDIT-2: I didn't think of it that way, Reckoner...
UNVOTE: Reckoner

Also, based on the mod's response, I think we should adjust the room votes after someone voices the intent to hammer. Do NOT hammer someone before we change the group(s) that that is in.
“Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.”
ThirtyFour
ThirtyFour
Goon
ThirtyFour
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:47 am

Post by ThirtyFour »

Right, anything longer than day 4 would be rare, I guess (day 5 can only happen if there's a NK and a NL, right?)
Anyway, we can still make the best of the doors and not just use completely random groups. If we want everyone to go through a door tonight, we need to make two groups, since we'll only be eight players at the end of the day and eight players can't make three groups. We'll also need to know who's getting lynched, possibly by changing door votes after someone has giving intent to hammer.
Also, the problem with using doors isn't only that we're losing the doors, it might make some player combinations impossible later.

@ Akane: Alright, that makes sense.

PEdit: Jackel said pretty much what I wanted to say ...

@ Jackel: You have the number 9, that's pretty cool too, since you can be added to any group without changing the digital root. But you're also the ninth man, so ... :wink:
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:55 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

@Jackel: Did you only vote me because you disliked my suggestion on how to use the doors? How did that make me vote worthy?
green shirt thursdays

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”