Micro 517: Auction Mafia! Final!

Micro Games (9 players or fewer). Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Micro 517: Auction Mafia! Final!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:56 am

Post by Lucky2u »

Player List

A Simple Plan
pirate mollie
aptil
Firebringer
Vedith
lane0168
RedCoyote
Salamence20
Davsto
popsofctown
YurikoJasmine
farside22

Players Alive:

Spoiler:
pirate mollie
Firebringer
Vedith
lane0168
Salamence20

Players Dead

Spoiler:
YurikoJasmine,
Town
farside22,
Town

popsofctown,
Town

General Rules

1. Site-wide rules apply
2. This is a semi-open Game
3. Do not quote your role PM or any Quick Topics
4. Do no use unusual text size or format
5. I reserve the color ORANGE, do not use it.
6. Do not discuss the game outside of this thread
7. Do not discuss the game outside of this thread (I am putting this twice because it's important)

Activity Rules

1. Give notice for V/LA and indicate the time period it will be for.
2. If you have not posted in 48 hours, you will be prodded
3. Failure to post within 24 hours of a prod will result in your replacement.
4. Three prods and you're replaced.
5. Days will last 12 real world days and nights will last 48 real life hours.

Voting

1. Lynches result from %50 + 1 votes.
2. Only votes in the BOLD or VOTE tags will count
3. If there is no majority at a day end deadline, no lynch will occur
4. Do NOT post the day after your lynched or killed, not even for a "darn it!" post.
5. Vote ambiguity is resolved at the mod's discretion. This covers use of nicknames, unusual formatting of vote, or any thing else that makes a votes intention unclear.

God Mod Rule

1. If I say it, it is law until I say otherwise. This includes adding rules if I missed something.

Game Specific Rules

1. Each player begins the game with 100 Luck bucks.
2. At the beginning of each day phase three role powers (some with modifiers) will be announced as available for auction.
3. Players will bid on these role powers in the manner of a "blind" auction.
A. Each bidder submits their bid secretly. This will be done via PM to the mod for the purposes of this game
B. Each bidder may only submit ONE bid per item. After you have bid on an item, you may not then later change your bid or withdraw it.
C. Each bidder may submit a bid on one, two, three, or none of the items offered. You may submit your bids separately or all in the same PM.
-Your total bids may not equal more than your current Luck buck balance. For example at the start of the game, you can not submit three $100 bids, as this would total $300.
D. The deadline for bids is when a lynch is achieved or the day phase deadline is reached (with no lynch). NO BIDS DURING TWILIGHT.
E. During the flip, it will be announced how much each role power was sold for, but not who won them.
F. Winners of the auction will be notified via PM with their won powers and their updated balance of luck bucks.
G. A single player may win multiple role powers.
H. Role powers last during the following night phase and forfeited at the beginning of the next day phase.
I. Bids resulting in a tie will favor the person who bid first.
J. Losing bids will not lose the money bid.
Last edited by Lucky2u on Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:10 am, edited 15 times in total.
The bunny knight reigns supreme!
Get to know me! Here! and now Here too!
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:24 am

Post by RedCoyote »

I'm assuming we can chat pre-game since you didn't lock it and you PM'd us that the thread was up?

I just want to say, I'm rolling in the luck bucks.
I'm going to make it rain.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:26 am

Post by RedCoyote »

I have enough luck bucks
to impress lalaladucks.

I only spend money,
if it's for my honey.

Don't mess with Red,
he'll hit your head.
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:29 am

Post by Lucky2u »

... Thank you for that red...
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:00 am

Post by Lucky2u »

8/9 confirms received! Day 1 Start!

Vote Count 1.0

A Simple Plan -
Firebringer -
Vedith -
lane0168 -
RedCoyote -
Salamence20 -
Davsto -
YurikoJasmine -
farside22 -

Not Voting - Everyone!

With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch!

Deadline in: (expired on 2015-09-01 12:00:00)

Now announcing your items up for bid!

Amnesiac Tracker
- Target one player to track, and another player to receive the result of that track. (you receive no result and may not choose yourself for result target.)

Doctor
- Target one player during the night and that player will be protected from kills.

Rolestopper
- Target one player and nonkilling night actions targeting them do not affect them for the night.

Submit your bids via PM!
Last edited by Lucky2u on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salamence20
Salamence20
Survivor
Salamence20
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:07 am

Post by Salamence20 »

Poor mafia.

Those abilites have nothing that can help them.

Anyone have any ideas on how to procede?
Salamence20
Salamence20
Survivor
Salamence20
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:14 am

Post by Salamence20 »

In post 1, RedCoyote wrote:I'm assuming we can chat pre-game since you didn't lock it and you PM'd us that the thread was up?

I just want to say, I'm rolling in the luck bucks.
I'm going to make it rain.

In post 2, RedCoyote wrote:I have enough luck bucks
to impress lalaladucks.

I only spend money,
if it's for my honey.

Don't mess with Red,
he'll hit your head.

Also, Red is probably town. Discuss.

(And by discuss, I mean fuck RVS, we have bids to figure out)
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:51 am

Post by RedCoyote »

I agree Red is probably town.

In regards to bidding, I had a couple of proposals I was actually typing up before the thread was locked (sorry mod!).

My immediate inclination in regards to how we should handle this is that we have nominations for "official" bidders. The official bidders bid at their own discretion. But I think if the scum know which players are going for what, it makes it kind of pointless.

This game reminds me of a series Magua started called Marketplace Mafia (I, II, III) It was much more involved than this, but the concept was fairly similar. I remember thinking when I was in the first game (before I replaced out) that, ultimately (and especially if scum have daytalk), the town is going to sorely be at an organizational disadvantage to the scumteam. So much so that we should just acknowledge that and accept it as a fact. There's no point in trying to work around that. Until/unless a neighborizer or something like that becomes available, the town will just not be able to plan something like "Okay, RC bids X on this ability; Sal bids Y on this ability". Ultimately, I think the best strategy is for the town to keep their bids a secret and leave it up to fate.

There is one strategy though that I think the town could implement to their advantage: breaking down the abilities into groups of players.

So my proposal therefore is that we break the player list down into groups of three:

Amnesiac TrackerDoctorRolestopper
A Simple Planlane0168Davsto
FirebringerRedCoyoteYurikoJasmine
VedithSalamence20farside22

At least for today, we follow this table. The players all agree to only bid on the powers in their columns. This reduces all individual townie's risk at bidding over one another, and it ensures that there's at least one town player bidding on a power. I think we should definitely keep our bid numbers to ourselves.

Another thing that is critical:
DO NOT PUT PLAYERS INTO L-1 WITHOUT FULL WARNING.
As the rules state, bidding has to happen
before
twilight. Quickhammers won't help the town. Again, scum are inherently going to be much more organized with their bidding, so they have that advantage on us. We need to try and keep things as public as possible (outside of the actual bid amounts themselves, I contend).

What do y'all think about this?
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:55 am

Post by RedCoyote »

And if anyone is curious, I just arranged the names based on the player list order

Code: Select all

1_4_7
2_5_8
3_6_9

I'm somewhat open to the idea of swapping positions, but I don't see any real advantage to it.

NKs are going to be even more important in this game than most games for the scum. When using abilities, make sure to consider whether or not scum will aim to kill someone in a specific column to try and get rid of an ability.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:57 am

Post by RedCoyote »

Mod 1 wrote:Role powers last during the following night phase and forfeited at the beginning of the next day phase.

:!: Important rule for everyone to see. :!:
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:02 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 5, Salamence20 wrote:Poor mafia.

Those abilites have nothing that can help them.

I disagree. The Tracker can be used to find out if a town player has a targeting action, by selecting a scum partner to find out the result.

Also, since the Rolestopper doesn't stop killing actions, it can be used to prevent a doctor protection, allowing scum to get a definite kill on a player, unless they're 1-shot BP or the like.

Anyway, to RVS, VOTE: RedCoyote because rapping. Ew.

PEdit - RedCoyote: I disagree with a majority of the things you've said here.

But I think if the scum know which players are going for what, it makes it kind of pointless.

Then why do you proceed to suggest which players should go for what?
So my proposal therefore is that we break the player list down into groups of three:

At least for today, we follow this table. The players all agree to only bid on the powers in their columns. This reduces all individual townie's risk at bidding over one another, and it ensures that there's at least one town player bidding on a power.

First of all, like scum are actually going to agree to only bid on the powers within their column.
Second, it doesn't really reduces the risk of bidding over one another, since there are still up to three townies in each column, all bidding over each other.

Another thing that is critical: DO NOT PUT PLAYERS INTO L-1 WITHOUT FULL WARNING.

This should be true for every game of mafia.

I think, overall, this benefits only scum - since they know which town players are going for what, they know who's best to kill, as in whoever is going for the power that is the most scumhunting. Scum don't have daytalk - they're not going to be organised and are likely to bid over each other as well. Adding on to that, two scum being in the same column - a possibility to consider, at least - means that they will definitely either get that ability, or at least kill the town who gets that ability.

To cut a long story short, nah, sounds too flawed to be that good of a plan.
lane0168
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:14 am

Post by lane0168 »

The only thing I see that could be bad about the column thing at first thought is the scum bid role blocker and now they have a 1 in 3 chance of hitting. 1 in 2 probably if there is a scum in the scum. 1 in 1 if they both are in it. Without the columns I imagine them bidding roleblock and their chance of... well how many scums in 9p? 2 generally? So chance of 2 in 7...

I don't think it reduces town bidding over one another since it's all private and you choose your price.

With the columns you can assume 2 others bidding on it, but without you have no idea who is bidding on what. Which would raise the assumed price of some and lower others.

I suck at this game so I'll probably save money for later on the game.

I also wish we could put wagers in real life things to make more money, and go by Vegas odds lol. Or bet on the high temperature of Mumbai India.

VOTE: salamence

Questions?

What do you expect to be your greatest contribution to a town win this game?
If you had to pick your 2 scum partners out of a lineup, who would they be?
lane0168
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:15 am

Post by lane0168 »

Yup. Good davsto
lane0168
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:18 am

Post by lane0168 »

Guess it would be 1 scum partner
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:20 am

Post by RedCoyote »

Davsto 10 wrote:First of all, like scum are actually going to agree to only bid on the powers within their column.

Of course not, but there's nothing we can do to stop the scum from bidding anyway. If they want to bid on all three powers, so be it. Let them drain their resources. I think the one fundamental thing the town can control this game is our own collective resources. We need some sort of system in place that prevents the town from wasting resources bidding against each other. I think this is a basic way of preventing town from wasting bucks while putting in place redundancies on the chance that there are two scum on one column.

Davsto 10 wrote:Second, it doesn't really reduces the risk of bidding over one another, since there are still up to three townies in each column, all bidding over each other.

Well, what's worse, 6 townies bidding over one another for the same prize or 3?

Davsto 10 wrote:Scum don't have daytalk

Point this out in the ruleset, please.

Davsto 10 wrote:they're not going to be organised and are likely to bid over each other as well.

I don't think I've ever been in a game where scum couldn't chat pregame. At the very least, they exchanged some brief strategy about bidding prior to the game starting (e.g. "X, I'm going to do all the bidding on D1 so don't waste your money on anything, okay?")

---

lane 11 wrote:The only thing I see that could be bad about the column thing at first thought is the scum bid role blocker and now they have a 1 in 3 chance of hitting. 1 in 2 probably if there is a scum in the scum. 1 in 1 if they both are in it. Without the columns I imagine them bidding roleblock and their chance of... well how many scums in 9p? 2 generally? So chance of 2 in 7...

Yes, this is true, but we can't control what the scum do, lane. That's what I don't think you and Davsto are realizing. The scum are not going to play by any rules we put in place and are going to talk at night about how best to use their funds. The town doesn't have that luxury. The only thing the town can control is how best to effectively maximize our collective resources so that we're not throwing money away.

Though both of you brought up something that I didn't think of that could potentially change my thinking entirely.

Mod
, if a player bids on something but doesn't win it, do they still lose the money or do they stay at 100 bucks? For example, if I bid 10 bucks on the doctor and lane bids 15 and 15 is the maximum bid, do I still have 100 tomorrow or do I have 90?
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:23 am

Post by RedCoyote »

If we don't lose money for unsuccessful bids (which is possible because traditionally the loser of an auction doesn't pay anything), then I retract my column idea entirely.
Lucky2u
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Lucky2u
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:23 am

Post by Lucky2u »

@red if you don't win, you lose no money. I'll add this to the rule set.
RedCoyote
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
RedCoyote
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:26 am

Post by RedCoyote »

Ah, okay, well then, as I said above, I no longer support the column idea. I'll think on strategy some more, but we don't have to worry about losing money to fellow townies.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:26 am

Post by Davsto »

I'm fairly new, so I'm unsure, but I'm pretty sure that site rules dictate that scum having daytalk must be disclosed in the rules?
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:28 am

Post by farside22 »

In post 7, RedCoyote wrote:I agree Red is probably town.

In regards to bidding, I had a couple of proposals I was actually typing up before the thread was locked (sorry mod!).

My immediate inclination in regards to how we should handle this is that we have nominations for "official" bidders. The official bidders bid at their own discretion. But I think if the scum know which players are going for what, it makes it kind of pointless.

This game reminds me of a series Magua started called Marketplace Mafia (I, II, III) It was much more involved than this, but the concept was fairly similar. I remember thinking when I was in the first game (before I replaced out) that, ultimately (and especially if scum have daytalk), the town is going to sorely be at an organizational disadvantage to the scumteam. So much so that we should just acknowledge that and accept it as a fact. There's no point in trying to work around that. Until/unless a neighborizer or something like that becomes available, the town will just not be able to plan something like "Okay, RC bids X on this ability; Sal bids Y on this ability". Ultimately, I think the best strategy is for the town to keep their bids a secret and leave it up to fate.

There is one strategy though that I think the town could implement to their advantage: breaking down the abilities into groups of players.

At least for today, we follow this table. The players all agree to only bid on the powers in their columns. This reduces all individual townie's risk at bidding over one another, and it ensures that there's at least one town player bidding on a power. I think we should definitely keep our bid numbers to ourselves.

Another thing that is critical:
DO NOT PUT PLAYERS INTO L-1 WITHOUT FULL WARNING.
As the rules state, bidding has to happen
before
twilight. Quickhammers won't help the town. Again, scum are inherently going to be much more organized with their bidding, so they have that advantage on us. We need to try and keep things as public as possible (outside of the actual bid amounts themselves, I contend).

I had the same thought but not doing it random like that.
I'm trying to eat lunch and type this at the same time so I'm going to make this simple.
I think it should be discussed before the end of the day who wants to go for what because we still want to lynch scum and as much as I get where dav is coming from but town needs to bid on these items because scum will want them too.
I'll explain. Better when I get home about this more indepth but I like fav and red so far.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
farside22
farside22
Mafia Mum
farside22
Mafia Mum
Mafia Mum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:34 am

Post by farside22 »

In post 18, Davsto wrote:

I'm fairly new, so I'm unsure, but I'm pretty sure that site rules dictate that scum having daytalk must be disclosed in the rules?

Not always.

Welcome by the way.

Lane is town.

Game is on easy mode now.
Sarcasm is just a way of saying how stupid you think someone is but in a more polite way.
lane0168
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:35 am

Post by lane0168 »

This is pretty sweet though. Should be a pretty fun game
lane0168
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:41 am

Post by lane0168 »

I don't think it's bad to leave me discussion about who's bidding what till the end of the day but tie bids go to the first player. Not about to share all of my thoughts that go with that because I don't want scum to know my exact plans but there are certain things we may want to bid high and bid fast.
lane0168
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:42 am

Post by lane0168 »

The biggest thing I agree on with red is finding a way to collectively use our funds to our best advantage
lane0168
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
lane0168
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:44 am

Post by lane0168 »

Also I don't think their night chat will do TOO much to help them without knowing what the powers are the next day

Return to “Mayfair Club [Micro Games]”