I am opinionated about modding

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:35 am

Post by kuribo »

For the love of GOD update your OP, even after the game is over.

A quick look into my wiki will reveal that some day, I may want to go back and see who was what. If your OP isn't updated, I'm not looking through the thread for that shit.

Also, links in the OP to significant events like lynches and Day starts are nice.
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:37 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 17, BNL wrote:IIRC last to confirm was a scumtell?

uh no, last to confirm is usually last to be online

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:43 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 47, Davsto wrote:hello opinionated about modding

i'm davsto

im old enough now that i can appreciate a good dad joke

Postie
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Postie
Any/all
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: Any/all

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:17 am

Post by Postie »

In post 45, Plotinus wrote:I started adding sitewide rules into my ruleset because people don't click links.

In the beginning, I only had 11 rules, but by page 4 of my first game I already needed a new one (no tiny text).

Then I had 14 rules because I needed a new one to explain a mechanic and a new one to explain that twilight lasts until the next pagetop (longer if I'm afk).

I think I started adding the "everybody already knows this but i have to include it anyway" rules to my ruleset when i started modding newbie games. I didn't have "don't talk about ongoing" in my ruleset until two newbies PMed each other because they hadn't clicked the link in "follow all site rules" and didn't know it wasn't okay. And then in the second newbie game I modded someone used to a different site meta suggested they find someone they can trust to be town and then "whisper" their roles to that person, so I had to put a pre-emptive reminder in my page 2 votecount.

I didn't have details about how to vote in my ruleset before i started modding newbie games either.

I have 22 rules now :|

Oh, yeah, in newbie games I can understand it. If ever moderate newbie games, I'll probably make a separate ruleset for them that's my usual rules + more common sense stuff. That, or I'll include a
massive
scary-looking notice telling people to read the sitewide rules above my ruleset.
Discourse is fleeting, but junk mail is forever.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:59 am

Post by Plotinus »

I do have a separate ruleset for newbies because a lot of my weirder rules are a little too weird for the newbie queue. If I ever moderate something with an experience requirement maybe i'll take out the "you can vote by typing [
v]Plotinus[/v
]" stuff.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:30 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Clearly, the solution to making people read the rules is to run games so Theme that all the rules have changed and thus you need to track them from the start. (For example, a game that I've been planning for a while has deadlines, prods, inactivity etc. as major parts of the mechanics. At some point I'm going to have to write a new version of my automated vote counter to keep track of it.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:57 am

Post by kuribo »

I'd like to implement a rule in my rule set that out-of hydra posting gets you two warnings followed by a penalty vote

But I don't know how well that would go

Only other rule I can think of is that cop sanity is not guaranteed unless explicitly stated but that's probably just something that would be mentioned in a role PM

callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:00 am

What irritates me is how often people disobey "please repeat the post from the correct account after alti/hydra-slipping" rules. Perhaps I'll have to start modkilling over it eventually.

So far I've only run games with Normal roles where the cop sanity thing is kind-of obvious, but I think the best way to run a cop of unknown sanity is to list all the four possible roles it could be in the role PM. This means that you don't have to know the history of Cops to be able to know what your results might mean.
scum
town
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:11 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 52, kuribo wrote:
In post 47, Davsto wrote:hello opinionated about modding

i'm davsto

im old enough now that i can appreciate a good dad joke

Dude I'm 16 and I can appreciate a good dad joke
Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: They/them

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:13 am

Post by Dwlee99 »

I am 14 and I can appreciate a good dad joke.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:39 am

Post by Psyche »

ban hydras it's the only way
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:39 am

Post by Psyche »

ah
that's what's missing from N's post
Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:59 am

Post by Dwlee99 »

In post 42, Plotinus wrote:
In post 33, mastin2 wrote:I VERY strongly disagree with this.

The longer your ruleset, the more likely it is that I'm just going to ignore it entirely and not even bother reading it.

Dead serious, if your rules are longer than a screenwidth and contain basic, redundant, and even obsolete information that's frankly unnecessary to include? I'm not reading that shit. I'm just assuming you don't have anything remotely surprising in your rules.

In contrast, if I see a short, neat, ruleset that is directly to the point and contains just the essentials? Damn right I'll read it. It's short. I have no reason not to read it.
I want to make my ruleset shorter but my players keep making me feel the need to add more rules. For example the reason my rule about quoting the PT is a paragraph long is because when it was "Don't quote any private communicaiton you have access to. Paraphrasing is okay" i got so many questions and it was a hassle.

I didn't used to have "don't talk about ongoing games" in my ruleset, because I thought everybody knew that rule but then it turned out that they didn't.

In my first VC of Day 1, I always put this note: "Please take a moment to familiarise yourselves with my ruleset because I have some rules you may not have encountered in other games before regarding animated gifs, tiny text, prodging, proxying, last words, fallback kills and perhaps some other things!"

Because I figure most people are going to skim the rules and think "blahblah if I vote people I can lynch them blahblah i will get prodded if i don't post okay nothing new" and will miss that I do actually have some exciting rules in my ruleset.

noooo proxying is awful
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:28 am

Post by Plotinus »

why don't you like proxying? if someone goes away, they can lend their vote to their townread until they post in the game again. it's to prevent the game from compeltely grinding to a halt on weekends.

kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:34 am

Post by kuribo »

I don't like proxying but the get a room mechanic sounds fun

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:39 am

Post by Plotinus »

it is pretty fun! i've had it in 3 games so far and it's been really neat. Mostly people use it to get neighbourhoods with their townreads/townies they are buddying up to, which is fine and helps whichever faction has strong players without hurting anything, but i initially envisioned as more of a way to let town shut down those 40 page arguments that nobody wants to read by giving people a 48 hour post restriction that they can't talk about each other in public (and a room so that they can still have their conversation that nobody else cares about).

The first game I forgot to put a limit on it and found myself babysitting 22 PTs in a micro, but I learned my lesson.

Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:09 am

Post by Dwlee99 »

In post 63, Plotinus wrote:why don't you like proxying? if someone goes away, they can lend their vote to their townread until they post in the game again. it's to prevent the game from compeltely grinding to a halt on weekends.

No one shpuld be able to use your vote.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:09 am

Post by Plotinus »

it's optional. you don't have to proxy your vote to anyone if you don't want to, but you can if you do want to (and only when v/la.) It's never been used in the games i modded, but I like the idea of the option being available.

Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:18 am

Post by Dwlee99 »

oh if only when vla it seems ok
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:23 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

I endorse this product or service
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:40 pm

Post by Psyche »

concerned about it being used strategically
but there's a taboo against v/laing strategically
talah
talah
Mafia Scum
talah
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:11 pm

Post by talah »

Vote-proxying can also be used to see what someone does with the extra vote, so I agree with it being used strategically at times but I don't really see it being a problem either way. I know of at least some mods who let it happen as a matter of course - it's just an extension of sheeping without having to sheep.

Get a Room threads on the other hand? I mean I think it's interesting but shutting people out of conversations... to me I'd be pissed even if there had been too much spam. Not knowing what x and y had been talking about if they both came back into the thread and started ganging up on me (or another townread of mine, or conversely if they dropped a scumread they'd been previously discussing and which I also had) might just end up with me asking repeatedly what specifically had been going on in that thread... possibly leading to another Room thread with x, y and me (probably voted by *other* players when I start reading into what might have been said instead of what was actually said and getting grumpy about it).

I like the feel of the mechanic as part of a specific *game's* ruleset but not as a standard thing that just happens.

Then again, I haven't looked at what happens in practice, so that's just a feeling :)
Dwlee99
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Dwlee99
They/them
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:26 pm

Post by Dwlee99 »

In post 71, talah wrote:Vote-proxying can also be used to see what someone does with the extra vote, so I agree with it being used strategically at times but I don't really see it being a problem either way. I know of at least some mods who let it happen as a matter of course - it's just an extension of sheeping without having to sheep.

Get a Room threads on the other hand? I mean I think it's interesting but shutting people out of conversations... to me I'd be pissed even if there had been too much spam. Not knowing what x and y had been talking about if they both came back into the thread and started ganging up on me (or another townread of mine, or conversely if they dropped a scumread they'd been previously discussing and which I also had) might just end up with me asking repeatedly what specifically had been going on in that thread... possibly leading to another Room thread with x, y and me (probably voted by *other* players when I start reading into what might have been said instead of what was actually said and getting grumpy about it).

I like the feel of the mechanic as part of a specific *game's* ruleset but not as a standard thing that just happens.

Then again, I haven't looked at what happens in practice, so that's just a feeling :)

yea i can agree with this is pretty much gives everyone in the game the power to neighborize.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:09 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

Have you thought about providing a template/standardised (non-mandatory) OP and ruleset for mods or highlighting a few mods who make good opening posts?
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:23 pm

Many games offsite allow unlimited PMs between players (either as a strategy thing or because they feel it's impossible to enforce no PMs between players).
The games normally end up revolving around it; things like "as soon as a player becomes confirmed town, everyone fullclaims to that player, who can dictate lynches without having to state their evidence from then on and it's assumed that it was based on role information received from someone else". It'd make breadcrumbling pretty much obsolete.
In other words, Get a Room has a really major impact on a setup's balance unless the setup is particularly role-light.
scum
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”