Mafia Wiki

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Mafia Wiki

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:13 pm

Post by jeep »

[edit: Wiki now at MafiaWiki]

Hello all!

I have installed a wiki on mafiascum.net. If you are not familiar with a wiki.... it's basically a web site that everyone can edit.

I've ported over the existing mafiascum.net items, but the detailed stuff like cop variations has not been added. If you are bored and want to advance the theory of mafia, you can go to http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl and add all the informaitn you want to.

If you want more information about wikis look here: http://www.oddmuse.org/cgi-bin/wiki
It will also explain how to format stuff. You don't need to know HTML or anything to edit the pages and advance mafia.

-JEEP
Yoko Kurama
Yoko Kurama
Alarmist
Yoko Kurama
Alarmist
Alarmist

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:18 pm

Post by Yoko Kurama »

Do you think you will take some of the changes and put them on the main site??
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:19 am

Post by Norinel »

Nifty. Just made a few tweaks to some of the pages that are quite outdated.
ages
ages
Goon
ages
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:06 am

Post by ages »

Very nice.

I've made a few small changes to some pages, mainly just clarifying or rewording things. It would be very cool if we had a section on it to record finished games, where the mod of the game could put the setup and anybody could comment on the game. I wonder if anybody else would like that, or is it just me?

Also added a list of common mafia abreviations to the FAQ (e.g. FOS) I'm sure there's lots more, so please add any I haven't got.
[size=75]Note: For those who were curious, playing mafia involves forming rational thoughts and expressing them with, well, sentences. Let's try this in the future.

Mathcam in a newbie game[/size]
ages
ages
Goon
ages
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:27 am

Post by ages »

I have a problem. On the faq page my edits keep dissapearing. Maybe someone could look at the revision log and see whats going on?
[size=75]Note: For those who were curious, playing mafia involves forming rational thoughts and expressing them with, well, sentences. Let's try this in the future.

ages
ages
Goon
ages
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:29 am

Post by ages »

My list of abbreviations appears to be lost, the revision where I added them no longer has them. Whats going on?

Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:44 am

Post by Norinel »

I see the abbreviation list on the page itself. Maybe it's your browser caching things when it's not supposed to, or something with how the wiki shows changes and such- apparently clicking on the diff link next to a change on the RecentChanges page shows all differences between the document immediately after that revision from the current one. Comparing revisions 9 and 10 (The one before adding the list and the one where you added the list) shows it.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:45 am

Post by jeep »

With wikis I have often had problems where I thought my changes disappeared, but it was really that my cache was just bringing pu the old page. If this happens, try cleaing your browser cache.

Ages, you ask for a section to put archived games... well the whole point of wikis is that you can do that if you want. It won't take anything from me. ;)

-JEEP
bigbenwd
bigbenwd
got thread?
bigbenwd
got thread?
got thread?

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:53 am

Post by bigbenwd »

I just made a change, if someone could move it out of roles affecting voting and into a category of its own that would be great. I dn't know how to do that.
"Plato is a lot of fun. It comes in many colors. You can put it through the plato fun factory, and make spaghetti out of it. You shouldn't eat it, but if you do, your poop turns different colors."
-Werebear
Yoko Kurama
Yoko Kurama
Alarmist
Yoko Kurama
Alarmist
Alarmist

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:01 am

Post by Yoko Kurama »

If you add a new role also add it to the new complete set of roles. Oh and nice job Shady with the clarity.
BlueSin
BlueSin
Unique
BlueSin
Unique
Unique

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:57 pm

Post by BlueSin »

Can we try to play mafia with wiki? just testing.
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:15 am

Post by Norinel »

BlueSin wrote:Can we try to play mafia with wiki? just testing.
It'd be a bit annoying (At least to me) because it'd either be the same memory game as a mafia where you can edit your posts (Yes, I know RL mafia has memory aspects, but online you can just archive everything whenever you see it, which gives you a perfect memory but is annoying and takes extra work) or it'd just be annoying and take extra work to see who said what.

Could the main page have a link to the wiki? In my opinion, the stuff there's already a bit better than the top level of the site.

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:09 am

Post by Guest »

It will soon, I'm just out of the country.

I also intend to copy most, if not all, of the wiki information over to the top level pages, with some editing and such.

Actually, jeep, I am wondering if it would be possible for there to be an "admin" option on the wiki, so that I could click on a wiki page, it'd give me a thing where I could edit if needed, and then it would take the final version and remake whichever page I was updating. It could also display on the wiki the edited version and the original, so no one's ideas actually get deleted.

Maybe eventually we could set it up so several "publishers" could have that option, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to things like this, so I'll update the main pages myself for now.

In addition, can we change the style of the wiki? Maybe not make it exactly the same as the main site, but something more mafia themed would be good. If you can tell me what you would need for that, I'll be happy to throw together a design.

I have some other ideas, but I'll wait until I'm home to sort them out of my head.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:10 am

Post by mith »

Oops, forgot to login. :)
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:27 am

Post by jeep »

Actually, jeep, I am wondering if it would be possible for there to be an "admin" option on the wiki, so that I could click on a wiki page, it'd give me a thing where I could edit if needed, and then it would take the final version and remake whichever page I was updating. It could also display on the wiki the edited version and the original, so no one's ideas actually get deleted.
Hmm... I could probably put a "publish" option in it if it doesn't exist anywhere. I mean it has to create the HTML already, it's just a matter of sending it to a file, too.

As to the theme... yes, I can figure out how to do that.

As to not deleting idea, well, the site is version controlled. So all old pages are kept until both of these conditions are met:
1) At least X days old (I think 7 right now)
2) Someone manually runs the cleanup option.

-JEEP
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Mafia
PolarBoy

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:48 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Oddly, I was contemplating suggesting that we have a wiki. Cool. The one thing missing now is an easy system for addressing the wiki from within the message board. Essentially, I think it would be cool if, in a game, I said LeptonsGambit and it automatically linked to the WikiWord without the gratuitous board tags I used in this post. But this is cool.

Did I mention that you'll find me constantly refactoring and polishing pages pages from here 'til eternity?
MUNSCM Delegate for the United Kingdom
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:15 am

Post by jeep »

Heh, I could probably make phpBB link to our wiki... I'll consider it.

mith: http://www.oddmuse.org/cgi-bin/oddmuse? ... Sheet;css= is where you can look at how to set up a CSS that will make the site more mafialike.

-JEEP
Last edited by jeep on Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:18 am

Post by mathcam »

Hm, I'm not so sure about the auto-linking....maybe just a tag like

LeptonsGambit?

If it's done automatically, I could see it getting kind of annoying.

Cam
PolarBoy'sbeinglazy
PolarBoy'sbeinglazy
PolarBoy'sbeinglazy

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:27 am

Post by PolarBoy'sbeinglazy »

I didn't realize that we had no convention for WikiWords. Other wiki's I've seen all WikiWords are two or more words CamelCased with no spaces. In that case automatic linking makes perfect sense. But for the board mathcam's suggestion makes a lot of sense.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:30 am

Post by jeep »

WikiWords have a convention... CamelCase, no spaces OR some tag to make them recognized as WikiWords. I can definitely make wiki tags... I like that better.

-JEEP
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:49 am

Post by PolarBoy »

There's a convention, but it doesn't visually distinguish WikiWords from normal words. So with automatic linking someone could easily make a WikiWord for "I" and it would be linked every time someone referred to himself in the first person. Very annoying. Which is why I advocate the use of CamelCasing for WikiWords. It'll make linking the wiki much less of a hit-and-miss affair.
Check out the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage]ScumWiki[/url], and while you're at it, check out [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?DocumentModeMafia]DocumentModeMafia[/url]
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:19 am

Post by jeep »

No no, only CamelCase is auto linked... all other times you need to surround it with the special tags indicating that it's a WikiWord.

-JEEP

Edit: Oh and usernames.
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:29 am

Post by PolarBoy »

By the way, I've taken the liberty of announcing DocumentModeMafia. Sign-ups have started for 12 players; 11 still to sign up. I'd prefer players with a modicum of experience, as this is not a normal game.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:43 pm

Post by jeep »

Why bother using a less suitable medium? Unless you are going to allow someone to edit posts.

-JEEP
PolarBoy
PolarBoy
PolarBoy

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:43 am

Post by PolarBoy »

Part of it is purely for experimentation. As to Wiki being a less suitable medium, I am doing things that can't be done on the board. Also if you read the rules you'd also see the unusual provisions for voting and keeping a position.

Return to “News”