Changing signups to hydras

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (isolation #0) » Sat May 14, 2016 2:29 am

Post by Toomai »

It's almost like a 13-player game should have 13 players in it.

But more seriously, to me this looks like: "Plan your hydra-ness before you /in. If the game fills up, and you try to hydra after that, you're being a nuisance."
This should be required reading for...everyone for anything, really.
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (isolation #1) » Tue May 17, 2016 4:06 pm

Post by Toomai »

In post 17, Zachrulez wrote:I mean the rule refers to people jumping the line. But I don't understand where the line jumping is taking place. The hydra is taking a spot in line that one of the people in the hydra already has isn't it? Changing that just feels like it's a rule meant to be openly hostile to hydras.
Consider the following:
  • Game is for 13 players.
  • 16 players /in. Obviously, the first 13 get in while 3 are left out for now until things are finalized.
  • The playerlist looks like this: [A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M] {N, O, P}
  • P joins a hydra with F.
  • J /outs.
  • Because the rule exists:
    • The playerlist is now: [A, B, C, D, E, G, H, I, K, L, M, N, O] {FP}
  • But if the rule did not exist:
    • The playerlist is now: [A, B, C, D, E, FP, G, H, I, K, L, M, N] {O}
    • Note how O /inned before P, but because P joined a hydra with someone already /in, P jumped the line.
All the rule is really saying is "The position of an inpromptu hydra in signups matches the position of its
latest
head, not its
earliest
head."
Toomai
Toomai
Goon
Toomai
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (isolation #2) » Tue May 17, 2016 5:18 pm

Post by Toomai »

I mean I wasn't trying to make a judgement as to whether it's a good rule, I just constructed a situation that seems to explain the "jumping the line" remark. Though frankly it's how things would work from a raw technical perspective (e.g. automated signupsTM); A /ins, B wants to hydra, and in order to do that A must /out so that AB can /in.

But really, as long as the mods are on the ball and signups are closed/the game begins the instant the game fills, I don't see how this rule can have much of a practical effect. (insert a few billion grains of salt)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”