Changing signups to hydras

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Changing signups to hydras

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Fri May 13, 2016 11:51 pm

Post by BNL »

(I decided that after some PMs with T-Bone, it's more worth it to bring this here than to continue the PM conversation)

So here's the new queue rule that was added to the Mini Theme and Micro queues recently:
Order of Players:
Players will be added to a game's sign-up list in the order in which they have signed up, first come first served. Players who sign up for a game but then decide to change their status to a hydra will be treated as if they /outed a game and then signed back up...even if doing so would bump that player from the game. This is to prevent players from being able to jump the line in a full or nearly full game.
Which I don't quite understand. Effectively what this does is, say, in the past, when too many people want to join a game, people would form hydras so that more than 13 players can fit into a mini game. Now this is no longer possible.

In which partial explanation is given, say if fifteen players join a mini theme, it'll be unfair on the fourteenth player if the fifteenth player who signed up later gets to play because he can find a hydra partner while the 14th can't. (I completely understand this because it just happened to me for the Micro that just launched)

But the rules go further than that and any instances of changing signups to hydras is punished. So for example, if the first two players hydra, they are removed from the queue, even if the intent is to allow another player into the game (also happened to me)... which is ridiculous (I'm tempted to say that this is my opinion but I can hardly see anyone disagreeing here), and I don't see the logic behind it.

Basically the effect of the new rule is that less people can play in a game, and I don't see the point of this.

My proposal: if two people in the queue change their signups to a hydra, the position is moved to the last of their signups (or to the end if one of them isn't a sign-up). This has the same effect as the current rules except that:
1. If two people already in the game hydra, they still remain in the game and are not pushed out (why should they be anyway?)
2. If a player in the game hydras with the person who just missed signups, they are still in the game. This isn't a problem because jumping the line doesn't happen.

(P.S. I've never played as a hydra before, though I do have one ready for a game)
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020
BNL
BNL
Micro Madness
BNL
Micro Madness
Micro Madness

Post Post #29 (isolation #1) » Tue May 17, 2016 10:50 pm

Post by BNL »

I think there might be some confusion as to what is going on:

The new rule in the queue is that when two people hydra they get pushed back to the end.
The old rule was that they take slot the first head originally occupied.
My proposed rule is that they take the last head occupied.

Nevertheless, there is one case the current rules have that hasn't been covered yet: If A and B hydra in that scenario with the new rules (if I'm understanding them correctly), they get bumped to the end. Someone explain how this could
possibly
be the right thing to do.
GTKAS - BNL

Busy, on indefinite V/LA. May return April 2020

Return to “Mafia Discussion”