Song Contest 100 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:05 am

Post by Plotinus »

finally finished listening to everything and revoted!

10 finland - Yundi Li - La Campanella by Franz Liszt
8.7 south korea - no mother land without you
8.5 pleasant island - poets of the fall - maybe tomorrow is a better day
8 belize - thrice - beggars
7 spain - the feelies - loveless love
6.7 mongolia - Black Violin - Stereotypes
6.5 The Federated States of Micronesia - Chris Cornell - Worried Moon
6.3 phillipines - Sara Bareilles - City (Live at the Fillmore)
6.2 portugal - Tool - Vicarious
6 greece - Twin Shadow - Old Love/New Love
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:08 am

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 199, Nachomamma8 wrote:Hong Kong - Teachings of a Ronin - My biggest complaint with this song is that it seems like a song that really wants to get higher energy than it does. When the music starts to reach a crescendo, his voice kind of gets drowned out by the music, doesn't match it. The lyrics are definitely enjoyable enough; most of them are things that you look at for a while and you go "haha! I get it! that's a good point!". I think the way that I view this song is more like a chant than a song; I like the way that it feels similar to a sutra although it's probably not the type of thing that I'd put on while going through a typical day.
The lyrics being drowned out by the crescendo and the lyrics/music mismatch is a criticism I have for it too, but I'd like to ask - do you consider it more of a chant and less like a song because the vocals don't have much of a range in tone? Where it's more talking than singing?
"and now i am TURNED ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" - KainTepes

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:55 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 195, Nachomamma8 wrote:Greenland - The Legend of Chavo Guerrero - The first time I listened to this song, I didn't like it. The second time (when I was more focused on the song), I loved it. I think that this is a very very fun song to listen to (which is of course one of the most important criteria for listening to songs in my book), and it's a bit strange because I don't like his voice that much and I don't think that the instruments are overly entertaining/revolutionary but the song as a whole is absolutely fantastic. I think does such a great job of describing, singing about hero worship; my idea of the song is mostly that it's about a kid who has an iffy relationship with his dad and sort of replaces him with Chavo Guerrero (lines "you let me down but Chavo never once did"/his lines about son getting famous and travelling with his dad). I guess it's as fitting as it is frustrating that I can't explain exactly why I love this song; I love how passionate this kid/man is about Chavo Guerrero and I love how the passion mostly comes from nowhere; Chavo isn't the greatest wrestler in the world, he's not really known anywhere outside of a couple areas, the kid can't really understand everything that's going on with him since he watches the telecast in Spanish and he doesn't understand most of it, he just feels a connection to Chavo, he sees something that he admires in Chavo and it sticks to him even as he grows up and becomes an adult. I love it.
Check out other Mountain Goats songs, a pretty heavy theme throughout most of the music is Josh Darnell's strained relationship with his shitty step-father.

(Note: I'm not Greenland)
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
kraska77
kraska77
Mafia Scum
kraska77
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:01 pm

Post by kraska77 »

i probably wont make deadline even after extension =( meh
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:13 pm

Post by xyzzy »

Spoiler: I put this in a spoiler because it's pretty long!
spain -- oh this starts out really nice. love this buildup. oh gosh that part just before two minutes in, it's good. it's good. I'm not the biggest fan of the vocals because it's just not the kind of voice I enjoy but what can you do. oooh the thing at just after 4:15 is good. the way this closes out feels a little out of nowhere but I like it
greenland -- the way this starts out really high energy is really good. the chorus is really great. the verse about halfway through the song is very, very good, and the verse immediately following that one is even better.
belize -- this is exactly the kind of thing I'd like to listen to on a long road trip when it's late at night and there's rain and everyone on the interstate is going about 30 miles an hour slower than they would be otherwise. that's the mood of this song and it's a good-ass mood. this is very much my shit under the right conditions although it's kind of a thing where it needs to be the right conditions for me to be into it, and those conditions are long road trip night rain. I don't think I'd want to listen to it out of that situation but hoo boy next time I'm in that situation
cote d'ivoire -- whoa 10 minutes long. I feel like I really would've loved this when I was in high school, so, like, let's pretend it's 2007 and then this is absolutely my shit. it's a little harder for me to get into now but it's still fun. back in high school I couldn't afford an actual iPod so you know what I did? I had a DS flashcart and I had like a 6 GB micro SD card (it was so fucking expensive for 6 GB) and I had a bunch of videogames on it obviously, like I still remember the feeling of hearing that an English copy of
Ace Attorney 4
had leaked and waiting until like 1 am to download it and immediately play it, anyway, I'm getting off the point, there was also a ton of great homebrew for that and there was this little app that puts the interface of an ipod on the touchscreen and that was how I listened to music back then. I wore the same hoodie every single day (I don't know how I didn't burn up? guess I was more willing to put up with temperatures that were higher than, like, 70 degrees fahrenheit) and I'd have headphones coming out of that and anyway this album apparently came out in 2002 and I can absolutely promise you I'd've listened to this exact song if I'd known it existed and it would've gotten me so pumped for high school geometry. I guess what I'm saying is I don't really care for this song overall but it takes me back. it just takes me back! I love to be taken back. I assume from the nonlyrical voice part about 8 and a half minutes in that there's some big story to this whole album and I probably would've found some jpgs of the liner notes and been like "OH YEAH" while listening to it
hong kong -- I was really excited for there to be some turn in this about 1:40 in and then it just didn't happen? maybe there will be a turn later. okay as we're approaching the 4 minute mark I'm feeling like there might be that turn soon. maybe not. I read the opening to this person's Wikipedia article and he sounds interesting but I'm not really all that interested in this song. this song just kind of builds up to nothing and then it ends.
pleasant island -- the description of this song says "i hope u like it :)" and you know what? so far I do. this sounds like the kind of song that would appear in a montage sequence in an action movie and I wouldn't really remember the song afterward but I'd have a fun time during that montage sequence. some nice fun choices involving instruments near the very end
usa -- this just really isn't my thing at all. I'm sorry.
uruguary -- I'm a bigger fan of the song entitled "Chicago" by Sufjan Stevens but this unrelated song with the same name is good too. I listened to one of I Fight Dragons' older albums a lot when I was younger and this song is pretty nice and is the sort of thing that could convince me to listen to their newer things. love those vocals 2 and a half minutes in. that's the kind of thing I am into. that's the fun thing to hear. the conclusion to this is nice
mali -- I don't really feel anything about this song. like it's not bad, it just don't give me any emotional reaction at all, which is disappointing.
australia -- this is a pretty fun video, and a pretty fun song. this is the kind of thing that I don't really fall in love with no matter how much I listened to it but I don't think I'd ever grow to hate it either.
macedonia -- I don't really like this very much because the vocals are just kind of grating. it's okay for about one listen. it's almost a little stressful listening to this, which isn't exactly a good thing. I don't completely hate it though?
isle of man -- oh this starts off very good and very fun. this reminds me a lot of things like Apples in stereo, and anything that reminds me of Apples in stereo is pretty good. also clicking a few links from their Wikipedia article reminded me that I have a ticket to a concert on Wednesday and I totally would've forgotten that otherwise!!! that would've been awful. thanks to this song for reminding me of that
albania -- this says it came out in 1993 and I absolutely believe it. nice.
south korea -- unsurprisingly, I don't particularly care for Kim Jong-Il as a person, but this song about him is okay. definitely captures that over the top patriotic feel.
the federated states of micronesia -- this is the kind of thing that I generally don't care for but I'm willing to put up with it. songs sung by dudes who are very clearly going out of their way to avoid enunciating words any more than possible just aren't my jam, but they're the kind of thing I'm willing to tolerate. I guess this person is mostly known for his involvement in various musical groups that I've not listened to? okay.
scotland -- I am bobbing my head from the very beginning of the song. not a big fan of this dude's voice but not the kind of voice I objectively hate either. this video isn't really anything special (a lot of weird imagery, but none of it feels really meaningful), but I'm more concerned about the music. and the music is pretty good. these vocals are pretty repetitive.
estonia -- holy shit yes
egypt -- this is pretty good and I enjoy it. it's a good song and if I heard it again I would probably say "ah yes I heard this during song contest 100 and was fond of it"
canada -- the beat in this doesn't sound right at all which is really distracting which is disappointing because I think I'd like this a lot otherwise but it just doesn't... sound right? I've never really listened to any kpop but this is nice for the most part. it's just really jarring
tajikistan -- I wasn't really feeling this until that moment about 80 seconds in when everything happens and then I was very much feeling this. it's good!
central african republic -- this was already very good before the lyrics started up and then it became even better. I am into it a lot. it goes on for quite a while longer than I necessarily feel like it needs to but I don't think there's a point where I stop enjoying it as a result of that. I started reading the about page for this website about 2/3 of the way through and was moderately interested by that. this little "play" icon seems to suggest that this song has been listened to all the way just 37 times. that's not very many times. really long songs like this also fit in the category of music that is good for long drives. this is the kind of thing that's good for zoning out as you drive through some bullshit state
chad -- I think we all had that one friend in high school who was into Christian alt rock who was basically a goth Catholic who eventually turned out to be kind of a shitty friend. this song reminds me of that friend. that's not to say it's bad, but I'm not fond of it.
mongolia -- damn. this is good. this is very good. this is in the "I will most certainly listen to more things by them" category, which isn't a very large category. very great music and very great video.
finland -- I'm into it. I probably won't ever listen to it again, but a good use of four and a half minutes of my life.
portugal -- ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
burkina faso -- this is nice and good and I'm into it a lot and it's very fast and very nice and it's very fun and I just have very positive feelings about this song
germany -- so this is literally just a song about the 1980s and how they were the best decade. as a Nineties Kid (TM) I reject the central premise of the song. plus everyone knows the best tribute to 80s music released this decade has been Carly Rae Jepsen's
E•MO•TION
. that's just a fact. that's a factual statement and you cannot argue that it's true.
afghanistan -- I'm not really very into this honestly but I don't hate it either. actually I take that back it's pretty nice. it just took me a little bit to get into it
uzbekistan -- this is okay but I'm not in love with it. I dunno, I don't really feel like I'm connecting with it on a very deep emotional level and that's disappointing because it feels like the kind of thing that I could be super into if it were just a tiny bit tweaked
india -- this is weird but I'm into it! it's real weird! but I like it! actually I gues those sentences imply that I like it in spite of its weirdness! let's clarify that by saying that I like it due to its weirdness!
sahrawi arab democratic republic -- this is nice and good and I'm into it a lot and this video is absolutely top notch
latvia -- this isn't really a thing I hate but I don't like it either. I couldn't really tell you why. it's just....... I'm not....... nah. sorry
ukraine -- this is fun and I am glad I am listening to it. it's not like I'm completely in love with it but I'm definitely into it and I'm having a fun time and this is a good video. this is calming and nice and it makes me feel weirdly emotional? not sure what's up with that but I'm glad I had the experience
serbia -- this makes me feel weird and strange and I'm not really feeling it. I'm basically the opposite of Shulk about this song. also I just checked and this song still has 7 more minutes to go, but I'm gonna have to call it quits early. I'm sorry I couldn't make it all the way through, friend
hungary -- this video is incredible and I probably wouldn't really care about this song without it but it elevates this to another level and I love this whole aesthetic. if this was the only music video left in the whole world I wouldn't really complain tbh
iceland -- this is okay but it's one of those things that fails to elicit a strong emotional reaction. these vocals are just kind of whatever. this song is too long. I was actively excited for this song to end and that's not a very good thing!
china -- this is energetic and fast and good! I am into it! it's good and fast and I like it! it's great!
greece -- the comments to this song tell me that this song was in the videogame
Grand Theft Auto V
. I don't remember this song being in that videogame. however, this song is much better than that videogame was, because it is not a very good videogame. this song is a good song.
republic of kugelmugel -- I don't have a Spotify account so I had to go to Google Music to listen to it but I did that and I'm glad I did because it's a good song. it's nice and I will place it on my list of songs that get points.
philippines -- this is comforting. if I were very sad this song would probably make me cry but crying would make me not so sad anymore.
bhutan -- this is a good closer for this and it's a good song. it makes me feel good.
Zachstralkita
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Zachstralkita
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:20 pm

Post by Zachstralkita »

In post 204, xyzzy wrote: uzbekistan -- this is okay but I'm not in love with it. I dunno, I don't really feel like I'm connecting with it on a very deep emotional level and that's disappointing because it feels like the kind of thing that I could be super into if it were just a tiny bit tweaked
I know exactly what you mean, I wish he had done another solid verse with more content.

That shit still resonates with my soul tho.

Also that thing with the vocals where it almost sounds like they're not clear or beat obstructs them a little. That may have been done intentionally? IDK.
SnowStorm
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:18 pm

Post by SnowStorm »

In post 195, Nachomamma8 wrote: Burkina Faso - Ding Sum - I think that this song is awesome. It's a song with excellent energy, and although there aren't exactly a crap ton of lyrics, the ones that are there are amazing if not creepy; the "you got robbed" line reassuring us after we're informed that we are wanting everything that we can't have and don't need is absolutely excellent and the fact that I have absolutely no idea what the hell "Ding Sum" is supposed to mean somehow only adds to the mystery. It goes without saying that I love that the sound is original but also not grating and horrible like other "original" things and she has a fantastic, amazing voice (and it doesn't hurt that the rest of the album is excellent as well). Thanks for this!
I'm so glad you liked it. This made my day. This is why I enter the SC, ofc there's the whole finding new music aspect, but I think what drives me more is seeing what other people like and entering music I like that they might too. It's kinda like sharing presents on Christmas. So I'm happy that someone liked my gift as much as you did. :] - Also because I'm so in love with this album.

On another note, your reviews are so good that now I feel bad for posting notes as wordy and thorough as "meh", "Ugh" or "ehhhhh".
SnowStorm
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:37 pm

Post by SnowStorm »

In post 198, TheWayItEnds wrote:
In post 186, SnowStorm wrote:Chad - Finally, a Chad song I don't dislike.
This surprises me.

this isnt even the first song in this vein of music ive entered.
Idk, I don't remember anything as good as this. It might have been the vocals. What I usually don't like in this kind of music is that the vocalist sounds too whiny or there's some off-putting screaming. This one just sounds like a quite nice rock song.
kraska77
kraska77
Mafia Scum
kraska77
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:37 am

Post by kraska77 »

i listened to only the first 30 sec of most of these

estonia- no 3/10
egypt- meh 4/10
canada- 3/10
tajikistan- nice 6/10
CAR- very nice 7/10
chad- shit this one sucks so bad 1/10
mongolia- 4/10
finland- 5/10
portugal- 4/10
burkina faso- omg i love this 8/10
germany- jesusfuck this one's annoying as fuck 1/10
afghanistan- love <3 8/10
uzbekistan- 4/10
india- whoa 7/10
Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic- love this 7.5/10
latvia- 3/10
ukraine- nice feelgood song =) 5/10
serbia- beautiful 10/10
hungary- holy fucking shit the video i cant stop laffing...i actually love this tho 7/10
iceland- meh 4/10
china- 3edgy5me 1/10
greece- meh. why do all songs sound like this these days 4/10
Republic of Kugelmugel- 3/10
philippines- 3/10
bhutan- wow...9/10
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:17 am

Post by Porochaz »

Gah I've lost my scoring I did on thursday. Managed to recover most of it (all bar 2) so will do it asap.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:30 am

Post by Porochaz »

Ok... it was one of those contests with 4 tied songs between 9th - 12th and all the songs between 9th and 16th were within 1 point.

The contest got a lot better towards the end, second half was better than the first.

(Listening to 30 secs of songs btw... your better off not voting. Songs change a lot in between the first 30 seconds and the middle and then the end.)
SnowStorm
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
SnowStorm
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:21 am

Post by SnowStorm »

Votes sent. Those last spots were tough. I would have given points to 10 more songs if I could.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:24 am

Post by Parama »

yeah don't do that kraska might as well just not vote and take the ban
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
TheWayItEnds
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
TheWayItEnds
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Post by TheWayItEnds »

the end of my song is by far the best part.
As the last rays of sunlight fade, one killer chases another through the tangled madness of the city.
A flash of steel announces the presence of his quarry.
The stage is set.
The night explodes.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:13 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

I'll usually skip the first 30 seconds on the second go-round.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Apricity
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Apricity
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:17 pm

Post by Apricity »

Great. I was just going to finish the last few songs before the site crashed (that wasn't just me right?)...I'll finish up now.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:20 am

Post by Porochaz »

Parama wrote:yeah don't do that kraska might as well just not vote and take the ban
In post 3, Song Contest wrote:I'm also going to tweak the rules. If you don't vote, you will not be banned from the next song contest.
But yeah, there's no point in the contest if you don't listen properly. But we've had this conversation so many times before Parama.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:36 am

Post by Parama »

poro, i listened all the way through 37 of the 41 songs this contest (three of them i already knew, including my own, and the fourth was so godawful i couldn't finish it), and about half of them a second time. so shut the hell up?
where the hell did you ever get the impression that i don't listen through all the songs anyways?
Show

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:15 pm

Post by Song Contest »

ANNOUNCEMENT: I will start posting results at 7 p.m. Pacific time (GMT-8) tomorrow. All votes are due by the time I start posting results.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:00 pm

Post by Parama »

the rabble has begun
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

notachipmunk
notachipmunk
she
Goon
notachipmunk
she
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: she

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:43 pm

Post by notachipmunk »

If a Parama rabbles in the forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it still rabble?
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:51 pm

Post by Parama »

Spoiler: the answer
rabble
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

KuroiXHF
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
KuroiXHF
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:21 pm

Post by KuroiXHF »

In post 218, Song Contest wrote:
ANNOUNCEMENT: I will start posting results at 7 p.m. Pacific time (GMT-8) tomorrow. All votes are due by the time I start posting results.
I want this user banned so I can know his alts.
"and now i am TURNED ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!" - KainTepes

I'm regularly V/LA on the weekends. If this is the weekend and I've not said otherwise, please assume I'm on V/LA.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:19 pm

Post by PranaDevil »

To all old timers... you disappoint me. Surely you all should have realised who entered Spray?

Halloween isn't quite over, I'm back and so is my taste in music. ^_^
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:28 pm

Post by Parama »

i have no clue who spray is and can't recall the song at all but i am glad a smiling hedgehog has returned
Show

GET TO KNOW ME

Return to “General Discussion”