Pokemon TCG

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:15 am

Post by Isis »

In hindsight I think I should have played another ultra ball

It feels so bad to be a deck that cant leverage battle vip pass that well in this standard format. The card you're playing to make sure you get your linchpin t1 basic is to discard two cards and get your basic. The card the other decks are playing to make sure they get their turn1 linchpin basic is discard 0 cards and get an extra utility basic for funzes.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:40 am

Post by Isis »

The silver tempest card I'm most excited by in the spoilers so far is definitely Jynx. 100 HP psychic. Ability: if knocked out by damage from a Pokemon V, yields no prizes. One attack, Psychic: two colorless to use it, deal 10 damage plus one damage for each damage already on defending pokemon. 2 energy retreat.

I think giving her an attack that relies on the support of other pokemon is a clever way to make sure she's not just used in control or not just thrown at people in a spam, but then it's still a powerful enough attack to consider. I hope she's good enough.
I don't usually play six prize decks so I may not get to use her. In the current environment forcing a boss with her would feel like you did the thing, but when Serena in the same set comes out I think lists are going to become like 3-4 Serena 1 Boss. Serena is a boss that only works on pokemon Vs that has an alternate mode to draw a few cards.

So Jynx will be more powerful in decks that can exhaust bosses by pokemon V.
If Serena is worse than I think I'll be delighted to use Jynx as a wedge in between charging up Vs.

I'd bet very little money on my spoiler spec because I'm not as good as pokemon as I was at magic as of right now.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:39 am

Post by Isis »

I'm having a very wild Mandela effect moment.

When I was high school or college aged I ordered a Magikarp Gyarados deck online that was a meta netdeck to play. My dad was willing to pay for it as a hobby. The deck focused on getting Magikarp and or Gyarados into the discard pile so Magikarp, for no or low energy, could attack really hard based on the number in discard. Unless it was gyarados. Attacking. I'm not sure on that part. The part I was really sure about was that the most expensive card in the deck was Azelf and Azelf was in all the meta decks and Azelf was a basic pokemon with ability "when you play this from your hand onto your bench, draw until you have 7 cards in hand". And I thought it was pretty broken. The Azelf is the part I am the most sure about, aside from trying to look it up just now and finding it not existent.
All eight azelfs I turn up on search don't draw up on benching. How can that be??? I dreamed this Azelf.

My memory has a remarkable amount of false confidence.
Usually a Mandela effect type memory is related to something real. There are so many "pixie style legendaries" it must have been one of the others? Or maybe the deck had a brutish pokemon that drew up to 7 and then a tiny pixie like pokemon with a different effect and I exchanged them in my mind over the years who knows. I feel like if the card is not all over expanded decklists it probably actually draws up to 5 and I exaggerated in my memory. Probably not 6, because the memory would feel even instead of odd.

Nowadays there is crobat v but it is susceptible to "special pokemon" hate, and gives up 2 prizes, and doesn't draw that 7th card, seven is so much more than six. I was pretty emphatic about it expecting the Azelf to at least have a legendary rule but according to the memory it did not
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:41 am

Post by Isis »

Ok it turned out to be Uxie by Occam's razor.

WOW IT'S 7
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:54 am

Post by Isis »

All the expanded decklists I can view are from 2020 and use shaymin ex instead
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:55 am

Post by Isis »

Shaymin ex ban: "The sheer amount of card drawing provided by Shaymin-EX's Set Up Ability allowed dangerous combo decks to function at an alarmingly consistent rate. With the introduction of Scoop Up Net, it became too easy to use Set Up repeatedly in a single turn. Crobat V and Dedenne-GX provide effects similar to Shaymin-EX, so this type of card isn't gone completely, but their Dark Asset and Dedechange Abilities are limited to one use per turn."
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:57 am

Post by Isis »

Uxie has no limit.
Either the 80th, 90th, 100th, and 110th points of HP are really important in expanded in a way I don't know about or... What?
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:59 am

Post by Isis »

Am I misreading the card idk
"Well, I..."
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:46 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

In post 153, Isis wrote:Ok it turned out to be Uxie by Occam's razor.

WOW IT'S 7
Yeah it was Uxie, that was the meta back when I played in elementary school. Only card I've ever proxied in Pokemon or Magic so far!

I want to say Claydol had a similar effect around the same time, but that was probably awkward since it's an evolution?
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:50 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

This version it looks like. Yeah that seems good too!
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:12 pm

Post by Isis »

Thats way more powerful than the Bibarel in standard now.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:42 am

Post by Isis »

My hot take for silver tempest is that Coloress' Experiment(yea and by extension its decks except maybe people getting in with a cramorant) and Marnie will become Bad Cards because Serena is a transcendently good auto 4-of wish it was 5 of and both those supporters interact poorly with your own Serena or opponent's Serena.
Ok by Bad Card I mean you can run 4 Marnie with a straight face right now and it will cap out at 2 after. With Experiment saying that your run fewer than four is equivalent to saying you run zero.
This is loosely related to the topic this thread was on because it's gonna be Bibarel for dayz.
Professor's research will stay good.

It's harder to say which pokemon will be strong there's so many in contender range
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:29 pm

Post by Isis »

Standard meta is now like

Goodra hardcounters palkia, evenish with giratina, hardcounters regis, scoops to blissey, scoops to Kyurem

Regis beats giratina, beats both Kyurem and palkia, probably has a soft struggle against blissey, loses to goodra

Palkia beats Kyurem (I assume this because otherwise idk why people aren't all playing Kyurem), should beat blissey but not for free, should beat giratina but not for free, loses to Regis, loses to goodra. Kyurem does all those same things except for winning against goodra instead.

Giratina runs close with goodra, palkia, and Kyurem, but surely struggles against Regis and wrecks blissey in exchange.

Mew is weird because it depends whether people play drapion since it says drapion says "win against mew" on it. Palkia doesn't even need to play hate and Regis definitely doesn't need to play hate so I'm not sure it feels good to play mew atm.
I think lost dialga isn't a deck because you have a bad version of giratina's spread. I think lost box isn't a deck because you have a bad version of Regis spread and lose head to head. I love flying Pikachu Arceus and want it to be a deck but I don't think it's a deck because it has a bad version of goodra's matchup spread (last regionals top 8, goodra and flying Pikachu squashed all the regi decks and then goodra took gold from flying Pikachu).

Blissey hasn't top8ed but I think it has become part of the equilibrium strategies after goodra's establishment since that's its prey.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:45 am

Post by Isis »

Oh blissey top8ed lille. Even though Kyurem showed up more

Deck is good
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:09 pm

Post by Isis »

You can win on turn 2 with mill with the new Lairon card Ythan
"Well, I..."
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:03 am

Post by Ythan »

Spoiler:
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:02 am

Post by Ythan »

Incidentally that's the face of a wizard who just milled out but I'm not sure how the flavor translates to Pokemon.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:07 pm

Post by Isis »

Isis Silver Tempest set review

Jynx and Serena previously rambled. Very bad cards not rambled.
Spoiler: Ariados
#004 Ariados – Grass – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Spinarak

Ability: String of Shade
As long as this Pokemon is in play, the attacks of your opponent’s Pokemon VSTAR cost [C] more. You can’t apply more than 1 String of Shade Ability at a time.

[G][C] Pierce: 50 damage.

This effect feels like what you expect to get "paid" for putting a bench-ability stage 1 in play, but only when no special case is nullifying it. The two special cases I mainly see is: the enemy deck doesn't use v stars and: you're going second. Its text isn't blanked if you're going second, but if you're going second your opponent's deck is designed to precisely power up the Vstar for its first attack, so it will then have an extra attach per turn for its second attack after this comes down.

Control still might use it. Control is usually playing Peonia ( exchange some cards in your hand with your prizes) so they can play one Ariados one Spinarak. Everyone else is getting more frustrated running dupes to not prize part of the line but then being forbidden from making 2.

Spoiler: Serperior Vstar
#008 Serperior VSTAR – Grass – HP270
VSTAR – Evolves from Serperior V

[G][C][C] Royal Tornado: 190 damage. Move any amount of Energy from your Pokemon to your other Pokemon in any way you like.

[G] Coiling Star (VSTAR Power): 60x damage. This attack 60 damage for each Energy attached to this Pokemon. Switch this Pokemon with 1 of your Benched Pokemon. (You can’t use more than 1 VSTAR Power in a game.)

When your Pokemon V is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 0

It's like a bad Arceus Vstar except it has free retreat and sometimes free retreat is neato.
4x Gardenia's vigor decks haven't shown up yet, since retreat is a major issue with that card this could be the trick, possibly. Maybe.

Spoiler: Chesnaught V
015 Chesnaught V – Grass – HP230
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Spiky Striker
As long as this Pokemon is in play, whenever your Active Chesnaught V is damaged by an attack from your opponent’s Pokemon, put 3 damage counters on the Attacking Pokemon.

[G][G][C] Touchdown: 130 damage. Heal 30 damage from this Pokemon.

Resistance: None
Retreat: 4

Don't do it your opponent will play Path to the Peak and you will cry.

Spoiler: Radiant Tsareena
016 Radiant Tsareena – Grass – HP140
Basic Pokemon

You can’t have more than 1 Radiant Pokemon in your deck.

Ability: Elegant Treatment
Once during your turn, you may heal 20 damage from each of your Pokemon.

[G][C][C] Perfume Shot: 90 damage. Remove all Special Conditions from this Pokemon.

Retreat: 2

Damage prevention pokemon is better. The only reason it's not better in the case of stadiums because stadiums are bumpable so they're more use or lose.

Spoiler: Rapidash
#022 Rapidash – Fire – HP100
Stage 1 – Evolves from Ponyta

Ability: Heat Boost
Once during your turn, you may discard an [R] Energy from your hand. If you do, until the end of your turn, attacks of your [R] Pokemon do 30 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

[R][C] Fire Mane: 60 damage.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Retreat: 1

People wanna use this with Radiant Charizard because 280 is a magic number.
With training court it's more card efficient than choice belt after you knockout the third Vstar.
Friends, when Charizard knocks out the second Vstar the game has ended. Play choice belt
Spoiler: Delphox
027 Delphox – Fire – HP150
Stage 2 – Evolves from Braixen

[C] Flare Parade: 60x damage. This attack does 60 damage for each Serena you have in your discard pile.

[C][C] Energy Crush: 50x damage. This attack does 50 damage for each Energy your opponent has in play.

Weakness: Water (x2)

The middle evolution can Flare Parade for two energy.
If Serena was immune to being prized somehow I feel like this could be a thing. Maybe it's still a thing. Putting fewer energy in your deck can be pretty damn nice, especially if it's all special colorless energy with bonus effects. This feels close but no, not there. You can one for one most other water pokemon but a couple like Greninja exploit the weakness.
Spoiler: Alolan Vulpix Vstar
034 Alolan Vulpix VSTAR – Water – HP240
VSTAR Pokemon – Evolves from Alolan Vulpix V

[W][C][C] Snow Mirage: 160 damage. This attack’s damage isn’t affected by effects on your opponent’s Active Pokemon. During your opponent’s next turn, prevent all damage done to this Pokemon from Pokemon with Abilities.

[.] Silver Snow Star (VSTAR Power): 70x damage. This attack does 70 damage times the number of your opponent’s Pokemon V. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance.) (You can’t use more than 1 VSTAR Power in a game.)

One of the exciting set headliners! You can get cheeky against plenty of Lost Origin format decks with Snow Mirage: Palkia, Blissey, Goodra. The Vstar attack can ohko mew Vmax so the line can even be considered you mew hate quota. A Vulpix deck needs a different strategy in the deck too for matchups where snow mirage does little, though, like Lost giratina and Regis. Losing to the new Regidrago may be bad.

Spoiler: Wailord
038 Wailord – Water – HP200
Stage 1 – Evolves from Wailmer

Ability: Oversized
This Pokemon takes 30 less damage from attacks from your opponent’s Pokémon (after applying Weakness and Resistance).

[W][W][W][C] Special Waves: 120+ damage. If this Pokemon has any Special Energy attached, this attack does 120 more damage.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Retreat: 4

Ahh this pokemon! 230 HP against OHKOs before adding effects. Mew needs half their deck's power tablets to get just one prize! Choice belt doesn't work! 240 damage for one more energy than fringe playable Zarude V but we're talking about a one prize pokemon.
The special energy is easy to meet because special water energy counts as water energy for Frosmoth and the colorless energy can be a special energy too. 240 damage is enough to hit the magic 280 with Choice belt plus Zigzagoon which is something leafeon Vmax has done in tier 1.5.

EDIT: I think a content creator misled me, "read the flipping card" implies that Wash Energy can't cooperate with any effect that pulls it from deck or discard on the basis of it being a water energy because it only provides water energy "as long as it's attached to a Pokemon."
This has a an impact on Wailord's playability and I have to be more bearish now. It's an eyebrow raiser though.
Spoiler: Glalie
042 Glalie – Water – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Snorunt

[W][C][C] Bite: 60 damage.

[C][C][C][C] Big Mouth: 130+ damage. If you played Candice from your hand during this turn, this attack does 130 more damage.

Weakness: Metal (x2)

Candice is a supporter card that says to look at the top 7 and put all water pokemon and water energy into your hand then shuffle the other stuff away. She's not good, you'll usually draw two cards. There's some deckbuilding stuff you could do to make it feel like three
260 is a lot of damage for a one prize pokemon though. Twin Energy is in the format.
I'm intrigued but it's much less promising than Wailord. Playing snorunt and attaching a twin energy to it and having your opponent spend all their resources to gust it into the active and kill it then saying "ok, now I play lumineon and search for [good supporter that isn't Candice]" sounds kind of in line with the strategy of a persistent 1 prize deck or hybrid 1 prize deck.
Spoiler: Regileki Vmax
#058 Regieleki VMAX – Electric – HP310
VMAX (Dynamax) – Evolves from Regieleki V

Ability: Transistor
The attacks of your Basic [L] Pokemon do 30 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokemon.

Max Thunderstrike: 220 damage. During your next turn, this Pokemon can’t attack.

When your Pokemon VMAX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 3 Prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)

This is like a really large Rapidash that doesn't have to discard energy and can't improve evolution pokemon. Vikavolt V is a tier 2 (2.5?) deck with straggly regional performances. Raikou V has done even worse, which is a shame because that card is actually trying to do damage and Vikavolt is trying to handlock. There's a Zeroaora I can't link because I can't spell it that hits for 160 but nothing interesting happens between 160 and 190. This card just seems lost.

Spoiler: Radiant Alakazam
059 Radiant Alakazam – Psychic – HP130
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Spoonful of Pain
Once during your turn, you may move up to 2 damage counters from 1 of your opponent’s Pokemon to another 1 of their Pokemon.

[P][C] Mind Ruler: 20x damage. This attack does 20 damage for each card in your opponent’s hand.

There's decks where this attack goes hard. The ability is definitely either going to have a math situation where it is getting kills frequently off of common damage amounts, or it isn't. Right now I can't think of a deck that is leaving stuff at 20 HP after damaging something else a lot.
Spoiler: Hypno
061 Hypno – Psychic – HP110
Stage 1 – Evolves from Drowzee

[P] Psychedelic Call: Search your deck for up to 2 Stage 1 Pokemon and put them onto your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck.

[P][P][C] Zen Headbutt: 90 damage.

Weakness: Darkness (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-30)

One aspect of ptcg design is that stage 1 pokemon frequently have effects that will hose a specific deck really well. The design logic seems to be hey, if you committed 4 slots to this pokemon, you deserve a specific matchup to really get flipped hard .
It's been a long while since standard has presented a tier strength version of it, but zorark decks break the spirit of the design rule to include lots of 1-of matchupspecific pokemon without the baby pokemon. If hypno is good enough for that kind of strategy I could see him tagging along with zoroark, zoroark 5-6-7-8.

A lot of the issue with the deck has been fighting decks that don't have a stage one Achilles heel in the card pool.

Spoiler: Kirlia
068 Kirlia – Psychic – HP80
Stage 1 – Evolves from Ralts

Ability: Refine
Once during your turn you may discard 1 card from your hand, then draw 2 cards.

[P][C] Slap: 30 damage.

Spoiler: Gardevoir
069 Gardevoir – Psychic – HP150
Stage 2 – Evolves from Kirlia

Ability: Refine
Once during your turn you may discard 1 card from your hand, then draw 2 cards.

[P][C] Magical Shot: 120 damage.

Several cards with this ability have been playable stage 1s.
I need a judge to tell me whether you can go refine, evolve it, refine. That seems strong. Inteleon and drizzle have also shown how pokemon with high utility and a medium attack can be useful.

Spoiler: Mawile Vstar
#071 Mawile VSTAR – Psychic – HP260
VSTAR – Evolves from Mawile V

[C][C] Sudden Eater: 90+ damage. If this Pokemon moved from your Bench to the Active Spot this turn, this attack does 90 more damage.

Ability: Star Rondo (VSTAR Power)
During your turn, if this Pokemon is on your bench, you may use this Ability. Switch this Pokemon with your Active Pokemon. Then, switch 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon with their Active Pokemon. (You can’t use more than 1 VSTAR Power in a game.)

When your Pokemon VSTAR is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Mawile is my favorite pokemon I'm so biased.
260-180 are poor numbers for a Vstar, but her upsides are low color commitment and low energy commitment. Those could be especially relevant upsides for decks that are like "hey I have a Vstar marker I'm allowed to use once per game but my strategy doesn't naturally want to mobilize this resource".

180 is a magic number when paired with 110 or 100, Cramorant is the card most commonly bringing up that number, and in a deck that already retreats a lot.

This card is worth watching but could very well just turn out to be too weak on numbers.

Spoiler: Meowstic
082 Meowstic – Psychic – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Espurr

Ability: Beckoning Ears
When you play this Pokemon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokemon during your turn, you may search your deck for up to 2 Supporter cards and put them into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

[P][C][C] Super Psy: 80 damage.

You will play one supporter and then your opponent will use hand disruption on the other one.

UNLESS you're playing Delphox Serena and discard Serena to Serena, plus a Serena you drew the hard way. That's the spice.

Spoiler: Crobat
#105 Crobat – Darkness – HP130
Stage 2 – Evolves from Golbat

[D] Poison Fang: 50 damage. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Poisoned.

[C][C][C] Critical Bite: This attack does 30 damage to 1 of your opponent’s Pokemon. If any of your oppoment’s Pokemon was Knocked Out by damage from this attack, take 2 more prize cards.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)

I think there's just too much Manaphy. This card is intriguing if and only if you don't have to play that obscure three card combo of item cards that lets you go around Manaphy. Because people do that occasionally but they do that because they had resources that aren't the 5-6 cards used to assemble this bat.
Spoiler: Radiant Jirachi
120 Radiant Jirachi – Metal – HP90
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Pass a Wish
If this Pokemon is Knocked Out by damage from an opponent’s attack, search your deck for up to 3 cards and put them into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

[C][C] Stellar Doom: Flip 2 coins. If both are heads, your opponent’s Active Pokemon is Knocked Out.

Don't do this. Your opponent will play a path and you will cry.
Path seems far from irrelevance or rotation but this is such an interesting card if Path wasn't a problem here. Especially for control.

Spoiler: KlingKlang
125 Klinklang – Metal – HP160
Stage 2 – Evolves from Klang

Ability: Triple Gear
When you play this Pokemon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokemon during your turn, you may search your deck for up to 3 basic Energy cards and attach them to your Pokemon in any way you like. Then, shuffle your deck.

[M][C][C] Power Beam: 130 damage.

Resistance: Grass (-30)
Retreat: 3

Like a deal of 4 large pizzas for 11$ each for a solo diner, this seems like a fair rate, but more of the resource than you actually need. 2 accelerations is the most you can use. Arceus Vstar gets 3 energy too yes. It's also overbulk but it's asking less it's 4 pizzas for 6$ each okay

Spoiler: Dragonite
#131 Dragonite – Dragon – HP160
Stage 2 – Evolves from Dragonair

[C][C][C] Dragon Claw: 80 damage.

[W][L][C][C] Energy Hurricane: 180 damage. Search your deck for up to 3 Basic Energy cards and attach them to your Pokemon in any way you like. Then, shuffle your deck.
the only use is to put this in your discard for Regidrago Vstar which is the next card.

Spoiler: Regidrago Vstar
#136 Regidrago VSTAR – Dragon – HP280
VSTAR – Evolves from Regidrago V

[G][G][R] Dragon Dream: Choose the attack from a Dragon-type Pokemon in your discard pile and use it as this attack

Ability: Legacy Star (VSTAR Power)
Once during your turn, you may discard 7 cards from the top of your deck. Then, you may choose up to 2 cards from your discard pile, reveal them, and put them in your hand. (You can’t use more than 1 VSTAR Power in a game.)

This is my pick for best card in the set and I'm even worried it will be so overbearingly strong that it feels bad, so I hope I'm wrong. I plan to try out the deck for this card early to potentially play at regionals.
The Vstar power obviously synergizes with the attack, but in earnestly not that much, the attack sources will be 1-ofs. But you don't have to put other vstars in your deck to get value from your Vstar marker so that's great.
The best 4 attacks in the card pool are goodra Vstar (200 plus an 80 damage shield), Dragonite above, Duraladon (220 and ignore effects, so solve the miltank problem with one card slot repeatedly), and Giratina Vstar (280 damage, banish 2 energy from any of your pokemon). Outside of those there's a couple bench snipers that might be too annoyed by Manaphy to feel worth playing.
What makes this deck seem like impending dominance is that Goodra Vstar and Giratina Vstar both headline decks already at 280ish HP, and they each have a weakness in their attack that can be complemented by these other attacks. Goodra Vstar can't deal with Miltank or ohko a 280. Giratina can't keep attacking at repeated -2 energy sometimes, but Goodra provides -0 and Dragonite offers +3.
Dragon types have no weakness and pokemon doesn't let you remove cards from your opponent's discard pile.

The big question people are curious about is the best support package. I like leafeon V for energy although it's a little scrunkly. I think drawing only 2 cards and hoping one of them is switch is also a little scrunkly if you adopt the popular angle of Gardenia's vigor. None of the popular draw engines have synergy or antisynergy with Regidrago so that's an interesting pick to see what floats to the top.
Energy control could be the best counter to Regidrago, maybe. It also might brick itself?
EDIT: Leafeon Vmax can exploit its retreat cost box rather than its weakness box, but I want to include Leafeon Vmax in my flavor of the deck hopefully so it's mirrory.

Spoiler: Lugia and archeops
139 Lugia VSTAR – Colorless – HP280
VSTAR – Evolves from Lugia V

[C][C][C][C] Storm Dive: 220 damage. You may discard the Stadium in play.

Ability: Assemble Star (VSTAR Power)
You may use this during your turn. Choose up to 2 [C] Pokemon from your discard pile, except for Pokémon with a Rule Box, and put them on your Bench. (Pokemon V, Pokemon-GX, etc. have Rule Boxes). (You can’t use more than 1 VSTAR Power in a game.)

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-30)

147 Archeops – Colorless – HP150
Stage 2 – Evolves from Archen

Ability: Primal Turbo
Once during your turn, you may search your deck for up to 2 Special Energy cards and attach them to 1 of your Pokemon. Then, shuffle your deck.

[C][C][C] Speed Wing: 120 damage.

This is an obvious combo they put in the set. Along with Lance, a supporter to search for three normal pokemon.

I feel like it's scrunkly and not tier 1. You either do double archeops or archeops Bibarel because there's very poor backup options.
And the archeops will like, get all your energy and then you can't shuffle it back because only special energy can normally be recycled. Palkia Vstar deck gets 3 energy, which in a streamlined pokemon deck is "basically all of it" but Palkia is allowed to recycle it and Palkia's attack is better.
Special energies have cool effects. There's some new ones this set. I think if the colored special energies can do a cool thing that I'm not thinking of, that is the answer more so than the more obvious Lugia deck.

Spoiler: Capture Aroma
#153 Capture Aroma – Trainer
Item

Flip a coin. If heads, search your deck for an Evolution Pokemon, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If tails, search your deck for a Basic Pokémon, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you searched your deck in this way, shuffle your deck.

You may play any number of Item cards during your turn.

Flips are bad. However if you pair this with a pokemon search that gets either kind then it sort of isn't a flip if you need one of each, which is how it usually is. This could be a power increase for decks with an evolving draw engine line. If it's your attacker that's trying to evolve I think it's a greater liability.

Spoiler: Forest Seal
156 Forest Seal Stone – Trainer
Item

Pokemon Tool: Attach a Pokemon Tool to 1 of your Pokemon that doesn’t already have a Pokemon Tool attached.

The Pokemon V this card is attached to can use this VSTAR Power.

Ability: Star Alchemy (VSTAR Power)
During you turn, you may search your deck for any 1 card and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck. (You can’t use more than 1 VSTAR Power in a game.)

Appropriately considered one of the best cards in the set. Strict upgrade to Mew Vmax deck because that deck cannot use other Vstar Powers. Any deck struggling to benefit from its Vstar power enjoys this. As a rules oddity this card evades Path to the Peak, but decks that search for this card could have just searched for a stadium if they were upset that Path was blocking their Plan A Vstar power. What is nice is that a deck like Blissey Miltank can play this card and deploy their own Paths! Blissey Miltank is gonna get schwrecked by Regidrago lol that was just an example.
Nice card.

Spoiler: Leafy Camp
#160 Leafy Camo Poncho – Trainer
Item – Pokemon Tool

Attach a Pokemon Tool to 1 of your Pokémon that doesn’t already have a Pokemon Tool attached.

If the Pokemon this card is attached to is a Pokemon VSTAR or Pokemon VMAX, whenever your opponent plays a Supporter card from their hand, prevent all effects of that card done to that Pokemon.

You may play any number of Item cards during your turn.

So boss's orders is the main supporter that hits pokemon. Unfortunately there is a widely played item card called cross switcher with the same effect. So the pokemon that does this effect is seeing little use, though it does see a little bit of play. An item is better, this could see a bit more use.

Spoiler: Worker
167 Worker – Trainer
Supporter

Draw 3 cards. Discard a Stadium in play.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn.

Currently pumpkaboo is the best searchable way to remove Path. Now it will be Lumineon-->Worker. Pumpkaboo is a BABY with BABY hp. .
Stadiums also remove stadiums but they aren't easily searchable without Drizzile.
Spoiler: Shield energy
#169 V Guard Energy – Energy
Special Energy

As long as this card is attached to a Pokemon, it provides [C] Energy.

The Pokemon this card is attached to takes 30 less damage from the attacks of your opponent’s Pokemon V. You can’t apply this effect of V Guard Energy more than once on a Pokemon.

This is pretty strong to combo with Hisuian Goodra Vstar but since Hisuian Goodra Vstar is wrecked by Miltank so much more than Regidrago does she still probably gets usurped. Various Arceus decks could try to use it to reclaim the strategy of Big Charm plus Cheren's Care that worked so well in spring. Any deck can use it but other energies may be more useful oftentimes.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:07 pm

Post by Isis »

i was very wrong about lugia it's so strong

this meta is way worse than the previous one and i'm sad

i'll play regis or lugia at regionals i guess

also my previous post had an awful flub you can't use lumineon/worker to remove path
"Well, I..."
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:00 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

Is Miltank good?
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:24 pm

Post by Isis »

Blissey Miltank's stock is way down with the introduction of Lost Tempest because Serena can pull Blissey out early at lower versatility cost than Boss's Orders and Lugia Vstar can OHKO the Blissey even with cape.

Miltank is now competing with Jynx because she has a similar, but different, effect, of not yielding a prize when she dies to a V, and she has a situationally better situationally worse attack. Because Miltank is an effect the prevents damage and Duraladon, Giratina, and Mew explicitly nullify damage prevention effects, they aren't blocked by Miltank but are robbed by Jynx.

It doesn't seem hopeless that a context for Miltank will emerge, though. Miltank can KO Meloetta, Jynx can't, and Meloetta's partner Mew has to have either an additional Mew or two psychic to ignore Miltank's ability so the difference in immunities might not matter in the early game. Similarly, Miltank starting in the active against Lugia can strike for setup damage, and Jynx can't, so Miltank could prove a good card for early plays punishing Lugia decks that play no switching cards at all.

Friday night the Lost Box player who won the swiss portion of the tournament was playing with the deck's Miltank removed and Jynx included instead, for Lost Box this seems incontrovertibly correct because Cramorant is an earlygame attacker competing for attention in that deck, so the pokemon are vying for midgame and lategame roles.

I think it's often the case that right after a new set comes out Miltank usage drops until people decide what pokemon it is they'd like to protect.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:24 pm

Post by Isis »

I played a Miltank on Friday and won or drew every game I played it in
"Well, I..."
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:30 pm

Post by Ythan »

I always correct my kid friend when he says kill or die in the context of Pokemon.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:54 am

Post by Isis »

I have to correct myself a lot and don't always manage
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:22 am

Post by Isis »

Imma post tonight's decklist mostly to test my own memorization
"Well, I..."

Return to “The Arcade”