A Ranking Of Simpsons Memes That Feature Raymond J. Johnson

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:26 am

Post by GeorgeBailey »

Yoooo I've seen some of these on Bortposting.

Amazing.
GeorgeBailey
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:28 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Bump
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:47 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

Maybe we can call Haschel washed up, I don't think he does three memes a day anymore
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:09 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

I don't have them ranked yet but let me see what I can do.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:41 am

BATCH 2

This meme is from a Halloween episode and it suffers a bit from requiring a few different layers of connections. First, you have to remember that the original scene has Patty saying "You've finally left Durwood". Then, you have to recognize that as a reference to the 60s TV show "Bewitched", where the mother-in-law Endora could never be bothered to remember Darren's name. Then, you have to notice the added comma that changes the object of Selma's sentence. Finally, you have to extrapolate how Ray will react since I didn't include it on-panel. It's still funny, but it's admittedly a long way to go for only a moderate amount of payoff.

This one also needs context. In the SomethingAwful thread dedicated to r/relationships, a common catchphrase is that particularly terrible partners deserve to be lowered into an acid vat. At one point, some users accused the acid vat meme of being overused and unfunny. In the ensuring slapfight I dropped this meme. It got a good reaction, but it was incredibly hyperspecific to the point I didn't even bother sharing it on Facebook.

Sometimes the universe sends you a sign. The Tampa Bay Rays and the Toronto Blue Jays both got knocked out of the MLB playoffs on the same day. With low-hanging fruit like that, how could I not resist?

There's nothing special about this one. It does provide an example of the importance of meter. One common mistake mememakers make when they try to either parody a song or rewrite dialog is scansion. Ideally you want to match the syllable count and stress pattern of the original because it makes a stronger impression. Here I noticed that "You can callmeray!" matched "Mrs. Bouvier!" perfectly.

The most famous argument amongst Simpsons fans is about what Ralph means when he says sleep is where he's a Viking, but almost as passionate for some reason is the debate over whether Moe says "Car Hole" or "Car Hold" in this scene. This meme was created to fan those flames a little bit. For the record, it's definitely "car hole".

The only thing that holds this meme back for me is the nine-panel structure. Normally when I have a meme that ends on an odd non-three number of panels, I try my hardest to either add one or cut one. I wasn't able to find a way to do that here that I was happy with.

Solid joke, disproportionate effort, there's a lot to like here. I wish I was better at animating, though.

And here's another meme where scansion is important! Honestly, I'm surprised I didn't have the idea to make a meme out of a song about names back during the first batch of 100.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:08 am

Simple joke, solid joke. Here I tried to use the perspective tool a tiny bit to make it look like Ray was facing towards the front of his torso. This doesn't come up often, but it can be difficult to make memes where the source panel has a character with his back to the viewer. All in all I think it works acceptably here.

Randy Johnson's guest appearance has been something I'd wanted to exploit for a long time but was never able to find a good angle. For some reason I made the connection between Tony RANDle and RANDy Johnson, and once I had that, I knew what I had to do. Much like above, it was tricky to get the reverse angle so I sort of cheated by just drawing a mustache onto Red, recoloring his baseball cap, and manually adding a brim.

I'll address the first two panels later, but what you need to know about this one is that every year people in the Bortposting group on Facebook post their #BestOf202X memes starting shortly after Christmas. I wanted to be a little bit meta and so I posted this on December 2nd, complete with a caption "As we get this #BestOf2022 underway, I'd like to take this moments to say up yours, mods!" to mirror Milhouse's original summer break insult. Krabappel has been replaced with Bort, who is the admin account of the group.

Continuing the meta trend, I posted this one just a few days ago with it tagged as #BestOf2023. The RJJ panel is terrible and lazy, which increases the humor of me proclaiming at the very start of the year that it will be my best one over the next 12 months.

Not too much to say about this one other than it made me giggle.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:28 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

I'm confused how ones you've posted since the beginning of this thread have made it here already. How far in advance do you plan them?
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:29 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

Oh right, it's the batch 2 part.

I didn't realise you'd actually finished the 100. Well more likely I just forgot
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:25 am

I was going to make this one a basic face swap, but decided that keeping the mustache made it funnier. I just noticed I misspelled "guttural" but somehow nobody pointed it out to me so it doesn't count.

The original dialog is "Oh Marge, grow up." With a last name like "Johnson" I pretty much am obligated to dive into the realm of dick jokes occasionally.

Kind of wish I had made the text on the back a little easier to read, but it's still fine. Easter egg: I replaced the original switch with the dial from the Itchy and Scratchy focus group!

This one was so much harder to make than I thought it would be when I had the idea. First of all, I wanted to keep the scansion of the original, which made coming up with rhyming nicknames that weren't already in the original comedy routine difficult. Second, the kid playing Hayes in the original was squat with no neck and a giant beard that covered up most of the upper torso. I did a shitty job covering that, but hopefully the combinatory value of the mediocre presidents, RJJ, and an unexpected reference to Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo made up for that.

The idea for this one was a concerted effort to focus on the "Jay" part of the name instead of the "Ray". I absolutely love It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad World, and I felt his pose worked perfectly to replace the giant T. I was also thankful that the hill covered where his shoes should be, as the original crop of RJJ has his shoes obsured by the front of the stage.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:30 pm

My only regret here is that I made it before Liz Truss. Also, yes that is Boris Johnson's full name.

This one underwent a few rewrites before I came up with this version. I spent a long time trying to come up with a decent "Ohnson Family" punchline and failed miserably. Fortunately, I thought of the surplus of damaged mailboxes and then it was an easy fix.

Ringo Starr is one of the best guest stars ever, and his line reading of "I hung it on me wall!" is an all-time classic. Interestingly enough, I was worried about this meme being another one ruined by having to show RJJ from the back, but the pose worked out perfectly to match the original scene.

There are surprisingly few songs that feature the word "Jay" in the lyrics, so I had to go with Miley Cyrus. #NoRegerts

6a and 6b

*submitted three minutes later*

For this meta meme, I knew it was important to have a solid meme that could stand on its own. The Jazz Club works very well for this purpose, partially because it presents RJJ in his original context - performing in a theatre as part of a revue. Anyway, once I had that, I put it into the first meme, and then posted these as close to each other as possible while still giving the first one time to sink in. Originally I wasn't going to have Papa Simpson and Abe in the lower corner of the second meme, but putting them there ties the whole thing together into a neat little package.
GamerGryff
GamerGryff
He/They
Goon
GamerGryff
He/They
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/They

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:53 pm

Post by GamerGryff »

This thread is oddly specific