Song Contest 201 (Results posted)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:00 am

Post by Pink Ball »

In post 24, Aristophanes wrote:
Spoiler:
Chile: Miranda! - Mentía
This was a fun song! I didn't get all of it, but it was nice to dust off my Spanish vocabulary again.

Classic pop setup of him longing for a girl he can't have, though the video implies cheating which I may have gotten with a bit more language knowledge.

This was a nice, fun, easy to listen to song that I could see being in my playlists.
Spoiler:
You’re not that far. He’s singing to his ex, that’s the video theme too, he’s like stalking her. “Hey bad idea going to the same place where I was with him. I know it’s over but this isn’t finished, if I see you both again I’ll kill you. Not literally of course, but I’d love too. As you can see I’m a little jealous”, etc etc
Aureal
Aureal
she/her
Mafia Scum
Aureal
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:40 pm

Post by Aureal »

Spoiler: writing things about songs is weird

Sweden

fun, chaotic, energetic, will definitely listen to again
United Kingdom

the only problem is that it's way too short, give me more please!
Scythia

forget me, forget me now, forget me nooooooooooooot
Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth

a happy anime ending song obviously, was swaying and trying to sing along by the end
Belobog

would watch the sci-fi secret agent movie this cleary is part of the soundtrack for
Mali

sounds like it'd be right at home on an '80s rock station, can vibe with the nostalgic somewhat washed-out tone
Peru

energetic beat but not attention-grabbing, wouldn't be bad as background music while doing something like chores that you want some energy for
Gabon

the music feels more energetic than the singer who sounds kind of bored
eSwatini

more unobjectionable background music
Galápagos

kept envisioning a bedazzled pink-suited 60s folk singer singing off Metallica as they try to infringe on his performance
Kazakhstan

oh dear, lol, this really doesn't know what it wants to be so it's kind of hard to feel the mood for long- there's definitely times where I'd be in the mood for the screamy early bit but then it shifts too much
Chile

kind of generic 2010s pop-sound but easy to tap a foot along to
Gibraltar

I may be old but I'm not this old- was my first thought, but I was kinda getting into the tune by the end, also having clearly enunciated lyrics is kind of cutely quaint?
Venezuela

this one is kind of sad because I want it without the ragged-voiced screaming vocalist- the instrumentals and the backup vocals had a lot of promise but it was just constantly getting drowned out by this guy scratching at my eardrums, which I understand is probably the point but it wasn't working for me
Paraguay

spent too long building tension without enough payoff, kind of jarring
"Yeah after a point it felt like Aureal was the only one talking sense despite being a goose so I just followed."
-furtiveglance
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:58 am

Post by Pink Ball »

Spoiler: I agree, but it's a good exercise!

Sweden

Diablo Swing Orchestra - The Age of Vulture Culture

At some moments it sounded like they had a 16-bit limitation rather than being an orchestra (they are an orchestra right?), but I liked the cumbia/ska mix! It's weird, I really liked a bunch of elements on their own, but not that much mixed together.
Score: 6.5 out of 10
Paraguay

Inchiuvatu - Matri Addulurata

Legitimately scared.
Score: 1 out of 10
Mali

Foals - Inhaler

I thought it was pretty boring until the chorus, loved the guitar of that section in particular. And the ending! I think that the thing that bored me was the lead singer now that I think of it.
Score: 5.5 out of 10
Scythia

October Project - Bury My Lovely

What a captivating voice. I don't know if it's doing something for me, but I like the chord progression, very creative.
Score: 6 out of 10
Chile

Miranda! - Mentía

Not a big fan of pop music myself, but I always loved what this fellas did back in the 00's 'cause they went against everything in a very rock influenced country like Argentina. I'm actually bringing them here because they made a bunch of remakes of their older songs in a new album, "Hotel Miranda!", and I highly suggest giving that album a try. They reinvented themselves adequately making collabs with the most trendy latin singers of today, mixing the new generation style with their own. I wanted to bring the new version of "Uno Los Dos" with Emilia Mernes, but that song's lyrics are the best part of it and I know that the language barrier can be a hassle.
Score: Pop out of 10
Kazakhstan

The Callous Daoboys - What Is Delicious? Who Swarms?

I wanted to hate it but I couldn't, the video made a lot for me to let it in. Is this my heavy metal gateway drug?
Score: 4 out of 10
Venezuela

Maylene and the Sons of Disaster - Caution: Dangerous Curves Ahead

Song Contest: where half the songs submitted start with someone shouting into your ear. Other than that, the instruments' arrangement is quite good, this would have been a great song without all the shouting.
Score: 4.5 out of 10
United Kingdom

David Poore - Springwatch Theme

Nice tune. I liked the melodicity of the two guitars just before the fiddles came in.
Score: 6 out of 10
Belobog

Parius - Dimension Y

Unremarkable for me, maybe because the bass at the begining raised the bar and then didn't deliver. It's a nice a song.
Score: 5.5 out of 10
Galápagos

Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue

Yeah metal fatigue was exactly what I was feeling before listening to this song. Loved everything about it, the combination between jazz and prog rock here is so well executed thanks to a really talented drummer. This is what I'm here for. The only reason why I'm not going to go listen more of this guy is because I see a Bob Dylan song incoming.
Score: 10 out of 10
Edit: I listened Eliodon, one of his compilation albums, and had to read a little more about this guy 'cause it was so mesmerizing. I now realize that my first impression about him was justified: dude's a musical prodigy.

Peru

Caroline Polachek - Pretty In Possible

I was thinking "I'm really disappointed 'cause she seems to have a good voice and it feels like she's holding herself back" and she IMMEDIATELY went all sopranoy in that 1 minute mark section. It's like Alanis Morisette and Imogen Heap had a baby and she got the best part of their genes mashed together.
Score: 8.5 out of 10
Gibraltar

Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street

Hello Bob. Just imagine how would it feel to think even for a second "is this about me?" lol this is as good as it gets if we're talking about diss tracks
Score: 9,5 out of 10
Note: I'm not giving this a 10 out of 10 'cause I already knew the song, but assume that it's a 10 out of 10 for me. This song is brutal coming from a lyrical beast like Dylan, and it contrasts so well with his usual poetic writing; this one is as straightforward as it comes, like a furious letter trying to avoid any double interpretation. With these kind of songs, Dylan showcased to everyone that you could write about ANYTHING in your songs, something that influenced many songwriters during that time (cheers to you, Lennon). The only detail I could say about this song is that it's too similar to Like a Rolling Stone, both in structure and musically speaking. Is that a bad thing?

eSwatini

Holly Humberstone - Falling Asleep at the Wheel

I appreciate what she tried to accomplish but it's not doing it for me. It's still good, nonetheless
Score: 7 out of 10
Gabon

Khai Dreams - Rats

I don't have much to say about this one. It's not bad, but I don't like it.
Score: 5 out of 10
Polish-Lituanian Commonwealth

Buck-Tick - Die

Soporific, but in a good way. I entered a trance while listening this song and when I "woke up" it felt good.
Score: 8 out of 10
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:30 am

Post by Skygazer »

woah i got a 10/10 from PB :0
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:34 am

Post by Skygazer »

but ye Allan Holdsworth is so good. cheesy sometimes but good!!
i have the most queues
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:00 am

Post by Skygazer »

Spoiler: sorted by score but listened to in the original order
Galápagos - Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue
My choice. I think it’s an interesting fusion of sounds albeit somewhat cheesy; the improvisation from everyone is very impressive. If you’re into jazz or jazz fusion give this dude a deep dive some time. IOU is another good album. skyg/10

Peru - Caroline Polachek - Pretty in Possible
Catchy intro. The beat is cool/chill. Love the production. Very catchy song!! 8.5/10

Gibraltar - Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street
Hi Bob. I like this song. 8.4/10

Chile - Miranda! - Mentía
I need to brush up on my Spanish. This is catchy; really like when the kick drum kicks in. Production is cool, I like the blended acoustic & electric guitars. Gives me late 2000s nostalgia. 7.6/10

Paraguay - Inchiuvatu - Matri Addulurata
I don’t like the timbre of his voice but it’s not too bad. The instrumentals are cool though! Enjoyed the listen. 7.4/10

eSwatini - Holly Humberstone - Falling Asleep At The Wheel
I like the whooping synth in the beginning in the background. Instrumentals are kind of cool. Sounds like a lot of other pop songs to me though. I like the Bon Iver-esque vocal section when everything drops out. 6.8/10

Scythia - October Project - Bury My Lovely
Beautiful intro. Kind of repetitive but catchy. I like the harmonies, there’s like a few cool twists and turns. I like pop songs that aren’t in “four four” time. 6.7/10

Gabon - Khai Dreams - Rats
Instrumentals are kinda cool. Very indie. I like the production on this. Indie doesn’t speak to me too much these days. I’ll give this maybe a 6.6/10

Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth - Buck-Tick - Die
Cool vibe. Almost sounds like Creep by Radiohead. I don’t like some of the harmonic choices or background sounds for some reason. It has a lot of ingredients I like but it doesn’t speak to me too much for whatever reason. I’d give this maybe a 6.5/10

United Kingdom - David Poore - Springwatch Theme
Cool track. I don’t know why but I don’t like TV music that much; perhaps I’m elitist. 6.4/10

Belobog - Parius - Dimension Y
Cool timbres/production in the intro. Vocals are too auto-tuned in my opinion. The baroque-sounding part around 1:15 is kind of out of place to me compared to the verses. The ambient synth section in the middle is kind of cool. I think I’ll give this like a 5.2/10

Kazakhstan - The Callous Daoboys - What Is Delicious? Who Swarms?
Not my thing; I’m picky with the metal I’ll listen to. This has some interesting sounds in the heavy section though. I don’t really like the part at 1:15ish but then it gets better. Ending is funny. I’ll give this like a 5.1/10

Venezuela - Maylene and the Sons of Disaster - Caution: Dangerous Curves Ahead
Still picky about the metal I’ll listen to. Don’t like his voice that much. Halfway through it suddenly sounds like AC/DC. I’ll give this like a 4.6/10

Mali - Foals - Inhaler
Instrumental is kinda cool but I don’t like his vocals. Kinda gets stale after a little bit for me. By the time it gets to the chorus it kinda just feels like dad rock but for indie rock to me. The breakdown outro section with the pizzicato is eh. Some of the sounds are cool though so I’ll give it like a 4.5/10

Sweden - Diablo Swing Orchestra - The Age of Vulture Culture
Not my thing; reminds me of like Avenged Sevenfold. Just not my mix of genres, I suppose. The production is good. I’m very picky with the metal I’ll listen to! 3.2/10
i have the most queues
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:17 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Spoiler: Reactions
Sweden // The Age of Vulture Culture - Diablo Swing Orchestra

Fair play; Pacifisticuffs is a great name for an album. There are some great ingredients here - I usually love almost anything brass, I like the strings here as well as some of the guitars - but it's not really working for me. It feels like they're throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks - which is an attitude that I think is cool and can produce some amazing results - but because it's all filtered through this Gogol Bordello-y style it's mostly quite grating for me. And I don't really get on with the vocals. I think that, if I had more affection for the various genres from which are being borrowed here, my mind would be absolutely blown by this. But it's mostly just getting on my nerves instead.

Paraguay // Matri Addulurata - Inchiuvatu

The spooky folk-metal vibe is really not one for me, especially with a character from Jabba the Hutt's palace on lead vocals. The lo-fi aesthetic played into the atmosphere, though, a choice that I appreciated even though I usually prefer my sound quality less fuzzy. But I'm definitely not going to be returning to this.

Mali // Inhaler - Foals
(my entry!)

Since I very, very belatedly paid them any attention starting a couple of years ago, Foals have basically become my favourite currently operating band. They have excellent range, from weepy epics like Spanish Sahara to disco-tinged bops like much of last year's very enjoyable album Life Is Yours. But they also know how to absolutely burn down an arena with righteous rock bangers like very few else, and this is them at close to their best on that front.

I love the let-it-all-out roar of the chorus but it's the build-up (and coda) that really make the song, IMO. That initial guitar riff and the way in which it grows that pressure are mesmerising, and the long come-down has this amazing feeling of being pushed along by your momentum alone after an explosion of energy, barely even registering what you're doing. Woof. And seen live - well, it's an utter face-melter.

Scythia // Bury My Lovely - October Project

The vocals on this are so big that they kinda overpower the instrumentation, IMO, but otherwise I'm having a good time with this (and they are some serious pipes; like, damn). The harmonies are really satisfying, and it's a very hypnotic drum beat. Could see myself coming back to this one.

Chile // Mentía - Miranda!

I guess 'Miranda!' is shorter than 'Brandon Flores and Los Asesinos'. This is fine. The drum machine feels a little bit leaden.

Kazakhstan // What Is Delicious? Who Swarms? - The Callous Daoboys

Even before I started the song, this is right up there with the least appealing song titles that I have ever seen. It, er, did not subvert my expectations.

Venezuela // Caution: Dangerous Curves Ahead - Maylene and the Sons of Disaster

Well, I mean, I liked it more than the last one.

United Kingdom // Springwatch Theme - David Poore

I was really considering ranking this below both Kazakhstan and Venezuela on principle - like, yes, it's pretty, but I don't really understand why you'd listen to this instead of, like, any fiddle-led folk instrumental that goes on for more than 60 seconds. But I will go ahead on the assumption that this was entered earnestly and not judge it too harshly, even though I personally don't get the appeal of sub-minute songs basically at all. I like to luxuriate in a good song; when they're this short, you barely even have time to register that they've started before they're over. So this won't be bottom of my ranking because it's not actively annoying (and, again, what little there is of it is perfectly nice) but there's never a world where it can threaten big points with me.

Belobog // Dimension Y - Parius

We're still very much out of my comfort zone here, but this is the realm of metal where I'm simply not stimulated by the style or subject matter rather than actively annoyed by exhaustingly overdriven instruments. Some of the bass stuff here is very good; I'm just not really one for the 'pontificating in space' lyrics and so I don't have the emotional hook that I would need to connect with the instrumentals more than generic appreciation of parts of it.

Galápagos // Metal Fatigue - Allan Holdsworth

Heavy metal fatigue, indeed, mate.

Peru // Pretty in Possible - Caroline Polachek

I bought Desire, I Want to Turn Into You a few weeks ago as I was curious about all the critical acclaim. It's an album that's grown on me slowly, although ultimately not really taken hold in my soul like I hoped that it would. There are several points on the record where I can absolutely see why people adore it, though - it's a terrifically maximalist pop record, and my favourite moments from it encapsulate that attitude (the absolutely insane vocal intro to the title track, and the bagpipes on Blood and Butter). Polachek has incredible control over her powerful voice. But it's packed full of tracks that, for me, fall into the 'pretty and hummable but not much else' area, and this is one of those. I like Pretty in Possible and there's every chance that it gets double-digit points from me given the contest so far, but for me the whole song kind of just reduces itself to that "da da da-da" refrain which leaves it feeling very slight.

Gibraltar // Positively 4th Street - Bob Dylan

This certainly is a track from Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits. I respect Dylan a lot more than I actively enjoy his work, even if I am not entirely immune to the likes of Like a Rolling Stone or All Along the Watchtower. But I've never quite been able to hop over the barrier that is that nasally, nasally voice. I was surprised to find out that this is his first appearance in the Song Contest, though! It'll get some points from me, but I'm not in love with it.

eSwatini // Falling Asleep at the Wheel - Holly Humberstone

Pleased to have the opportunity to try out some of Humberstone's work as I'd seen her name bandied about here and there but didn't have any context for it. Her voice is a little bit too much on the airy side for me on first listen here but there's plenty to like about the track otherwise. That quietly skittering bass provides a really cool unnerved effect underpinning the whole thing effectively, and that bittersweet, almost formless guitar wail that comes in towards the end does good work too. I'm never quite completely swept up in it but there's definitely some promise here.

Gabon // Rats - Khai Dreams

Solid slice of bedroom emo-pop, this. I dig the chunkiness of the processed percussion and it's got a cute melody. I don't know how long it'll live in the memory, but I had a nice time with it.

Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth // Die - Buck-Tick

None of them are especially within my wheelhouse, but there's an interesting mix of genres and influences here that makes it kind of fascinating anyway. We're more in 'respect the artistry' territory than 'I vibe with it' but it kept pulling out little moments that surprised me from start to finish - some great, ambitious production choices that paid off.
#greenshirtthursdays
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:02 am

Post by Skygazer »

i probably should've ranked the foals song higher but my number ratings were snap decisions and i think i unconsciously aduusted my criteria as it went on
i have the most queues
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:50 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

fun fact maylene and the sons of disaster were the first band i ever saw live on march 14, 2007 at the rock in papillion nebraska.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:30 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Deadline nears! Get those votes in.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:36 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 33, pickemgenius wrote: fun fact maylene and the sons of disaster were the first band i ever saw live on march 14, 2007 at the rock in papillion nebraska.
Nice! I believe I saw them live twice, both times as the opening act. Once in Vegas and once in Reno. I remember them being pretty good, but they never had a very big crowd.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Birthday!

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:23 am

Post by toolenduso »

Spoiler: They checked the mosque and the chapel — nope, not there
Sweden - Diablo Swing Orchestra - The Age of Vulture Culture: I like this beat. I like the instrumentation. When it all comes together, idk, for some reason it doesn't grab me. OK but this new section around 3:50 is pretty cool. DECENT
Paraguay - Inchiuvatu - Matri Addulurata: The pic submitted with this entry screams "shameless Eurometal." And the vocals kinda support that, but the instrumentation very much does not. The instrumentation is super unique and weird, actually. Listen to this.......pan flute? Is that what that is? Anyway, it's not really my cup of espresso, but I respect it. DECENT.
Mali - Foals - Inhaler: Nice opening. This is pretty cool. Fave so far. DECENT.
Scythia - October Project - Bury My Lovely: Very 90s sound to this, which I like. DECENT.
Chile - Miranda! - Mentía: Pop poppity pop. DON'T CARE.
Kazakhstan - The Callous Daoboys - What Is Delicious? Who Swarms?: Oooh, very Dillinger sound to this...ok, then it became a little more standard. All right, this one's just all over the place. Yeah this was aight. DECENT.
United Kingdom - David Poore - Springwatch Theme: Very short, but not bad. DECENT.
Belobog - Parius - Dimension Y: Reminds me of that one guy. The one with the name. You know who I'm talking about? Anyway, it's ok. DECENT.
Galápagos - Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue: Fun mix of old-school heavy, weirdo guitar and off-kilter rhythm. This is nice, one of my faves so far in this contest. DECENT.
Peru - Caroline Polachek - Pretty in Possible: Pretty, yes. DECENT.
Gibraltar - Bob Dylan - Positively 4th Street: Haven't listened to much Dylan. It's fine, but idk, it doesn't really hit me. It's kinda....repetitive? I get that it's sort of all about the singing and lyrics, but that's not my type of music. DECENT.
eSwatini - Holly Humberstone - Falling Asleep at the Wheel: Somewhat enjoyable. DECENT.
Gabon - Khai Dreams - Rats: Also somewhat enjoyable. DECENT.
Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth - Buck-Tick - Die: I like the dynamism, but the vocals and overall vibe smack of a particular niche of 90s musical atmosphere I've never been a big fan of. DECENT.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:04 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 25, Pink Ball wrote:
In post 24, Aristophanes wrote:
Spoiler:
Chile: Miranda! - Mentía
This was a fun song! I didn't get all of it, but it was nice to dust off my Spanish vocabulary again.

Classic pop setup of him longing for a girl he can't have, though the video implies cheating which I may have gotten with a bit more language knowledge.

This was a nice, fun, easy to listen to song that I could see being in my playlists.
Spoiler:
You’re not that far. He’s singing to his ex, that’s the video theme too, he’s like stalking her. “Hey bad idea going to the same place where I was with him. I know it’s over but this isn’t finished, if I see you both again I’ll kill you. Not literally of course, but I’d love too. As you can see I’m a little jealous”, etc etc
Oh nice! That makes a lot of sense actually!

Cool to know I wasn't too far off base :)
Thanks!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
BS2000
BS2000
Goon
BS2000
Goon
Goon

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:09 pm

Post by BS2000 »

Spoiler: how I ranked em

1st: Bob Dylan: Ay it's Bobby D. I've never really gotten into this guy, but I've also not given him a chance in a long time. I think I still have a Bob Dylan Unplugged CD buried somewhere in a box. This is actually pretty enjoyable and doesn't make me think of insufferable Boomer Hippies. So that's good. Big ups for no chorus in sight in this song.

2nd: Allan Holdsworth: Pic and song title made me think this was gonna be some sort of parody. But no this is actually really cool! I usually hate guitars that have this sort of tone, but that main riff he's playing is so bizarre I really like it. There's enough of a prog rock vibe here to scratch an itch for me without going overboard. Plus now we got some goofy bass shredding underneath. Very good. I already voted as I type this but I maybe shouldve put this ahead of Bobby D. Oh well.

3rd: Diablo Swing: Violin intro but I'm just waiting for the intensity to hit. Oh wasn't expecting this. Gwen Stefani? Those horns plus that style of singing sounded very no doubt. What do you call that like a higher register trill tremolo thing? I dunno music theory. She's got a great voice and the music is like part metal part latin ska or something. Maybe I'm projecting the latin vibes but it sounds like it to me. This is actually kinda cool despite being all over the place.

4th: buck-tick: I like the mix of acoustic guitars and feedbacky lead guitar happening here a lot. Liking those middle eastern guitar flourishes. Overall I'm enjoying this

5th: Khai Dreams: Nice start. Singing is ok. Very poppy but I do really like the verse/chorus/verse flow. And also big ups for not forcing a bridge or a 3rd verse or anything. Just ends when it needs to. Surprisingly enjoyed this

6th: Holly Humberstone: Sounds very contemporary. That's the best way I can describe this. Sounds good but doesn't stick out.

7th: Foals: Band I may have heard a bit of but not much. I like the tense buildups in this song the most and kinda wish there was more of that. Then the release. the riff comes in and it honestly makes me think of Audioslave lol. Not necessarily a bad thing. I appreciate the long intro and outro too. This is decent radio rockish stuff.

8th: October Project: It's hard not to be influenced by this wonderfully 90s music video. The song itself is very early 90s adult alternative. I kinda vibe with this honestly. I love the music when it goes back to the verses and it's very meloncholy.

9th: Parius: First of all man what a cover. But right away I'm also enjoying this vibe. Well kinda. The one thing that's underwhelming here is the guys voice. It's giving like Five Finger Death Punch or something akin. Oooh now were getting a spacy quiet part. Kinda wish it went further in that direction. Song resolves itself kinda unusually

10th: Springwatch: Oh this song is only a minute? What is springwatch? A bbc show? A podcast? Hmmm. I mean this is lovely can't complain.

11th: Maylene: AAAAAHHH. Yeah not usually into this stuff, but I kinda like the slightly southern twang the guitars have. Or I dunno if that's the right way to describe them, the strings are just being bent. But they sound like they are tuned standard interestingly. And the guitar solo is more classic rock than you would expect. Not terrible.

12th: Miranda!: Whoa 40 mil views. The Spanish might be the only fun part of this for me. Oh man this chorus is goofy sounding. I dunno not much to say about this one

13th: INCHIUVATU: Ooh this is interesting right away. Oh now starts the growling. Man if these lyrics were being sung a different way I could love this.

14th: The Callous Daoboys: I literally started laughing as this started. I mean I appreciate the mathy stuff, but it never locks into a groove. So it just kinda feels tacky. Anyway not into the guitars, the singing, the screaming, etc. Oh there's some saxophone or something happening during this softer part that's cool. "Bombarded with angel numbers" is pretty great. But otherwise this aint for me.

i was going to learn the keyboard and write several ballads
But i went to a barbeque and got lost by the tater salad
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:03 pm

Post by schadd_ »

^_^
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:08 am

Post by Song Contest »

Galápagos

Skygazer

12 - Gibraltar
10 - Chile
8 - Paraguay
7 - eSwatini
6 - Scythia
5 - Gabon
4 - Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
3 - United Kingdom
2 - Belobog
1 - Kazakhstan

Kazakhstan

pickemgenius

12 - Venezuela
10 - Chile
8 - Scythia
7 - Belobog
6 - eSwatini
5 - Paraguay
4 - Gabon
3 - Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
2 - Sweden
1 - United Kingdom

Sweden

MiniDeathStar

12 - Paraguay
10 - Mali
8 - Belobog
7 - Scythia
6 - Gibraltar
5 - Venezuela
4 - Kazakhstan
3 - Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
2 - eSwatini
1 - Galápagos

Mali

ChannelDelibird

12 - Scythia
10 - Peru
8 - eSwatini
7 - Gabon
6 - Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
5 - Gibraltar
4 - Chile
3 - Belobog
2 - Paraguay
1 - Sweden

Current Scores:

33 Scythia
27 Paraguay
24 Chile
23 Gibraltar
23 eSwatini
20 Belobog
17 Venezuela
16 Gabon
16 Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
10 Mali
10 Peru
5 Kazakhstan
4 United Kingdom
3 Sweden
1 Galápagos
Last edited by Song Contest on Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:10 am

Post by Song Contest »

Gabon

T-Bone

12 - Chile
10 - Mali