schadd walrus 2: feast of the invisible cats (join biancospino walrus!)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

schadd walrus 2: feast of the invisible cats (join biancospino walrus!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:28 am

Post by schadd_ »

IN SHORT
  • you send me 7 or 8 songs, one to fit each category i lay out below. i grade them based on how much i like them, how well they fit the category ("catfit"), and a couple other things.
  • it's like song contest but with Themes of songs & i'm the only one that votes
  • i will listen and grade the songs myself and then schedule reveal events in the discord on a weekly basis
  • you should submit to this!!!
  • this differs from my last walrus in that there are bonus points from "medals" and "invisible cats" to sporadically be awarded.

Spoiler:

Spoiler: ok, so what do i do exactly
you should aim to come up with 8 songs that each support a category described below. i tend to like songs that address the category in an artsy, unexpected, or funny way, and i also often just find ways to give something a high grade that you wouldn't expect (especially if i like the song, which can threaten to happen at any time). as well, i am dropping your lowest score, so don't feel bad if you don't have 8 killer ideas.

i will try to avoid finding out who submitted each song until shortly before each reveal, so i prefer that everybody sends me their songs via youtube link (i live in the US and almost never have region-restriction problems) through a PM on mafiascum (other places sometimes show a preview of the videos when you send the message). if a song doesn't exist on youtube, that's not a huge deal and you should feel free to link it somewhere else. avoid using the "youtu.be" links if possible. you can submit at any time until i have revealed the second category, and also change your submissions until then.

if you'd like to avoid submitting music i've heard before, my rateyourmusic page has a "search schadd's music for..." box in the middle, which will pull up substantially everything i've listened to while paying attention. you don't need to adhere to this religiously especially since i like to re-listen to songs with this new context, but you should avoid stuff from my very favorite albums as well as most of the material from those artists (i deduct points for particularly familiar music).

MUSHSHAGANA CLAUSE: you can include any number of supplemental comments about the songs in your submission, but preferably you would do those separately in a spoiler= box to make it easier for me to anonymize things

categories

Spoiler: cat 1: songs i like
well, that's the name of the game. for this category, just send me a song that you think i'll like. the catfit points will just reflect my enjoyment.

here is the first walrus i did, where you can peruse the winning songs.

some songs i've liked recently:
deftones - be quiet and drive (far away)
cocteau twins - ups
toots & the maytals - pressure drop
horsegirl - world of pots and pans
mass of the fermenting dregs - ベアーズ (musically this live version is like worse than the album version. but youtube just keeps recommending it to me and don't i just keep clicking it)

Spoiler: cat 2: songs that make me scared to listen to them a second time
it's fun to have cat 2 be like an opposite to cat 1. in the first walrus i think i executed that vaguely and badly. hopefully the idea here is simple enough and also gives you different ways to approach it.

most of the time it's easy enough to click on a song and start listening to it, but plenty of things hit you with this flash of memory that makes you wince and think "i gotta emotionally prepare to listen to this again". these moments are increasingly rare for me after the several thousandth album i've listened to but, go on and have a go.

adrianne lenker - blue and red horses: man, this song. i think there's some cocktail where it's creepy and foreboding, and also strikes at the feeling of childhood vulnerability in a way that's hard to grok. there was this one time a few years ago i randomly listened to it in the car and i was like "i think i won't pick this back up ever again." nowadays i have the ability to say "this song is like skinamarink"

model/actriz - slate: just from an album that recently made me scared of the feral instinct it unearthed. the sonic intensity and gushing sexuousness build a powerful two-stroke engine here.

iris dement - our town: very thorough walloping of a song. i think it speaks for itself. rarely find myself able to sit through this one.
REVEALED HERE! :arrow_up:
Spoiler: cat 3: novel musicianship
here, i am looking for music that
  • demonstrates some kind of impressive technical or creative ability
  • seems to be doing something different from music you and i usually hear

emahoy tsegue-maryam guebrou - the homeless wanderer: she's somebody that had an eclectic piano education and just uses some unique and remarkable approach to rhythm that feels less like a classical structure and more like the act of waiting for a meandering thought to resolve.

life without buildings - the leanover
(chickadee's past cat 1 winner)
: the vocal in this song is what they call "really something else"
Spoiler: cat 4: multiemotional
i'd like something that produces multiple different emotions in the listener, especially simultaneously or in the creation of a cohesive whole.

elizabeth cotten - freight train
isaiah rashad - 4r da squaw
big thief - black diamonds
Spoiler: cat 5: synchronized swimming
my brother's girlfriend coaches synchronized swimming at the local high school & we went to see a show. shortly beforehand, i was like "what kind of song do you use for synchronized swimming?" and started excitedly imagining a bunch of different ideas. after the show i was charmed by the little bits of expression and flair you can use to act out a certain song, as well as the high school-ness of it i guess.

send me a song that i'd want to see a synchronized swimming routine for, or at least see them try. it helps to have something that excites one's visual imagination.

autechre - cfern
alice in chains - rotten apple
billy woods & kenny seagal - red dust "it's how she arch her back when she-"
the free design - kites are fun
el chombo - chacarron
Spoiler: cat 6: forgiveness
forgiveness is complicated and i think lends itself to music well. send me something that engages with the idea of forgiveness, or the lack thereof.

i'll give 3 examples which aren't great
liz phair - divorce song
kendrick lamar - mother i sober: i kinda took issue with what i might vaguely call the "methodology" of this song but there's a lot of ways it thought-provokingly touches on the largeness of the problem of intergenerational trauma
boards of canada - over the horizon radar: mostly i just felt compelled to try putting in an instrumental song & boards of canada songs feel like they're about everything
Spoiler: cat 7: drums
it turns out that drumming is like maybe my favorite thing in music generally. send me a song where the drums (or generally, percussion) are good.

i had an identical category in my first walrus. in writing out the category proposal i voiced a mild distaste for drum machines, which i now think i don't care about as much as i dislike stuff where the drumming wasn't a primary consideration when building the song.

for my examples i'll name several songs which Happen to be some of my very favorite songs from 2022:
immanuel wilkins + elena pinderhughes + also other people - lighthouse
converge - they stretch for miles (redux)
pillow queens - my body moves
Spoiler: cat 8: grab bag

here's three funny little ideas for a category, choose one that you can submit to. when you are sending me the message, you should specify "cat 8, section 1 [or 2 or 3]: https://youtube.fart/song" (or two links for section 3) but
don't provide any extra info

if somebody submits to a section that nobody else does, they will receive 3.9 points.

section 1: pokemon dual typesend me a song that calls to mind a certain pair of pokemon types, especially in a funny or compelling way. you can pretty much do this without having played pokemon, there aren't many nuances to understand beyond the names of the types (i mean there are but you know.)

elliot smith - roman candle: fire/dark
boards of canada - diving station: normal/ghost
scene queen - 18+: fighting/fairy (my favorite song from song contest 200)

section 2: seasonssend me a song reminiscent of one of the seasons, especially via indirect or purely-musical ways.

cocteau twins - sigh's smell of farewell: winterㅡthere's a few things that just remind me in maybe a superficial way of instruments/melodic motifs typical of Winter Music, but it also feels like winter. the bass occasionally reminds me of a lower limb that loses heat and starts to feel numb.
hania rani - buka: winter. honestly both of these last two struggle to fully differentiate themselves from autumn
lil ugly mane & denzel curry - twistin: summer

section 3: paired songsi am stealing a category from the tris hellbooks walrus, which involves just sending two songs who complement each other in an interesting way. i will grade the enjoyment points as some kind of average of the two songs, which is to say this section wouldn't be worth double.

in your submission you should put the first song link, a space, and then a second song link. i shall listen to them in that order, one after the other such that there is a clean track-transition.

you can peruse the past walrus for examples of submissions; you can expect me to look for vaguely similar things as what hellbooks explained. i thought from chevre was particularly brilliant and i revisit that pair of songs every so often.

around when that category got revealed i came up with ; two songs that survey the failure of a relationship due to the narrator ultimately not being appealing enough. both of them have a feeling of fatalism, peach plum pear has the period where it seems like the relationship is succeeding in spite of being fated to fail (which eventually happens) whereas scorpio rising seems more confident it was never gonna work out.

REVEALED in part here! :arrow_up:

Spoiler: scoring, medals and invisible cats
i give each song a rating out of 5, which becomes up to 7 points (i double the amount by which the rating exceeds 3). i give between 0 and 3 points based on its aptitude for the category. i will give 1 point for a song i don't know, and 1.2 for something particularly unfamiliar; there is a sliding scale downward if i've heard the song or artist before (possibly down to negative points). i try to guess who submitted each song and deduct 0.1 points when i am correct. the four top scorers in each category will receive 2/1.5/1.2/0.9 bonus points.

EVERYTHING BELOW THIS LINE IS BASICALLY FOR FUNZIES (but it does count for points)

medalsi will award points to submissions that do any of these random things, potentially multiple times (with different respective point values). sometimes it is worth negative points if that would be funny. two people can get the same medal in the same category and have different points because i e.g. listened to one song slightly sooner. these points do not contribute to the bonus points for 1st/2nd/3rd place.

laugh out loud from reading a song/artist award: 1.1pts / 1.5pts / 0.8 pts / 0.3 pts / 0.2 pts / 0.2 pts / 0.1 pts
grand slam award:
0.5 pts
/ 0.4 pts / -0.9 pts / 0.1 pt
exactly 3 minutes and 46 seconds award:
0.5 pts
/ -0.6 pts / 0.7 pts / -0.8 pts ... ad infinitum
chills award:
1.1 pts
/
1.1 pts
/ 1.1 pts / 1.1 pts
MUSHSHAGANA awardㅡ
make me think you are mushshagana
:
0.4 pts
/
0.5 pts
/ 0.4 pts / 0.3 pts; the
second
and fourth awards will include 0.1 pts awarded to MUSHSHAGANA
CALEDFWITCH awardㅡ
get 5th or 6th place two times in a row
: 4.0 pts / 0.4 pts
CHEVRE awardㅡ
submit after the first category has been revealed
: 0.3 pts / 0.2 pts / 0.2 pts
PANZERJAGER awardㅡ
have a placing in the bottom 3 and a gold medal in adjacent cats
: 1.6 pts / -1.8 pts / 2.2 pts
PANZERJAGER award 2ㅡ
get banned
: 0.3 pts / -0.5 pts / 0.1 pt

invisible catsi had a bunch of ideas for categories, many of which don't lend themselves to being a full category because it's hard to ideate around them, or they are too specific, or too small in scope, or whatever. and so i am taking those ideas down in my notepad document and assigning point values which i will award to the first several submissions that successfully meet those cat ideas. whenever somebody gets an invisible cat bonus, i will publicize the description of the cat and the sequence of point values associated with it. like medals, they don't count towards 1st/2nd/3rd place.
Last edited by schadd_ on Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:26 am, edited 31 times in total.
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:30 am

Post by schadd_ »

ego

players:
  1. Majiffy
  2. MUSHSHAGANA
  3. Invisibility
  4. Skygazer
  5. DeathRowKitty
  6. Pink Ball
  7. ChannelDelibird
  8. toolenduso
  9. Cheetory6
  10. T3
  11. stinkycheesedan
  12. Isis
  13. biancospino
  14. hellbooks
  15. wgeurts
  16. Aristophanes
  17. Chickadee
  18. Aisa
  19. Chevre
  20. ceejayvinoya
  21. Infinity 324
  22. fireisredsir
  23. tris
  24. PJ.
Last edited by schadd_ on Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:19 am, edited 17 times in total.
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:32 am

Post by schadd_ »

i will plan to start listening to the songs in three and a half weeks: (expired on 2023-07-08 17:00:00). the first reveal will tentatively be on july 15th.

you can submit a few days after that and still have your songs graded fully, and then submit more than a week after that and still have 7 out of 8 cats graded fully.

i'll say that i don't fault anyone for seeing this and thinking "this looks like too much work" but i'll also say that it's completely fine and even good to have submissions where somebody skimmed the categories and thought about it for 0.1 seconds and tossed in a few songs
Last edited by schadd_ on Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
free darius mccollum

hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:57 am

Post by hellbooks »

In post 0, schadd_ wrote: nowadays i have the ability to say "this song is like skinamarink"
You've hit upon it exactly, well done you
why does your ferret thing have a waterfall?
your guess is as good as mine
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:59 am

Post by Skygazer »

i will be inning to this of course
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:00 am

Post by schadd_ »

In post 3, hellbooks wrote:
In post 0, schadd_ wrote: nowadays i have the ability to say "this song is like skinamarink"
its more like skinamarink did that
free darius mccollum

Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:00 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

let's see if I can find some stale ass music in my music storage locker
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:03 am

Post by hellbooks »

In post 5, schadd_ wrote:
In post 3, hellbooks wrote:
its more like skinamarink did that
oh! hello, schadd! come, join in this conversation that skinamarink and I have been having! welcome welcome
why does your ferret thing have a waterfall?
your guess is as good as mine
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:07 am

Post by schadd_ »

im gonna go downstaiws
free darius mccollum

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:11 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

ego
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:12 am

Post by toolenduso »

i have been invited
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:17 am

Post by schadd_ »

you've been invited
free darius mccollum

Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:22 am

Post by Skygazer »

excited to force schadd into listening to 8 radiohead songs
i have the most queues
replacement queue | upick queue
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:31 am

Post by tris »

cool!!
here's what it says
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:52 am

Post by Isis »

I can't over emphasize how rarely I listen to music
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:52 am

Post by Isis »

"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:13 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

we listen to music in a way where we have like 6 different words for catchy but we will attempt this
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:15 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

all the "good" music we know we listened to cause someone else said it was good. i think we'll be particularly bad at surprising schadd but we'll see
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

Aisa
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Aisa
she/her, they/them
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her, they/them

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:19 am

Post by Aisa »

In post 0, schadd_ wrote:cat 2
Hahaha I have a list of artists I’ve banned myself from listening to
Pink Ball
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Pink Ball
he/him
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:27 pm

Post by Pink Ball »

This looks like fun schadd, thanks for the invite! I'll try not to make every single submission in spanish but I can't promise to contain myself
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:31 pm

Post by schadd_ »

i think i didnt bother to do this last time but i'll try to get a translation of songs where its clear the lyrics have something to do with the catfit, though it's generally harder for something to land particularly well when there's that extra step btwn hearing a lyric in its musical context and understanding what it is
free darius mccollum

MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: IT/ITS
Location: Everett-Wheeler Branch Q-5992-CLF3, Third Mouth of the Worm

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:07 pm

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

Ego and in. I'm brewing up my submissions literally RIGHT NOW.
199-member plural system. We kinda exploded. We'll sign if we switch, but it's a host-centric setup round here now.

It/its pronouns only.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:19 pm

Post by schadd_ »