Geoguessr - Let's Explore the World!

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Geoguessr - Let's Explore the World!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:24 am

Post by T-Bone »

https://www.geoguessr.com - Link in case someone comes across this and doesn't know what it is.

I wanted to see if anyone is playing it. I'd like to talk about the daily challenge, multiplayer, meta tricks you've learned etc.

I'd also love to play/stream on our Discord. I did it once with a few people during Survivormeet and even just crowdsourcing during a map is fun.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:46 am

Post by T-Bone »

Daily Challenge 7/19

Spoiler: Details

1. Sign at spawn with Spanish and a town name. We are in the northern hemisphere based on shadows but the sun looks like we're close to the equator, so I'm thinking Columbia. When I turn around I do see a Columbian cross on a sign. The billboard has a name on it that could be a person or a town. I start moving up the highway east to try and find a road sign. Eventually time is running out. With mountains to the south and it being relatively flat I put my pin in the north just south of Cartagena, but the location ends up being south of Bogota. 481mi, 2976 points.

2. Again Spanish on spawn and northern hemisphere. I decide we won't get two Columbias in a row. By vibes I feel like it's Guatemala. (turns out there was a meta clue I missed, green paint on utility pole, that would have confirmed it). I think Guatemala is the only central/south america country with roof racks on the Google car. I click around and try to find a town name or road name, as we are on a highway. In the end with mountains to the south I reasoned we are near Guatemala City but not in it because it's a bit rural. I choose a highway north of the city, and the location is just west of the city. Good round. 19mi 4986 points.

3. Kicking myself for this one. I immediately think this looks like Lesotho mountains. It's got some flat ridges and no trees. We are driving on the left and I do see some locals to confirm I'm in the right area. Southern hemisphere via sun eliminates any north African countries. Still, I feel weird with this location being IN the mountains. I've never gotten a Lesotho map inside their mountains, I thought there wasn't any coverage so I opt for the mountainous south coast of South Africa instead. Huge mistake, I should have trusted my initial read. 510mi. 2883 points.

4. Very southeast Asian environment, but then I see some English on a sign. Likely indicates The Philippines. I'd expect to see another language along with English if we were elsewhere. I move up the road and find an Ambulance that says it is serving Masbate. I search the Philippines a bit but can't find it. I then scan Indonesia in case my read is wrong and the English is a coincidence. Waste of time honestly. Eventually I decide to plonk in the south of the country. Unfortunately there was a Masbate Island just south of Manilla I missed. 342mi. 3457 points.

5. Unique car, roof racks with the black stripes. I know this is a meta car but it takes me awhile to come up with the Dominican Republic. I do peak at the Plonk It guide to DR as I can't recall ever getting this country. Coverage only in two cities, and mountains to the south means we're in Santiago. This location is urban but doesn't have any businesses or street signs I can search for. I plonk in the center of the city and it ends up being in a neighborhood in the south. Very good plonk, even if I needed a little assistance. 2.7mi. 4985 points.

19197 overall. Second guessing myself on Lesotho cost me gold here.

T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:48 am

Post by T-Bone »

Oh I use two resources primarily as aids to help me learn the game.

https://geohints.com and https://www.plonkit.net/guide

Then I also have the flag list and country code list open as tabs too.

T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:36 am

Post by T-Bone »

Okay I am really proud of this daily challenge I think it's my best score ever 23,953. (July 21st)

Spoiler: Details
Round 1 is Africa but not Ghana or Nigeria. Sun looks like we're near the equator. I click forward and the car suddenly changes to a car I recognize from Kenya. I move up a bit to this little town shop thing and there's a sign for A3 highway and two town names. I scan for the highway and as I zoom in I happen to find the two town names, they are pretty close together. I find a road that looks like the I am on and click it. I ended up overestimating how far up the road I actually was, pin was much closer to the intersection than I thought. 1275yds. 4996 points.

#2 Is southeast Asia. I see a sign with road markings and after I zoom in on Indonesia and Malaysia I notice the shields for the road numbers match that country. There are a couple of town names on this intersection and I spend the rest of the round trying to find them but I never do. I do eventually find the A12 highway and put down a pin. Not a bad plonk, turns out the location was on the A11 right before it hit the A12. 39mi. 4793 points.

#3 I quickly found a sign that says Mexico, and then after find a Mexican flag so we're in Mexico. This road is confusing because there are a series of signs pointing to highway 57 with different town names but there's literally no turn off in sight. I do find highway 57 and start scanning it for the town names on the signs. I never find them and eventually plonk it just north of the southern city where highway 57 ends. Turns out I was on a different highway that eventually intersects with 57, but the signs telling you to turn were almost five miles back. 7.6mi. 4959 points.

#4 Spawn is on this rural road outside what looks to be a small warehouse type business. I see no clues but I'm thinking Baltic states based on vibes as it is very green. I eventually find a sign with a language that has accents, but it's very blurry and I cannot make it out exactly. Could be Polish, could be Finnish, could be Lithuanian. I eventually settle on plonking outside Kaunus since that's in the very center of Lithuania. I did get the right country but the location was very east. 96mi. 4508 points.

#5 It could be any number of countries with desert grasslands. I find a very confusing industrial park sign up the road. Everything is in English and one of companies is Donors of Japan. Weird. I keep going and find another sign in Arabic, and then one more sign in the Jewish language (sorry I don't know what it is called) so it kinda lines up with Israel. No more road markings the rest of the way so I pick a location west of Jerusalem kinda near the coast, but it ends up being in the west bank on the boarder with Jordan. I didn't even know there was coverage in that part of the country. Still not bad. 58mi. 4697 points.

the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:07 pm

Post by the worst »

i don't play it super regularly but i'll be checking in here when i do. keen on streams/collabs and stuff too!
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:07 pm

Post by T3 »

In post 0, T-Bone wrote: https://www.geoguessr.com - Link in case someone comes across this and doesn't know what it is.

I wanted to see if anyone is playing it. I'd like to talk about the daily challenge, multiplayer, meta tricks you've learned etc.

I'd also love to play/stream on our Discord. I did it once with a few people during Survivormeet and even just crowdsourcing during a map is fun.
I like geoguessr but I don’t play multiplayer very frequently. I think I’m still like 700 elo or something. I almost exclusively play the South Africa map bc I like to play with my cousin from there.

Return to “General Discussion”