International Mafia Month 2024

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled
Pronoun: None

International Mafia Month 2024

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:12 am

Post by AniX »

That's right, after a very short 13 year break, it's back!

International Mafia Month traces back to the 2006 Scummies when mith, in honor of the then upcoming fifth anniversary of Mafiascum on March 28th, 2007, declared the whole month of March "International Mafia Day". Yes, the whole month. This gag would become reality a mere week later, when the first International Mafia Month dropped. This tradition would continue over the next few years, occurring in 2008, 2009, and 2010, before mysteriously ending (some say because mith was ousted from power!) after its 2011 incarnation. Flay tried to bring it back in 2014 (Thanks Who for the find!) before it once again faded away. But now that I am
formally
in charge, I want to bring it back. And so, every day during the month of March, a new theme day will be posted. Some will be old classics! Some will be shiny and new! But all of them will invite you to celebrate this site, its community, and its amazing members.

International Mafia
Day
Month Daily Events

February 29 -
March 1 -
March 2 -
March 3 -
March 4 -
March 5 -
March 6 -
March 7 -

March 8 -
March 9 -
March 10 -
March 11 -
March 12 -
March 13 -
March 14 -
March 15 -
March 16 -
March 17 -
March 18 -
March 19 -
March 20 -
March 21 -

March 22 -
March 23 -
March 24 -
March 25 -
March 26 -
March 27 -
March 28 -
March 29 -
March 30 -
March 31 -
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!
DREAMER OF THE NE0N DREAM (SUPP 2021 LAST PLACE WINNER)!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:12 am

Post by AniX »

February 29 - "Wait, what do you mean it's not March yet?" Day

In the grand tradition of previous IMM leap years, a bonus day for the world is a bonus IMM day for us! It's time to pre-game: I've linked all the old threads, any days you are hoping get brought back this time around? Tell me what parts of the site you think deserve their own IMM day in the sun. And if you are a true veteran of the site, share good memories you might have of the IMMs of yesteryear.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:18 am

Post by Ythan »

:eyes:
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:26 am

Post by Gypyx »

pretty hyped about all this
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (9/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:53 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

I could have sworn some IMD month happened while I've been on site.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:54 am

Post by Who »

In the spirit of "link old IMM threads day", I present this link.
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:10 am

Post by AniX »

In post 5, Who wrote: In the spirit of "link old IMM threads day", I present this link.
You know, I thought there was one more I was missing, but didn't think to check if Flay was the one who made it. Good catch!
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Bingle
Bingle
Survivor
Bingle
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:08 am

Post by Bingle »

In post 1, AniX wrote:
February 29 - "Wait, what do you mean it's not March yet?" Day

And if you are a true veteran of the site, share good memories you might have of the IMMs of yesteryear.
Do you remember that time when AniX brought back international mafia month and everyone enjoyed it?

viewtopic.php?t=92365
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:51 am

Post by RH9 »

ego
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
N
N
Jack of All Trades
N
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:54 pm

Post by N »

I thought Ariel did one of these more recently than that
GTKAS

Share And Enjoy
(go stick your head in a pig)
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:05 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 9, N wrote: I thought Ariel did one of these more recently than that
The international mish mash month of April last year?
viewtopic.php?t=90743
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:08 pm

Post by Who »

In post 9, N wrote: I thought Ariel did one of these more recently than that
That was International Mish-Mash Month, completely different.

I do remember a few things about IMD which don't match 2014, so there may have been more since, but I can't find any others which happened while I have been here so I'm probably misremembering those details.
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:00 pm

Post by AniX »

March 1 - "Today's Theme is 'Theme'" Day

Theme games, be they micro, mini, or large, are a very popular format on this website and the source of some of our most memorable games, both because of the interesting flavor wrapped around the game we all know and love but also because it is the site's hub of innovation, with every new mechanic and role showing up here first. If you want to see what the future holds for the game of Mafia, you NEED to be reading Theme Games!

So let's give it some love. What have been some of your favorite Theme games to have read or played on the site? What are some of your favorite mechanics and roles to come out of there?

And if you REALLY want to give the Theme Queue its due, run and play some games there! There has never been a better time to bring out that game you've been tinkering with because the Theme Queue only has one game in sign-ups and is ready for intrepid mods!
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Ariel
Ariel
none please
edited 449 times in total
Ariel
none please
Pronoun: none please

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:43 am

Post by Ariel »

Favourite I've read - Going with the nostalgia pick of 24 Mafia from 2007. I thought that the multiple win conditions (traditional town vs. scum and then a themed one), and the roles being elected, were interesting twists to see play out. AniX, I also wanted to point out that you commented in post-game that the game was won in the 11th hour (out of 24).

Favourites I've played - I don't have a ton to choose from, but Oddrole Mafia was the most fun as a logic puzzle for me. I was aware of resources at our disposal for figuring out setup-related possibilities and was able to help lead the conversation in that game. I thought it was funny that there was a serial Daykiller that kept killing whoever posted first each day to try to psych people out of posting, but due to odd role mechanics, they ended up getting daykilled in the end.

Two themes I enjoyed enough to do my own modding take on were Encore (players get roles they've had in a previous game on the site) and scummer upicks.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:05 am

Post by AniX »

I also posted before the game even ended, a game I did not play even a second of, to to basically shitpost "lol 11th Hour" (I think my special keyword search was triggered)

Just goes to show you can openly break the rules, take nothing seriously, suffer no consequences for my actions, and eventually rise to the highest ranks of power.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Ausuka
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Ausuka
she/her
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Team Mafia Winner
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:13 am

Post by Ausuka »

I thought this theme game I played recently (on meowmeow) had really creative design and flavour. I do quite like games which are vanilla but have mechanics accessible to all of the players. The game ended pretty quickly, as can happen with 9:4 games, but I would have liked to see more of it.
In post 14, AniX wrote: I also posted before the game even ended, a game I did not play even a second of, to to basically shitpost "lol 11th Hour" (I think my special keyword search was triggered)

Just goes to show you can openly break the rules, take nothing seriously, suffer no consequences for my actions, and eventually rise to the highest ranks of power.
But if you break the rules in normal games remember that I am a tyrant and will come for you
No matter what happens, I'll be right there with you.
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:41 am

Post by Bell »

Happy international mafia month.
May all months follow its example.
Bell
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Bell
He/him
Sharp Note
Sharp Note
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:49 am

Post by Bell »

I think currently my favorite theme game is death curse by Hectic. It was basically a game of hot potato with a revenge shot for any player that was eliminated. Giving them a chance to look cool if they lost the influence game. It was surprisingly nuanced in how to approach players about to get eliminated.
For this year my favorite theme was JOAT by ff. Many players used their abilities sub-optimally, misunderstood their abilities, but above all, it was fun and it taught me something about how to think of roles.
I like dance games but one of the down sides is that sometimes people just yolo leave and it leaves you very confused.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:19 am

Post by schadd_ »

In post 12, AniX wrote: And if you REALLY want to give the Theme Queue its due, run and play some games there!
hey good idea actually
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: Balki B

Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:22 am

Post by Gypyx »

i love the mystery box of silver series
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (9/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:42 am

Post by Gammagooey »

Probably 90% of the non-Marathon games I've played on-site have been Theme games - two of my favorites are:

Signs & Void: The 2015 Team Mafia Large Theme, that had not only AMAZING flavor from hito, but split Days into Minor Days of giving small Boons or Banes to individual players and making a Choice that would affect how power roles functioned, or the next Major Day's Eliminations, and Major Days of (usually) 2 Vote Eliminations. The roles were fantastic and creative, the game swung hugely despite town being at each others throats for a huge portion of the previous days after a successful vig shot, and I look back at it fondly despite myself arguing to elim the most important town power role for a good portion of Major Day 2 >_>

Star Control: Alliance Initiative: One of my earlier games on-site, with complex interacting roles that were split into your actual character abilities/passives and abilities & stored power of the ship you were on, as well as a fantastic playerlist consisting of several players I would enjoy playing with for years afterwards. The action resolution had a few mistakes, but I would join another Star Control game with similar mechanics in a heartbeat.
AniX
AniX
None
UCalled
AniX
None
UCalled
UCalled

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:57 pm

Post by AniX »

March 2 - "Do Some Work, You Slackers!" Day

The work week may have ended, but that just means you all have some time to devote to improving the site, right?

Today, I'd like to call on all users to make an effort to contribute to the site in some way, large or small. Pick an entry or three on MafiaWiki and make it/them really fantastic. See anything on the site that needs to be cleaned up? Let us know! It can even be something as simple as creating a new post in Mafia or General Discussion that prompts interesting conversation!

This is also a great day to volunteer for ongoing site projects too! If you a talent or passion for art or graphics (or making merchandise I guess), we are looking to get our Art & Merchandise Group going and Save the Dragons, the appointed director of that effort, would love to have you. Followed my advice and did a little work on the Wiki and think you'd like to keep that going? Let one of our Wiki Managers (TemporalLich, Ariel, wgeurts, RH9) know! And if you think you'd be an asset to planning and writing for the Scummies going forward, Ircher is ready and waiting to take your call.
Official Gimmick List:
INVENTOR OF UPICK!
LORD OF THE 11TH HOUR!
ASEXUAL!
KING SCAR APOLOGIST!

I have donned the
RED CROWN
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Gypyx
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:38 am

Post by Gypyx »

so, asking here since that's probably where that'll get the most visibility, but what's the stand on pages for specific games? i see there are some but there also have been pages deleted because they apparently weren't necessary?

bottom text
Ariel
Ariel
none please
Ariel
none please
Pronoun: none please

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:00 am

Post by Ariel »

nothing fantastic, but i did put in some wiki work today

i suspect TL or RH9 would have a better answer for Gypyx than i would on that subject
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:05 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 22, Gypyx wrote: so, asking here since that's probably where that'll get the most visibility, but what's the stand on pages for specific games? i see there are some but there also have been pages deleted because they apparently weren't necessary?
gonna say this is my personal opinion but I don't consider them strictly necessary

most of the pages of specific games that I've deleted were because they had the L-word
time will end

Return to “News”