Shell Game (Day 3)

Large Theme Games (based on source material and/or changes to mechanics/rules)
(14+ players)
. Signup Threads In Queue Forum
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1200 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:19 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

also like how does one even leave their critical thinking skills behind in a scum pt with someone else?

like is he seriously saying I put my brain cells with my scum partner?

I'm assuming thats just a joke right? cuz if its serious that doesnt even make sense tbh
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1201 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:20 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 1192, morph the cat wrote:
In post 1189, Brian Skies wrote: I may have skipped some of Pooky v Oblivion, but otherwise have caught up.

\o/
Thoughts?
I suppose I'll start with Dethy hood since that is the popular topic so far.

If there were a consensus scumread out of that hood, then I'd be amenable to the idea of eliminating there. However, only some of the players (Marci, Klick, Sunflower) from that hood are really giving much outside of their hood for the rest of us to generate a read on them. STD and Dan haven't really given much. Granted, it's still early and this can change.

Of the five in the hood, I'd probably only have Marci outside my would-lynch pile. And I've generally felt Sunflower and Klick to be slightly more towny than STD and Dan. But this is just based on what I can see in thread and not 'he-said-she-said' from the neighborhood.

I don't think it would be a bad thing to eliminate outside of the Dethy hood if there isn't a consensus elimination. If it's the Dethy I'm thinking of, then eliminating potential cops in the hood without getting at least a result from them would make deciphering sanities more difficult later. And it would force the scumteam to focus down that hood for us.

I disagree with Dan and think a miller fits with a Dethy neighborhood. Unless he just thinks it doesn't fit the overall theme. And I've generally liked CSF's play today.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1202 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:21 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

like I find saying someone lacks critical thinking skills to be insulting if its a serious comment.

but I kind of dont think its a serious comment because on its face it doesnt even make sense in a serious way?

so thats why I treated it as a joke.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1203 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:25 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 1201, Brian Skies wrote:
In post 1192, morph the cat wrote:
In post 1189, Brian Skies wrote: I may have skipped some of Pooky v Oblivion, but otherwise have caught up.

\o/
Thoughts?
I suppose I'll start with Dethy hood since that is the popular topic so far.

If there were a consensus scumread out of that hood, then I'd be amenable to the idea of eliminating there. However, only some of the players (Marci, Klick, Sunflower) from that hood are really giving much outside of their hood for the rest of us to generate a read on them. STD and Dan haven't really given much. Granted, it's still early and this can change.

Of the five in the hood, I'd probably only have Marci outside my would-lynch pile. And I've generally felt Sunflower and Klick to be slightly more towny than STD and Dan. But this is just based on what I can see in thread and not 'he-said-she-said' from the neighborhood.

I don't think it would be a bad thing to eliminate outside of the Dethy hood if there isn't a consensus elimination. If it's the Dethy I'm thinking of, then eliminating potential cops in the hood without getting at least a result from them would make deciphering sanities more difficult later. And it would force the scumteam to focus down that hood for us.

I disagree with Dan and think a miller fits with a Dethy neighborhood. Unless he just thinks it doesn't fit the overall theme. And I've generally liked CSF's play today.
What do you think about the other hood?

And what are your thoughts about players not in the hoods?

A lot has happened that you weren't around to react to. I feel like the thread could really use some more content from you.
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: It/Its

Post Post #1204 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:34 pm

Post by Oblivion »

In post 1200, PookyTheMagicalBear wrote: also like how does one even leave their critical thinking skills behind in a scum pt with someone else?

like is he seriously saying I put my brain cells with my scum partner?

I'm assuming thats just a joke right? cuz if its serious that doesnt even make sense tbh
It honestly can't speak for Morph. It read it as saying that you were scum trying to play dumb in a too cute way, essentially. Like, that you were feigning not understanding. Perhaps Morph can shed light, it doesn't know. But it wouldn't have assumed it was a joke to begin with. It also wouldn't have assumed it to be an insult.
This is the law, written in the stars and seeds: in the end, all things must fail. They are old as the stars.
But not older.

And you, who have your human heart again, know all their secrets still.
This is the truth you will use to break them, to rend chains apart and set their prisoners free:
no one else has ever loved this way before.
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1205 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:35 pm

Post by Oblivion »

Regardless, given the lack of players weighing in to say that this is out of character for you and Luke weighing in to confirm this is indeed how you approach things it is going to assume this is the norm for you which... it will now have to decide if your behaviour with that as the norm actually indicates alignment anywhere. Which is not going to be fun because it has no idea where to begin. You feel so fully leveled against yourself that you could honestly swing either direction.
This is the law, written in the stars and seeds: in the end, all things must fail. They are old as the stars.
But not older.

This is the truth you will use to break them, to rend chains apart and set their prisoners free:
Cat Scratch Fever
Cat Scratch Fever
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Cat Scratch Fever
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1206 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:38 pm

Post by Cat Scratch Fever »

In post 862, ActionDan wrote:
In post 848, Dunnstral wrote:
In post 836, ActionDan wrote: Just fire, and to answer him it is unnecessary.

I am not the arbiter of why scum would claim Miller after ascetic, only that it does not fit the setup as I see it.
What was your view on the setup when you doubted the miller claim?
I was close to certain we had 4 cops on a cycle of reliabilites plus one scum of some sort (cop inventor or not)

Pedit. I believe I contemporaneously more or less figured out the setup when the Miller was claimed from memory.
Was the bolded a cause and effect, as in my miller claim jolted an "aha!" moment about the hood for you?

This question is more for the other members of the hood, but I also recall ActionDan said there was "0 or 1" scum in the hood. When did that happen in the hood, and does the timing line up with his narrative here? like after he saw my claim, did he continue to push the possibility of 0 scum in the hood?
Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1207 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:39 pm

Post by Oblivion »

It's take of you is that you try to control how you are perceived and control conversations, that you have a large ego (this is not an insult, for the love of god having an ego is not a bad thing) and tend to view things black and white instead of possible shades of grey, and that you use humour to deflect from things you don't want to engage with.

Is any of this an unfair assessment of your playstyle in Mafia to your eyes, Pooky?
But not older.

Oblivion
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Oblivion
It/Its
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1208 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:42 pm

Post by Oblivion »

It also thinks you think more steps ahead than most people do, you're frequently overlooked because of your humour and tend to make people want to work with you by being affable.
But not older.

Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1209 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

I'm going to be honest, I spent most of today just trying to catch up that I don't remember a lot that's happened outside of the Dethy hood. From what I do remember:

The other hood hasn't claimed anything of note mechanically. Looking back, that hood is [Spiffeh, Dunn, Crab, Bingle, Cakez, Firepup]. I think Spiffeh, Dunn, and Crab are town. Two of these players haven't even posted yet. Firepup seems busy/sick.

Outside of the hood, I have liked Shellos and Luke. I'm not a fan of Oblivion, but I think that has more to do with Pooky vs. Oblivion than anything else gameplay-related.
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1210 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:44 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 1209, Brian Skies wrote: I'm going to be honest, I spent most of today just trying to catch up that I don't remember a lot that's happened outside of the Dethy hood. From what I do remember:

The other hood hasn't claimed anything of note mechanically. Looking back, that hood is [Spiffeh, Dunn, Crab, Bingle, Cakez, Firepup]. I think Spiffeh, Dunn, and Crab are town. Two of these players haven't even posted yet. Firepup seems busy/sick.

Outside of the hood, I have liked Shellos and Luke. I'm not a fan of Oblivion, but I think that has more to do with Pooky vs. Oblivion than anything else gameplay-related.
And your thought's on Pooky?
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1211 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:58 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

Pooky is pretty null for me. He's mostly been pretty jokey and hasn't done anything that I would consider townish that I can remember.
Cat Scratch Fever
Cat Scratch Fever
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Cat Scratch Fever
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #1212 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:02 pm

Post by Cat Scratch Fever »

In post 758, Firebringer wrote: I am voting dan for the CSF shade while being a supposed cop
In post 1151, Firebringer wrote:
In post 1145, morph the cat wrote: You're voting him. Apparently based on the miller thing. Is there more?
Well I think the timeline of events makes it sus unless i am misunderstanding how things went.
I think actiondan was saying CSF before the outing of neighborhood, miller doesn't make sense until dan found out that there is cops. He then went to "that doesn't make sense with the creativity of game, which is weird for him to say imo because that implies understanding the game setup in some deeper way or what cephrir would design. Both seem fishy to me.

I also just think actiondan is the least townie of that whole neighborhood.
This is kinda pinging me even though I'm suspicious of dan as well

feels like jumping the gun
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1213 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:03 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 1211, Brian Skies wrote: Pooky is pretty null for me. He's mostly been pretty jokey and hasn't done anything that I would consider townish that I can remember.
Could you expand on your Spiffeh townread?
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1214 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:06 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 1212, Cat Scratch Fever wrote:
In post 758, Firebringer wrote: I am voting dan for the CSF shade while being a supposed cop
In post 1151, Firebringer wrote:
In post 1145, morph the cat wrote: You're voting him. Apparently based on the miller thing. Is there more?
Well I think the timeline of events makes it sus unless i am misunderstanding how things went.
I think actiondan was saying CSF before the outing of neighborhood, miller doesn't make sense until dan found out that there is cops. He then went to "that doesn't make sense with the creativity of game, which is weird for him to say imo because that implies understanding the game setup in some deeper way or what cephrir would design. Both seem fishy to me.

I also just think actiondan is the least townie of that whole neighborhood.
This is kinda pinging me even though I'm suspicious of dan as well

feels like jumping the gun
i mean we are never the same alignment so
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Sunflower
Sunflower
Mafia Scum
Sunflower
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1215 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:20 pm

Post by Sunflower »

In post 735, Lukewarm wrote:
In post 188, marcistar wrote: Also sunflower saying theres exactly 1 is a bit wonky but i think the "1 or 0" is farrr worse
@sunflower

When you said exactly 1, had you already figured out that it was a dethy?
ok im clarifying some timeline things, i think its just confusing to not have things more fully explained in thread

- we got the role pm, i was like "wtf is this role". talk to jupiter about it a lil bit. game starts

- actiondan says he thinks 0 or 1 scum in hood

- i crumbed in hood (posted a meme about unreliable narrators) and in thread with , around the same time. i probably wouldn't have crumbed if i thought there were multiple of this role but i was just thinking about myself and thought it could be a good idea to do

- actiondan immediately afterwards very heavily was hinting that he understood the crumbs and was townreading me for it

- so i was like ok hm actiondan recognizes these. i don't think the crumbs were like super obvious on their own so i think he's signaling to me that he has the same role. kinda weird how strongly he's signaling to me but okay

- i connect the dots that there's 4 possibilities for reliability (the four options are stated in our pm), apparently at least one other hood member has the same role, and there's 5 people in the hood. i think it would make sense if there's 4 people and each of us has one of the reliabilities and we don't know which is which

- i post in hood a few minutes later that i think that 1 scum in our hood feels elegant

- this all happened within an hour of gamestart

- nobody else really reacts to any of the role related stuff which i found a little strange/surprising

- at some point i realize scum probably has to be informed somehow about the roles cause otherwise things would be too easy

- AD was the first one to explicitly mention our weird roles and implied that he thought we all had them, when explaining reasoning for 0 or 1 scum in hood

- klick asks why he thinks that we all have weird roles, std is like i have a weird role, i say scum must be somehow aware of things, jupiter says we should massclaim, AD says he assumes we all have it based on him noticing me crumbing his same role

- marci starts talking about how her role is powerful and i get suspicious of her and think she is scum who doesn't have full info so i want her to claim first

- i propose claim order with marci klick std AD us

- we kinda skip that part and people start talking more explicitly about like, hey i think i know what's going on here. klick and std and i all talk about the theory of each of us being the 4 options of reliability. marci is catching on. std is the first to explicitly mention dethy, klick agrees that's what's happening, me and marci are like "idk how dethy works or what that is". it gets explained

- for the record i have vaguely heard of dethy and looked it up once bc hellbooks kept memeing about it in a coalition game but i did not remember how it worked and didn't realize that was necessarily what was going on until std pointed it out

- after that point we're talking pretty openly. i think that the way std's thought process visibly developed in the hood looks really towny and is very well-faked if mafia. i think looking back at it again now, marci's is also pretty towny. AD i am like a little wary that his signaling to me/townreading to me was strange given his apparent mindset that scum would also be informed. klick and AD are the most suspicious to me, probably klick more at this point

:blossom:
Sunflower
Sunflower
Mafia Scum
Sunflower
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1216 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:21 pm

Post by Sunflower »

i already am basically caught up but gonna skim through to see if there's any more explicit questions and then update reads

Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1217 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:22 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

In post 1213, morph the cat wrote:
In post 1211, Brian Skies wrote: Pooky is pretty null for me. He's mostly been pretty jokey and hasn't done anything that I would consider townish that I can remember.
Could you expand on your Spiffeh townread?
I liked his early case against Sunflower even though I do not agree with it. I also like where he questions other players writing him off. I also like that he's focusing more of his energy on the main thread than his neighborhood, as I feel scum are more likely to avoid the main thread. I also like that Spiffeh suspected me earlier as I feel like I live rent free in his head in the games I play with him.
morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1218 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:23 pm

Post by morph the cat »

Why hasn't Jupiter posted in the game thread?
Sunflower
Sunflower
Mafia Scum
Sunflower
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1219 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:25 pm

Post by Sunflower »

cause y'all have gone through 49 pages in less than 24 hours and he's been busy for almost all of that time so idk if he's even looked at main thread

ive kept him caught up on the role stuff but not much else

morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1220 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:26 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 1215, Sunflower wrote: - after that point we're talking pretty openly. i think that the way std's thought process visibly developed in the hood looks really towny and is very well-faked if mafia. i think looking back at it again now, marci's is also pretty towny. AD i am like a little wary that his signaling to me/townreading to me was strange given his apparent mindset that scum would also be informed. klick and AD are the most suspicious to me,
probably klick more at this point

Also, why is Klick the most suspicious to you?
Sunflower
Sunflower
Mafia Scum
Sunflower
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1221 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:29 pm

Post by Sunflower »

klick has just felt kinda positional play in response to all of this and is just not approaching things in the way i tend to expect him to solve. i think he tends to feel really pretty measured and reasonable and confident in his ability to read people and here he feels put on the back foot and the reads don't feel like they're coming naturally

morph the cat
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
morph the cat
Sync Achieved
Sync Achieved

Post Post #1222 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:32 pm

Post by morph the cat »

In post 1221, Sunflower wrote: klick has just felt kinda positional play in response to all of this and is just not approaching things in the way i tend to expect him to solve. i think he tends to feel really pretty measured and reasonable and confident in his ability to read people and here he feels put on the back foot and the reads don't feel like they're coming naturally

Have you played with scum-Klick before?
Brian Skies
Brian Skies
Survivor
Brian Skies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1223 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:32 pm

Post by Brian Skies »

Is there anything noteworthy in the neighborhood that doesn't have to do with neighborhood mechanics or roles?
Sunflower
Sunflower
Mafia Scum
Sunflower
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1224 (ISO) » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:35 pm

Post by Sunflower »

In post 1222, morph the cat wrote:
In post 1221, Sunflower wrote: klick has just felt kinda positional play in response to all of this and is just not approaching things in the way i tend to expect him to solve. i think he tends to feel really pretty measured and reasonable and confident in his ability to read people and here he feels put on the back foot and the reads don't feel like they're coming naturally

Have you played with scum-Klick before?
yeah, a lot more experience with town!klick though

i did also see that he won a scumgame that ended quite recently where he was intending to level up his scumplay, but i haven't read it closely yet, just a skim

i think that under normal circumstances i would have him in a "wait and see" position in my reads

Return to “Theme Park [Large Theme Games]”