Wizard Battle (0/5)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Wizard Battle (0/5)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:29 am

Post by xyzzy »

a friend of mine published this game in 2014, and it's designed to be especially effective for forum play; sadly, it's no longer available for sale, but I have a copy of it, and can therefore run it!
Basic Rules

Wizard Battle is a game for two or more Wizards and a single Wizard Overseer, who runs the game. Each Wizard should state his or her name (e.g. Shayla the Powerful, X'thul'malrn, Bob from Evil Accounting) and give a hint to their personality (e.g. “Shayla is arrogant and hates accountants.”)

During Wizard Battle, play takes place in a series of turns. A normal length Wizard Battle would take 10 turns, while a short Wizard Battle would take 5 turns and a long Wizard Battle would take 20 turns. There can be as many turns as decided by the Wizard Overseer before the game begins.

All Wizards start with 0 damage and can receive positive damage – harm – and negative damage – healing. The winner of a Wizard Battle is the Wizard with the lowest damage after all turns are completed. In the event of a tie for lowest damage, the tying Wizards can either agree to a tie, or declare a magical deathmatch in which the Wizard Battle continues only for the tying Wizards until they are no longer tied.

Every turn, each Wizard writes down his or her name and a single action, then gives it to the Wizard Overseer, who uses these actions to determine what happens. Available actions are split between Spells (pg. 7) and Not Spells (pg. 13). Spells are further split between Offensive Spells, Defensive Spells, and Utility Spells. These classifications matter for the effects of certain actions. The Wizard Overseer should keep a log (pg. 25) of what originally happens for every action, along with any changes, as the powers of Wizards can change things, including what happened in the past!

After the Wizard Overseer logs the events, it is his or her job to describe them and their consequences back to the battling Wizards. At minimum, the Wizard Overseer should begin by naming all original actions of the turn, then declaring results, and finally indicating all changes to a Wizard's damage. An example of this can be found under Example Play (pg. 27). Wizards are free to give their own unique spins on what happened after a turn's results are revealed (e.g. “X'thul'malrn launched a bolt of lightning at Bob, burning his expensive suit.”).

This process is repeated until all turns have been completed, signifying the end of the Wizard Battle.
Spells

Offensive Spells

Fireball

(Ignis roastem)

All other Wizards receive 1 damage. Negative damage is prevented this turn.
When you need to burn all bridges.

Seeking Blast

(Grassari bombulum)

Target Wizard receives 2 damage. The damage cannot be prevented.
You should see a doctor about that.

Lightning Bolt

(Latine iocus)

Target Wizard receives 3 damage.
Developed by an electrical panel of Wizards.

M.A.D.

(Duo perire)

Target Wizard receives 4 damage. You receive 2 damage next turn.
It doesn't need to end like this, but it's fun!

Share Pain

(Partem dolor)

Target Wizard receives damage equal to the damage you received the prior turn.
Spells, Inc. believes in equal opportunity suffering.

Defensive Spells

Shield

(Protego clunes)

Damage you receive this turn is prevented.
Non protego vos abs bombulum.

Heal

(Reparare clunes)

Target Wizard receives -2 damage.
Were you ripped a new one? Repair yourself a new two!

Invisibility

(Tollere vestitus)

Next turn, you cannot be the target of any action except Seeking Blast. Next turn, your action will not be revealed.
...Wa!?

Counter Spell

(Prohibet fruitio)

If target other Wizard casts a Spell this turn, his or her final action becomes Fizzle.
Magic for those that hate it!

Leech Life

(Anima hirudo)

Target Wizard receives 1 damage. You receive -1 damage next turn.
An easy way to get a life.

Utility Spells

Manipulate Time

(Muto tempus)

Select a previous turn. Change your original action from that turn.
Side effects include headaches and arguments.

Predict Defense

(Furtum conatum)

If target Wizard casts a Defensive Spell this turn, you receive -3 damage.
Sometimes you just have to take a chance.

Punish Offense

(Reflectere impetu)

If target Wizard casts an Offensive Spell this turn, that Wizard's target becomes his or herself.
Stop hurting yourself.

Twin Damage

(Vae! Vae!)

All damage you receive this turn is doubled. All damage you deal next turn is doubled.
More is more.

Stutter

(Repetere repetitio)

Target other Wizard's final action this turn becomes that Wizard's original action from the prior turn.
More is more.

Not Spells

Fizzle

Does nothing.
Eh.

Stab

All Wizards that cast Counter Spell or Stutter this turn receive 2 damage.
For those who hate those who hate magic.

Rest

You receive -1 damage.
Take a Wizard Power Nap™, you've earned it!
there's some extra rules that clarify interactions between individual spells; at any time, you can ask for the rulings for a given spell and I'll provide them. here's an example of a few of these for the Stutter spell:

--------

here's some more rules:
  1. by playing in this game, you agree to follow all rules that apply to the site and forum in general; you can view the forum rules here and the Mish Mash rules here.
  2. if you break any rules, I may replace you. generally, if there's a possibility that this might happen, I will privately discuss the issue with you beforehand, but some extreme cases might require me to ban you without any warnings.
  3. if I'm unable to find a replacement for a player in a reasonable amount of time, that player's actions for the rest of the game will all be the Fizzle action.
  4. the game will last 10 turns and have 5 players. each turn will last one week. if you fail to submit an action in time, you will perform the Fizzle action.
  5. new turns will not start until I post the most recent game status. I will do my best to finish that as rapidly as possible. I will send all players a PM when each turn starts.
  6. you may privately communicate with other players regarding this game.
    you may also discuss the game in this thread. action submissions must be performed via PM to the moderator. you may change your action at any time before the deadline.
  7. please include the phrase "wizard battle" in PMs you send me regarding this game.
    this way, they'll automatically go into a folder in my PMs for this game.
  8. thanks for vibing and keeping it tight. if you need me, I'm on my mobile.
here's a list of players:

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”