Everyone is a Serial Killer X! (Game Over)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:33 am

Post by PokerFace »

Slept more on the setup. People with lots of blocks, will likely get lynched during the day where their blocks won't save them. Lurkers will get killed at night. This is the real optimal play not the reverse. I don't think I want the game to come to that.

The only problems the current setup really has is resolving all players dying and tightening up end game mechanics a little, so the only updates that are really needed to the current setup are outlined here:
In post 1, PokerFace wrote:
Everyone's Role PM wrote:You and everyone else in the game is a serial killer. Each night you must send a kill choice and a protect choice. You can not choose to protect yourself. If you do not send a protect of another player, your kill will target yourself and you will protect no one. You can vote, lynch, and talk during the day. You can also talk at night in the same game thread. All deaths will be revealed as "XXX has died as a serial killer." Carefully pick your victims and make the right alliances to survive as long as you can. Survive to the end of the game and you may win...
Basic Mechanics
:
-Every player must send a kill and a protect each night. You can not protect yourself. If you do not send a protect of another player, your kill will target yourself and you will protect no one
-Protects prevent only 1 kill. If you only get protected once and you are targets for 2 or more kills, you are going to die.
-Players can be voted out during the day, but they don't have to be. No lynching is possible
-The game will start with night 0 where all players can send a kill and protect

End Game Mechanics:

-If only 1 player is currently alive, that player wins the game
-If only 2 players are alive then we go directly to the Final Phase. Both living players must send me a choice, Shoot or Truce. If both players truce, they share the win. If one shoots and the other sends truce, the shooter wins. If both shoot, all currently dead players win, both shooters lose.

Regulations and Resolutions:

-If 3 or more players are currently alive, the game must continue
-If all players die in the same night, the night is replayed. Each player must change at least one of their actions in some way when the night is replayed. If you do not change at least one of your actions, you will die that night.

Super Kill Mechanics:

-If you receive the most protects or are tied for the most protects at night, your kill is super charged! It will succeed regardless of how many protects are in its way!
FAQ:

Q: Is this a Mafia Game?
A: There is no Informed Minority or Uninformed Majority, and there is no talking outside the game thread. The thread will not be locked during the night either. So its been approved to be run in the mish mash forum since its not really mafia.

Q. How long will each night last?
A. 2-3 days. If I get all action before 2 days, it will end after 2 days. If it takes longer for me to receive all actions, it will last 3 days. If someone has still not sent a kill in those 3 days, that player will target themselves with that kill. Any other actions/abilities that player has will target no one.

Q: What if I am gonna be on V/la during the night?
A: Then you should give me V/la notice and or send your choices to me in advance so that you don't kill yourself the next night.

Q. Can I change my actions at night after I have already sent them to you?
A. As long as I get the changes before the night ends, sure.

Players can post in game during both day and night phases. Game will only be locked if I am in process of writing the end of night scene. If you see the thread locked, you can no longer change your actions for that night. The thread will only be locked for a few minutes at most. So if you ever see the thread is locked, come back in a few minutes and it won't be. This game has no set player limit.
Last edited by PokerFace on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:01 am

Post by Jingle »

I think switching the protect for a roleblock for people targeting you is a good choice, both thematically and strategically. It doesn’t encourage team play to the same extent as the protects do, and adds an element of strategy in that you’re guessing who percieves you to be a threat. Having it be just the one that everyone gets would be fine though, and doesn’t change much about the setup. Maybe run the one you just posted, and then try the roleblock one the iteration after that?
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:04 am

Post by Jingle »

I could also see an option of letting dead players post in thread (not telling them who shot them of course) to try to encourage the crosskill and confuse game solving if it gets to the point where weveryone just teams up all the time.
This is a Parachute.
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:53 pm

Post by PokerFace »

The one I just posted is identical to this game except sending no actions at night means you kill yourself and all players dying is a night reset

I could still switch out protects for roleblocks and see if that's better. Making that switch would remove the need for the super kill mechanic . So that sounds like its worth trying
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
TesXX
TesXX
Mafia Scum
TesXX
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:41 pm

Post by TesXX »

I'd be willing to play that!
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #305 (ISO) » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:36 am

Post by PokerFace »

I still feel like the version with the protects is the best as it utilizes convincing others to protect you, and it gives you the option to survive more than 1 kill at night. It rewards good night and good day play.

The current roleblock version would only allow you to survive 1 kill at night. If I could come up with a good way to reward night and day play so you withstand more than one kill, then I think a setup with roleblocks would be worth running. Until I think of a good way to organize that, I'm putting the current notes I have here:

Current "Everyone is a Serial Killer RB" setup
Everyone's Role PM wrote:You and everyone else in the game is a serial killer. Each night you must send a kill choice or you will kill yourself. You can vote, lynch, and talk during the day. You can also talk at night in the same game thread. You can prevent one player from killing you each night. Simply select a player and if they try to kill you that night, they will not succeed. If they try to kill anyone else that night, you won't be able to prevent it. Suicides can't be prevented. All deaths will be revealed as "XXX has died as a serial killer." Work well with others during the day and carefully pick your victims at night to survive as long as you can. Survive to the end of the game and you may win...
Basic Mechanics
:
-Players can be voted out during the day, but they don't have to be. No lynching is possible
-The game will start with night 0 where all players can send a kill and a prevent

End Game Mechanics:

-If only 1 player is currently alive, that player wins the game
-If only 2 players are alive then we go directly to the Final Phase. Both living players must send me a choice, Shoot or Truce. If both players truce, they share the win. If one shoots and the other sends truce, the shooter wins. If both shoot, all currently dead players win, both shooters lose.

-If 3 or more players are currently alive, the game must continue
-If all players die in the same night, the night is replayed. Each player must change at least one of their action targets when the night is replayed. If you do not do this, you will kill yourself that night.
FAQ:

A: There is no Informed Minority or Uninformed Majority, and there is no talking outside the game thread. The thread will not be locked during the night either. So its been approved to be run in the mish mash forum since its not really mafia.

A. 2-3 days. If I get all action before 2 days, it will end after 2 days. If it takes longer for me to receive all actions, it will last 3 days. If someone has still not sent a kill in those 3 days, that player will target themselves with that kill. Any other actions/abilities that player has will target no one.

A: Then you should give me V/la notice and or send your choices to me in advance so that you don't kill yourself the next night.

Players can post in game during both day and night phases. Game will only be locked if I am in process of writing the end of night scene. If you see the thread locked, you can no longer change your actions for that night. The thread will only be locked for a few minutes at most. So if you ever see the thread is locked, come back in a few minutes and it won't be. This game has no set player limit.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #306 (ISO) » Sat May 05, 2018 2:17 am

Post by PokerFace »

I have taken some time to think and come to the conclusion that I don't need to further reward the day play. Players can vote other players and lynching someone that is not yourself will lead to you making it to night. That's enough of a reward.

Instead I think I will reward the night play. If you sucessfully block a kill, you get a second role block. This role block will work exactly the same as your other role block. It can be used every future night, but so that players don't get too powerful, you can only have a max of 2 role blocks under your control. If 3 people target you at one night, you will die no matter how many blocks you have. If 3 players are currently alive and they can each block each other, then those 3 players win. If 3 players are currently alive and 2 have 2 role blocks while the last player only has 1, then the 2 with 2 go to 2 player end game. If 3 players are currently alive and only 1 of them has two role blocks, that one player wins.

If you get a second roleblock at night, you may or may not want to kill the player that gave it to you in the near future. After all they know you have that block because you survived the kill. You can make friends with that player or kill them so that no one else knows you have 2 roleblocks. Your choice.

Final "Everyone is a Serial Killer RB" Setup
Everyone's Role PM wrote:You and everyone else in the game is a serial killer. Each night you must send a kill choice or you will kill yourself. You can vote, lynch, and talk during the day. You can also talk at night in the same game thread. You can prevent one player from killing you each night. Simply select a player and if they try to kill you that night, they will not succeed. If they try to kill anyone else that night, you won't be able to prevent it. Suicides can't be prevented. If you manage to successfully prevent your own death, you will be given a second prevent that can be used on future nights. You can not have more than two prevents. If three people try to kill you in one night, you will die. All deaths will be revealed as "XXX has died as a serial killer." Work well with others during the day and carefully pick your victims at night to survive as long as you can. Survive to the end of the game and you may win...
Basic Mechanics
:
-The game will start with night 0 where all players can send a kill and a prevent

-If 3 or more players are alive and NO player can theoretically block all other players, the game must continue.
-If 3 players are alive and at least 1 player has two role blocks, the player(s) with 2 role blocks go to end game. If all 3 have 2 blocks, those 3 win together
-If all players die in the same night, no one unlocks new role blocks for that night. The night is replayed as though it never happened. Each player must change at least one of their action targets when the night is replayed. If you do not do this, you will kill yourself that night.

End Game Mechanics:

-If 1 player remains, that player wins the game
-If 2 players remain then we go to a Final Phase. Both players must send me a choice, Shoot or Truce. If both players truce, they share the win. If one shoots and the other sends truce, the shooter wins. If both shoot, all currently dead players win, both shooters lose.
FAQ:

A: There is no Informed Minority Faction or Uninformed Majority Faction built directly into the game. There is no talking outside the game thread. The thread will not be locked during the night either. This game has been approved to be run in the mish mash forum since its not really mafia.

Q: If 3 people are live, I have two role blocks, X has two role blocks, and Z has two role blocks, what happens?
A: The 3 of you share the win.

Q: If 3 people are live, I have two role blocks, X has two role blocks, and Z has one role block, what happens?
A: You and X go to two player end game. Z will lose unless You and X betray each other in two player end game

Q: If 3 people are live, I have two role blocks, X has one role block, and Z has one role block, what happens?
A: You go to end game by yourself, which means you win it all.

I still think the protect based setup is the better setup for the reasons I gave earlier but I will still give this roleblock based setup a try late june or sometime in july.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”