This thread is a democracy. GAME OVER! TOWN WINS?

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

This thread is a democracy. GAME OVER! TOWN WINS?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:13 pm

Post by Porkens »

Right now I am the only one here and I have the only vote.
Last edited by Porkens on Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Location: With the Flying Pumpkin That Shoots Laser Beams Out Of It's Ass

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:31 am

Post by Inferno390 »

I move we wait to exile people until we have at least 10 registered voters.
"Do I have permission to....refute some of the bs that Inferno just spewed out?"--TywinL

“Does anyone know if Inferno is prone to going of on huge tangents of twisted logic regarding basically alignment neutral posting? Asking for a friend ...”—MagnaofIllusion

Inferno390 GTKAS

Mafiascum Moderator Society
Agent Sparkles
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:26 am

Post by Agent Sparkles »

I think we should establish a constitution.
"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." -Oscar Levant
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:30 am

Post by Inferno390 »

You mean like a democratic republic?
I’m down for that.
VOTE: Ye for Constitution
"Do I have permission to....refute some of the bs that Inferno just spewed out?"--TywinL

“Does anyone know if Inferno is prone to going of on huge tangents of twisted logic regarding basically alignment neutral posting? Asking for a friend ...”—MagnaofIllusion

Inferno390 GTKAS

Agent Sparkles
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:35 am

Post by Agent Sparkles »

Well you can't just vote yes for a constitution, we have to actually have one first!
"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." -Oscar Levant
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:38 am

Post by Ircher »

So, is this game like nomic in a way but without a ruleset?
Links: User Page | GTKAS | Ratings
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [In Signups: 6/9]
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:05 am

Post by NotAJumbleOfNumbers »

It’s a Pure Nomic.
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:25 am

Post by Porkens »

In post 2, Agent Sparkles wrote:I think we should establish a constitution.
Nah I don't think we need one, why would we?
Porkens
Porkens
Survivor
Porkens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:26 am

Post by Porkens »

In post 1, Inferno390 wrote:I move we wait to exile people until we have at least 10 registered voters.
Sounds good!

Registered voters: inferno, porkens (override)
Agent Sparkles
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:41 am

Post by Agent Sparkles »

/register
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:46 am

Post by Inferno390 »

Gonna start working on the basis for a constitutional charter so people kind of understand wtf is going on here.

Inferno390 GTKAS

Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:47 am

Post by Ircher »

/register

what's this override thingy?
2 718281828459
2 718281828459
Goon
2 718281828459
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:48 am

Post by 2 718281828459 »

Proposal 1: All voting that has more than two options shall use the Borda Count system.

HEAL: 1
Retired Account
. I have no replacement.

After 2 years (almost exactly!) of inactivity I am giving MafiaScum a second chance...

Nah. I'm gone. Again.
Agent Sparkles
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Agent Sparkles
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:12 am

Post by Agent Sparkles »

In post 12, 2 718281828459 wrote:
Proposal 1: All voting that has more than two options shall use the Borda Count system.

HEAL: 1
I propose a modification to this.

All voting that has more than two options shall use the Borda Count system
unless
otherwise specified by the one making the proposal.
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:20 am

Post by Inferno390 »

Okay, this is what I have so far. It deals with who can vote and how voting works:

Spoiler: Mafiascum Constitution
We, the people of Mafiascum, in order to form a more perfect harmony, have come together to unify under one banner of democracy so that we may achieve a brotherhood among each other. Therewith, the following document records the rights of the people forementioned so that no man may come forward to tyrannize this establishment.

Clause 1: All members of this union, afterwith referred to as “the people” here, retain their right to discuss, deliberate, and vote on all matters of the state. The people is not required to exercise these rights, but is highly encouraged to do so. THIS CLAUSE FOREWITH AND EVER MORE MY NOT BE SUBJECT TO ANY ALTERATION OR BE REMOVED FROM THIS CONSTITUTION.

Clause 2: All matters concerning the state must be brought before the people to be held before a mass vote. If any matter garners enough support to take the votes of at least half of the people, it passes into effect and be added to this document as deemed proper, as either a new clause or an addition or deletion of an existing clause (unless given circumstances would cause a different outcome, as will be described below)

I would like to add some sort of clause that adds a president like role that can veto stuff and/or a senate that has more sway, but they can be overrides by a certain percentage of votes from the people and have really frequent turnover. That way you can’t just pass any random shit. And then we’d have some other slammer positions that are just ther to streamline things, like one person in charge of rostering who’s part of the state for example. Thoughts?

Inferno390 GTKAS

Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:21 am

Post by Inferno390 »

Also, what is the Borda Count System?

Inferno390 GTKAS

Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:24 am

Post by Ircher »

Say we have 3 options A B C.

In Borda count, you assign a preference to each option. Say you choose this order:
1. C
2. A
3. B

Borda then assigns point values based on position. For instance, here, C may get 3 points, A gets 2 points, and B gets 1 point.

This process is repeated for each voter, and whichever item has the most points wins at the end.
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:25 am

Post by Inferno390 »

Nvm, just look looked it up. If we’re going to do that tho, we need to specify more clearly when it can be used and what version of the system we are using. Because there are apparently several ways of doing it.

P-edit: Thanks Ircher!

Inferno390 GTKAS

Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:26 am

Post by Ircher »

Yay Constitution
Inferno390
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Inferno390
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:30 am

Post by Inferno390 »

Note that I’m not intending for the constitution to go straight into effect rn, I want to discuss it and iron out any flaws before we put it to work. We’ll probably add a few more clauses before that point as well.

Inferno390 GTKAS

James Brafin
James Brafin
Goon
James Brafin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:43 am

Post by James Brafin »

/register
I move to add a clause that adds a president to the constitution. This president would have votes count double, but you cannot be president two weeks in a row.
A new R2D game is in signups! Running Alpha v1.3 Link here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=80343
Get to know a handsome potato: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=76837
Making the world more educated, one uneducated person at a time.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:24 pm

Post by Ircher »

Some questions for the constitution....

How exactly are we defining "the people" here? Are we referring just to the people that posted in this thread (probably a good idea), or to mafiascum's userbase as a whole (which is being implied by the current wording)?
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:26 pm

Post by Ircher »

In post 0, Porkens wrote:Right now I am the only one here and I have the only vote.
In post 1, Inferno390 wrote:I move we wait to exile people until we have at least 10 registered voters.
*Ahem* Where did my post go? It's quite obvious it got deleted. I call this an abuse of power and a breach of the democracy implied by this thread's title.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:27 pm

Post by Ircher »

Another question about the constitution:

What punishment is there for those who decide to purposefully not abide by the rules and regulations laid out in the constitution?
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:12 pm

Post by Ircher »

Okay, here's my draft for a constitution that is loosely based upon (with some wording being directly copied) Inferno's version.

Mafiascum Constitution

Preamble:
We, the people of Mafiascum, in order to form a more perfect harmony, have come together to unify under one banner of democracy so that we may achieve a brotherhood among each other. Therewith, the following document records the rights of the people forementioned so that no man may come forward to tyrannize this establishment. From this point onward, all members of this union shall be referred to as "the people".

Section I: The Bill of Rights

The following section lays out and protects certain rights that we, the people, believe to be fundamental to ensuring the survival of democracy as well as a fair and representative government. Unless otherwise noted, none of the following clauses may be overridden, alterned, or removed from this constitution except by the unaminous consent of the people.

Clause 1:
At no time may the people have their right to discuss or deliberate on matters of the state taken away from them. The people are not required to exercise these rights but are heavily encouraged to do so.

Clause 2:
It shall not be withheld from the people the right to actively influence and shape the government and its decisions. Whether by directly voting or by voting for people to represent their interests, the people must always possess some voice in the government.

Clause 3:
Should this constitution be approved and ratified by the people, it is expected that the people will abide by the rules laid out in this constitution. Willful violations of this constitution can result in any punishment deemed appropriate by the people (or their representatives), including expulsion from this thread and this government.

Clause 4:
No individual is above this constitution regardless of their position or title.

Section II: The Government

This section lays out the workings of this government.

Part A: The Senate

It is inevitable that the need for representatives will arise in all but the smallest of governments. It is for this reason that the Senate exists; it exists not to take power away from the people, but rather to represent the people while keeping the government manageable.

Clause 1:
There shall be a number of senators equal to the number of players in this thread divided by three (rounded down).

Clause 2:
Each senator shall be elected by direct vote from the people using the Borda Count voting system (with 1st = X, 2nd = X - 1, ..., Nth = 1 vote). There are no districts; the candidates with the most votes shall be senators.

Clause 3:
All senators shall serve 3 days terms. Senators may not serve consecutive terms.

Clause 4:
The first election shall be held within 2 days of this constitution being ratified.

Clause 5:
Once elected, the Senate shall be the people's representatives on any and all issues. In other words, they possess all voting power on all matters except as regulated below (and in elections for senators).

Clause 6:
Should the people be dissatisfied with a decision made by their elected senators, they may call for a vote from all of the people. Should at least two-thirds (rounded up) of the people agree to override the Senate's decision, the decision shall be overridden by the will of the people.

Clause 7:
As described in the next part, the President may veto any and all decisions made by the Senate unless otherwise noted.

Clause 8:
Any and all matters passed by the Senate shall be referred to as a "bill" until it becomes a law or otherwise makes its way into this constitution.

Part B: The President

A good government is founded on the principles of checks and balances. To ensure that such a system is in place, the position of the President has been found.

Clause 1:
The President, like any other position, shall be elected by direct vote from the people. The candidate with a plurality of votes shall become president. If there is a tie, it shall be first broken in favor of the former president (should they run again) and second by a revote among the tied candidates. If a tie still exists after this revote, the former president shall decide the new president among the tied candidates.

Clause 2:
The President shall serve a 7 day term.

Clause 3:
The President is not limited in the number of terms they may serve; so long as they continue to be re-elected, an individual may be president indefinitely. That said, an individual may not hold both the position of Senator and the position of the President at the same time.

Clause 4:
Within 24 hours of the approval of a bill by the Senate, the president may choose whether to accept the bill (thereby making it a law or amendment to this constitution) or to veto the bill. Vetoing a bill kills it.

Clause 5:
Should the President veto the bill, the Senate may (by two-thirds vote (rounded up)) override the veto. This decision in turn may be overturned by the people as specified in part A of this section.

Section III: The Amendment Process

It is important that this constitution be resistant to change so as to not undo the previous work of several pages simply by a few people's whims. This section outlines the method in which this constitution can be amended.

Clause 1:
At no time may a law or amendment be made that directly conflicts with any clause of the Bill of Rights (see section I). If such a law or amendment is passed, it shall be ignored.

Clause 2:
In order to amend this constitution, the people must directly will it. Any and all amendments to this constitution shall not be determined by the Senate but shall be directly voted upon by the people. A simple majority is required to add, subtract, or change any part of this constitution.

Clause 3:
Laws are not amendments. Laws govern the page-to-page runnings of this government and are secondary to this constitution. In any case where there is a conflict between a law and this constitution, this constitution shall override the parts of the law where the conflict exists.

Clause 4:
Amendments either a) add positions to the government b) change the way current positions in the government run (as specified in this constitution) c) remove positions from the government or d) the method by which this constitution is amended. All other bills that are passed are considered laws.

Clause 5:
At no time shall an amendment be made to this constitution that makes it impossible to further amend this constitution.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”