Netrunner Introduction Tournament (v2)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
MTD
MTD
Mafia Scum
MTD
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Netrunner Introduction Tournament (v2)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:14 am

Post by MTD »

Android:Netrunner is an LCG (living card game) which was being published by FFG until 2018 and has since been continued by the community, set in a cyberpunk theme.
It's an assymmetrical two player game where a hacker (the runner) tries to outsmart a big business (the corp) and get away with their dirty plans, while the corp tries to keep the runner out and carry out said plans.

As it is, there's a nice community online and there's even a free browser implemented version of the game where they come together.
Apart from the rules, which are unreadable and makes the game seem way more complex than it is, the barrier for entry to this game is as low as it's ever been.
The online version keeps track of most stuff for you, and after a single game you'll understand what the rules were unsuccesfully trying to explain to you.
Not saying you shouldn't read the rules, but one readthrough is probably enough, then you should try it out :)

Now the complete cardpool is rather sizable, and although it's not as bad as it looks on first sight, it could be intimidating.
It's not as bad as it looks, because runner and corp cards are subdivided into factions. When building a deck, you'll largely use neutral cards and cards from the faction you chose. There are 4 types of corp, and (largely) 3 types of runner, so in every case you'll be looking at less than half of the card pool when you've found a runner or corp you want to play with.
But this being a beginner tournament, we will limit the cardpool to a few sets.
These will be the current core set (2019 System Core) and the first four "Big Box" Expansion Sets (Creation & Control, Honor & Profit, Order & Chaos and Data & Destiny).
Each of the big boxes focuses on one Corp faction and (mostly) one runner faction. The exception to this is Data & Destiny, where instead of adding runner cards for one of the existing factions, 3 new "Mini-factions" were introduced, each with their own cards.
This means that for each of your decks, most of the cards will come from the Core set and a single Big Box. That said you should definitely look at the cards in the other boxes too, especially Creation & Control has some important neutral ones.

Some helpful links and resources:
For one, I do not advise using the jinteki.net deckbuilder. Netrunnerdb's has a neat search function which also with a couple of clicks lets you limit it to the card pool we are using (to do this, click the "collection" tab in the deckbuilding window). After that, all that's needed to be done is to get the text-list of cards from it, and copy that into jinteki's deckbuilder.
Netrunnerdb also has peoples opinions and rule clarifications about individual cards. The decks shared there are mostly for the full cardpool, however you should be able to find some that are System Core 2019 only (often called Core Experience), which might be helpful if you are looking for a startpoint for deckbuilding.
For older examples of decks, stimhack.com kept track of tournament winning games, and otherwise this site's forum features as the community hub anyway.
The link you probably won't need initially, but should you ever be unable to figure out a certain cards interaction, is project ancur's which keeps card clarifications and rules.

Catch me in sitechat/discord (or post here) if there's anything you want to ask!

Organisational things:
Signups will stay open for at least a few days, we'll just start when we have a few people.
I will decide on a tournament format later, depending on the amount of players we get (Swiss would be easy for everyone to keep track of and also makes it easy to deal with people dropping out, so that would be my preference, but we'll see).
In each match the two players will play 2 games on jinteki.net, each player will play corp once and runner once.
Therefore every participant will need to make 2 decks: one corp, one runner.
Since this is supposed to mostly be a learning experience, you do not have to provide decklists (and are allowed to switch cards between matches if you find that things don't work out as expected). It would be nice if you would keep to the same IDs throughout, though.
If i am around I will try to spectate your matches, but there is almost no chance that i can catch all of them, so please report results in thread.
-OP and idea stolen from mykonion with some edits

/in:
panthaleon
popsofctown
McMenno
flipforty
Last edited by MTD on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
still the same old MTD
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:21 am

Post by panthaleon »

/IN
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:21 am

Post by the worst »

egoquack
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:24 am

Post by panthaleon »

This game is dank af highly recommend
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:28 am

Post by Alisae »

not to take away from mtd's tournament, but if hosted an older format yugioh tournament (2005/2004ish) would people want to play in that?
its yugioh in its simplest form.
GTKAS
| here.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:23 pm

Post by popsofctown »

/in ig
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:08 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Idk why you're saying the barrier to entry as low as ever jinteki.net is pretty old and the carpool is really big now
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
MTD
MTD
Mafia Scum
MTD
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Post by MTD »

Yea might be a line i should have changed. To be fair it isnt like it is false either, though, it just hasn't really changed from 3 years ago. The cardpool for Standard is not really bigger now tgan it was then because of rotation.
still the same old MTD
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:04 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 7, MTD wrote:Yea might be a line i should have changed. To be fair it isnt like it is false either, though, it just hasn't really changed from 3 years ago. The cardpool for Standard is not really bigger now tgan it was then because of rotation.
Yes, you said "ever", not "3 years ago". I'd rather easily and quickly believe that it could be the best time to get into the game in the last couple of years. But if you go back to when the game was released and had just a few expansions that was the best time to try ever ever ever, because there were fewer cards to learn. And your mimicking a similar environment with the ruleset, which is neat.
In post 0, MTD wrote: This means that for each of your decks, most of the cards will come from the Core set and a single Big Box.
Creation and Control was so early in the game's history that the publishers needed to cram the big box's runner neutral slots with very powerful cards that were not really specific to Shapers (in fact, Dirty Laundry is the least shapery card ever and Same Old Thing intersects Anarch and Criminal themes). When I started out in the game people made sure to point this out to me. Your statement is technically correct but I worry it's misleading in a bad way, it could be easy to look at the neutrals in the other boxes and see how they are niche and perhaps mostly beneficial to the Big Box's faction, but C&C's neutrals (and to some extent the offcolor splashes available) are kind of like "lost core set cards" and newbies will have funner decks if they pay attention to this, Daily Casts decks will be much funner to play than decks that run poor.

I hope at least 1 person wants to try to learn Netrunner. It's a crazy cool game, and even if you didn't like it its unique gameplay makes for a neat thought exercise to learn it for the first time.
The way panth inn'ed I presume he's already familiar with the game.
"Well, I..."
MTD
MTD
Mafia Scum
MTD
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:19 pm

Post by MTD »

In post 8, popsofctown wrote:
In post 7, MTD wrote:Yea might be a line i should have changed. To be fair it isnt like it is false either, though, it just hasn't really changed from 3 years ago. The cardpool for Standard is not really bigger now tgan it was then because of rotation.
Yes, you said "ever", not "3 years ago". I'd rather easily and quickly believe that it could be the best time to get into the game in the last couple of years. But if you go back to when the game was released and had just a few expansions that was the best time to try ever ever ever, because there were fewer cards to learn. And your mimicking a similar environment with the ruleset, which is neat.
I meant more as a "you could still call it the best time ever, as you could 3 years ago" as that was a line from myko i copied thinking "i guess that is still true". The relevant cardpool hasn't changed much in size since then (new cards came in, some old cards rotated out) and myko mainly meant it with jinteki being around (as opposed to OCTGN) which it hadn't been for that long at that point i think? If we are talking getting into the game by physically acquiring cards/ playing with people that have them IRL, i agree. Jinteki also certainly isn't news anymore so i probably should just have left the comment out :shifty: .
In post 0, MTD wrote: This means that for each of your decks, most of the cards will come from the Core set and a single Big Box.
Creation and Control was so early in the game's history that the publishers needed to cram the big box's runner neutral slots with very powerful cards that were not really specific to Shapers (in fact, Dirty Laundry is the least shapery card ever and Same Old Thing intersects Anarch and Criminal themes). When I started out in the game people made sure to point this out to me. Your statement is technically correct but I worry it's misleading in a bad way, it could be easy to look at the neutrals in the other boxes and see how they are niche and perhaps mostly beneficial to the Big Box's faction, but C&C's neutrals (and to some extent the offcolor splashes available) are kind of like "lost core set cards" and newbies will have funner decks if they pay attention to this, Daily Casts decks will be much funner to play than decks that run poor.
this is a very good point, i'll edit it a bit for clarity
I hope at least 1 person wants to try to learn Netrunner. It's a crazy cool game, and even if you didn't like it its unique gameplay makes for a neat thought exercise to learn it for the first time.
The way panth inn'ed I presume he's already familiar with the game.
I hope so too, and yes, pant knows the game.
still the same old MTD
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:35 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Ah, that story makes sense. Yes, jinteki.net was a great change for playing the game. Even if you choose to buy a physical collection complementing that with some digital jinteki is very helpful and makes the game easier to pick up.
"Well, I..."
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:33 am

Post by McMenno »

/my family is being held hostage
mafiascum is on life support
flipforty
flipforty
Watcher
flipforty
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:05 am

Post by flipforty »

I'd like to join as well!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:46 am

Post by popsofctown »

MTD maybe advertise with a post in the MtG thread?
"Well, I..."
MTD
MTD
Mafia Scum
MTD
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:05 am

Post by MTD »

I think i'll leave this open until some time on friday, then we'll just start, 4 people should be fine too.
We'd just play round robin then i think.
still the same old MTD
MTD
MTD
Mafia Scum
MTD
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:37 pm

Post by MTD »

OK, let's do this!

First matches:
flipforty vs popsofctown
panthaleon vs McMenno

I'd kind of like to have matches (each) before christmas and do the last one in early january.
So please try to get these done before (expired on 2019-12-20 12:00:00)

Organize times by pm/sitechat/discord/in thread or whatever you prefer. If i'm around when they happen, feel free to ping me so i can spectate :)
It's probably nice that both pairings have someone that already knows the game, so you can help the newbies along a bit if necessary.
i'm always open to questions etc though.
still the same old MTD
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:12 am

Post by panthaleon »

So generally speaking a proper match involves two games so that each player will play one of the sides. Is that what you would like to do here?
Reformed boy - just trying my best

both I and the mod team know where we stand regarding the plight of the palestinian people. proud to be a mafiascum member!
MTD
MTD
Mafia Scum
MTD
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:17 am

Post by MTD »

Yes, that is what i meant here:
In post 0, MTD wrote:In each match the two players will play 2 games on jinteki.net, each player will play corp once and runner once.
still the same old MTD
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:34 am

Post by popsofctown »

Scorched Earth isn't in the core set anymore is this real life
"Well, I..."
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:41 am

Post by panthaleon »

No Scorched Earth and no Jackson Howard definitely has me Concerned about what Corp plan I'm supposed to go with.

both I and the mod team know where we stand regarding the plight of the palestinian people. proud to be a mafiascum member!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:53 am

Post by popsofctown »

Global Food Initiative helps with the problem Jackson Howard originally solved, even if it's not as dramatic as he is.

If you really prefer to stay old school and play with the ability to remove agendas from HQ without installing them, Shannon Claire is in Data & Destiny. She's not so efficient that people generally play with her constructed but I've played with the card some and I think she's
almost
good enough that people would, in the ruleset that allows everything.

You definitely can't flatline with meat damage in this ruleset but you could probably make a good net damage flatline deck.
"Well, I..."
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:58 am

Post by panthaleon »

My favorite Jinteki ID isn't legal, but I will survive. Jinteki Biotech is the most fun ID

popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:19 am

Post by popsofctown »

If your favorite part is the flatline, Contract Killer is in the new core set even though he's originally from boosters. He costs 4 influence so you'd have to play Weyland and pay influence for Snares and net damage Ice, I think.
If you like the entire guesswork package though there's definitely nothing like it in this ruleset.
"Well, I..."
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:22 am

Post by panthaleon »

I am considering just memeing with NBN bullshit too, but the core set is surprisingly meme-lite

Also RIP Geist. I'm going to have to actually learn to run with a normal runner

popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:25 am

Post by popsofctown »

Sync and the sync-themed cards from Data and Destiny are incredibly powerful for a "core set experience" environment. It's a pretty different style from traditional NBN bs though, it doesn't flatline or fast advance, sync is actually incentivized to play glacier.
"Well, I..."

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”