Homebrew Scummer D&D

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Homebrew Scummer D&D

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:23 pm

Post by FakeGod »

I remember long time ago that there used to be a big interest for trying out D&D like systems on this site. I wrote my own homebrew system similar to D&D, and wrote a short campaign using it. I will be playing it with my regular scummer D&D folks as well, but I also wanted to see if there were any interest from you guys.

The campaign will likely last two 3 hour text-only sessions on roll20. The sessions will be held on this and next saturday at time to-be-determined. The draft of the system is viewable on my website: here in the top right tab of "Celerity Lite". You will need to come up with your own characters, using the ruleset I have provided. I encourage communicating with one another in the thread regarding your characters. I will of course be around as much as possible over the week to answer any questions you might have. (And if you discover any errors or typos, please inform me so I can make edits!)

Campaign Introduction:

Barrelsford: Forgotten Mansion

B
arrelsford is a sleepy town that has seen better days. When a silver mine was discovered in the near Boar Mountains, Baron James Armsworth staged the mining operations where he could "float the silver barrels down a ford". Barrelsford was set up as a mining town, but the mine ran dry a few years back, and most of the fortune-seeking folks went elsewhere. The inhabitants now live by logging, farming trapping, and prospecting what they can. The town''s major export is, ironically, barrels. Once in high demand for shipping the mined ore for processing, the barrels themselves are now sold to passing by merchants to pick up goods elsewhere. The town still provides the baron with a trickle of tax money, and the baron has honored his commitment to the townsfolk by maintaining a local militia.

Militia Captain Melanie Carver is cool-headed as they come and no slouch in a fight, but a string of recent disappearances in the caravan routes near the town has left her stumped. It is impossible for such a large-scale kidnapping operation to continue without a base of operations, and such a place simply did not exist in the town limits as far as she can make out. She did not have the manpower to scour the miles of uncivilized, dense woods around the town for a possible bandit camp, and as such, finally turned to outside help: the adventurers.

Maybe you were hired because you are known to be very good at this sort of job, or maybe your enthusiasm or righteousness has convinced the captain. Perhaps you are working as security for one of the caravan companies that were hit, or one of your loved ones has gone missing in these woods. Whatever the reason might be, you have been hired by Captain Carver to track down a possible base of operations in the miles wide forested area around Barrelsford. The game starts with your party out and about on the quest when you approach a woodcutters's camp...
My favorite site mod is Zor Tester.
I have Brandi's autograph! I bet you're jealous.
NoPowerOverMe
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:33 pm

Post by NoPowerOverMe »

/in
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:35 pm

Post by Formerfish »

/in
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:45 pm

Post by FakeGod »

Due to lack of interest, I will be cancelling the session.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:14 pm

Post by Equinox »

:(
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:06 pm

Post by Espeonage »

I'm overgamed atm. I'm in two weekly 5e's and a weekly Pathfinder.
Don't @ me.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:46 pm

Post by FakeGod »

Folks, the campaign was a success! I had a lot of fun with multiple groups, and I got a lot of feedback on my homebrew system. And since, I have written another small campaign, this time aimed at testing many non-combat aspects of my homebrew system. There is no big overarching main quest, but rather multiple mini-side quests. I will be playing it with my regular scummer D&D folks as well, but I also wanted to see if there were any interest from you guys.

The campaign will likely last two 3 hour text-only sessions on roll20. The sessions will be held on this and next saturday at time to-be-determined. The draft of the system is viewable on my website: here in the top right tab of "Celerity Lite". You will need to come up with your own characters, using the ruleset I have provided. I encourage communicating with one another in the thread regarding your characters. I will of course be around as much as possible over the week to answer any questions you might have. (And if you discover any errors or typos, please inform me so I can make edits!)

Campaign Introduction:

Brackendeep, City of Monsters

C
reatures live everywhere, and the deep bowels of the earth is no exception. In the Deep Down, hundreds of miles below the surface world, lies the city of Brackendeep. It originally started as a mining colony for a long forgotten human empire, called the Dusthedge. It is well known that the empire mined valuable weather crystals from this colony, to reclaim the land from the deserts and ferocious sandstorms. No one is sure what the last days of this empire looked like, but the historians do agree that a torrent of biblical proportions was responsible for putting the end to this dynasty. Many theories attempt to explain the phenomenon: perhaps a god was angered that the mortals were encroaching on lands they weren't welcome in, or maybe the overuse of the weather crystals had unknown but dire consequences. No one knows for sure, but the mining colony deep below was not touched by the flood.

Humans easily adapt and excel in new environments, and the mining colony continued to grow and expand into a full-fledged city. It became a busy marketplace for underground denizens, lucrative enough to draw the hungry attention of nearby monstrous factions. Before long, they attacked, and the city could not hold long against the monsters. Its cowardly governor ordered the knights to abandon the citizens and retreat deep into the heavily fortified barracks. Many knights were outraged at this command, and evacuated all civilians they could reach to the Temple of Demia, desperately hoping that the goddess Demia would intervene on behalf of so many innocents.

And the goddess did answer. She sent Raphmiel, one of her archangels, to protect those at the temple. For days on end, Raphmiel threw back the assaults on the temple ground, long after the barracks fell and the governor was gutted in the streets. Monsters eventually grew tired, and offered a truce, promising to leave the city and its merchants in peace for a guarantee that the monsters will always be welcome at the markets. And since then, under the attentive eyes of its angelic guardian, the city prospered.

Centuries of watching the mortals made the archangel's mind wonder: was she doing the right thing? It is definitely good to protect the weak and show mercy, but isn't it unfair to the strong? The concept of justice demanded a fair competition from all beings involved, without intervention from a higher being. And finally, one day, she vanished, vowing to return to her post after she finds a satisfying answer. Power struggle almost immediately erupted across the city to fill the vacuum, and the city now remains in uneasy ceasefire.

Maybe you are an interplanar traveler, and Brackendeep happened to be your next destination. Perhaps you are originally from the surface world, who decided voluntarily (or involuntarily) take a portal just to see where it goes, only to end up in the city. Perhaps you have been a citizen of the city all of your life, and you wanted stop (or take advantage of) the chaos. Perhaps you are simply a guard working for a merchant caravan going through the city, or a slave who is hoping to lose your captors in the mayhem of the city. Either way, you WILL make a difference through your actions as you wearily step across the graffiti and smoke-filled town square, into the inn,
Magnificent X
, for a well-deserved rest...
Wooper
Wooper
Unaware
Wooper
Unaware
Unaware

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:40 pm

Post by Wooper »

i am thoroughly intrigued, but also live on the moon and have a very upside-down schedule
this is half-in, half-egopost
maxwell
maxwell
Mafia Scum
maxwell
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:28 pm

Post by maxwell »

I'll /in for this. Been playing online D&D for something like 15 years now, but haven't been able to to find a steady game for a while.
NoPowerOverMe
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:15 pm

Post by NoPowerOverMe »

/in, we just need a few more.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:25 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

i might
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:13 am

Post by brassherald »

Do you have a definite time of day for the Roll20 sessions?
I've only made one good post, and don't you dare accuse me of doing it again.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:24 am

Post by FakeGod »

Noon est on Saturdays
NoPowerOverMe
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
NoPowerOverMe
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:28 am

Post by NoPowerOverMe »

A little later might be better for me but I could probably do noon.
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:30 am

Post by brassherald »

I'm just going to say good luck sorry I can't join since I do love D&D.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:44 am

Post by FakeGod »

FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:59 pm

Post by FakeGod »

I'm hoping to get at least 4 people in the party, and if we don't have that by tomorrow, I'll cancel this party.

Those of you who are on the fence, it's time to throw your hat in!
Wooper
Wooper
Unaware
Wooper
Unaware
Unaware

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:12 pm

Post by Wooper »

Noon est is v early in the morning for me so i am afraid i will be asleep :oops:
brassherald
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
brassherald
he/him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:00 am

Post by brassherald »

In post 17, Wooper wrote:Noon est is v early in the morning for me so i am afraid i will be asleep :oops:
Actually opposite problem for me, I'll likely be playing tennis at that point, unless it is raining in NY.
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:08 pm

Post by FakeGod »

Another time then!
FakeGod
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
FakeGod
Seven-Colored Puppeteer
Seven-Colored Puppeteer

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:17 am

Post by FakeGod »

What do you mean?
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:33 am

Post by lilith2013 »

I think that’s a spambot, reporting