WALRUS (congrats to the winners / go join heltris walrus)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:26 am

Post by schadd_ »

In post 222, shaft.ed wrote:
Spoiler: brigade schadd
fixt it also fixt the internal rankdown that i have in my spreadsheet.
In post 223, shaft.ed wrote:so if me and dav had submitted the same song, but with different links, would you have to get the links correct?
yes
In post 224, tris wrote:
In post 219, schadd_ wrote:
In post 217, Ariel wrote:
Spoiler: how well can schadd guess who submitted the song?, pt. 2
there was no way i was getting on the board with regards to chickadee in that round bc the song which raised the eternal question of "is this tris or cheeto" (from a band that i know both of them like) was secretly hers
i must have forgotten that i know that band
ummm hmm. maybe i'm thinking of some kind of other person
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: shaft.ed

Chickadee
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Chickadee
Slightly Sketchy
Slightly Sketchy

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:40 pm

Post by Chickadee »

I remain an enigma
Instagram: BoneSpellArts

"Yo I'm so good at anime girls" - pj
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: IT/ITS
Location: Everett-Wheeler Branch Q-5992-CLF3, Third Mouth of the Worm

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:24 pm

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

That was definitely one not meant to slip past you. That song was one I literally heard less than 30 minutes before I sent my thing along your way, which I did minutes before my sleep meds knocked me flat on my ass for the night, and I never reconsidered it -- never even doublechecked it. So by the time you got to it I was thinking to myself: "this score is gonna be absolute dogshit".

So you surprised me /anyway/.
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:45 pm

Post by hellbooks »

In post 218, schadd_ wrote:strong equity for being one of the many mushshagana songs that minjae saves instantly.
correct. I was telling schadd today that if I were the judge I think mushshagana would be in a strong lead
why does your ferret thing have a waterfall?
your guess is as good as mine
Ariel
Ariel
none please
edited 449 times in total
Ariel
none please
Pronoun: none please

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:00 pm

Post by Ariel »

there was no way i was getting on the board with regards to chickadee in that round bc the song which raised the eternal question of "is this tris or cheeto" (from a band that i know both of them like) was secretly hers
no one knows the chickadee songs, not even chickadee herself. anyway I would also like to point out that >50% overall accuracy is pretty good.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:35 pm

Post by tris »

In post 225, schadd_ wrote:
In post 224, tris wrote:
i must have forgotten that i know that band
ummm hmm. maybe i'm thinking of some kind of other person
just fixed this situation
here's what it says
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 2:27 am

Post by schadd_ »

reveal starting shortly !!
free darius mccollum

shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 2:38 am

Post by shaft.ed »

I'm supposed to be in a conference all weekend, but the website is down
so I hope I can drop in for my last place performance
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 4:48 am

Post by schadd_ »

:cat2:
Spoiler: 1st bace pj

goodfit: 5.6 [4.3 wd/5]
catfit: 2.7
newfit: 0.7
whofit: chevy
beefedit: P !!
1st place: 2.0

tragically i was forced to talk myself down from an initial catfit 3 judgement here. in particular a lot of the first minutes form, like, this perfectly refined take on the annoyingness of the pop punk sound, just thrusting the annoying vocalist to the forefront. and it sort of floated between that and a classic radio pop thingy. like i was just impressed at its ability to cram a bunch of key cat 2 traits into a short timespan. also after the first couple minutes of my pivotal first listening, i got out of the shower and sort of walked away from my speaker so i didn't catch the last minute so well. but it starts to get really epic noisy at that moment and i am forced to recognize the extent to which anything that has "noise" as a descriptor has an incredibly reliable track record for me. so i have to bring you down from 3 there.

i got so excited realizing that this was the 100 gecs one. i listened to the un-remixed album and found it a little bit interesting, and the hyperpop sound in general has a lot of highs for me. but this one wasn't really like that, to my surprise, rather enlisting some rando vocalists (fallout boy???? i thought they would have all died of radiation poisoning or whatever) and really honing in on an edgy and abrasive (and rather unedited) sound. the fun energy is what triumphs here. also that last minute is really good.

Spoiler: 2nd bace sirius9121

goodfit: 5.2 [4.1/5]
catfit: 3
newfit: 0.8
whofit: sirius
beefedit: sirius -0.1
is this one on spotify: yes!!!! https://open.spotify.com/track/0HODyPjr ... kvNHInQXqw
2nd place: 1.5

ignoring the fact that it would be a war crime to give anything other than a 3 to the sirius entry in this one, between the sound of the vocalist and the general epic sound profile i think it easily gets there. but as i determined with the other song by this artist, the vocalist actually goes off and the energy is fun as fuck. in fact this one actually doesn't perform as well as the other one bc it doesn't go hard enough, like i feel like that one spoiled me as far as the sheer amount of stuff that happens moment to moment and this one feels kind of scant in spite of how busy it actually is. but it's still fun. i wonder what would be the motivating factor for this song in particular going to this cat - maybe the video has the anime guy singing along with the song whereas the other ones didnt

Spoiler: 3rd bace muschaghagan

goodfit: 5.0 [4/5]
catfit: 2.6
whofit: musha
beefedit: musha -0.1
3rd place: 1.0

out of the three metal thingys this has to be the mushshagana one. like i can totally imagine her gleefully touting this as an annoying man vocalist, and being totally correct (and also the one take thing sounds like something she would value. its neat !!!). but he's also so funnnnnnn. i'm imagining this person being not british and occasionally just saying things in a british voice to sound all weird and snooty. lol. this person floats on the edge of being intolerable like sooo often but then there's something incredibly charming about the horrible warping and wefting of the voice to go like "this is heresoie heresoie" and whatever, its so theatrical. somebody is wailing on the drums for sure.

Spoiler: 4th bace chatory

goodfit: 5.0 [4.0/5]
catfit: 2.4
whofit: binjae?????
beefedit: BLEATORY!

i'm aware of a considerable mafiascum unicorns-liking contingent, in particular i remember cheetory6 and xyzzy both citing it as a favorite. i will not be guessing either of those users here although i'm totally ready to be bitten for that choice. there's a clear resemblance to carsie and the headrests for me here, and otherwise it has the epic mannish indie rock stench, some stuff that would normally signal a kind of boring project for me. i am finding a bit to chew on here, though. a handful of things pepper up the experience enough that it activates the imagination, the odd but confident pronunciations of stuff like "i'd hope the salt belouwwwe" and the extra audible noise of the vocalist breathing and whatever, and the really quiet cymbals, among other things. feels like they are committed to being meaningfully idiosyncratic in a way thats interesting.

Spoiler: 5th place chrevve

goodfit: 4.6 [3.8/5]
catfit: 2.8
whofit: cheetory6 ??
beefedit: chevy !!

it seems like multiple people have managed to telepathically and accurately determine a chorus of "wha-a-a-a-ohhhh, wha-a-a-a-ohhh" as a symptom of music i generally do not like. also yes this vocalist is really something to behold - him belting out "you were looking so stoned" makes me wanna go beughalgh. it kind of made me wonder if i was being too indulgent, like i'm looking for annoying characteristics of the vocalist so that i can assign it points, and also conflating a theoretically annoying vocalist with an actually annoying vocaist. but also the vocalist is like, annoying. i gave their 2019 album a shot and just quickly put it down on that basis. what really helps this song out is a contagious fun and mobile feeling that mostly kicks in when it starts to feel more like a group effort, especially when the messy guitar tone is put to good use. it definitely punishes me whenever i pay too much attention to the lead vocalist.

Spoiler: 6th place clackadee

goodfit: 6.0 [4.5/5]
catfit: 0.9
provisional mystery catfit points: 0.3
whofit: ariel????????
beefedit: chickadoe !

this song is goooooood though. on the verge of tears for 3 reasons:
  • the song is just like that. its like really good. like a pop distillation of the modern loving-honesty thing, and it just works really well for me. the way it repeats, it sort of focuses in on the simple sound of the spoken phrase. also there's little descending fluttery pieces of vocal harmony which feels like mist
  • the catfit is like crushing here. it's a radioey sort of pop music, which is a conundrum for me because, like, sometimes i like radio pop and sometimes i don't and its obviously going to be down to my own arbitrary taste but i always come up with ways to make it sound like there's some grand artistic narrative which dictates how Good the music is to me. which is all to say, it would occur to me to give this low catfit points because i like it, which isn't good enough. but also like, it kind of has the sort of indie-girl-pop sound a la clairo or whatever, which is a sort of thing that i definitely do like frequently. but then somebody submitted this to me thinking that i don't..... crying face emogies broken heart emogies.... but then they also thought that i would like this song which i do.... bestie emogies....
  • this song has high equity for coming from either ariel or georgebailey and it also has high equity for barely missing the podium which would be HEARTBEAKING....... although i also feel like this might be pj in which case hahaha boiiieeee
  • ok like my overwhelming judgement is that the catfit isn't really there but i cant shake this feeling that there's like something faintly alien about this to me. idk. something about the way the vocalist slurs through a bunch of the words. hence the 0.3. just feels like something about that ought to earn points

Spoiler: 7th bace ariel

goodfit: 4.2 [3.6/5]
catfit: 2
provisional catfit points based on the nature of the remix: 0.5
whofit: jun ??
beefedit: ariel

on principle i'm peeved at pop songs getting sent into this cat however this sounds like the chainsmokers to me which paves the way for a solid 2. i wanna say that i felt like i was enjoying it at a >4/5 level when i listened to it in the shower a few days ago. but, well, i'm not in the shower right now unfortunately. there's a fair bit to like (i think there's a tambourine sound ? that keeps signalling beat 4 which is good) but its also a little bit shallow - the melody for the cello segment feels like it's subsisting on the power of persuasion and isn't actually all that entertaining

Spoiler: 8th bace hellbo

catfit: 2.4
newfit: 0.6
whofit: dovstie
beefedit: hellbook!!

xtc is in fact a band that i know and don't mind, which has been true for quite a while actually (my dad likes them a lot). i'd say they're a little bit too artsy and insular to fit in the typical disliked-british-rock cohort that would normally do well for this cat, although as i listened to this song i found that it unrelatedly ends up with a sort of modern pop punk kind of thing? like it kind of sounds like the strokes which are a richly disliked group for me. there's a lot of neat production decisions with this one, i like the code switching with the vocal distortion.

Spoiler: 9th bace davbo

goodfit: 4.2 [3.6/5]
catfit: 2.5
whofit: tris ??????????
beefedit: davsto??????

at moments, the vocalist in particular sounds pretty faithfully like the clash, which is probably the most canonical punk outfit that i usually like. but there's plenty of stuff that's not usually my thing, as well as boatloads of unapologetic britishness ("they shmewt of pubs" at 2:20 demanded that i lock in something high). the construction of the song is solid and the fast hi-hat hits help it move along, but the detail-orientation of the lyrics goes kinda too far as to make it a bit of a slog. kind of feels like it's supposed to feel anthemic in the classic punk sort of way but just doesn't have the snappiness to back it up. i like the section of train sounds. i wouldnt expect this to be tris, i'm just struggling to come up with guesses here in general

post-reveal note: oh wig this is from the 70s. i discounted the idea of it being davsto bc i thought it was from 2018 (and it kind of had the sound of like, modern revival of punk) & because theres just other things that wanted to be davsto

Spoiler: 10th bace trisp

catfit: 1.7
newfit: 0.6
whofit: chickadee ???
beefedit: tris !!

struggled with this one a fair bit. first of all its just gonna be awkward in this cat if i, like, know the artist. i know about this guy. i listened to a couple of the epic self titled albums, i can play solsbury hill on guitar, what have you. i would say i sort of like him, but also i do sort of recognize him as someone that's rather within the annoying-old-british-rock space. painfully, though, i felt that the production of this song felt a lot like kate bush, who i like a lot, and otherwise it's sort of arty in the way that characterizes a lot of my familiar bullshit. it has a good bit of the early-synth pop charm, a lot of fun is being had with all the machinery.

Spoiler: 11th bace n

goodfit: 3.6 [3.3/5]
catfit: 2.5
whofit: is this like N????? who is this????
beefedit: -0.1

this is a type of edgy song contesty metal that i usually wouldnt be that interested in. um, i'm not all that interested in it here. they're saying all this stuff about praying for the sorrow and like, no, i'll pray for the happy thank you very much. oh it's probably prey isn't it. i don't think that makes it better. i'll prey for the happy thank you very much. some of the guitar tone is interesting.

Spoiler: 12th bace jun

goodfit: 2.9 [2.9/5]
catfit: 3
whofit: PJ
beefedit: jun

you got me

Spoiler: 13th bace gorger barlie

goodfit: 4.4 [3.7/5]
catfit: 1.2
whofit: george bailey
beefedit: george bailey aghhh -0.1

there isn't really anything in this that i could see as abrasive to me, just kind of something that i wouldn't really expect to listen to. maybe it would be a sort of gentle metal music, lol. indie metal. it feels expansive in an interesting way, there's a lot of pretty good drums, i think the vocalists are good for the most part, but it's also not really inspiring or attention grabbing to me for much of it. i would call it somewhat pleasant though.

Spoiler: 14th bace sleapton

goodfit: 3.2 [3.1/5]
catfit: 2.1
whofit: sleapykrew
beefedit: slapty k -0.1

sound quality is a killer here. cat fit is kinda goofy since it sort of feels like it's lacking in distinct character in general, also the vocalist sounds like the nine inch nails guy who i definitely like. lol. but its definitely got a resemblance to the sort of video game musicky symphonic metal thing which i usually don't give much mind to. for sure hard to give it a lot of mind here, feels really cheesy.

Spoiler: 15th bace SHAFETEDY!!!!!!!!

goodfit: 3.2 [3.1/5]
catfit: 1.5
newfit: 0.5
whofit: shafty
beefedit: shafty -0.1

the thing about these dudes is that they don't sound like anything to me. it's just like regular music. even the annoying vocalist that they have to offer just kind of sounds like a loaf of damp bread. this is even less of a thing than i remember it being, the song is just waiting to be over. the buzzy guitar that comes in is kind of cool.

i did a lot of the writeups and score choosings kind of late last night. i fixed a lot of errors while revealing this morning (either math errors or like, enjoyment grading errors) and you are welcome to double check your math and also litigate my enjoyment of your song if you wish

added in the lowest-score drop. handful of people are in rather close contention for the top spot here. we'll do the final reveal at 22:30 central time next saturday, in (expired on 2021-05-08 22:30:00)
Last edited by schadd_ on Sat May 01, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 4:52 am

Post by schadd_ »

mario partyas the current last placer, N has the opportunity to steal a grand slam from one of the four players by rolling a d4 in this thread. he has (expired on 2021-05-03 11:00:00) to do so before the ability passes on to sleepy krew
free darius mccollum

tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 4:55 am

Post by tris »

the four players?
here's what it says
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 4:57 am

Post by schadd_ »

whom have a grand slam
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 4:58 am

Post by schadd_ »

ohhhhh theres a really fun thing where it looks like cheeto has 6 grand slams
free darius mccollum

tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 4:58 am

Post by tris »

ohhh!!!!
here's what it says
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 5:00 am

Post by tris »

i, like, read grand slam as being something else
here's what it says
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 5:00 am

Post by Chevre »

is the cat 1 reveal saturday (as the post says) or sunday (as the title says) asking for friend
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 5:02 am

Post by schadd_ »

In post 234, schadd_ wrote:
mario partyas the current last placer, N has the opportunity to steal a grand slam from one of the five players by rolling a d5 in this thread. he has (expired on 2021-05-03 11:00:00) to do so before the ability passes on to sleepy krew
change of plans: its a d5 and if you get a 4 then you steal a grand slam from cheatory's number
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 5:02 am

Post by schadd_ »

In post 240, Chevre wrote:is the cat 1 reveal saturday (as the post says) or sunday (as the title says) asking for friend
saturday as the post says thank you.
free darius mccollum

shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 5:25 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 234, schadd_ wrote:
mario partyas the current last placer, N has the opportunity to steal a grand slam from one of the four players by rolling a d4 in this thread. he has (expired on 2021-05-03 11:00:00) to do so before the ability passes on to sleepy krew
but its all I've got
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 5:26 am

Post by shaft.ed »

wow that #1 sure was...an experience
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 5:30 am

Post by tris »

noone has gotten more than three top 3s
here's what it says
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 5:39 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

no!
my perfect set!
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 5:45 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Also, don't mean to be thread sniping, but was anyone planning on doing a WALRUS after the Grande Finale?
I'd really like to run one but 1) it would have to go on hiatus in June so mayhaps waiting until later would be better and 2) I can't do the community engaging Discordy stuff so it would be total forum engagement. I do think I have mechanisms to take advantage of this though
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 6:07 am

Post by tris »

In post 247, shaft.ed wrote:Also, don't mean to be thread sniping, but was anyone planning on doing a WALRUS after the Grande Finale?
I'd really like to run one but 1) it would have to go on hiatus in June so mayhaps waiting until later would be better and 2) I can't do the community engaging Discordy stuff so it would be total forum engagement. I do think I have mechanisms to take advantage of this though
put one of schadd's pins in that
here's what it says
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: IT/ITS
Location: Everett-Wheeler Branch Q-5992-CLF3, Third Mouth of the Worm

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Sat May 01, 2021 6:43 am

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

Justin as an annoying man vocalist DID NOT even come to mind.

Ready for the real reason?

Tallah is nu metal.

And the one take thing is impressive, but ready for something even MORE impressive about it?

Better than the studio version. Audibly. Without even trying to listen for the differences. That's the only reason I chose it. I'd have picked Murder Seed if I had to use the studio version and wanted to really stick with Tallah, and if I'm being honest I'd have picked Simon Says - Blister instead of any Tallah song if I was limited to studio versions.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also, Justin ABSOLUTELY is from Pennsylvania and does the British voice for the sake of effect. Spot on.

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”