Casual MTGArena Strixhaven draft tournament

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Casual MTGArena Strixhaven draft tournament

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:57 pm

Post by Isis »

Let's do a draft tournament!

Historically, one of the oldest digital mafiascum magic tournaments was a limited tournament for the Ravnica set, which focused on color pairs and a group associated with each pair. The current magic set is a callback to that, on a different plane, so it is a great time to try to doing one of these again.

How to play your matches1. Download MTGArena and make a free account if you're not already on MTGArena (I'm expecting the tournament to fill with people who already play the client some, but if you're really excited about this tournament and start playing the client from when signups begin you should actually be able to participate. It's on phones, even, for what that's worth.
2. Collect enough gold (from playing constructed and doing quests) or gems (from mom's credit card) to play a Strixhaven draft.
3. We can't draft against eachother, the client doesn't support that as of now, so draft with randoms, anytime. Only draft one time, even if you draft a bad deck, honor system. Posting in this thread when you do your draft might be a good idea.
4. After you build your deck, MTGArena has a button that will let you add your deck to you collection so you can play it in friendly matches. Play find the differences with these two pictures to see it.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

5. Save your deck using that button before you play even your first game of the draft event. Before you play any matches of the mafiascum tournament, you can play a few rounds of your draft event and make changes, then reuse that button to save the newest version of your deck, deleting the old one. Once you play your first mafiascum match or after your draft event ends, whichever comes first, stop editing. To the best that I can tell, the client doesn't make it easy to edit the deck without accidentally adding cards from your collection and accidentally cheating, so to simplify things we will disallow mid-event deck editing.
6. Add popsofctown#19967 and the other people who play the tournament as friends. When you and a friend can coordinate a time to play a match in the tournament, use the crossed swords in the topright to challenge eachother (I won't do a screenshot, only half of you need to figure it out.) and select the 40 card deck option. Play best of one, and agree before you start whether to play 1 out of 1 Bo1 or 2 out of 3 Bo1 or 3 out of 5 Bo1. The client lets you choose who goes first, select random for the first game and let the loser choose who plays first moving forward from that game.
7. Post the match outcome in this thread.

Tournament structureThis tournament will use informal modified double elimination, sacrificing some notions of pairness for pace. Anyone can play anyone else who currently has the same record they do. Once that record is X-2, it's no longer possible that they can win the tournament (although they are encouraged to still arrange matches with other people who are X-2!!!!). If it's possible to play someone with the same record who you have not played against before, you need to do that rather than play someone with the same record that you have already played against.

The tournament will be exactly 8 players. If someone stops being active, they will keep "paying" and automatically lose their matches and we will use dice to determine who gets the free win.

Spoiler:
I will put a tracking of the match history here

Signups
  1. Isis
  2. PookyTheMagicalBear
  3. infinity 324
  4. Gammagooey

"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:14 pm

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

/in
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:42 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

/in
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:53 pm

Post by Gammagooey »

/in
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:18 pm

Post by Isis »

I should set some kind of deadline for sufficient interest I guess.

Let's say six players by May 3, aiming for eight
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:21 pm

Post by Gypyx »

grinding coins is hard
bottom text
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:18 am

Post by Micc »

/in
(ping me on discord if I'm slow to respond to PM's)
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat May 08, 2021 9:15 am

Post by Isis »

I'm calling this a bust based on my stated criterion. I think interest was not so low I feel embarrassed, but it was a wrong guess about the ability to run an event.

My local Netrunner group is hosting an online league, that's gonna scratch the same itch for me a lot
"Well, I..."
dsjstr
dsjstr
Mafia Scum
dsjstr
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 1:25 am

Post by dsjstr »

/in

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”