The Grid (Out-Of-Character Thread)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

The Grid (Out-Of-Character Thread)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:31 am

Post by roseheart »

This is The Grid, a forum game where you control a random unit from a number of classic grid games. This is a cross-forum free for all!

The List
Suggestions are welcome, but depending on how familiar I am with it / how much learning is required a game may be delayed, substituted, or denied. (prioritizing boardgames right now)

• Battle Hunter / The Hunters
• Battleship: The Classic Naval Combat Game
• Checkers
• Chess
• Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
• Fire Emblem 7
• Frogger
• Into the Breach
• Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team
• Snake
• XCOM: Enemy Unknown

(Requested/Under review)

• Civilization III
• Go
• Shogi

Hall of Fame
Game 1: ArchimedesWojak (Snake)
Game 2: a1s (Knight) - Accrovideogames (Troubadour)
Game 3: This could be YOU!

How to Play

Unit Sheet:
After signing up you will receive a PM of your character when the match starts.

• HP: If this reaches zero, you are eliminated.
• Move: How far from your current location you can travel. (You can't move diagonally, unless it says otherwise.)
• Initiative. (See Turn Order)
• You may also have additional powers and abilities.

Turn Order:

• Melee Phase
• Move Phase
• Ranged Phase

Each phase, highest initiative goes first. Then this repeats for the next phase. You can participate in multiple phases if your unit is capable of different types of actions.

Note: Your action can't be based on someone else's. So you will need to decide where on the map to target your actions specifically. If you target a unit, you will aim for where they were at the end of last turn.

Note: You can describe the path of movement, otherwise it will favor N>E>S>W.

Note: Anything else left vague about your actions that are not covered by these defaults, will be resolved at random.

Rules
1. If one player is considerably slower at taking their turn than the others, they may be removed or replaced so the others can play at a reasonable pace.
2. Details will be sent to you by pm. Post your actions in a spoiler. DO NOT LOOK at anyone else's spoiler. (There is no rule against changing your move/mind, feel free to do so.)
3. 1 point per turn you end in the goal zone. 2 points for a kill. First to 5 points wins! Ties go into overtime! (Unless a truce)
4. A note about cross-forum play: Please be on your best behavior, not only may the rules of each forum differ, it's good to make a nice impression as you will be representing your forum and others' impression of it. Ok, now back to chopping each others' heads off!

Sign-Ups:
dsjstr
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Last edited by roseheart on Mon May 03, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
dsjstr
dsjstr
Mafia Scum
dsjstr
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:37 pm

Post by dsjstr »

/in
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:21 pm

Post by roseheart »

We got:
2 people from SV https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/t ... oon.89002/
1 from MafiaScum viewtopic.php?f=10&t=86463&p=12731429#p12731429
1 from GameFAQs https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/11 ... s/79433305
and 2 from Bay 12 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=178470.0

...so it will take me awhile to finish that many units. Sign ups will remain open unit I finish.
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:32 pm

Post by NotAJumbleOfNumbers »

/in
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by NotAJumbleOfNumbers »

/request Shogi, Go
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon May 03, 2021 10:19 pm

Post by roseheart »

Changes:

1) Single Attack Limit: You CAN NOT perform a Melee Phase action and a Ranged Phase action in the same turn, unless they say otherwise.

2) Terms:
• Nearby: The 8 tiles that surround the referenced unit or tile.
• Adjacent: The 4 tiles located up, down, left, and right of the referenced unit or tile.

Size:
• "SMALL": Human or smaller
• "BIG": Larger than human
• "MASSIVE": Small building or larger

3) New Mechanic: Hoard Mode
After dying you can PM me and request to spend 1 point to enter hoard mode. You will continue playing as a random antagonist unit: the weakest of 3 rolls. If you get a kill your character is revived.

Champion Unit Information:

Knight
• HP: 1
• Size: "BIG"
• Initiative: 8
• Move: Special (1 in one cardinal direction and 2 in a different one, in either order.)
• Capture: Destroy any unit you end your move on.
• Oath: You can declare 1 other player's unit to be your 'king', adding it to their unit's name. If they would take lethal damage, they instead move 1 away, and your next movement is canceled. If they die, you lose. You cannot break your oath, but they can renounce the title, then you are free.
• Crusade: Must move each turn.
• Heavy Shield: The first damage-based ranged attack received each turn is ignored unless the attacker didn't move for at least 2 turns, or does 7 or more damage.
• Bloody Grasp: If you receive a fatal melee attack, the attacker will be moved to your space.

Valkyrie
• HP: 5
• Size: "BIG"
• Initiative: 8
• Move: 5
• Passive Evasion: Incoming damaged-based attacks with 0% chance of missing now have a 25% chance to miss.
• Inventory: You can hold up to 5 items. Items can be used once. If a weapon misses it wont be depleted.
1) Mend Staff: Use this staff to target yourself or a unit up to 2 spaces away. Heal for 3. Harmful to undead. 25% miss. 25% double healing. 75% use not consumed.
2) Berserk Staff: Use this on a unit up to 4 spaces away. They will be informed that they gain an extra point if they deal damage next turn. 25% miss. 50% use not consumed. Can't be used on an ally. Can't ally a unit after successfully using this spell.
3) Sleep Staff: Use this on a unit up to 2 spaces away. Puts them to sleep for 1 turn. 25% miss. 25% double duration. 50% use not consumed. They cannot talk to other players.
4) None
5) None
• Rescue: You can pick up a friendly 1x1 "SMALL" unit for transport. This unit cannot act until they choose to get off or you set them down. -1 to Move, -3 to Initiative while burdened.
• Resupply: Before battle you can spend the points from your last match to buy items. Items can be discarded to make room. Duplicates are allowed. Points will expire after you close the shop. Neither the contents of the shop nor your purchases will be known to the other players.

In-Character Thread is Open:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=86495

I have broken the players into two groups. The first group includes the units that were easiest for me to complete. The second group will start when I finish with them.

First Group
a1s, Reigning Champion: Knight (Chess)
Space Jawa: Sniper (XCOM EU)
dsjstr: ? (Pokemon MD R/B)

Second Group
Accrovideogames, Reigning Champion: Valkyrie (FE7)
TricMagic: Assault (XCOM EU)
Boohoo the 3rd: Boulder Mech (Into the Breach)
NotAJumbleOfNumbers: Thief (FE7)

My apologies to those that must wait.
Last edited by roseheart on Sun May 23, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2021 7:03 am

Post by roseheart »

I've heard from 2 of 3 players, still waiting for MafiaScum (djstr) to post their action in a spoiler in the IC Thread.
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed May 05, 2021 3:56 pm

Post by roseheart »

Skipping players for turn 1 in about 12 hours. (If you'd like to choose to skip, please say so in a spoiler or I will consider you afk.)
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue May 11, 2021 4:48 pm

Post by roseheart »

Approaching 48 hours. Ending turn soon.
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue May 11, 2021 6:21 pm

Post by roseheart »

Just a clarifier (I'm posting this on 'ALL' forums) "There is no rule against changing your move/mind, feel free to do so." If your forum allows editing posts you may do so, but if not, or there has been posts after, you may post a new spoiler with the changes.
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun May 16, 2021 9:36 am

Post by roseheart »

Got moves in for 2. Still need 2.
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon May 17, 2021 10:29 am

Post by roseheart »

It seems Jumble is missing. Would anyone be willing to take their place?
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue May 18, 2021 5:08 am

Post by roseheart »

I've got 3/4 actions in. 1 player is missing (NotAJumbleOfNumbers on mafiascum), and I will likely move on without them in ~12 hours. Hoping a replacement shows up but if not that's ok. (looking for someone from any of the forums at this point)
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue May 18, 2021 2:28 pm

Post by roseheart »

I guess I'll move on without mafiascum :(

dsjstr let me know you're still around and I'll upkeep the IC thread. Everyone else that might be interested boop this thread to let me know. Thanks mod @xofelf for trying to help.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue May 18, 2021 7:33 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I’d consider signing up but you said in the replacement thread that slower players would get replaced and I’m always slow while I’m figuring out a game, so I don’t want to /in just to be very likely replaced. :/
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue May 18, 2021 7:53 pm

Post by roseheart »

Thank you for your interest. I am willing to make an extra effort not to replace you, since you're the only person active on mafiascum until dsjstr hopefully shows up later.

Why don't I PM you your character, and if it is too confusing or hard you can switch to just being a spectator? I'll send it to you, and if you can figure it out, post your turn in the IC Thread in a spoiler.
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu May 20, 2021 8:43 am

Post by roseheart »

Thank you for your PM:
Nancy Drew 39 wrote:How much time do I have to decide on all of this?

Is it possible to send me a timer or is that unnecessary?
I do need to get at least this current update out quickly. I'm really excited about the prospect of having you play (and represent mafiascum). However the last update was on the 15th, 3 days later we started talking, and now we are another 2 days in. As with any forum game, there is at least some sense of urgency (eventually) it's the only we can keep 7 players together. If you can make a decision and post your action within 24 hours, then the next turn you'll have not only more time, but be able to talk to the other players from all 4 forums currently waiting.
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri May 21, 2021 8:00 am

Post by roseheart »

Alight, I do need to move on. The main issue was not that you were needing time to figure this out. The issue was you didn't stay in communication after your initial PM reply. I just stopped hearing from you.

Update: Get well soon Nancy!
Last edited by roseheart on Sun May 23, 2021 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun May 23, 2021 5:29 am

Post by roseheart »

Hugo Everett, Thief (FE7)

• HP: 2

• Size: "SMALL"

• Initiative: 10

Evasion (Passive)
If higher than before, incoming attacks have a 75% chance to miss.

Inventory (Passive)
You can hold up to 5 items. Items can be used once. If a weapon misses it won't be depleted.

1) Iron Sword (Melee)
2 damage. 25% sword is destroyed.

2) Longsword (Melee)
3 damage. +2 against "BIG" units. 25% double damage. 50% sword is destroyed.

3) Killing Edge (Melee)
2 damage. 25% miss. 50% double damage. 50% sword is destroyed.

4) Vulnerary (Special)
Use before or after movement. Heal for 2. 50% chance use not consumed.

5) Vulnerary (Special)
Use before or after movement. Heal for 2. 50% chance use not consumed.

Steal (Melee)
Ends your turn. If the target does not move away, see what items you could take from a unit. Only items that do not require a new meter can be stolen, such as single-use or unlimited use items.

Resupply (Post-Game)
Before battle you can spend the points from your last match to buy items. Items can be discarded to make room. Duplicates are allowed. Points will expire after you close the shop. Neither the contents of the shop nor your purchases will be known to the other players. (You have no points yet)

Promotion (Post-Game)
Win this game to become an Assassin in the next one.
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2021 12:07 pm

Post by roseheart »

The game will continue in about 3 hours.
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2021 5:54 pm

Post by roseheart »

Objective:

- When you, or your alliance gains 5 points, the battle ends!
- If extra, points will be contributed randomly and the rest will be discarded. If there are no more opposing forces left, an alliance will gain the missing points randomly.
- Kills will continue to grant +2 points.
- Each point you contribute gives you permanent progress towards unlocking your characters' endings: 50% to 'Decent' ending, 25% to 'Happy' ending, 10% to 'Secret' ending.
- Survive to retire or continue your character. Win to make ending progress.

Sidewinder: The valkyrie king can (continue to) Rescue the knight even though they are big. If the The knight waits to get off until next turn they can immediately act afterwards even though disembarking would usually end their turn. This allows them to remain as 1 unit at the end of a turn. (Basically, this ability counters the rule changes that prevent the tactic.)

The knight's horse, while a powerful leaper, is burdened by a heavy load that requires them to navigate carefully. However the valkyrie's swift horse is able to carry both riders thus freeing up the knight's horse to follow behind them unburdened. When they stop the knight hops on their own horse as it passes by. This trick worked well on the desert dunes, where it was used to gain a decisive victory over the legendary snake titan.

In post 26, roseheart wrote:This is the end of the reposting of this session on MafiaScum. If you'd like to read further, you can at Bay 12 Forums, Sufficient Velocity, or GameFAQs. You can sign up to play in the OOC Thread. Thank you!
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:18 pm

Post by roseheart »

(MafiaScum is Back! With Nancy as the Assault.)

The thief has been revived. They've had a few invincible turns, but considering their character info was revealed I think people can deal.

The thief will not be able to steal or perform a melee attack (on the valkyrie king) this turn.
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:33 am

Post by roseheart »

Accrovideogames wrote:And why did YLW Assault turn black?
She turned black because she is now played by a MafiaScum player instead of a Bay 12 player. The old player dropped out, and a replacement on another forum stepped in.
But didn't they both ally when Assault asked Valkyrie if she wanted to team up and said yes?
That's a good point.

I'm going to compromise the fact the new player wasn't allied with you, and the old one was when you made your action, and say that the next time you get a point (kill or goalzone) you will get +1 point.
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:36 am

Post by roseheart »

To make alliances more concrete, please offer and accept alliances formally. Such as saying:

Name1 proposes an alliance with Name2 and Name 3.

Name 2 accepts Name1's alliance.

Name3 rejects Name1's alliance. (rejection will be assumed if no answer is given)

The first person to propose an alliance will be the captain, and they are the only one who can invite more.
roseheart
roseheart
Watcher
roseheart
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:17 am

Post by roseheart »

a1s and accro have an alliance. While a1s made the proposal, I am going to say accro is the captain as an extension of being made king.

Besides these 2, even if you've mentioned teaming up before in IC Thread please use the new format.

You will still be able to attack allies, but you'll be removed from the alliance unless you are captain in which case the attacked unit will be removed from it.
Allies will allow each other to pass through them

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”