WALRUS SQUARED (feat. me and hellbooks)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:51 pm

Post by tris »

fuckc, i feel like i gave "west" too low a score
here's what it says
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:41 pm

Post by tris »

oh um, aprox. 7:pm pdt sunday, (expired on 2021-06-20 19:01:47)
here's what it says
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:42 am

Post by Isis »

I like my song a lot in this cat but I know tris and hellbooks will not. Is that how you walrus?
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Sirius9121
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:00 pm

Post by Sirius9121 »

we're no longer allowed to edit our submissions right
余命数か月ばかりの恋に点滴で扶養する患者達
被害者の甘い期待を弔い悔悟の機会を躊躇うドクター
所以など行方知らず未知の病巣に臥す患者達
発熱が死因 然れば早期に躊躇すべきだったと知る放火犯
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:57 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 152, Isis wrote:I like my song a lot in this cat but I know tris and hellbooks will not. Is that how you walrus?
no
you only submit songs the organizers won't like when schadd is running it
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:28 am

Post by Isis »

D:
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:03 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 151, tris wrote:oh um, aprox. 7:pm pdt sunday, (expired on 2021-06-20 19:01:47)
got my ping
might make it if i either finish my grant draft or time my break appropriately
and I avoid wife summons
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:39 pm

Post by hellbooks »

thank you to everyone who came. the updated spreadsheet is here. a lot of neck and neck pairs.
tomorrow i will update this post with the list of songs, comments, and track links.

a new day and a new edit... here it is.

Spoiler: accidentally placed an extra spoiler and didn't have the heart to delete it. opening this will only bring you sorrow
trish
~~t~~

place holder

hellby
~~hb~~

placeholder

Spoiler: 1st SHAFT.ED (supergroovalisticprosifunkstication)
1st
Parliament - Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication

(tris: 8th // hellbooks: 1st)

trish
~~t~~

it's got funky ufo sounds. it goes on a long time doing things that don't interest me tho
guess:hellb WRONG

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE:
6.9 (4.9 w.d.)
fuck it... 7.0 (5/5)
CATFIT: 2.1
UNFAMILIARITY: -0.3
SUSPECTED USER: schadd maybz
ACTUAL USER: SCHAFTEDD???????
MEDAL FOR BEST TRACK NAME: oh yes, there it is.
PLAYLIST POINTS: 0.4

11.2 (9.2 +
1st place bonus
)

firstly, the way the keys just float in is like the introduction of a totally exhilarating weightlessness that carries on for the whole song.

a lot of the submissions go for this otherworldly vibe and i enjoyed that there's kind of a subversion of that, a song that just lets itself jam and find the human element while incorporating these astro-zero-g sounds into it. the keys are fucking cold. the drums are fucking pocket. this song is fucking preposterous. i did an absolute stank face for the whole thing. if you didnt even submit this song for the hellbooks cat then i am genuinely concerned for what absolute heater you are going to deliver for that one.

i gave -0.1 unfamilarity for having listened to several parliament songs and -0.2 unfamiliarity for having listened to maggot brain by funkadelic many times. feel free to litigate this when this is posted, Dear Submitter, although i suspect you'll be satisfied with your point total.

i gave 0.4 playlist points for two reasons: one, the playlist i added it to is one of the first playlists i ever made (title: if you change your mind) and two, it is the same playlist that contains the song that i submitted to this cat.

Spoiler: 2nd SIRIUS9121 (synchrogazer)
2nd
水樹奈々 - Synchrogazer (道明寺ここあ cover)

(tris: 6th // hellbooks: 2nd)

trish
~~t~~

8.0this is fun and zooms from place to place making sure i don't get bored which is considerate. initially i thought this didn't have much space, but i think we're in a a really fast spaceship actually.
the guess that was left out here by accident was sirius -.1

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 6.7 (4.8 w.d.)
CATFIT: 2.1
UNFAMILIARITY: 0
SUSPECTED USER: Sirius
ACTUAL USER: Sirius (-0.1)
PLAYLIST POINTS: 0.1

10.2 (8.8 +
2nd place bonus
)

I was right about sirius framing himself better than i could ever frame him. that being said i'll let the score speak for itself here. the chord changes are just like a literal space travel situation in themselves for how insane they are. too many catfitting instruments and little embellishments to even name. i'll shout the rapid synth pulse near the beginning of the song and energetic strings. that solo at 1:43 uaewghdushggh.

this particular cover seems to be not present on spotify but i added the original version to a playlist for not falling back asleep. i'm going to max out the points to 0.1 here due to it not being the cover version which i think is better

Spoiler: 3rd CHEETORY6 (spindrift)
3rd
Colin Stetson - Spindrift

(tris: 2nd // hellbooks: 8th)

trish
~~t~~

this spins around in space. i like how it shifts back and forth between different chords. it has a feeling of perpetual movement. it starts to build a little sometimes, but then dissipates. it feels like it could go on forever. forever spinning in space. i like the breathing sounds.
guess: shaft.ed WONG
2nd place bonus whatever it is [editor's note: it is 1.6 for tris and 1.4 for hellbooks]

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 4.6 (3.8/5)
CATFIT: 2
UNFAMILIARITY: 0.1
SUSPECTED USER: shafty. : )
ACTUAL USER: CHEETORY MOTHER FUCKING 6????

Totally shocked by the saxophony. A very smart and good take on the cat. The chord suspension at 4:48 is really good. I saw the name colin stetson and was like oh this is gonna be some cowboy song, contributing to the shock and subsequent 0.1 unfamiliarity point. My only qualm is i'd say it kind of runs a bit long. But I think it has enough of that "getting lost in the vibe" quality so that I don't think much of it.

Spoiler: 4th CHEVRE (ufo)
4th
ESG - UFO

(tris: 1st // hellbooks: 11th)

trish
~~t~~

Ufo sounds!. where are they coming from@!!!!!!11 the gonnna catch me!!!!!!! anxiety. cool rhythms.
guess: MUSHSHAGANA WRONG

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 4.5 (3.7 w.d.)
CATFIT: 1.4
SUSPECTED USER: Cheetory6
ACTUAL USER: chevre

I have recently been loving this idea of sounds that are strongly not traditional rock/otherworldly of some sort tastefully set to a rock groove. (
see: tanya tagaq - retribution
). while I think the surprising effect doesn't linger very long it was still a great moment. That being said despite the title there's some downward bass movement to this + the drumming that feels particularly grounding.

Spoiler: 5th MUSHSHAGANA (patterns in the sky)
5th
Tineidae - Patterns in the Sky

(tris: 3rd // hellbooks: 7th)

trish
~~t~~

i like this a lot. there's a part that starts out really quiet at first so that's cool. there's a lot of cool touches like that. it's hard for me to write about this because i keep getting lost in the music. there's one part that strongly reminds me of majora's mask final hours. also there's a little bit at the start that reminds me of riven the sequel to myst.
guess: chevre WRONG
+.5[sic] for 3rd

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 5.0 (4/5)
CATFIT: 1.9
SUSPECTED USER: i have no choice but to guess mushshagana she's the last one i have to match i've already guessed everyone else for things and i dont want to go back and rearrange cuz lazy
ACTUAL USER: oh my god mushshagana i'm so sorry i literally didn't even think it was you this was literally an accident i'm so sorry (-0.1)
PLAYLIST POINTS: 0.1
MEDAL FOR GETTING 6.9 POINTS: yes. which could not have happened had i not guessed you correctly

taking its time to lay down the pieces of the atmosphere here. i find the pair of do re mi fa so boops to be really calming. the first like real chord interaction at 2:48 is really solidly impactful, like the sudden presence of something: the camera has suddenly panned to some planet after drifting around. there's a festival of bad vibes in the comments. i added this to a playlist of reading music.

Spoiler: 6th PJ (porchfire)
6th
The Flashbulb - Porchfire

(tris: 4th // hellbooks: tied 5th)

trish
~~t~~

this is very chill and relaxed. i like all the phases it goes through, but through it all, you got that constant DING sound. yea, it's got a spaceous feel. i'm gently bumping around in space.
guess: cheetory WRONG

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 5.5 (4.2 w.d.)
CATFIT: 1.8
UNFAMILIARITY: -0.2
SUSPECTED USER: PJ
ACTUAL USER: PJ (-0.1)

i like the blyearts that happen at the end of each loop. there are also distant beep bwoops that are workhorses at the catfit job as well as the pulsing synth pad. good drums. i like this song a lot ^_^ i should listen to more of them

Spoiler: 7th SCHADD (stalagmites & helictites)
7th
Lucy Gooch - Stalagmites & Helictites

(tris: 5th // hellbooks: tied 5th)

trish
~~t~~

this is beautiful. the voices blur into the background sounds. um i like it
guess: schadd -.1

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 4.8 (3.9/5)
CATFIT: 2.2
SUSPECTED USER: chevre
ACTUAL USER: SCHADD WAS GOOCH?????
MEDAL FOR BEST ARTIST NAME: yes

let's get the obvious out of the way. best artist name of the bunch so much so that I was considering the best artist/best track to be a one-time thing and the decision was singlehandedly made by this submission. i love this idea of a song about, presumably caves, having this echoey, dank, vast, spacewards feel. which it does both in real life and in this song so that interaction is demonstrated really well. the harmonies are definitely space.

if not for the existence of another song this would have also won the best track name medal.

Spoiler: 8th ISIS (the forest of hope)
8th
Pikmin OST - The Forest of Hope

(tris: 11th // hellbooks: 3rd)

trish
~~t~~

4.5 (editor's note: this score was bumped up during the reveals to a 5.5.)
this one betrays its true location in it's title. i thought it was by a lake, but it's actually in a forest. either way, neither place is in space unfortunately. also tragically, this bores me. it keeps repeating itself :/
guess: isis -.1

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 5.8 (4.4/5)
CATFIT: 1.6
SUSPECTED USER: lichrally whomst? caled?
ACTUAL USER: I GOT CALED AND ISIS SWITCHED
APOLOGY POINTS FOR HAVING NEVER PLAYED PIKMIN: i feel nothing. 0

8.4 (7.4 +
3rd place bonus
)

another good non-space space analogue here: dense, mysterious, deep, etc. that uncertain jumpy interval followed by a string trill is something that i found intensely, intensely emotional. i think the greatest catfit is contributed by those low piano cluster chords which has this pitch black darkness to it. i mean this is like great. the drumming works against the cat here -- like there's a strong aspect of something feeling like it's "over you" like a canopy of leaves rather than some boundless vast void?

Spoiler: 9th DAVSTO (what is the light)
9th
The Flaming Lips - What is the Light

(tris: 7th // hellbooks: tied 9th)

trish
~~t~~

hey, the word space is in this one. and we've got spaceship boops, and there's some echo-y hey this is about space stuff. but, on the whole it's less evocative of that to me compared to some others in this. i like the moment where we land differently than before at the end of a line. this is moderately appealing to me.
guess: davsto -.1

hellby
~~hb~~

LIKE: 4.8 (3.9/5)
CATFIT: 1.9
UNFAMILIARITY: -0.2
SUSPECTED USER: davy
ACTUAL USER: davy (-0.1)

I like the verticality of the singing duet with the low piano definitely goes a lot of way towards "space" making which is a fun hidden double meaning which is totally synergistic (
see: sza garden, which i cited as an example for this category
). there's the occasional boop, definitely a standard. Electric organ is an unexpectedly huge catfitter although i should have expected that i think. I understand the lyrics association here although I didn't particularly find myself drawn to them.

Spoiler: 10th CALEDFWITCH (starlight)
10th
Jai Wolf - Starlight

(tris: 10th // hellbooks: tied 9th)

trish
~~t~~

so, this talks about the night sky and stuff. i guess this fills a big space. mostly not space i think. it has a nice drive to it, but it does not capture my interest very much.
guess: caled -.1

hellby
~~hb~~

CATFIT: 1.8
SUSPECTED USER: Isis
ACTUAL USER: caledfwitch

i like the fake pianos. this kind of music i associate with rando cohort from song game. the patch layers definitely what i was expecting to be a standardly really good element of the catfit! the only thing I don't like is the guy's voice which is unfortunately a prominent aspect of it especially when there's that line where everything else cuts out for emotional impact

Spoiler: 11th TRISH (reverso)
11th
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Reverso

(hellbooks: 4th)

trish
~~t~~

editors note: this was trish's song ^_^

hellby
~~hb~~

CATFIT: 2.6
SUSPECTED USER: tris
ACTUAL USER: tris (-0.1)
DID TRIS GET THE HIGHEST CATFIT TWICE IN A ROW: spoiler on future catfits! yes

i like the sort of tape degrading noises aspect to it a lot for the catfit: in particular there's this layer of sound really quiet in the background, like this fuzzy layer, that feels like such a blanket of discommunication that really creates this space-like atmosphere. and the various upper noises that come sporadically are really powerfully evocative of twinkling stars and just like things coming in and out of existence.

Spoiler: 12th HEELBEWKS (city lights)
12th
Jinmenusagi, Evo+ - City Lights (Pa's Lam System Remix)

(tris: 9th)

trish
~~t~~

[points found elsewhere]
this song appears to be about city lights and not space lights. it's really fun tho!!!
guess:pj [editor's note: this was wrong]

hellby
~~hb~~

this is my own song and the goal as it was with schadd's drum cat is to frame sirius. altho i'm sure sirius is effortlessly gonna submit something that is even more sirius than this. this song to me has the vibe of a rocket blastoff. you will hear it at the end. warning: there is a gun sound in this song.
Last edited by hellbooks on Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
why does your ferret thing have a waterfall?
your guess is as good as mine
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: IT/ITS
Location: Everett-Wheeler Branch Q-5992-CLF3, Third Mouth of the Worm

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:45 pm

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

I am legitimately surprised at the score order being totally flipped for me here ... I can't wait for the thoughts here. Hoping I snuck in without being caught, too...
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:39 pm

Post by tris »

hellbooks guessed you by accident
here's what it says
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:40 pm

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

That'd be both hilarious and offend my sense of goodness in this world. So it's probably true.

Sorry for disappointing you with my music for the first time(?), hellbooks!
Sirius9121
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:31 am

Post by Sirius9121 »

well that was a very nice boost from 10th to 5th
glad y'all liked synchrogazer :P
余命数か月ばかりの恋に点滴で扶養する患者達
被害者の甘い期待を弔い悔悟の機会を躊躇うドクター
所以など行方知らず未知の病巣に臥す患者達
Sirius9121
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:34 am

Post by Sirius9121 »

I was right about sirius framing himself better than i could ever frame him.
why are you providing false evidence against me i don't understand can someone tell me what this should have meant in english context
余命数か月ばかりの恋に点滴で扶養する患者達
被害者の甘い期待を弔い悔悟の機会を躊躇うドクター
所以など行方知らず未知の病巣に臥す患者達
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:24 am

Post by schadd_ »

hellbooks submitted a song that's similar to your music so that tris would guess you for it, but your song ended up being more like your own music
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: shaft.ed

shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:43 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 163, schadd_ wrote:hellbooks submitted a song that's similar to your music so that tris would guess you for it, but your song ended up being more like your own music
that and Keely covering for me made up the 0.1 difference between 1st and 2nd
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:48 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 132, tris wrote:and here's a bonus thing; https://viewsync.net/watch?v=72h1L2ys2L ... &mode=solo
any chance you were going to do one of these again?
the space music was really great for getting work done :nerd:
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:33 am

Post by Psyche »

ok i found the thread now what
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:49 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:19 am

Post by Psyche »

wow
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:55 am

Post by shaft.ed »

i mean, it's up to tris and hb if you can join late
but you will definitely be down points if you care about the scoring aspect of the whole thing since the first two weeks have already passed
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:42 am

Post by Psyche »

i would take it
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:13 am

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

I’m vaguely surprised I didn’t get higher enjoyment from hellbooks here, but then again maybe it’s the particular resonance that song holds in the context of the full album for me. Ambient music normally is background music, Tineidae demands engagement, and that song is one of three absolutely stellar moments of lovely, lush space ambient synth that has to make Jarre flush with envy in an incredibly dark and moody album.

Doesn’t hurt that normally Tineidae is, I shit you not, a psytrance producer.

It also is infuriating that I got caught by accident. Maddening. That’s TWICE, in TWO separate WALRUSes where the entire rest of my submissions will probably be blatant as hell. How! How!
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Post by hellbooks »

In post 170, Psyche wrote:i would take it
you can join late so says tris and i agree
In post 171, MUSHSHAGANA wrote:It also is infuriating that I got caught by accident. Maddening. That’s TWICE, in TWO separate WALRUSes where the entire rest of my submissions will probably be blatant as hell. How! How!
i will do my absolute best to accidentally not get one of yours in the future
why does your ferret thing have a waterfall?
your guess is as good as mine
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:27 pm

Post by tris »