WALRUS SQUARED (feat. me and hellbooks)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:28 am

Post by hellbooks »

sclusies:

1. at least one person will continue their mj medaling streak (in my top 3 last cat and in my top 3 this cat)
2. the same person submitted both my highest scoring and lowest scoring song in the same pair
3. the difference between my first and second raw scores is over two points

the additional twist - one of these sclusies is false
why does your ferret thing have a waterfall?
your guess is as good as mine
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:36 am

Post by hellbooks »

excellent job everyone
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:45 am

Post by hellbooks »

for cat 2 (hellbooks music) i will be multiplying normal scores by 1.5, always rounding up
for cat 1 (tris music) i will be multiplying normal scores by 0.5, always rounding up
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:03 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

I forgot to mention that I paired my two songs because of the theremin-like sounds in both
this was also the reason for the T-instrument task category in my walrus

this was an epic round btw, thanks all
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: IT/ITS
Location: Everett-Wheeler Branch Q-5992-CLF3, Third Mouth of the Worm

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:30 pm

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

There was a fairly high concept with mine. Emotional tone, primarily. That desperate, despondent hopelessness, everyone you know receding away, the self-loathing aspects, and the lack of a conclusion -- just the continuation of a cycle. It's a very very specific emotion, and I think there's probably only a handful of songs I've listened to that touch on it -- all in wildly different genres. I picked the two most removed from each other.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:30 pm

Post by Psyche »

i dont know what songs you're talking about
but the post reminds me of radiohead's song weird fishes
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:41 pm

Post by Davsto »

rip lol
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:29 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

Excited to see what the other submissions were for this one
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:02 am

Post by hellbooks »

Spoiler: 1st KEELY (múm - don't be afraid... // The Books - Enjoy your worries...)
1st
Keely
(tris: 2nd // hellbooks: 2nd)

trish
~~t~~

múm - don't be afraid, you have just got your eyes closed

The Books - Enjoy your worries you may never have them again

shaft.ed
18.1 + 1.5 = 19.6

hellby
~~hb~~

múm - don't be afraid, you have just got your eyes closed

LIKE: 5.4 (4.2/5)
UNFAMILIARITY: -0.3

i like this drum beat with the little shuffle sound on it, that plus the instrumentation makes it feel evocative of 8-bit music almost. i like this really slow swell after the drum drops out. there's a little sound at about 3:03 that's like a timid bubble popping noise which i like a lot. i think the sonic aspect of it is a lot better than the melodic aspect of it, but both are good!

The Books - Enjoy your worries you may never have them again

LIKE: 6.0 (4.5/5)
UNFAMILIARITY: 0

the noises of the fingers scraping on the strings is really harshly good. crow caw good. i think the samples are kind of a hit or miss but it's definitely attention-holding and also a lot of them are really thought provoking for sure. the general structure of the song totally grabs me by the neck. this is dope

----

APTITUDE: 2.8
INTEREST: 2.1
SUSPECTED USER: lockin for keely i think
ACTUAL USER: i was correct -0.1

+1.4

i like how these monstrous track titles construct this narrative of "pay more attention to get rid of the negative emotion" into "pay more attention to your negative emotion". and i think how songs with a similar vision can be emotionally diametrically opposed is a really great idea and it's perfectly done here: they both have this slow instrumental density ramp-up and broad interesting sonic palette. it's cool to see how those ideas complement their own corresponding ideas. i think this is just a brilliant pairing example. thank you!

Spoiler: 2nd ISIS (Houston Calls - Elephant and Castle // Bowser's Inside Story - Dark Star Core)
2nd
Isis
(tris: 3rd // hellbooks T3rd)

trish
~~t~~

Houston Calls - "Elephant and Castle"

Dark Star Core (From: "Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story")

isis
18.0 +1.0 = 19.0

hellby
~~hb~~

Houston Calls - Elephant and Castle

LIKE: 6.6 (4.8/5)
PLAYLIST POINTS: 0.1

i like the effect on the guitar it kind of makes it have this crushed quality. i feel like a pop punk/alt rock type of song has to be really catchy for me to really like it and this qualifies. i mean i guess that's like what those songs are going for. i really like how the other vocals jump in at that one point, leading into to the climax with please dont go, little girl in that really delicious energy spike. and then the multiple melody lines swirling around each other as a culminating device is just so emblematic of beloved songs of mine (i'm thinking like semi-charmed life by TEB, kiss chase by lush, etc.) holy fuck i listened to this an insane amount in the past few weeks on youtube lmao

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - Dark Star Core

LIKE: 4.9 (3.9 w.d.)

i think this almost feels like mournful? with the little synth tune, even with those like retro stabs punctuating each thing. anyway it's good!

----

APTITUDE: 2.1
INTEREST: 2.1
SUSPECTED USER: isis
ACTUAL USER: isis CUT! -0.1

+0.5

just found this pair of songs really puzzling and interesting. i think the crushed guitar really does have this video game sound the way that the melody of the second song does. it really feels like there's like a really auspicious melodic correspondence beyond the layers of slowdown applied to the second song that's honestly fascinating and sort of a unique-seeming direction for the cat

Spoiler: 3rd PJ (Peter Brötzmann et. al. - Bullets Through Rain // Drive Like Jehu - Here Come the Rome Plows)
3rd
PJ
(tris: 9th // hellbooks: 1st)

trish
~~t~~

Bullets Through Rain

Here Come the Rome Plows

pj

hellby
~~hb~~

Peter Brötzmann, Paal Nilssen-Love, Mats Gustafsson - Bullets Through Rain

LIKE: 6.4 (4.7/5)

let me tell you what i like about this song. i think the slamming kick drum pierces through this brassery like: bullets through rain. so i think the title is excellently evocative. that epic repeated minor 9th blare at about 3 minutes in is like a really energetic motif. i really like the closely played hi-hat at the 5 minute mark. almost goes without saying but the double sax + drums is a great trio construction that just has so much engagement factor like they're both competing with all their might for your attention. sometimes there are like repeated blares which provides a really thrilling grounding force

let me tell you what i don't like now. nothing. i really like this song. you know me. this is what i like. maybe it's like a bit long for a track that maintains an energy constancy, like there's some sort of endurance component to it

Drive Like Jehu - Here Come the Rome Plows

LIKE: 5.8 (4.4/5)

that muted string flicking is NARSHTY. i dont have the terminology for it. it feels like i'm constantly teetering on the edge with this shit. fhhhuck. feels like there's like a point where the song could kind of veer into repetition at like the third minute but there's this insane good dissonant riff that powerfully hooks me back in

----

APTITUDE: 2.4
INTEREST: 2.0
SUSPECTED USER: who in the fresh hell is this genius? PJ???!???!??!??!!!????!??
ACTUAL USER: cool -0.1

+2

on a surface level there are correspondences between the constant tension and energy elements hammered in by each of the songs. but also it made me think a lot about this thing that i was hoping with this category, which is broader sonic correspondences between genres. i think there's something to be said about scream-y vocals and sax overblowing, like the viscerality of instruments being taken past their normal limit.

Spoiler: 4th SHAFT.ED (DeVotchKa - Vengo! Vengo! // Erykah Badu - Incense)
4th
shaft.ed
(tris: 4th // hellbooks: 11th)

trish
~~t~~

Vengo! Vengo!

Incense

schadd

hellby
~~hb~~

DeVotchKa - Vengo! Vengo!

UNFAMILIARITY: 0.1

i like the blend of traditional and rock drumming/guitar situation always like an idea that is solidly and consistently good

Erykah Badu - Incense

LIKE: 5.5 (4.2 w.d.)

i'm going to see her in chicago soon : )
i feel like there's a really great haziness that's laid out with this languid beat, punctuated by the slow arpeggiated runs of the harp.

----

APTITUDE: 2.1
INTEREST: 1.9
SUSPECTED USER: shafty

i think there's correspondences in the way that very different instruments are made to work together, there's also a really contrasting timelessness to both pieces. the first song has a very "human" vibe while the second one has a very "earthly" vibe. definitely thought a lot about the musicianship

Spoiler: 5th CHEVRE (Almeda Riddle - My Little Rooster // Devendra Banhart - Little Monkey)
5th
Chevre
(tris: 8th // hellbooks: T3rd)

trish
~~t~~

My Little Rooster

Little Monkey

chevre

hellby
~~hb~~

Almeda Riddle - My Little Rooster

LIKE: 5.8 (4.4/5)

the harshness of the "cock-a-doodle-doo" pressing against the sonic envelope is just like really brilliant, and it got stuck in my head so insanely. there's really something to be said about there being absolutely no sound beyond the voice -- something that would be unachievable in the real world. like an interesting disembodiment

Devendra Banhart - Little Monkey

LIKE: 5.2 (4.1/5)

there's a really interesting non-sequitur almost? to this ending? which i found really delicately lovely. the dual vocal lines also have a really nice timbre against each other

----

APTITUDE: 2.2
INTEREST: 2.4
SUSPECTED USER: tris??? legendarily???
ACTUAL USER: chevre!!! shakes fist

+0.5

this made me think of a lot about the ways that simplicity is used in music to many different ends. and i thought this was just like a really good exhibit a / exhibit b paired thought process on that.

also just the epic contrast between the utter silence outside the vocalist in the first track and the powerful wall of static in the second track and how that places each performance differently is like one of the most fascinating things ever. i think i want to give this the highest amount of interest points for being really good and thought provoking and also feeling like it just happened to also have the epic title correlation

Spoiler: 6th SCHADD (Secret Mommy - Daycare // Clark - Night Knuckles)
6th
schadd
(tris: 5th // hellbooks: 6th)

trish
~~t~~

Daycare

Night Knuckles

cheetory

hellby
~~hb~~

Secret Mommy - Daycare

oh my god i thought schadd was a lock for [upcoming song] but this is insane replica steve reich vocal chopping situation vibes. real wrench in the gears here. i like this bubbly in the blue shirt style rapid sample flip style. as long as i'm throwing out names willy nilly let's throw out iglooghost as well. ohhhhhhhh. dathings.

Clark - Night Knuckles

LIKE: 5.6 (4.3/5)
UNFAMILIARITY: -0.4

okay this is schadd. okay then who the fuck was [upcoming song]? i like this music box accompanied by clattering of a silverware drawer percussion

----

APTITUDE: 2.8
INTEREST: 1.7
SUSPECTED USER: schadd
ACTUAL USER: -0.1

i really like the fast-paced mechanical cuteness of both of the songs + a clean transition + the title opposition. the day/night theme is also something i tried to abstractly dip into so i feel ya there. this is like such a clean pairing concept. really solid execution i think i will give you the highest aptitude points

Spoiler: 7th JUN (Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds From Another Planet // Neon Bunny 야광토끼 - New moon)
7th
Jun
(tris: 6th // hellbooks: T7th)

trish
~~t~~

Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds From Another Planet

Neon Bunny 야광토끼_New moon

caledfwitch

hellby
~~hb~~

Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds From Another Planet

LIKE: 6.4 (4.7/5)
UNFAMILIARITY: -0.8

oughhhh that pretty pipe organ into fuzzy buzzy guitar.... perfect instrumental combo. and how it flattens out and relaxes into this gorgeous nocturnal progression that you can imagine rocking on the back porch looking up at the sky

Neon Bunny - New Moon

i like sort of the alt r&b suite of sounds that it has going and the way the song kind of pulsates with flow is really good even with sort of unimpressive vocals. overall a great listen that's really carried by the production

----

APTITUDE: 2.3
SUSPECTED USER: caled
ACTUAL USER: jun !!! -0.1

Really excellent transition to this one and i like it as like both very night-oriented songs. the jbrekkie song feels like so broad in scope and movement while the neon bunny song feels like a rumination in one place both energetically and harmonically, and i like this contrast

Spoiler: 8th MUSHSHAGANA (156/Silence - Vexation // Lost Signal - Perfect Sky)
8th
MUSHSHAGANA
(tris: 7th // hellbooks: T7th)

trish
~~t~~

156/Silence - "Vexation"

Lost Signal-Perfect Sky

MUSHSHAGANA

hellby
~~hb~~

156/Silence - Vexation

LIKE: 5.0 (4.0/5)

it kind of feels like an exhausted sort of slow scream vocals which is interesting and definitely feels really intentional, glaringly so when the rest of the noise drops out to reveal this sort of ruminant core. it feels like the singer is like in one room and everyone else is another room. i'm rather unversed in this kind of music and only have the occasional song contest exposure

Lost Signal - Perfect Sky

oo i like how it builds up the groove and then these faded tired vocals slip in.

----

APTITUDE: 2.6
SUSPECTED USER: mushshagana
ACTUAL USER: correct -0.1

transitionally i find this really interesting because it feels like the distorted synth pulse really evokes the "weeooweeooweeoo" from the first song in a slowed down way. i think the vocals also share a removedness from the rest of the music. i think this is sort of the one where i get the most lyrical connectedness in terms of a constructed emotional narrative and i really like that

Spoiler: 9th SIRIUS9121 (Kradness - 六兆年と一夜物語 // Roselia - FIRE BIRD)
9th
sirius9121
(tris: 10th // hellbooks: 9th)

trish
~~t~~

六兆年と一夜物語

FIRE BIRD

sirius

hellby
~~hb~~

Kradness - 六兆年と一夜物語

UNFAMILIARITY: -0.3

i like when his voice gets unexpectedly low to lead into the last chorus. i know and like this song and it's just really good and even though i don't know the language the phonemes are really pleasant and addictive. even past the familiarity i've never heard this specific cover before so you don't get the full -0.4 penalty.

Roselia - FIRE BIRD

UNFAMILIARITY: -0.1

wow okay, that high note is lit though???? and the keyboard/guitar dueling solos are good as fuck. wow i am like realizing that i know the names of both the keyboardist and guitarist for this band. my brain is huge

----

APTITUDE: 2.4
SUSPECTED USER: hi sirius
ACTUAL USER: : ) -0.1

i think your success in pairing two songs was like pretty guaranteed here. i thought the high note surprise / low singing surprise was a really fun situation and there's like a similar construction of the energy levels

Spoiler: 10th DAVSTO (Jethro Tull - Bourée // Madness - Swan Lake)
10th
davsto
(tris: 11th // hellbooks: 10th)

trish
~~t~~

Jethro Tull - Bourée

Madness - Swan Lake

combined; 3
totol; 14.5

hellby
~~hb~~

Jethro Tull - Bourée

LIKE: 5.4 (4.2/5)

there's a really strong "paired vocal" nature set in motion by the unfettered panning and the guitar and basswork does an honestly phenomenal job of filling in that middle space and making it a solid as fuck spatial experience especially when it lands into that groove. this is a lock for "good bass songs" playlist that i have even though it's like not even the star instrument

Madness - Swan Lake

LIKE: 5.0 (4.0/5)

there's that classic ska off-beat situation that i just am incapable of wholeheartedly liking but that really doesn't stop me from being wickedly delighted about it here. i think this was a great first-time listen and not too much beyond that but hey, really glad i did

----

APTITUDE: 2.3
SUSPECTED USER: dav : )
ACTUAL USER: davsto CUT!!! -0.1

i think there is a built-in straightforwardness of the pairing here but i had to give you decent interest points regardless from just how delighted i was when i listened to the second song the first time, just that instant realization. i think props to you for the ordering of that too. beyond that, there's sort of like this up-and-down melodic nature to both of the pieces that ended up being really good.

Spoiler: 11th HELLBOOKS (Park Jiha - Throughout the Night // Tyva Kyzy - Tozhama)
11th
hellbooks
(tris: 1st)

trish
~~t~~

Park Jiha - Throughout the Night

Tozhama

hellbooks -.1
18.2 + 2.0 =20.2

hellby
~~hb~~

the pairing aspects
- i like the contrast between night and day here. in particular park jiha starts out really settled, glittering, inky blackness that seems really difficult to pierce through. then there's this nasal oboe-like sound (its a korean traditional instrument) that strikes through that calm.
- on the other hand, tozhama starts out really clearly evoking like a "morning" sound (bird calls, fluttering woodwind sound) which makes for a really nice follow up contrasting work. so together you could see it as the two different sides of a slow 24 hour rotation throughout an entire day cycle.
- i also think there's a lot of sonic correspondence between the throat singing and the korean reed instruments of this like really multi-toned and sharply textural sound
- i thought that dynamic of vocal noise and instrumental noise being two aspects of a similar musical texture was a really interesting concept to explore for a pair

Spoiler: 12th TRIS (Portishead - Silence // Murcof - Memoria)
12th
tris
(hellbooks: 5th)

trish
~~t~~

place holder

hellby
~~hb~~

Portishead - Silence

i'm a fan of this washed out drumming. i can sort of recognize the artistry components behind it but i think the middle section of contemplation kind of left me wanting for stimulation--that being said it's still a very competent and good moody atmospheric song, there's like a cinematic string situation that helps with that. i added this to a playlist of seven letter S-word songs

Murcof - Memoria

LIKE: 5.6 (4.3/5)

oh my god when that high frequency noise comes in i went wild like a dog. that was sick for real.

----

APTITUDE: 2.7
INTEREST: 2.0
SUSPECTED USER: chevy maybe????????
ACTUAL USER: TRIS!!!!! shakes fist

abrupt and insane transition. both songs feel like they create a bleak and vast space, with some sort of interesting percussive groove taking up and moving forward through it. the strings are also really unique and contrasting for their roles in each song, yet somehow both instrumental in creating similar atmospheres, which i thought was really excellent

---------------------

Spoiler: linkes for your listening pleasure
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:11 am

Post by hellbooks »

hellbewks cat is likely happening at sunday noon my pretties!!! *cackles like a witch*

psst... that's in (expired on 2021-08-29 12:00:02)... don't tell anyone i told ya ;)
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:08 pm

Post by hellbooks »

sclusie: i saved every song
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:32 am

Post by shaft.ed »

50/50 I can catch the backend

also, that's a great outcome!
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:34 am

Post by PJ. »

Good job everyone. Big success.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:07 am

Post by tris »

this song has been taken down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJyeD_Qt_I

i did some digging, and it seems that this is what was submitted. if this is wrong, please contact me through a third party (like schadd)
here's what it says
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:11 am

Post by tris »

and if you are schadd, you can be all mischievous and pretend you got it from someone else ;)
here's what it says
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:39 am

Post by shaft.ed »

sorry, I'll try to use more reputable youtube channels for future submissions
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:55 am

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

Wrong way to do it: use less reputable Youtube channels. If the video title includes a track number and ends in ".wma" you're in good hands.
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:47 am

Post by hellbooks »

great job everyone
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:07 am

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

Can't wait to see what you had to say about Thank. It was either going to be the gold or the last place and I had no idea which one -- total gamble.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:27 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 268, MUSHSHAGANA wrote:Can't wait to see what you had to say about Thank. It was either going to be the gold or the last place and I had no idea which one -- total gamble.
when I'm impatient for commentary updates, I'll scroll through the discord chat logs
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:34 am

Post by hellbooks »

MUSHSHAGANA wrote:Can't wait to see what you had to say about Thank. It was either going to be the gold or the last place and I had no idea which one -- total gamble.
Spoiler: spoiler for what i had to say about it
i gave it a perfect 5, second one of the walrus!
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:39 am

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

In post 269, shaft.ed wrote:
In post 268, MUSHSHAGANA wrote:Can't wait to see what you had to say about Thank. It was either going to be the gold or the last place and I had no idea which one -- total gamble.
when I'm impatient for commentary updates, I'll scroll through the discord chat logs
Ah, but I'm not on the Discord.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:15 pm

Post by tris »

this is my friends cattegory,
~~~~helbewk's~~~~

Spoiler: 12th: hellbewks (Tashannie - 경고)
타샤니 (Tashannie) - 경고 (Warning)

BONUS CATFITTANCE: 0.1

i think this song has one of the GOAT hooks. i wanted to leave this as a ranking to illustrate a secret bonus 0.1 point i was prepared to award to anyone who submitted a korean song to this cat. none of you appeared to fulfill this requirement. this is a song that is really early in the career of a singer and rapper who i like a lot whose name is tasha reid and has the korean name of yoon mirae. she was born in texas. the other person in this duo who is named annie is LITERALLY unfindable and unknowable. i have it as an unfinished task to get a cd of this album since it's not on spotify but there are like multiple barriers to getting one

this song is about a girl warning another girl not to come for her man which is just something i dont care about lyrically at all

Spoiler: 11th: trish (Patty Griffin - Poor Man's House)
Patty Griffin - Poor Man's House

LIKE: 7.9 (4.4/5)
SUSPECTED USER: gonna guess... tris for this
ACTUAL USER: omg i'm good -0.1

7.8 (11.7 weighted)

reminds me of maybe like gillian welch? like this writerly sort of... americana??? btw. just entering country-influenced music in this cat is a simple stroke of brilliance. i like the joyful unyielding loudness of the guitar in the strong sections. there's this pretty crystalline brightness to her high notes too

Spoiler: 10th: isis (Derek Patton - Apes in the Rotunda)
Derek Patton - Apes in the Rotunda

LIKE: 7.6 (4.3/5)
SUSPECTED USER: isis maybe idk

7.5 (11.3 weighted)

the sweeps and over-presence of seventh chords really remind me of math rock. um but this is good and just really a brilliant display of musicianship which i am fated to appreciate like always. there's a really joyful variety to this song like he just wants to give us as much as possible

Spoiler: tied 8th: jun (Kali Uchis - telepatía)
Kali Uchis - telepatía

SUSPECTED USER: jun
ACTUAL USER: mmmmhmmm -0.1

7.8 (11.7 weighted)

first of all i think it fairest to give you no unfamiliarity penalty even though she's like epically on see you again by tyler i think. this sort of spotify-loved alt-r&b modern style is a really solid lock-in as well. i love how there are sections of the song where the vocals are absolutely drenched in these sweeping curtains of synth noise

Spoiler: tied 8th: schadd (José González - El Invento)
José González - El Invento

SUSPECTED USER: fuck uh who do i got who do i got who do i got. oh my goodness. chev
ACTUAL USER: i was wrong because it wasn't chev, it was schadd

7.9 (11.9 weighted)

adrianne lenker guitarism. children playingism. his low voice timbre is really gorgeous and really differs from his high voice timbre which creates a paired indie harmonizing style kind of reminds me a lot of like fleet foxes. wondering if our dear submitter made a similar conclusion. i like the epic bird squawk.

Spoiler: tied 6th: cheetory6th (toe - goodbye feat. Toki Asato)
toe - goodbye (feat. Toki Asato)

LIKE: 9.1 (4.7 w.d.)
UNFAMILIARITY: -0.9
SUSPECTED USER: cheetory6 who knows

8.1 (12.2 weighted)

sorry but i've known this song for like 7 years. that being said it's a huge winner for sure. in a sense you're like so correct for submitting a song that i already know and like, just in a catfitting way you were objectively correct and it was a bolt of happiness to get it as a submission so you should have a lot for this. in addition to that is deeper enjoyment of the song: there's something about more actively returning to an old song, dusting away nostalgia to recontextualize it with my current tastes. another brilliant aspect is that this is the only toe song i know (but maybe it's just like their most famous song idk)

Spoiler: tied 6th: sirius6121 (Roselia - Ringing Bloom)
Roselia - Ringing Bloom

LIKE: 8.8 (4.6 w.d.)
SUSPECTED USER: sirius9121 thanks for keepin it real
ACTUAL USER: ggs. -0.1

8.6 (12.9 weighted)

really glad you saved this for this cat. i think this is brilliant and just them operating at their like peak excellence. this is like probably equivalently good to LOUDER which is the song by them that i keep alluding to. both interesting and catchy. and i think you got me in a really good mini-period of my life of really appreciating this sort of music as well. i think there's just a really excellent way the melody kind of continues... blooming... outwards and never really resting nor returning to itself. that single moment at 4:35 where it takes the pedal off the gas for like a split second activates my primal instincts of music enjoyment

and it's like you predicted that i would like the dueling piano / guitar solos the way i did in the last cat and you were correct.

Spoiler: 5th: chevre (Sir Babygirl - Haunted House)
Sir Babygirl - Haunted House

LIKE: 7.4 (4.2 w.d.)
SUSPECTED USER: hrm... thinking face... schadd. fuck it
ACTUAL USER: i got it twisted. chev

7.4 (11.1 weighted)

ooh it's a fizzy instrumental that kind of reminds me of sylvan esso. the vocalist kind of has this montaigne voice for the high notes. this was good!

there's this youtube comment: "There’s parts where you are bit sharp. Overall it sounds pretty good though. You have great potential as an artist." the sharpness was something that i noticed as well and kind of had in my mind as something that added to it and was good and i'm glad that it's still there so i think this person is just insinuating a thing that i firmly disagree with

Spoiler: 4th: pj (hiromi's sonicbloom - Time Difference)
Hiromi's Sonicbloom - Time Difference

UNFAMILIARITY: -0.2
SUSPECTED USER: pj maybe wahtever
ACTUAL USER: hehe gotcha -0.1

7.6 (11.4 weighted)

i know and like hiromi a lot but haven't listened to this specific album. anyway this is a pretty surefire bet for me. i like the panned right keys and the back-feeling drums. let me award you a theoretical bonus catfit 0.1 for jazzness

Spoiler: 3rd: davsto (KT Tunstall - Chimes)
LIKE: 9.0 (4.7/5)
SUSPECTED USER: hail mary davsto guess
ACTUAL USER: YES!!!! YES !!!! -0.1

8.9 (13.4 weighted) +1

my first listen i got stuck on this song aka listened to it 3 times before being able to move on to the next one

i wanna say that there's like an underlying instrumental gorgeousness that reminds of this song cradle by adrianne lenker. and on the surface layer there's a beautiful shimmering gelatinousness to the rest of it that feels very much like its title. i love the accordion. yeahhhhh bro. this is really good. let me award you a theoretical bonus catfittance for scottishness

Spoiler: 2nd: shaft.2nd (Miho Hitori - Formula X)
Miho Hatori - Formula X

LIKE: 9.1 (4.7 w.d.)
SUSPECTED USER: shafty cibo matto sorry i kind of discovered it from the comments
ACTUAL USER: -0.1 sorry again

9.0 (13.5 weighted) +1.4

absolutely insane instrumental cohort here. there's the slow, heavy-swing drum loop with that narsty bass line that's like jazz funk on lean, but then there's that glitchy, reverby synth patch gliding out on the upper regions. and the vocals are really good and no-frills and fills in the gap gorgeously. i'd give you one theoretical 0.1 catfit bonus for cibo mattoism and 0.1 catfit penalty for gorillazism

Spoiler: 1st: MUSHSHAGANA (thank - fragile ego)
Thank - Fragile Ego

LIKE: 10 (5)
SUSPECTED USER: mushshagana
GRAND SLAM MEDAL: yes

9.9 (14.9 weighted) +2

i'm a solid 5% of the views on this video right now

the insanely catchy, dirty riff that comes in immediately reminds me of this band called toadies that i think i song contested a long time ago to pretty much universal dislike. the gradual introduction of permanent abrasive fixtures of noise such as that really great lawnmower-sounding part is satisfying. i simultaneously want to give 0.1 and take 0.1 off theoretical catfittance for "red by king crimson"

while i'm there let me talk about lyrics:
- don't sleep enough: me too
- stop don't touch my fragile ego: i really like the way this is spat out
- WHAT ARE YOUR HOBBIES!: i thought this was a funny line
- am i the oppressor: really fraught line that i didn't like very much
- oh god i think i might be the bad smell: line that bleeds into the next bar and its really good and my favorite line and is just instantly redeeming

the drums are so good in this though. this is good though. this is amazing. this is the thing i need to fill up my head. please accept every point. thank you!

i also gave points in this cate
~~t~~

1st
Spoiler: hiromi's sonicbloom - Time Difference
4.8 + 2.0 = 6.8
omg, this is good. where do i even start. gahhh! just listen to it ok?????
well, i guess the beginning is especially good. we start with a fluttering little melody that periodically rewinds. stuck in a little loop. then a slower lower version comes in in contrast. then that speeds up to join. (ooo, i think i just heard a tiny high pitched clink of the piano.), and then we get really cool staccato bit on a totally different rhythm that is also doing a reverse thing. AND THEN, that gives way to a smoother constantly ascending bit. and the melody finally blooms into a flower no longer stuck in the loop. and then there's this neat quieter part that crescendos into an epic temporary key change. and then it just goes on to do all kinds of cool and wonderful things. i like the parts where some instruments seem to lose the key signature.oohh geeze, there's lots of cool little touches in this.
guess: shaft.ed
who: pj, i see

2nd
Spoiler: Sir Babygirl - Haunted House
4.7 + 1.6 = 6.3
this song is great at conveying feelings. it's filled with such anxiety. i love the scream things she does. the song has a drive that conveys the need to just keep moving. and these lyrics!
guess: isis
who: chevre

3rd
Spoiler: Tashannie - 경고
4.6 + 1.0 = 5.6
this is so fun! these chords and stuff. i can't help but move to this song. feels great! delicious!
guess: davsto?????
who: hellb of course, i'm so mad at myself. that's what i thout until i got confused!!! i blame davsto.

4th
Spoiler: Derek Patton - Apes in the Rotunda
ooh, i do like some nice acoustic guitar instrumental. \:). this goes on a strong beautiful journey. YOU GO SONG!
guess: cheetory
who: isis!!!

5th
Spoiler: Miho Hitori - Formula X
cyborg made of soy sauce???? i like the production of this. i like the messy texture. all the parts come together to create a very (adjective) feeling. the singing pierces through nicely in the verses. there's lots of excellent sounds.
guess:helbe idk
who: shaft.ed

6th
Spoiler: Kali Uchis - telepatía
if she can read my mind then what am i thinking of right now huh?? sure, this is pretty nice. yeah, she's got a nice voice.
guess: schadd
who: caled, almost guessd that

6th again
Spoiler: toe - goodbye feat. Toki Asato
i think i heard this before huh. it's good. it's nice. nice spluttering of instruments. i like how the instruments slightly overpower the vocals.
guess: pj
who: oh it's cheetory

8th
Spoiler: KT Tunstall - Chimes
this is nice. i like the percussion. the beginning is cool as it gently coaxes out the instruments to go do what they need to do before the singers can come in. it's all pleasant.
guess: caled
who: so this is the davsto one.

9th
Spoiler: José González - El Invento
this is lovely. i don't have much to say about it, but it's lovely.
guess: chevre
who: oh schad?!!!

10th
Spoiler: thank - fragile ego
3.7 - .1 = 3.6
i don't know what to make of this. hmmm.
guess: MUSHSHAGANA
who: yes

10th again!
Spoiler: Roselia - Ringing Bloom
3.7 - .1 = 3.6
oh hi!!! it's you again! a familiar face round these parts.
guess: sirius
who: sirius, at least i can rely on this being sirius

and this is all that together!!

Spoiler: combined scores
12th
Tashannie - 경고
(tris: 3rd)

11th
Patty Griffin - Poor Man's House
(hellbooks: T7th)

10th
Derek Patton - Apes in the Rotunda
(hellbooks: 10th // tris: 4th)

tied 8th
Kali Uchis - telepatía
(hellbooks: T7th // tris: 6th)

tied 8th
José González - El Invento
(hellbooks: 6th // tris: 9th)

tied 6th
ROSELIA - Ringing Bloom
(hellbooks: 4th // tris: T10th)

tied 6th
toe - goodbye (ft. Toki Asako)
(hellbooks: 5th // tris: 7th)

5th
Sir Babygirl - Haunted House
(hellbooks: 11th // tris: 2nd)

4th
Hiromi's Sonicbloom - Time Difference
(hellbooks: 9th // tris: 1st)

3rd
KT Tunstall - Chimes
(hellbooks: 3rd // tris: 8th)

2nd
Miho Hatori - Formula X
(hellbooks: 2nd // tris: 5th)

1st
Thank - Fragile Ego
(hellbooks: 1st // tris: T10th)

here's what it says
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:51 pm

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

Thank is really, really good. They're actually very far left (part of CHUNK, an autonomous artistic collective in Leeds), which makes some of their more ideologically confusing lyrics fall into place a bit... most of their music is mocking themselves a bit. Except Taxidermist, which is completely uninterpretable noise-dance-punk, and Thank The Universe, which is about the crushing ennui of capitalism destroying the humans dwelling in it.

Probably my favorite song of theirs changes with the day. In my current Ambien addled state (waiting on the heavy eyelids right now) I'm REALLY feeling No Respect for the Arts, which was a contender for the song I was going to submit. Would it have done better? Worse? Too late to know. Check out the stuff off of Please, and then join me and like 2 other complete gremlins in rattling Thank's social media cage and moaning "new releaaaaasessss"
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:23 pm

Post by hellbooks »

In post 273, MUSHSHAGANA wrote:which makes some of their more ideologically confusing lyrics fall into place a bit... most of their music is mocking themselves a bit
yeah it ended up being contextualized as more of a fun horrified irony rather than some oppressor's guilt kinda line which is kind of what i read it as at first
In post 273, MUSHSHAGANA wrote:Would it have done better?
mathematically impossible at least on my end unless it's somehow makes me not guess it as yours lol
In post 273, MUSHSHAGANA wrote:Check out the stuff off of Please, and then join me and like 2 other complete gremlins in rattling Thank's social media cage and moaning "new releaaaaasessss"
will listen and rattle imminently

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”