WALRUS SQUARED (feat. me and hellbooks)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

WALRUS SQUARED (feat. me and hellbooks)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 11:59 am

Post by tris »

me and hellbooks are doing a walrus together!

• submit songs in these categories
  • i will listen to them and hellbooks will too
  • we give them scores
  • probably will be doing listening events on discord like schadd (we havent talked about this yet)
  • that's how this works!

Spoiler: should i submit for this?
yes

Spoiler: how/what do i submit?
submit music! try not to make it super long. keep it anonymous so we can be surprised. i don't know what hellbooks will do, but i will be trying to guess who'se was what, and if im right, you lose .05 points

youtube links are preferred so that we dont remember who submitted what. indicate which category each submission belongs to like on a list. you don't have to submit it all at once, and can switch it up until deadline.

send to me and/or her via pm or discord or whatever. :!: just be careful about how discord likes to preview links :!:

Spoiler: give me points!
we will each be scoring out of 5 maximum points. then, our scores will add together to make a bigger score.

i will be scoring with no consistency. i'll make it up as i go along. both my overall enjoyment and catfittedness will factor into it.

you get bonus points for being in our personal top threes. you can get the bonus for both top threes if your so lucky!!

we forgot to consult on this, but i am using emergency powers to declare that your lowest scoring submission wont count.

i dont know how hb is scoring dont ask me!

and these are the categorizations;

Spoiler: focus on tris
NOTE: in this cat i will be scoring out of 7.5 leaving 2.5 for my friend. the tables are turned in the next cat!

i was about to rework this section of describing what i like, but then something came up, so i'll edit it in soon.

Spoiler: focus on hellbooks
- i like energetic jazz and jazz fusion AND pop AND folk AND hiphop AND r&b AND electronic AND throwback alt-rock AND most other genres.
- i like korean music, but if it's a kpop song with a cheesy rap verse or one dude with a guitar you might be working at a slight deficit.
- i like music that is introductory to an interesting space, whether that's introducing me to a new musical style or idea, and so on.
- i like sad and gay songs, and relatedly songs that i can think about emotion or love to.
- i like noisy stuff & screaming is usually fine. but some region of noise is so intense as to be unpalatable. mushshagana did a great job at submitting noisy music that i like a lot in schadd's walrus
- i like cocteau twins but usually songs that are too much like cocteau twins just make me want to listen to cocteau twins.
- i like songs that manage to do a lot with a very small amount of musical ideas or samples.
- i like artsy shit. probably an important guiding fact. some people who have song gamed with me describe my music taste as "lesbian."

Spoiler: paired
TRIS: give me two songs here!! i want these songs to be ~connected~. they should fit well together.
MUST NOT BE ALREADY CONNECTED (e.g. same artist, same album, both being from homestuck, whatever)

HELLBY: some songs that interact really well -- they can be in conflict or in support of each other.
if i should listen to the songs in a certain order, for example in service of the transition between the two tracks, please let me know and i will.

Spoiler: wandering
TRIS: my mind wants to wander. it does that a lot, but this time it wants to wander with a musical guide. can your submission do that??!

HELLBY: what tris said. the song can be really thought provoking or just have a general exploratory/ambling vibe

Spoiler: space
TRIS: you know what space is right? it's got lots of stars and other things. that's what this category is about.

HELLBY: things that are explicitly about space are good but i would also be preferential to songs that are indirectly evocative of space in a creative or cool way

Spoiler: avatars
TRIS: this is my cat lena. she's yawning in this picture, but i want you to forget that. pretend that she's yowling. then go find music with that in mind.

HELLBY: i will instead be evaluating this cat based on this picture of a fox that was given to me at one point. the fox is best friends with lena

Spoiler: piano
TRIS: i enjoy the piano. some people have made some very good music with a piano! it's nice when the piano compliments whatever else is in the song. pianos have a wide range of expression.

HELLBY: songs where the piano is creatively or interestingly good. good music that is just piano will also be great but possibly not exceptional. feel free to take a risk tho.
btw, doesn't have to be a real piano. for example, that sort of fake tinny piano that is used a lot in jpop, i love that patch.

Spoiler: makes us smile
TRIS: if i smile when i listen to the song, you've succeeded. it doesn't have to be a big smile. a small smile can be very good too!

HELLBY: if it makes tris smile it will probably make me smile

final note by TRISH: i sign onto all of the things that HELLBY: added.

appendixes: , , ,
Last edited by tris on Tue May 11, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
here's what it says
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 12:09 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

In post 0, tris wrote:final note by TRISH: i sign onto all of the things that HELLBY: added.
is this your second signature?!
To be clear: quack
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 12:11 pm

Post by Chevre »

ego to not forget to submit
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 12:11 pm

Post by Davsto »

ooooo
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 12:17 pm

Post by hellbooks »

In post 0, tris wrote:submit songs in these categories
i will listen to them and hellbooks will too
note: BOTH me and trish will be submitting songs and scoring each others. however, we will not be scoring our own songs, which means we will jsut be getting half the points that other people will be getting
In post 0, tris wrote:i don't know what hellbooks will do, but i will be trying to guess who'se was what, and if im right, you lose .05 points
i'll do this too. i'll also do the thing where i drop your lowest score
In post 0, tris wrote:you get bonus points for being in our personal top threes. you can get the bonus for both top threes if your so lucky!!
a proposed bonus score breakdown was as follows:

first place: 1 bonus point
second place for tris: 0.8 bonus points
second place for hellbooks: 0.7 bonus points
third place: 0.5 bonus points

will wait for tris's third signature on that one though

i assume we're accepting submissions (PMs are preferred) at any time and maybe in the future a deadline will be articulated. the deadline will be after schadd's walrus ends?

MY SCORING EXACTMENTS:

In post 0, tris wrote:i will be scoring with no consistency. i'll make it up as i go along. both my overall enjoyment and catfittedness will factor into it.
me too. in particular i think some catfits are more multidimensional than others so there might be multiple catfit score components depending on the cat. however, the ratio for enjoyment and catfit will be the same as schadd's for me, so 3.5 of my points will be dedicated to enjoyment and 1.5 of my points will be dedicated to catfit. that way you can still use the same general strategy you used for schadd's walrus if you are a returning submitter. i will be deducting up to 0.4 points for familiarity although you can expect me to be somewhat lenient in this regard. however if you submit a song i am exceptionally familiar with such as cocteau twins i might deduct a bit more.

in summary:
5 total points from each of us.

3.5 of my points will be enjoyment
1.5 of my points will be catfit
-0.4 penalty for songs i'm familiar with
-0.05 penalty for songs i guess are yours
bonus points for placing highly and perhaps some exceptional song achievements

MY CATEGORY EXAMPLES:

cat 2, hellby
: iso me in the monthly music thread or schadd's songs thread or look at my walrus submissions
cat 4, wandering
: cha seungmin - what the flowers want to say, sulli - dorothy, ummm... like every fleet foxes song
cat 5, space
: sza - garden, tris candy clause - into the deep time one sun. i would give boards of canada - diving station like a 3.3/3 catfit score
cat 6, avatars
: terry allen - 30 years war waltz, weatherday - come in. i would give snail mail - pristine like a 3.2/3 catfit score
cat 7, piano
: snail's house - warp star (linked to the moment of the fake piano patch that i love) if you had a mind to submit an electronic song. any other aspects of this category should be kinda straightforward!
cat 8, makes us smile
: bruno pernadas - galaxy, dj sab the teenage dj - next to me, dolly parton and jimmy fallon - all i want for christmas is you cover <-- this is just like a song artist and song title that would make me smile in bemusement and confusion

cat 3, paired:
brie larson - hope has wings (barbie and the magic of pegasus ost) & cocteau twins - wolf in the breast are two songs that share the same opening riff with hilariously different results which i like to imagine are in dialogue with each other. this is kind of a ridiculously specific example so i wouldn't really expect this to be of too much guidance.
big thief - shark smile & chainsmokers - closer also have elements of correspondence and tension. they're both about fleeting intersections in a general feeling of unsettledness. concretely they both anchor themselves to like, cities (closer mentions boulder and tuscon, shark smile mentions winona and des moines). there's also some obvious interesting open conflict in pairing a widely beloved indie song with a widely behated pop song because the way that the ideas of the song are both communicated and consumed are completely different.
the weeknd - until i bleed out & cocteau twins - blue bell knoll example of a great transition, both musically (very similar harmonies) and in vibes, plus it's a last track (after hours) into a first track (blue bell knoll). they're also both these songs that portray a deep lament and the instrumental choices feel like in dialogue with each other as well

at the very least i will definitely give a decent amount of points to a song that samples another song in a really cool and unexpected way or something similar to that
Last edited by hellbooks on Wed May 05, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
why does your ferret thing have a waterfall?
your guess is as good as mine
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 12:41 pm

Post by tris »

oh yeah. i forgot to mention some of those things, thanks for remembering for me
here's what it says
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 12:42 pm

Post by Davsto »

when's deadline btw

edit oh wait i can't read the bit where u said there's not one yet lol
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 12:44 pm

Post by tris »

yeah, that was another thing i forgot to add.
here's what it says
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 12:53 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

yay
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 1:25 pm

Post by GeorgeBailey »

Yay a second chance!!!
GeorgeBailey
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 1:47 pm

Post by Isis »

walrus
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 1:52 pm

Post by PJ. »

oh no, i procrastinated too long now i wont be the first tag team walrus
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Sirius9121
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 2:09 pm

Post by Sirius9121 »

ego
余命数か月ばかりの恋に点滴で扶養する患者達
被害者の甘い期待を弔い悔悟の機会を躊躇うドクター
所以など行方知らず未知の病巣に臥す患者達
発熱が死因 然れば早期に躊躇すべきだったと知る放火犯
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: IT/ITS
Location: Everett-Wheeler Branch Q-5992-CLF3, Third Mouth of the Worm

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 2:46 pm

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

I'm in. I'm going to submit something for Tris TOTALLY BLIND, in fact. I'm going to submit NOW. That's how in I am.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 3:06 pm

Post by tris »

wow! cool!
here's what it says
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: IT/ITS
Location: Everett-Wheeler Branch Q-5992-CLF3, Third Mouth of the Worm

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 3:54 pm

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

Submission done. Don't need to know the deadline if you submit before the folks in charge manage to edit one in!

I will possibly beg to change one or two later, but I'm solid on the Tris one (even if it goes against what she says she likes afterwards! Some songs just have the "damn good music" vibe) and most of the rest. Hellbooks was harder because I'm trying to push boundaries while I got a whole massive collection of stuff I know will be an easy grand slam, and I might decide the balance struck was wrong later. And the paired category was one I might have overthought, and I might decide to go for a different pairing that's less of a risk. We'll see.
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 5:34 pm

Post by Cheetory6 »

the pair category is proving very very difficult q_q
Ariel
Ariel
none please
edited 449 times in total
Ariel
none please
Pronoun: none please

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 5:46 pm

Post by Ariel »

Probably not going to submit to this because I find the categories challenging but wanted to say I appreciate the avatars joke.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 5:53 pm

Post by tris »

In post 1, SleepyKrew wrote:final note by TRISH: i sign onto all of the things that HELLBY: added.
i don't understand what you meant by this, but SURE
here's what it says
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 5:55 pm

Post by tris »

OH i said the word sign
here's what it says
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 7:10 pm

Post by hellbooks »

In post 16, Cheetory6 wrote:the pair category is proving very very difficult q_q
i was worried about that and i guess the only thing i can say now is i feel like maybe the problem is that there are too many angles so feel free to just pick two songs that vibe well together and let our active imaginations fill in the rest? sorry!

also feel free to leave cats blank if you want (for example let one cat be dropped as your lowest score)
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun May 02, 2021 7:13 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 16, Cheetory6 wrote:the pair category is proving very very difficult q_q
my plan is to instantly think of all the other categories and then stall out the deadline waiting for a brilliant insight to appear for that one
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: shaft.ed

shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon May 03, 2021 12:42 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 21, schadd_ wrote:
my plan is to instantly think of all the other categories and then stall out the deadline waiting for a brilliant insight to appear for that one
just do one Billy Joel and one Elton John

Also I don't think i can maintain anonymity too well as I've pushed most of my fave artisist on Hellby already in the monthly music thread
Sirius9121
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon May 03, 2021 1:28 am

Post by Sirius9121 »

also uh
does the 'paired' cat count double points or no
余命数か月ばかりの恋に点滴で扶養する患者達
被害者の甘い期待を弔い悔悟の機会を躊躇うドクター
所以など行方知らず未知の病巣に臥す患者達
発熱が死因 然れば早期に躊躇すべきだったと知る放火犯
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon May 03, 2021 10:09 am

Post by hellbooks »

probably not but not sure? probably could make it do that if we all wanted that.

also: if people are struggling with the paired category how would yall feel about like a mock training event wherein you can just throw 2 any old songs at me in the thread and i will assign them a catfit score accompanied by a little writeup? would that help at all

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”