MafiaScum Idol Season 2 ~~AND THE WINNER IS...~~

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:54 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Everyone has submitted for this round. I will give you all a heads up that results will likely not be displayed until late tomorrow. Judges schedules are a little all over the place with work, school and what have you.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:41 am

Post by T-Bone »

In post 99, Haschel Cedricson wrote:In under the wire!

Full disclosure, I sang the first half of the song, took a break, and then recorded the second half. Normally I would not do this, but I keep breaking into coughing fits so that's the best I can do.
My dude I spliced 3 takes together and then 5 additional segments to re-record sections I wanted to do better.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:02 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

I am finalizing the results with the judges, they will be up either tonight or tomorrow earlier in the day. I'm not exactly sure when but I'll post as soon as I know they are ready <3
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:46 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

How about some midnight results? :O
ManateeGal
ManateeGal
She/Her
Goon
ManateeGal
She/Her
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:49 pm

Post by ManateeGal »

I knew staying up would be worth it xp
will be back eventually
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:58 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Hello contestants,

Another round done, another set of results. I would be Lion if I didn't think you all Prepared so well for this round. I have a lot of Pride in my heart for how much I hear the voice of mish mashers singing. It's like the spirit of a singing god Lives In You all. Every week we get closer and closer to seeing who wins, and I Just Can't Wait to crown a King (or Queen or other gender neutral title that's appropriate). You all really stepped up to the plate this week and delivered some incredible performances this week. You should own the Pride knowing that each of your entries Rocks.

Are you tired of my puns and obvious Lion King references? Well too bad because this week of Disney seems to be going to the Hyenas. Quite a number of you chose music from the iconic movie and they were all just delightful. You should all be proud though, even the few brave souls who ventured out of the talking animal realm.

To the person who is going home this week, I just want you to know that you are a incredibly kind and amazing individual and I'm so happy to consider you a friend in my life. Please don't see this as the end of the road, but that you got to show your great talents with all of MafiaScum! I hope you keep on singing, because at the end of the day this is just for funsies and it was a pleasure getting to hear you.

As for the winner, I want to congratulate the following person. Before I reveal them, I want to say the difference between 1st and 3rd was .133. It was an incredibly tight race. Without further ado, the winner this round is...

Lilith2013 for the 2nd round in a row. Congratultions!!!!

As for the rest of the results:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

And with this, it's time for our winner this week to choose the next round's theme. A reminder of the choices:

Song involving a color in title
Song involving an animal in title
Non-English Song
Jazz
90s
Country/Folk
Youtube Stars
Electronic/Dance/Techno
TV Theme Songs
Original Video Game Songs
Singer Songwriter

The winner will now have 24 hours to decide what the next theme will be. Best of luck!!!
ManateeGal
ManateeGal
She/Her
Goon
ManateeGal
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:12 pm

Post by ManateeGal »

whichever judge guessed i was a theatre kid, you hit the nail right on the head :dead: (in fact i still am)

congrats 2 lilith your performance was amazing!!!
will be back eventually
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:46 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

"Aw, missed winning by a narrow margin two weeks in a row."

*listens to Lilith*

"Oh, right, that makes sense."

Excellent singing and excellent harmonizing.
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:46 am

Post by Save The Dragons »

bummed to have lost but it was a lot of fun! depending on the category i may share what i would have done, good luck everyone
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:39 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

congrats lillith!!!
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:40 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

did we all google the same list of songs for ideas lmaooooooo
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:43 am

In post 110, Flubbernugget wrote:did we all google the same list of songs for ideas lmaooooooo
I briefly considered "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" so that would have been yet another Lion King.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:50 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

i was trying hellfire but i couldn't get a karaoke track I could perform over well
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:54 am

Post by InflatablePie »

I was gonna maybe try Be Prepared but then I figured Hellfire's in the same lane

also glad to see that Lilith chose
my other favorite Disney villain song
. considered it early on from my list but Hellfire was too tempting (hah; jokes)

I also considered Friend Like Me briefly, and How Far I'll Go (felt this was more effort for my range).
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:57 am

Everybody should read this Twitter thread:

lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:46 am

Post by lilith2013 »

thank you!!!

let’s go with
Non-English songs
ManateeGal
ManateeGal
She/Her
Goon
ManateeGal
She/Her
Goon
Goon

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:16 pm

Post by ManateeGal »

uh oh :eek:
will be back eventually
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:45 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Hey all,

Before I lay down the rules of the round, something has come to my attention:

1. It came to light that several users spliced their recordings this week.
2. There has never been a direct rule on splicing.
3. Voice layering has been allowed in the past.
4. Voice enhancement tricks such as reverb, autotune, pitch correction have not been allowed.

As a result a grey area has arisen and I have been asked to provide clarification on the matter. I have never expressly disallowed techniques like splicing.

The other thing to consider is that mina, toolenduso and myself are not professional music editors. None of us are prepared to run every recording we have through some fancy technique to find out if splicing was utilized nor has it really come up. In addition, a good splice will be hard to detect even with a good ear.

At this point there is nothing that suggests you can’t splice your takes. Going forward, there is not going to be a rule placed on potential splicing so if you want to, we won’t stop you. If your splice is particularly bad though, I can’t promise it won’t reflect negatively in your feedback and judge scoring…which is the same precedence that voice layering has been allowed. Proceed at your own risk if you choose this route.

The rule of not using pitch correction, auto tune, reverb or anything that specifically enhances your voice beyond what it is naturally capable of doing is still in place.

Let the judges know if this is not a clear understanding going forward.

Okay now that this business is out of the way let's get to the rules of the round!

Theme: Non-English

Exactly what it sounds like. You will perform a song entirely in a non english language. If there are a couple english words we aren’t going to be super sticklers about it (eg kpop, jpop etc) but if you aren’t sure please run it by the judges first. In fact if there are more than like 5 english words please run it by the judges and we will assess on a case by case basis.

The deadline will be at
11:59pm PDT on Tuesday, September 28th
. Yes that is about 2.5 weeks from now, but this I would consider to be one of the harder themes to learn so I'm giving you time.

DON'T PROCRASTINATE! Please use the time I have given you well. Waiting until the last minute to both learn and nail a song in a non english language is challenging and the earlier you get on it, the better. Trust me.

Best of luck everyone <3
Last edited by Malkon05 on Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:54 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Here is the submission form for round 3: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:56 pm

That all makes sense and tbh I have no intention of splicing any future songs; if it hadn't been for an unfortunately-timed illness it would have been one continuous take like the melody lines on all my other submissions. (Harmony parts I have no regrets about punching in and out because no fucking way am I gonna sit silent through the whole song while recording just so I can sing three notes on the chorus.)
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:18 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

A question was brought up by a contestant, does the song originally have to be Non-English?

After conferring with the judges, it was a very good question and our official response is yes. The song originally does have to have been done in a Foreign Language. If this is unclear, please let us know.

In the spirit of this competition, this theme was intended to be about diversity. Doing a song that was originally done in English and later redone in another language or just translating a song from English to another language feels like it defeats the spirit of what was trying to be accomplished by this theme choice and what it was intended to be.

Thank you for asking questions because it didn't even cross my mind to think of that possibility when we were coming up with theme ideas. Please let us know if you have questions, but otherwise wikipedia is a good enough resource to confirm information, that's likely what I or another judge would be using to try to answer the question haha.

Again thanks for participating each of you and we hope this clears this up.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:32 am

Post by PrivateI »

My gosh, you all did so great this round. I was like vibing in my roommate's office to avoid an echo doing a Zazu voice.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:56 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Hello contestants,

I hope your recordings are going so well. I can't wait to hear all of your lovely voices in the coming week and a half. I want to take a moment to make an announcement. I've been doing some soul searching this year and between all the surgeries and health and what I want to do with my time is starting to veer away from MafiaScum Idol. As much as I've loved hearing all of your voices and enjoyed giving hopefully helpful feedback, ultimately I have to do what is in my best interest, and I don't think that is hosting any longer.

I also noticed a decline of new participants this season which makes me think if I continue to run it, we will just continue to get repeats in future seasons. And it's not that I don't want to hear the same lovely voices season to season, but I think this contest was to signify a fun way to spend time during COVID and create a sense of positivity and I'd like to end my hosting of this contest as positively as I can.

As such, at the conclusion of this season I am going to step down as host. I don't have plans for a succession, this was all really just a fun experiment and a time to really just be positive. I also didn't want to make this announcement during results or any time that gets in the way of our current contestants which is why I waited until now to make the announcement. If anyone wants to step up and take over, they can and who knows, I may want to judge in the future, but for the time being, I just wanted people to know I'm not planning on doing a season 3 at this point in time.

Thank you for taking this experimental journey with me and I hope it's brought you as much joy as it's brought me and I thank you for respecting my decision. It's been a long couple of years.

<3
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:59 am

Post by Malkon05 »

Hello everyone,

Deadline is tomorrow. We haven't gotten any entries in so far.

I am here to announce that as of this morning PrivateI/Monty has opted to leave the competition. An extension was offered in case it would help, but per his request, he did not feel it would help, so we are proceeding forward and honoring his request.

As a result, whoever submits anything this round is automatically going to see the next round! However, since no one has communicated with us, we wanted to let you know that we are planning on being very lenient with our critiques this round. We would hate for any more quits and urge everyone else to submit something.

If you need an extension please let us know, obviously there will still be a winner this round who will get to choose the next theme, so feel free to submit your best! This is probably the hardest theme this game for quite a few people, so you are not alone in your struggles. But yes, please submit something or let us know if something is going on!

I look forward to hearing your lovely voices <3
Last edited by Malkon05 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:09 am

Post by lilith2013 »

thanks for the update, I'm planning to submit tonight if I can find time alone to record

sorry if my choice made people leave :(

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”