MafiaScum Idol Season 2 ~~AND THE WINNER IS...~~

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:11 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

I keep getting terrible coughs like the day before I plan to record. I'll see what I can hammer out tonight.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:10 am

Post by T-Bone »

I am trying to fit recording into my busy schedule tonight.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:33 pm

Post by T-Bone »

Apologies, had some mix and rend issues in the final mix that I unfortunately do not have time to correct. For some reason audacity decided to amplify some vocals weirdly.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:42 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 127, T-Bone wrote:Apologies, had some mix and rend issues in the final mix that I unfortunately do not have time to correct. For some reason audacity decided to amplify some vocals weirdly.
The Audacity of Audacity!
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:19 pm

I actually am gonna ask for that extension.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:37 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 129, Haschel Cedricson wrote:I actually am gonna ask for that extension.
Based on this request and another request, I've gone ahead and decided to extend this deadline by 2 days.

The new deadline is Thursday, September 30th at 11:59pm PDT.

If you submitted already, you have until then if you want to resubmit.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:44 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

I've decided based on a request from multiple people, to extend one final day. After this extension, unless extremely extenuating circumstances come up, I think we need to move on. Even if the recording isn't perfect, please have something submitted by this final deadline.

The new deadline is Friday, October 1st at 11:59pm PDT.

If you submitted already, you have until then if you want to resubmit.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:01 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Hello contestants, the deadline has passed and 6 out of 7 of the remaining contestants have submitted. I've reached out to the outstanding applicant and if I hear from them by tomorrow at 11 am PDT/2pm EDT I will accept the entry as this was a free round with the quit, if the entry is not received by that time, we are going to move on with two "Did Not Submits" this round. We will begin judging and results will not be available until at least that time or later.

Please let me know if you have any questions!
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:28 am

Post by Malkon05 »

Hello contestants!

Man this was a hard round. If not evidenced by two people opting to leave the competition, I think we can safely say this was the round that really tested us. However, those who did submit did incredible! On average the scores shot way up this week and it's because you are all doing wonderfully!

To the two people who opted to leave the competition, I wish you both the best of luck. I enjoyed having you both in this contest and I think you were both on a positive upward trajectory in this game. I think it is a loss to everyone in the contest, but at the same time, because you both opted to step down, everyone else who submitted gets to continue. Which means we are officially in the top 6!

As for the winner of this round, 1st and 2nd had a difference of .033 in their average scores. Without further ado I want to give a big congratulations to...

Skelda!!!!!!!!!!

Full results:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

As the winner of this round, you now have 24 hours to decide which of the remaining categories you would like to pick for the theme! You can let us know privately or post publicly what it is you want. Here are your options:

Song involving a color in title
Song involving an animal in title
Jazz
90s
Country/Folk
Youtube Stars
Electronic/Dance/Techno
TV Theme Songs
Original Video Game Songs
Singer Songwriter

Once you have chosen the theme for the round the next round will be up.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:38 am

I'm sorry, I would like some clarification re: judges comments, particularly Judge 2. I'm not sure how my song choice can be both safe and a mismatch at the same time. Last season I also got criticism for choosing "safe" songs and getting the same critique for a genre I don't normally sing is confusing. At this point I genuinely do not understand what would be considered "good" song choice.
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:49 am

Post by Flubbernugget »

wheeeeew talk about ripping off a bandaid
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:52 am

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 134, Haschel Cedricson wrote:I'm sorry, I would like some clarification re: judges comments, particularly Judge 2. I'm not sure how my song choice can be both safe and a mismatch at the same time. Last season I also got criticism for choosing "safe" songs and getting the same critique for a genre I don't normally sing is confusing. At this point I genuinely do not understand what would be considered "good" song choice.
Further clarification on the comment from judge 2 after conferring with him or her:

"The only feedback I can further provide on that comment is that if you're not naturally a rocker then it's going to come across as just a 'nice' version of that particular song which will feel like a mismatch. Therefore if it's just a nice version where you don't really go for the hardcore rock the song seems to demand then it's going to come across as just an okay or "safe" choice. Best comparison to me is that I wanted to be hit by a train with excitement, and instead I was hit by a sedan. It was good, but could have been a lot better. Specifically in the chorus the original artist really hardcore goes for it and it just felt "nice" when I heard you sing it. At the end of the day this is personal preference and I didn't want to be overly critical, and I'm sorry if by going for a "nice" comment myself I wasn't more specific in the way you needed."
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:13 pm

Post by Skelda »

Thank you judges! I know that the nasality is a problem that I struggle with, I'll keep working on it but my speaking voice is a bit nasal to begin with so it's a struggle, especially in my upper register. If you have any suggestions about how I can reduce it other than choosing songs which don't go as high, please let me know.

Hmmmm...I'm going to go with song with a color in the title I think. Final answer.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:25 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Okay contestants!

Skelda has picked "Songs With A Color In The Title." I hope this one is pretty self explanatory, but yeah if the song has a color in the title it's good to go.

So for example, if you want to do Red by Taylor Swift, all good. If you want to do Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones, have at it. I do need to set a few rules for the round.

1. The idea is to deal in colors, and I know there is a ton of colors that have shades that are also associated with other things.

For example, "Peach" is technically a color according to the color code index, however the song Peaches by The Presidents of The United States of America would not be eligible. Why you ask? Because the context in which "Peaches" is used in the song clearly refers to "eating peaches" which would therefore be more associated with the food rather than the color itself.

2. Songs that refer to multiple specific colors are fine. "Black and Yellow" by Wiz Khalifa for example or "Black and Gold" by Sam Sparro would both be acceptable songs.

3. Songs that don't refer to a color specifically but a range of colors I'm not going to allow. "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" for example, refers to a rainbow which is technically comprised of multiple colors but doesn't specifically refer to an actual color in the title itself. A rainbow, in this context, is an object being looked at. Were the song something like "The Yellow in the Rainbow" or something like that I would allow it since Yellow is the color being referred to. (Not an actual song but just highlighting what is and isn't acceptable).

If you have any questions about how this round words, please let a judge know.

I'm going to give you all 2 weeks this time so entries are officially due at
8:59pm PDT/11:59pm EDT on Saturday, October 16th
. That should be plenty of time to get something done and this should be a much easier week than last week. But as always please communicate if something comes up.

Good luck everyone!
Last edited by Malkon05 on Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:06 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

here is the submission link for this round.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:28 am

Post by Mina »

In post 138, Malkon05 wrote:Okay contestants!

Skelda has picked "Songs With A Color In The Title." I hope this one is pretty self explanatory, but yeah if the song has a color in the title it's good to go.

So for example, if you want to do Red by Taylor Swift, all good. If you want to do Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones, have at it. I do need to set a few rules for the round.

1. The idea is to deal in colors, and I know there is a ton of colors that have shades that are also associated with other things.

For example, "Peach" is technically a color according to the color code index, however the song Peaches by The Presidents of The United States of America would not be eligible. Why you ask? Because the context in which "Peaches" is used in the song clearly refers to "eating peaches" which would therefore be more associated with the food rather than the color itself.

2. Songs that refer to multiple specific colors are fine. "Black and Yellow" by Wiz Khalifa for example or "Black and Gold" by Sam Sparro would both be acceptable songs.

3. Songs that don't refer to a color specifically but a range of colors I'm not going to allow. "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" for example, refers to a rainbow which is technically comprised of multiple colors but doesn't specifically refer to an actual color in the title itself. A rainbow, in this context, is an object being looked at. Were the song something like "The Yellow in the Rainbow" or something like that I would allow it since Yellow is the color being referred to. (Not an actual song but just highlighting what is and isn't acceptable).

If you have any questions about how this round words, please let a judge know.

I'm going to give you all 2 weeks this time so entries are officially due at
8:59pm PDT/11:59pm EDT on Saturday, October 16th
. That should be plenty of time to get something done and this should be a much easier week than last week. But as always please communicate if something comes up.

Good luck everyone!
Hi, everyone! Just letting you know that the deadline has been extended by two days, until
8:59pm PDT/11:59pm EDT on Monday, October 18th
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:47 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Everyone was informed privately today, but just so it's officially out there. The deadline was extended by one more day until
8:59pm PDT/11:59pm EDT on Tuesday October 19th.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:09 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

All entries for the round have been received. Judging will now begin. Results will most likely be available tomorrow.

Also, please give a hearty congratulations to Toolenduso who is now a dad! The fact he has a newborn and is going to keep judging amazes me! Everyone give him big thanks and congrats!!!
lilith2013
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
lilith2013
she/her
Spice of Life
Spice of Life
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:15 pm

Post by lilith2013 »

aww congrats!!
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:20 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

congrats toolenduso!
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:55 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Hello Contestants,

Results are very very late tonight! The judges and I were making sure the right messages were getting conveyed, and we also had to deliberate on whether or not to use the save this week. We sadly chose to not use it, meaning we only have 2 more rounds to use it if we choose to do so.

All 6 of you have really risen to the challenge this week and the results are very very close. Between 1st and 5th there was only a .733 difference. This just means as I predicted that competition would step up and I think the feedback and scores will reflect this. You all are incredible vocalists and I applaud you for sticking with us. I hope you all feel valued and appreciated in this contest.

To the person going home this week, I'm sorry the save wasn't used on you because you did very well this week. Although you have shown incredible growth in a short amount of time, it just wasn't in the cards this time around. I hope you know you are valued and appreciated, and I personally want to thank you for being so enthusiastic each week about the themes and your submissions. It's been a complete joy seeing the talent that MafiaScum has and you are part of that. You made top 6 which is incredible. Unfortunately, this is the end of the road for you.

To the person who is the winner this round, I think you've very much earned the win you got this week and really just blue us away (see what I did there? ;) ). I am excited to see what theme you pick this round. And that person is...

flubbernugget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Full results:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

As a reminder since we are getting nearer to the end of this season, the judges' save must be used this round or next if it's going to be used, so be ready for us to step in and use that if need be. This means tha the lowest scorer in a round, could potentially be saved from going.

Congrats to our winner. You now have 24 hours to pick the next theme.

Choices:

Song involving an animal in title
Jazz
90s
Country/Folk
Youtube Stars
Electronic/Dance/Techno
TV Theme Songs
Original Video Game Songs
Singer Songwriter

The next round starts after you make your selection!
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:09 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

ahhhhhh let's gooooooo

I think I'm gonna go for Electronic/Dance/Techno
Flubbernugget
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Flubbernugget
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:10 pm

Post by Flubbernugget »

hey sorry for the track weirdness Judge 3. For some reason the instrumental part of the track rendered twice. I'll keep an eye out for that next time!
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:34 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 146, Flubbernugget wrote:ahhhhhh let's gooooooo

I think I'm gonna go for Electronic/Dance/Techno
Alright the next theme is Electronic/Dance/Techno. This requires the use of a song that falls under that category.

Here is the broad interpretation of what is or isn't okay for this round: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_dance_music

As far as specific rules go, the only really basic rule is we're looking for something that has one of those stylings listed above in the description of what the song is.

For example: Everytime We Touch by Cascada has two versions, one is not "techno", one is. We would be looking for the electronic/techno version of the song as listed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everytime ... cada_song)

The idea of this round is not to do "non techno" versions of the techno songs. So if there are "Candlelight" or "slow" versions of the song, we would not want to hear those this round. If there is a dance mix of a song that was originally not electronic, I think we're going to be pretty lenient this round as to what counts for this, but as always feel free to run your song selections by us and we will discuss it.

I don't really have any defined rules this round aside from the above, but if you have questions or want more defined parameters feel free to ask :)

The next deadline is
Wednesday, November 3rd at 11:59pm PST(or Thursday, November 4th at 2:59am EST)
. There is a holiday and I believe some elections happening around this time, so I recommend not procrastinating this round. Best of luck to our top 5!
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:50 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Here is the submission link for round 5: