WALRUSMASTER ** I Wonder what the next task will be?

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:27 pm

Post by NotAJumbleOfNumbers »

end my suffering just show the bad triangle song already
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:01 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 250, NotAJumbleOfNumbers wrote:end my suffering just show the bad triangle song already
should happen today!
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:01 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Next up is schaddington esquire the third with...traffic?

So we've obviously got to address the elephant on the highway here. Is traffic an instrument? I would argue that whatever device is sampling the traffic is the instrument as one doesn't 'play'
(in)
traffic. There's also the issue of the whole feature issue. At the moment the traffic sound has been a weak atmospheric component.
Now for the track. It's nice. Good work background work music. Like the booping sound, both the tone of it and the rhythmic pattern its laying down. Would be good music to play Mini Motorways to.

OK, tune in next week for the Triangle song...

Just kidding
Last but not least we have NotAJumble with a triangle sextet (seems a trio would have been more fitting really, but at least its divisible by three)

Right off the bat, I admire the bravery of this submission. As someone who really enjoyed their time playing on a bassline in a previous life, I very much appreciate this type of composition. I like how they are showcasing all of the different tonalities you can achieve with the humble triangle (especially the sections with the doppler effect). I also like this is really featuring the instrument. My main qualm is just that there is a reason you don't hear a lot of triangle showcases. It doesn't produce a pleasant sound, and my ears are tired of it by about the 2 minute mark (they wish they could Escape). The other downside is that since the triangle must be held, you cant do as much with complex striking patterns as you could with a drum. I'd have liked a section where the triangle is either suspended or clamped and struck two handed.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:39 am

Post by shaft.ed »

OK let me get this task wrapped up. I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed with this round. The whole reason I did this category was to get some new theramin music in my repertoire. Unfortunately, you all failed. Much sad.

I decided to rank based on two tiers. Top tier were submissions where the instruments were really
featured
. Then I placed the songs where instruments contributed.

So at the top we have
Keely
with a sweet tenor sax submission. And being the only tenor sax gains a bonus point for 12.

Next up is the wonderful instrument tenor banjo, maybe not the best piece submitted by
Haschel
. Also hitting the bonus for 11 points.

Finally, the last of the front and center featuring submissions is the clangy triangle sextet submitted by
NotaJumbleofCapitalizations
, again scoring a bonus for 10 points.

In the less featured group we start with
tris
and their simultaneously soothing and subtly uncomfortable trumpet submission for 8 points.

Next is
psyche
with the simple but please 7 point trumpet submission

Then the upbeat (as if it's never not) submission featuring a range of Japanese instruments from
Sirius
including a bonus point for 7 total

MUSHSHAGANA
is in the next place with the meditative tabla drum piece for 5 points.

Davsto
gets the tricky bonus point by doubling up and covering his bases with the tambura back up getting 5 points from the Beattles

Hellbooks
cacaphony didn't land with my moodstate, but the taepyeongso does gain a bonus point for 4 total points.

Not a fan of the midi music and the pokemon nostalgia backfired. Also no bonus points for
chevre
's 'trumpets but electronic' so the score is 2 points.

Finally
schadd
brings up the rear because traffic isn't a instrument, get wrecked, 1 point.

hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:16 am

Post by hellbooks »

I was literally considering submitting clara rockmore swan lake but if you like theremin you probably know it
why does your ferret thing have a waterfall?
your guess is as good as mine
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:44 am

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 254, hellbooks wrote:you probably know it
fine by me!
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:06 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Submit a song related to Wonderboy by Tenacious D that is not a cover or by Tenacious D. Song most evocative of Wonderboy without being a cover or being performed by any members of Tenacious D wins.

You have 1 week.

Your time starts now.

(expired on 2021-09-21 12:05:39)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9pBK8UoiAc&t=289s
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:13 am

Post by shaft.ed »

worst WALRUS cat ever
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: IT/ITS
Location: Everett-Wheeler Branch Q-5992-CLF3, Third Mouth of the Worm

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:42 am

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

Honestly, I just don't like Tenacious D. In fact, I made a vow as a child to avoid any Tenacious D related content for similar reasons to my total avoidance of Star Wars (overbearing fans who judge you for not liking things as much as they do). I've never, to my knowledge, listened to anything Tenacious D, certainly no Tenacious D that I've remembered, and I'm not about to start now.

In light of my self-imposed restriction here, I considered asking for outside help, but I decided that might be against the spirit of the WALRUSMASTER. In the end, soon, I'll probably just put my entire library on shuffle, skip a dozen times, and send whatever comes out the other side. Who knows what you'll get? Who knows what will happen? Not me, I have no idea. Then again, I might decide to make my decision based on the Wikipedia page of the band, or reviews of the song I find on Google. My restriction is on their own content, not content about them, right? We'll see what I do.
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:13 am

Post by shaft.ed »

huh
Anyone I've ever talked to about Tenacious D falls into the category of "heard of them" or "never heard of them"
I've never met anyone who is really opinionated about their music
wonder if the rabid fans are a regional/generational thing?
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:41 am

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

Probably both. I haven't heard it so much since leaving school, but from about 2004 to 2010 in suburban Western PA, it was inescapable... but the lack of people bothering me about it now won't change my mind.

Also, a small part of this is it's REALLY funny to be very opinionated about never experiencing something popular (without making any value judgements about that thing in the process) to the point it creates a minor artificial barrier to media literacy and socializing with others. Also, like, at any point someone could choose to break my streak of never having seen a Star Wars film, or heard Tenacious D, or anything else. But they all respect my incredibly silly decision to avoid popular media like it will strike me dead. (Who knows, maybe it will, I've never tried before!)
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:57 am

Post by hellbooks »

In post 260, MUSHSHAGANA wrote:Also, a small part of this is it's REALLY funny to be very opinionated about never experiencing something popular (without making any value judgements about that thing in the process) to the point it creates a minor artificial barrier to media literacy and socializing with others.
i have this with 100 gecs
MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:24 pm

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

I find with stuff that has a large hate-following like 100 gecs, it's way funnier to just proclaim you love it and boldly assert that the haters are wrong, no matter how little sense it makes. Some people get so riled up, so incredibly upset if you like 100 gecs, it's like you personally insulted their friends and/or family, and getting this response while saying things like "are you kidding, Carcass never had blastbeats like 100 gecs, The Berzerker could barely play that fast" with your face hanging out in public and everything is unrivaled hilarity. Best of all, you don't need to listen to it to do this, since it's just blanket denial of everything people say bad about this band, so you can just go back to your existing avoidance if you get bored.

I learned this strategy while defending my love of nu metal.
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:03 pm

Post by hellbooks »

i think that like my reaction stemmed originally from a mild general fear of both the 100 gecs loving camp and the 100 gecs hating camp. like me listening to 100 gecs would flip the tarot card and reveal which camp i rightfully belonged to and i was afraid of what my future held. and as time progressed i just started leaning into the comedy of it
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:18 pm

Post by Chevre »

it's like how i don't weigh myself. a) it's something that could be disheartening but I'll never know and b) people are always agape to learn that I haven't weighed myself in like 7 years

anywayz gec gec gec
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:08 am

Post by shaft.ed »

and here i am living my life oblivious of what 100 gecs is
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:07 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Seems it would be more fair to explain why I chose this particular song as a branching off point then? It's by no means my favorite song, and probably not even my favorite Tenacious D song. I guess that's part of why I chose it, because I figured it wouldn't be something many were familiar with.

I think there are just a lot of aspects to riff off of and go on a tangent with. And I figured these tangent points could allow for some discussions about how one submission fits better than another.

Wonderboy has story based lyrics, so you could go with another submission that has a story driven narrative. At the same time, the story is mostly non-sensical, so one could make their own interpretation of the lyrics and run with that. In a similar vein, the song has spoken word, so a submission with spoken word elements could easily fit. The musical elements are both generic enough that a lot of cross comparisons can be made, but distinct enough that they can be tied in with. Like the harmonies in the bridge, some of the instrumentations like the synths or the 90s era rock-band sound, and the high vocal range boomy chorus (actually the chorus is the only reason I really like this song). Finally, and astute observer would notice that I linked to a more recent performance of the song even though the original 'official video' is available. I did this because Jack Black's voice has gotten noticably better with age. I was actually surprised at how thin his vocals were in older performances of this song as compared to more recent examples. To me this is kind of unusual as the old people "getting the band back together" tours usually tend to be inferior cash grabs.
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:03 pm

Post by NotAJumbleOfNumbers »

Whoops I forgot to submit and one week has already passed please give an extension >.>
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:49 pm

Post by shaft.ed »

In post 267, NotAJumbleOfNumbers wrote:Whoops I forgot to submit and one week has already passed please give an extension >.>
i shouldnt say it, but like late is more common than on time so no biggie
Sirius9121
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:30 pm

Post by Sirius9121 »

I mean like wikipedia says its a rock band so I'm going to submit a rock song without even listening to {whatever band you chose} because their songs aren't japanese
余命数か月ばかりの恋に点滴で扶養する患者達
被害者の甘い期待を弔い悔悟の機会を躊躇うドクター
所以など行方知らず未知の病巣に臥す患者達
発熱が死因 然れば早期に躊躇すべきだったと知る放火犯
Sirius9121
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:32 pm

Post by Sirius9121 »

wait is this thing still on
余命数か月ばかりの恋に点滴で扶養する患者達
被害者の甘い期待を弔い悔悟の機会を躊躇うドクター
所以など行方知らず未知の病巣に臥す患者達
発熱が死因 然れば早期に躊躇すべきだったと知る放火犯
shaft.ed
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
shaft.ed
dem.agogue
dem.agogue

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:29 am

Post by shaft.ed »

Sorry real life has hit me pretty hard with stuff to do
I should be able to get the next round moving next week

I'm debating removing the last round altogether since hardly anyone responded
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:53 am

Post by hellbooks »

In post 12, Cheetory6 wrote:james acaster
i warched his 2019 special a few days ago and it was like tossing a sack of my thoughts and anxieties into a pit of salt. it was really good though

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”