beat me at dominion !!!!!

This forum is for playing games other than Mafia and Mafia variants.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:31 pm

Post by tris »

also, defiled shrine
here's what it says
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:49 am

Post by Isis »

I'm sus of this alleged triple Isis victory
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:50 am

Post by Isis »

I think I've bought a curse when I had a card that required me to trash cards, like altar, but there was some special reason I couldn't buy copper.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:03 pm

Post by schadd_ »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-8ZyVzPWgo

did an epic commentary for the first game of a match i played for the epic 2021 championship thingy. then my brother like busted in the door and i didnt have somewhere i could record. anyway i won the match. so i made it to the round of uhhh 64 now in the bracket. i think my next opponent up is like one of the best players so that might be as far as i get. in any case i'll keep you all posted
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: shaft.ed

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:54 pm

Post by schadd_ »

tomorrow at 2pm central us time ((expired on 2021-10-02 14:00:00)) i will play my next round in the epic championship. i will be playing against someone called jonts, who is a better player than me. you can tune in on dominion.games to spectate, and i'll also probably have a commentary video. maybe even like a full one.
free darius mccollum

tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:33 pm

Post by tris »

that's a cool version of tomorrow where it is today actually and in the past
here's what it says
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:12 am

Post by tris »

here's what it says
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:56 am

Post by schadd_ »

In post 29, schadd_ wrote:tomorrow at 2pm central us time ((expired on 2021-10-02 14:00:00)) i will play my next round in the epic championship. i will be playing against someone called jonts, who is a better player than me. you can tune in on dominion.games to spectate, and i'll also probably have a commentary video. maybe even like a full one.
i ended up winning this. here is the video.

the second game was possibly the most interesting one. it involved playing rats as though they were mice, as shown in the image from the previous post. brilliantly my opponent and i both missed what is probably the most important mechanic on the board, which is the fact that you can play bridge troll using way of the mouse & because of how it says "while this is in play" you end up getting its cost reduction bonus anyway.
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:59 am

Post by schadd_ »

i will be playing my next match against a player called kazumaru0828, who i haven't encountered before i believe but is also apparently better than me. this will happen tomorrow night at 10:00pm central us (or sunday at noon JST). i understand that this person plays pretty slowly so you might be able to show up several hours after that time and still catch some of the match.
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:51 pm

Post by schadd_ »

lord ok i messed it up again bc i was able to consider that adapting to japanese time changes the date as well just now but i wasnt able to realize that when i was scheduling with this person. So i will be playing in 10 minutes
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:31 pm

Post by schadd_ »

i lost 0-4 so thats done. took us 2 and a half hours to play the 4 games......... weary emoji. didnt record anything bcos it was kind of short notice and i was eating dinner and i was like thinking about running out of steam being a possibility. i might have already been running out of steam, or at least i don't really think i got a lot out of the extra time i had spent thinking about things relative to how it usually goes. i probably made mistakes at a slightly higher rate than the match before although i think there was also just tricky kingdoms this time.

recap:
Spoiler: game 1
i think there was not a way i could have hoped to win this. the game started with me getting 5/2 (not even 2/5 where i can buy fisherman !!!) and my opponent got 3/4. this was a game where sauna and avanto are really the strongest thing and nearly the only way to draw, play extra actions and trash. so we both had in mind to try to be the first to get 3 out of the 5 saunas and avantos

i opened with a jester and nothing else, my opponent took a sauna and a silver. i thought about opening sauna + nothing (would just make me feel too distraught) or catapult + nothing, both of which i could hear an argument as being better than a jester. but i liked jester because it had an outside chance of flipping a sauna which i would thought would even put the game in my advantage. it just flipped coppers though, which is like so mild & my opponent quickly got to a point where they could just trash as many coppers as they would choose to. anyway they got 3 saunas and 3 avantos. for what it's worth i think they did a good job playing from ahead, following a principle of monitoring their opponent's deck & refusing to buy provinces as long as it could be avoided

Spoiler: game 2
really tricky and long game, though i think there was relatively little bifurcation as to what i did vs what my opponent did. i have to assume they played better - i felt that i got a little more lucky with what i got to trash with my trading post at turns 5-8 ish but then it felt like my advisors weren't working out well shortly thereafter. i think the big difference in how we played was that i got a couple golds (just as something valuable to gain with pilgrimage) and they skipped that. maybe a big mistake i made was that on my last turn i let my opponent take a pile-out to win next turn, which i could have avoided by declining to gain a golem, but i also just felt like i would have been poorly off if i didn't take the golem just with how things were going & my opponent probably wasn't assured to be able to get the win they did.

instructive as to the shittiness of golem. both of us bought villages, partially because there's just a possibility that golem hits only cards that don't give +1 action back and the village makes that less of a problematic possibility. which means that the village effect that golem has was kind of useless. and there was a handful of times for each of us that we couldn't make use of all the golems bc the last few cards of the deck were starved of actions. also hitting trading post was always spooky. so it would have been comparably good to just have a laboratory that costed 4 + potion.

Spoiler: game 3
fast one, ended in 9 turns. i prioritized getting lurkers and menageries sooner, and my opponent focused on pixies. i wanna say they were a little lucky to get the pertinent boons really fast (in particular two really early and good will o wisps + some card draw ones) and they were just able to get a large amount of lost cities really fast with way of the rat + remodel/remake, which then sort of made my menageries not really worthwhile (i drew extra coppers with them bc of kazumaru's lost cities)

Spoiler: game 4
the winning strategy ended up being pretty simple but also probably the clearest example of my opponent just playing better than me, which is maybe a sign the game was indeed starting to get away from me by this point. i got to open priest + stockpile, my opponent had to do priest + embargo. i took an early talisman, and then my opponent embargoed stockpiles which i kind of saw coming but also didn't think very hard about how that would affect my plan. i got 5 chariot races pretty quickly, while my opponent got an exploration and 2 extra priests. and they kept buying weddings, which allows you to still get the exploration bonus. so they trashed a lot and got a bunch of golds, which then made it really hard for my chariot races to win. and that was kind of it.
free darius mccollum

tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:33 pm

Post by tris »

Spoiler: WARNING; no schadd
here's what it says
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:03 pm

Post by Isis »

did stockpile get embargoed before you even bought the first copy?
"Well, I..."
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:52 pm

Post by T3 »

me playing dominion:
learn it from a friend
be able to beat everyone in my friend group
play online
have my rating hover around 35
be annoyed that i'm bad
beat a 55 rated player
be happy
remember that people like schadd exist
be less happy
hellbooks
hellbooks
She
Goon
hellbooks
She
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: She

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:38 pm

Post by hellbooks »

fun fact: challengers have been flocking on a daily basis since Aug 29 and schadd has just been on an unshakable winning streak.
why does your ferret thing have a waterfall?
your guess is as good as mine
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:18 pm

Post by schadd_ »

let's look at the games isis won last august. for some reason i cant load the old games to get the detailed picture of the kingdom

Spoiler:

this one was actually pretty tricky. i judged that this wasn't a sort of game where i could hope to draw my whole deck all the time, because gear isn't good at drawing a lot of cards (but the setting-aside is great for other things), the villages are also fairly slow for that (fishing village doesn't draw you a card when you play it, which actually has a pretty strong effect) and theres just like a bunch of things that gain curses and golds. i still got a bunch of fishing villages and gears because it's good to have both of them, and i thought soothsayer would just be a good thing to play a bunch of times. it seemed like i was too slow with the soothsayers though, which makes sense because the arrangement i had wasn't very good at getting $5 early on (maybe i hit $6 ish with baron, and instead chose to buy gears & fishing villages which might have been wrong). i remember feeling like the opponent-card-draw effect of soothsayer would have ended up being nearly equal to the cursing, which isnt what you want.

it doesn't show it here but isis bought a bunch of reaps. i imagine that i might have started playing soothsayers at just the right time to keep her momentum with reap going for a long time (each reap you buy helps you buy reap again the next turn, although sometimes it takes a little bit of assistance to keep the train going). all in all it was a weird sort of game that was hard for me to evaluate ㅡ if you were to try to make, like, a cost benefit analysis of the two decks compared against each other i wouldn't know how to do that since the effect that any card has is pretty tenuous. definitely made me think a little higher of reap.

Spoiler:

bizarro game. i barely remember what we did differently - if you look at the endgame stats here, the decks we finished the game with have only a few differences. i got more bridge trolls, one more bandit camp (yes that sticks out to me), and she got more royal blacksmiths (which sounds correct. idk why i only have one. maybe i got rid of them?). oh also she has 8 provinces and i have 7 duchies.

two cards that are important to understand for this game are situated at the bottom, conveniently. orchard passively gives both players 4 victory points each time they have 3 actions of a kind (there's no bonus for 6 or higher). populate is a $10 thing you buy that just gives you one of each action card. these are good friendsㅡtheoretically if you bought 3 populates that would be worth 40 points, with all these action cards to boot. but there's also so many other moving parts, like each action card is relevant and you get all of them. i remember getting bridge trolls early on, and maybe kind of under-valuing populate because you end up with more things that need villages than villages. note that bridge troll doesn't help you to buy populate because it's not a "card". anyway very hard to make actual analysis about this game rather than just state facts about it lol.

Spoiler:

i think this game is the one where it was most clear i just did the wrong thing. specifically i was just very confident for some reason that watchtowers weren't a strong card here, which was like wrong. they were actually quite good. the thing about the "draw until you have 6 cards" effect is that it makes it hard to make use of e.g. large amounts of treasures, like you can get from wayfarer, but there was an extended period of time in advance of that where i refused to get watchtower for no reason which made me do everything considerably slower. weirdly that included trashing my starting cards, in fact it felt like that was even the deciding factor (i think). you just get to trash your cards faster if you are also drawing them faster. i also got a relic which i realized wasn't very useful when your opponent is playing watchtower (the "-1 card" effect is just kind of nullified by continually drawing until you hit a certain point). my opponent also got to stay in a state where her watchtowers were good for a long time because she could ditch provinces with ritual (usually having victory cards stuck in your hand also makes the draw-up-to-6 effect weaker)
free darius mccollum

mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:20 am

Post by mallowgeno »

I'm down to get my butt kicked by you Shadd if you'll play me sometime
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:18 am

Post by tris »

i played schadd six more times and somehow won two of them so i still have a 1/3 record which is way higher than it should be
here's what it says
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:56 am

Post by Infinity 324 »

there's always a point in this game where it feels too early to buy provinces but it also feels like i can't really buy anything that will actually make my deck better
Show
new GTKAS

<3 you are valid

plural system, we may or may not sign
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:27 pm

Post by Isis »

Ikr
"Well, I..."
Invisibility
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he or she

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:40 pm

Post by Invisibility »

I like Dominion
Invisibility is actually AWESOME!
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:51 pm

Post by tris »

me too
here's what it says
Invisibility
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Invisibility
he or she
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: he or she

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:12 pm

Post by Invisibility »

have any of you played the anime one with maids
Invisibility is actually AWESOME!
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:39 am

Post by Isis »

I've played tanto cuore.

I prefer heart of crown because I find the narrative flavor a bit less cringe.
"Well, I..."
Infinity 324
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Infinity 324
they (pl.)
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they (pl.)

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:04 am