MS Iron Chef: Battle Potato - Whose Cuisine Reigns Supreme?

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
brighteningskies
brighteningskies
Goon
brighteningskies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:45 am

Post by brighteningskies »

I'm gonna make something on the weekend, posting here so I can't chicken out!
Wenn Sie dies lesen, sind Sie zu nah
brighteningskies
brighteningskies
Goon
brighteningskies
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:16 pm

Post by brighteningskies »

Potato dumplings
!

peel some potatoes (I used maris piper variety)

chippity chop, rainbow knife optional

you might die from raw potatoes, so good idea to boil them

[Do The] Mashed Potatoes

Add to a big bowl some salt, pepper, 5-6 tablespoons of flour, pinch of nutmeg or two if you're into that, add mash to bowl! Stir until all mixed. Add a splish splosh of milk until there's a dough-like consistency.

Swear colourfully while you roll the potato dough into lil balls or if you're feeling sensible, wait for the hot potato mix to cool then roll.

Boil them in a pot of hot water until the float to the top like potato flavoured buoys

Make a stew to go with your dumplings! I don't have an exact recipe for this because I like to cook stews with the Force but I cooked beef mince, garlic and vegetables, added stock, tomato puree, worcestershire sauce (or your preferred form of umami goodness) together. I added a bayleaf and various dried herbs: basil and lemon thyme I think? downsides of hanging fresh herbs to dry in your kitchen is that they aren't labelled...

Fry some breadcrumbs in a bit of butter until they get all crispy & cronchy

Serve the dumplings next to/on top of the stew, top with crispy & cronchy breadcrumbs!
Wenn Sie dies lesen, sind Sie zu nah
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:35 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

That looks wonderful, and I am definitely down to try cooking some potato dumplings. Thank you for submitting!
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:14 am

Post by xofelf »

You ever have one of those days where you're hungry, but your level of effort or physical ability is pretty much nothing? Well, let me bring you my usual potato dish for these days. I call it:
Depression Potatoes
! The best part is there's so much versatility baked right in(no baking will be necessary)!

Step One: Get together all your various potato making ingredients like so:
If you have more ability, going actual potatoes is highly encouraged, but not necessary! So Instant it is today. And if you're making instant or normal mashed potatoes, you need milk and butter. You'll notice that there is corn hanging about, this is the key ingredient aside from potatoes for this dish. If you have them and feel up to it, you can also toss in things like pieces of ham or hot dogs, for that extra oomph. For spices and flavour we have garlic salt, parsley, onion powder, and black pepper. There's also some parmesan. Measurements on these are difficult in that I never measure, I just put stuff in until it tastes how I like, so play around with that I guess? You can also try tossing in things like onion salt, or Italian seasoning for different flavours if you want.

Step Two: Put all these things minus the potato flakes into a pot on your stove, and because you're going to do this fast and will be hanging around the stove, turn it all the way up!
The number one rule of heating milk on a stove is, you may as well watch it at all times because milk is a bitch and likes to boil over in seconds if you aren't watching. I like to take the cooking time to do some of my physical therapy exercises. These involve putting my hands on the counter, and kicking a leg behind me as far back as it will go while extended, and alternating legs 30 times each. And also from that same position, kicking legs off to the side as far up as they will go while extended and feet still pointing towards the counter alternating 30 times each. By the time you get through both sets of these, the butter will be melted in the pot, and the actual cooking part is done.

Step Three: Pour all the stuff from a pan into a bowl
Wow, so easy!

Step Four: Now put in the necessary amount of potato flakes
I happen to like my potatoes a little on the smooth and saucy side, so I put slightly less than the recommended measurements from the box. But now you mix those suckers up til potatoes look properly blended up.

Step Five: Now get some shredded cheese of your choice and plop that in
It'll be hot enough the cheese will melt, and who doesn't like melty cheesy potatoes?

Step Six: Decide whether or not you want to deal with washing a different dish or if today is a day that eating straight from the serving bowl appeals
Rainbow Spoon is not necessary but highly encouraged. But there you have it, a fairly easy fairly filling actually have cooked something on a stove dish for those days when you know you gotta eat something but you only have so much effort to spend in the kitchen. Also gives you that boost of accomplishment you may be looking for. It's also not bad as a side dish for a full meal. The sky's the limit!
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:22 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

Flim donnt has potate wut do? Cann meh uze yohgurht insteade? For scienc ov coarse muah <3
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:34 pm

In post 29, Malkon05 wrote:Flim donnt has potate wut do? Cann meh uze yohgurht insteade? For scienc ov coarse muah <3
There is literally one rule, and it states that you must use a potato.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:23 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Oh I have a thing but I have to edit it because I did video..

Maybe tomorrow
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:23 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Also I love the submissions so far <3
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:43 pm

Post by xofelf »

You could just do the video! Up to you :)
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
caledfwitch
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
caledfwitch
they/them
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by caledfwitch »

last minute potato entry, my family is hosting a surprise dinner party so i decided to make a recipe ive been dying to try forever: j. kenji lopez-alt's best roast potatoes

first i boiled my potatoes (the water also has 2 tbsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of baking soda)

Spoiler: potatoes in pot

then while that is happening you must infuse the roasting oil with chopped garlic and rosemary, then strain out the top so you have perfectly crispy toppings for later

Spoiler: oil being infused and dry seasonings

after the potato is cooked thru you drain it in preparation for the rough toss

Spoiler: boiled potato

next you must roughly toss the potatoes with the infused oil until there is a little mashed potato-y crust on the outside. this by itself is also quite delicious

Spoiler: potatoes pre oven

then you bake without touching on a baking sheet at 450 degrees f for 20 mins. after that you flip and continue to bake at 15 min intervals or whenever all sides are golden brown

j kenji lopez alt is a genius. this is quite possibly the best roast potato i ever make. i highly recommend everyone try it
P.S.!!! the youtube comments were very helpful: to prevent potato stickage to the baking sheet you must preheat the oven WITH the baking sheet still inside. the sheet will be hot and the potato will sizzle a little when it hits the sheet but u will not have inconvenient stickage
must i have a gender.. is it not enough for me to simply b kinda hot sometimes

2x mafiascum member of the month !! wowowowee !!!
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:41 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 30, Haschel Cedricson wrote:
In post 29, Malkon05 wrote:Flim donnt has potate wut do? Cann meh uze yohgurht insteade? For scienc ov coarse muah <3
There is literally one rule, and it states that you must use a potato.
Flim sadface :(
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:43 pm

Post by xofelf »

I think it's time for you to do Science with a potato.

Also, Caled, those look so fucking good!!!!
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:41 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Alright! Hopefully coming in under the wire is this...uh...masterpiece?

Just, watch and enjoy.

*note that this is my first time with the mic so I scratched in a few places. My apologies!
**also note that the main chunk of video would not load in my editor so what I was going to trim got left in and well, it's a video in 3 parts. You have a real life Ari and I have done 0 editing to it... *cringe*

Interesting things to note:
This was really easy, as you can see!
As it cooled, it actually solidified nicely and was far easier to eat.
I noticed that the Bacon flavouring was lost in the mix, but the Sour Cream & Green Onion flavouring came out very strong! I was pretty impressed by that!
Texture was legit that of boxed mashed potatoes but with a unique flavour opportunity. I mean, imagine if I'd done All Dressed! :O

Oh, and here's the dish after some cooling!

- Jingle
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:54 pm

Post by Who »

Does all the washing up and ingredient gathering for xofelf's depression potatoes seem like way too much effort? Were you patient zero for covid 19 as a young child, forever removing your sense of smell, causing you to seek recipes which don't rely on spices? Try
Covid Potatoes

Preheat the oven to 400ish degrees. Really anything between 375-450 is fine, I generally cook something else in the same pan and base the cooking temperature on that rather than the potatoes.
Spoiler: Take a potato

Spoiler: Cut it up

Now put it in a pan. I used a cast iron skillet, but really anything which can go in the oven is fine. If you do not want to have to do any dishes, coat the pan in aluminum foil.
Spoiler:

Spoiler: Spread some mayonnaise on the potato slices

That was too much mayonnaise. Oh well.

Cook it for like 20 minutes, take it out, add some kind of meat/protein. Cook that for another 30 minutes. (This part depends on what kind of meat/protein you add. The potatoes themselves should cook for 40-60 minutes depending on temperature)
Spoiler:

Spoiler: Put on a plate, add vegetables
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:34 am

And with that, it's time to vote! Please make your way to the poll in this thread.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:36 pm

Oops, the deadline for this ended when I was doing a bunch of family stuff and then I forgot to go back and announce the results.

At any rate, with a commanding victory the very first Iron Chef winner is
brighteningskies
! They have won the people's ovation and fame forever, as well as the right to choose the theme ingredient for the next contest. That contest will launch November 1, so brighteningskies, please PM me the ingredient before then.

Congratulations again, and thank you all for participating in the first contest.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:11 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

I was thinking of bumping this today, thanks for beating me to it! :)

Looking forward to the new ingredient!
- Jingle

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”