[CASUAL] January Movie Challenge

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

[CASUAL] January Movie Challenge

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:21 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

Goal: Watch as many movies as you can during the month of January.

Rules:
  • Each feature film (over 40 minutes) watched counts as 1 point.
  • 80 minutes of short films or miniseries/TV episodes counts as 1 point.
  • Movies must be watched in full, at single-speed, and one at a time
  • Movies, miniseries, TV episodes, video essays, documentaries, and negotiably others would be counted
Challenge runs from 12:01 am EST on 1/1/22 to 11:59pm EST on 1/31/22.

Rank
Participant
Count
1Malkon0560
2Haschel Cedricson36
3Kublai Khan31
4xofelf21
5Porkens16
6VashtaNeurotic15
7Nero Cain7
8Galron6
9GeorgeBailey5
10AcRv4
11T31
Last edited by Kublai Khan on Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:55 am

Post by GeorgeBailey »

Are we allowed to do like, little mini reviews or do you want just a simple "i watched X"
GeorgeBailey
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:26 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 1, GeorgeBailey wrote:Are we allowed to do like, little mini reviews or do you want just a simple "i watched X"
Mini reviews are encouraged but not required.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:46 am

Post by xofelf »

Oh it's just like "hey did you watch stuff? great!"
I'll admit I was like slightly excited thinking Guess the Movie by the Screenshot was back, but I don't hate this. I already tend to track stuff on Letterboxd, so maybe I'll remember to hop in for this here.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:11 am

Post by Ythan »

Hm ego
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:02 am

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

1 question really, what counts as a film and why is the cutoff 40 minutes vs the 80 minutes for a tv show? I assume video essays count for nothing.
George Bailey
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:21 am

Post by xofelf »

No Vash, video essays count for NOTHING,
just like in the real world
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:24 am

Post by xofelf »

I also got a question, what happens if you happen to watch a ton of things with someone you know is already participating here, and thus likely to end up having similar amounts of points? Does that me co-winners?
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:37 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 5, VashtaNeurotic wrote:1 question really, what counts as a film and why is the cutoff 40 minutes vs the 80 minutes for a tv show? I assume video essays count for nothing.
Yeah, the question of "what is a film?" is an interesting one because technology is certainly changing the definition. It can no longer be defined as "must have been released in a theater" anymore. So that opens it up to tv movies, straight to video/DVD, and streaming options. Then there are anthology series which can be a series of self-contained movies (Masterpiece Theater, Twilight Zone, Black Mirror). And there are tv series that can be considered an extended cinematic experience (an episode of 2010's Sherlock is basically an entire Sherlock Holmes movie). I can't limit it to having a narrative story, because plenty of avant-garde movies, documentaries, and yes, video essays might be discounted. So mostly everything counts as long as it has a moving image.

However... making it as open as "anything with moving images" does create a slight problem as it allows stuff like Zoom conferences, video games, or self-made videos to be allowed. So let me restrict it a little by saying it must be non-interactive and published in a format available to the public. Which might still have some grey areas, but I guess we can deal with those issues if they arise.

As far as the time limit goes, I do want to encourage movie-watching over anything else. So you can still watch episodes of TV, but you'd have to watch 3 episodes of a 30 min tv show to equal to 1 point.

I guess I should also add in the rules that you must watch it in full (bailing at the ending credits is ok), at single-speed, and only one movie at a time.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:41 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 7, xofelf wrote:I also got a question, what happens if you happen to watch a ton of things with someone you know is already participating here, and thus likely to end up having similar amounts of points? Does that me co-winners?
Sure, you can both participate and potentially both win. There is always going to be a possibility that one of you might watch something extra on the side to off-set your point totals.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:55 pm

Post by Ythan »

What about repeats?
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:56 pm

Post by Ythan »

Specifically what if I watch Mars Attacks in English and in Martian?

(You can watch it in Martian btw)
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:27 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

Repeats are perfectly fine!

And does "in Martian" mean that it's all in "ack! ack! ack!"? I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with that.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:32 pm

Post by Ythan »

That's it exactly I can't believe I haven't watched it yet.
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:23 am

Post by GeorgeBailey »

Bee movie on repeat
GeorgeBailey
lendunistus
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
lendunistus
he/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:12 am

Post by lendunistus »

I’ll have to start accelerating the process of getting my DVD rips onto my Jellyfin server
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:54 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

1. House of Dracula (Erle C. Kenton-1942)

The was from when the Universal Monsters franchise was lurching to an end. No more new monsters, just re-using the same old classic monsters (Dracula, Wolfman, Frankenstein's Monster) and coming up with excuses for why they are all converging. There are some good parts, though: a spooky discordant version of Moonlight Sonata plays as a nurse is enthralled, Lon Chaney Jr. is too good for the material, and I kinda liked the scientific explanations of the monster's ills, even if they made no sense.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:44 pm

Post by xofelf »

1) The Matrix Resurrections(2021)

I wasn't sure what I was going to get from a Matrix reboot, and I gotta say, I genuinely enjoyed what I got. It could have been better, but I had such a good time with what I was given. It was a nice way to start the new year.
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:45 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

1) The Matrix Resurrections(2021)

Best movie I've seen all year.
George Bailey
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey
He/Him
GeorgeBailey
GeorgeBailey

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:37 pm

Post by GeorgeBailey »

1. Brazil (1985)

Spoiler:
So, I have a huge list of movies I've always wanted to watch, and this contest is perfect to strike some of those off! First up was Brazil.

This is probably the most bizarre movie I've ever seen. There's Icarus fighting a samurai, face-stretching cosmetics, SHOE HATS, magnifying glasses in front of EVERYTHING, Stone Golems(?) and overly complicated phones. I honestly love seeing these old sci-fi movies try and predict what the future is like. There's these phone with 15-input jacks that just looks hilarious, gives a real star-trek feel. Very Cassete-futurism.

It's pretty much if 1984 was a dark comedy. There's a lot of hilarious scenes with very dark undertones. There's one where they're having a terrorist attack in a restaurant, but the citizens are so used to them that they just sort of carry on their meal. The constant focus on a inefficient and overly complicated bureaucracy reminded a lot of the book The trial in a way. It was really funny but a lot of it you felt bad for laughing.

The set design is awesome, there's a lot of colorful and interesting scenes. My favorite scenes were probably the dream sequences, and the one scene where someone was holding a flag that says "CONSUMERS FOR CHRIST", which probably made me laugh the hardest out of everything.

My only gripe is the romance and some of the story. The romance was super forced and telling someone "I love you because I saw you in my dream" is one of the creepiest things to ever hear. It also felt like it threw a lot of ideas around that never really turned into anything substantial. Robert De Niro was great in this though <3.

I think I'd recommend this film to pretty much anyone. 4/5.

GeorgeBailey
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:41 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 17, xofelf wrote:1) The Matrix Resurrections(2021)

I wasn't sure what I was going to get from a Matrix reboot, and I gotta say, I genuinely enjoyed what I got. It could have been better, but I had such a good time with what I was given. It was a nice way to start the new year.
I haven't seen it yet and I've heard mixed reviews. How would you rank it against the other movies in the Matrix quadrology?
In post 19, GeorgeBailey wrote:My only gripe is the romance and some of the story. The romance was super forced and telling someone "I love you because I saw you in my dream" is one of the creepiest things to ever hear. It also felt like it threw a lot of ideas around that never really turned into anything substantial. Robert De Niro was great in this though <3.
I was going to ask which ending you saw, but based on this I think I know. I think you'd prefer the other one.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:57 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

2. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger-1943)

A very British and surprisingly slightly subversive epic romance. The intent is impressibly ambitious. Released during WWII, it chronicles the life and times of Clive Candy, a career soldier. After a lifetime of fighting in the Boer War and WWI, Candy eventually learns the lesson that the honorable "Gentleman's Rules of Warfare" are a thing of the past as the British must do everything they can to defeat the Nazis, an enemy without honor. As interesting as that war-time message is, it's just padded with so much melodrama and British stuffiness that the 2h 43min runtime is just way too much.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:36 pm

Post by xofelf »

In post 20, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 17, xofelf wrote:1) The Matrix Resurrections(2021)

I haven't seen it yet and I've heard mixed reviews. How would you rank it against the other movies in the Matrix quadrology?
I heard someone say that if you liked the sequels, then you'd like the reboot, and I think that holds up. Additionally also if you liked Neo and Trinity's romance. If you didn't, then you probably won't have a good time with it. Also, I did enjoy how many actors from the sense8 series were in the movie. I don't know that i'd say it was good, but it was definitely fun. I enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it was better than many of the movies, but I don't think it was significantly worse either. Idk, it just felt solidly "yeah, I can get behind these choices." It's not as good at the first at all, but i think part of that is just you already know what to expect with this, and one of the things the original had going for it was nothing was quite like it yet.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:39 pm

Post by Ythan »

The world desperately needs more cyberpunk movies.
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:04 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

2. How to Train Your Dragon (2010)

I was excited to learn how to train a dragon, then I learned dragons aren't real. 1/5
George Bailey

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”