Newbie 1920: North America [Night 2]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. It is suggested, but not required, that you play your first game here. Signups Here
scum reading
Goon

Pronoun: He

Post Post #600  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:35 pm

Putting targets in between those brackets usually suggest first to last check and in town reads it is used for strongest to weakest town read, you get my point. By putting him last he indirectly influences the investigative to go for the first ones that were even more active and suspicious at that time, thanks for telling me about the post though, now you’re just helping me confirm my reads and clear any doubts

Persivul
His Majesty the King

Post Post #601  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:35 pm

In post 593, scum reading wrote:Damn it

There are different color skins. Keep alts in different windows using different skins. Much harder to slip up that way.

scum reading
Goon

Post Post #602  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:37 pm

By skins you mean those board style things like mafSilver ?

Skellen
Goon

Pronoun: She

Post Post #603  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Why even using an alt? You are here for just like a month.

scum reading
Goon

Post Post #604  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:38 pm

I intend to play on that account, but I want to finish the games on this one as I’m in a few on-going games, plus, it helps people keep track of ISO, that’s why I don’t want to switch to that account and play with it in this game

Persivul
His Majesty the King

Post Post #605  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:38 pm

In post 602, scum reading wrote:By skins you mean those board style things like mafSilver ?

I guess. I have like a tan background. I don't do alts, but once I did a hydra and used black or something for it to avoid slips.

Zeito
Townie

Post Post #606  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:20 pm

I'm VT. Writing up my reads now.

chennisden
Goon

Post Post #607  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:30 pm

In post 559, scum reading wrote:Chennis, what do you think about ASC?

If in LyLo I am comfortable with lynching ASC

However, the fact he hasn't been CCed yet makes him more towny by mechanics, which I think does not take precedence over reads.

chennisden
Goon

Post Post #608  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:31 pm

In post 575, scum reading wrote:If you guys scum read me, then vote for me. Are you waiting for town approval? You know you can’t vote me after you said “If anybody lynches scum reading I’ll throw a rant after the game” or some shit like that. I don’t trust you anymore, but for now chennis is scum 100000% and I’m not moving my vote.

Oh, 1 more thing. If you dive in chennis’ meta, as a scum he was scum read for his first 4 posts. Have you seen his entrance this game? No hello’s, no nothing, straight up answering the questions so he won’t be perceived as scum. He tried to correct that and not say anything that would point to him being sus.

That's NAI - you think town wants to be scumread?

chennisden
Goon

Post Post #609  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:35 pm

In post 587, scum reading wrote:Town block : ASC, Skellen, Zeito, persivul, scum reading

Don’t you dare go at each others necks after I get nked , you have my reads

Weren't you throwing shade at Skellen, like, a couple of posts before this?

chennisden
Goon

Post Post #610  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:36 pm

In post 580, scum reading wrote:Lynching reminder before I go to sleep : chennis > urap (if game doesn’t end) > persi

other than where I am in this I kinda agree

chennisden
Goon

Post Post #611  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:37 pm

Other than myself I don't see this as pushing an easy mislynch - certainly URAP is not one.

u r a person 2
Mafia Scum

Post Post #612  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:56 pm

In post 572, scum reading wrote:Is this lylo though? I specifically said town benefits from my reads later on in the game

I meant it reminds me of you, especially as you were doing lylo in that game.
8-4 0-1

u r a person 2
Mafia Scum

Post Post #613  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:57 pm

In post 573, scum reading wrote:Not to hold the game hostage or anything, I’m willing to do a 1 for 1. I don’t like your analysis on the ASC slot, urap, why assume the doc will be killed? If this is the setup it would make no sense for them to kill the doc. I’m also suspicious of you for attempting to throw shade on ASC, but we’ll talk about that.

We agree on this? what?
8-4 0-1

chennisden
Goon

Post Post #614  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:58 pm

Scum, Persivul/I were the ones who assumed doc would've died

u r a person 2
Mafia Scum

Post Post #615  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:00 pm

In post 586, Skellen wrote:
In post 570, u r a person 2 wrote:okay now that post reminds me of your newbie scum game - esp the lylo phase

You basically did it already in #, but I have no time to read another game, so can you break it down and explain where your regress in your townread on SR is coming from? It's quite noteworthy considering that you set up the meta protection shield around SR (along with chennis, who ditched his metaread quickly however) saying his plays are different like day and night (GW called me out on that when I explained my read on SR). The evolution from strong town to pinging you to scum happened quickly. Why is his frustration/impatience to push chennis (vs himself) now scummier than on Day 1 when he was basically doing the same with being frustrated with the game state and aggressively pushing into all directions? Not that I am fond of ending the day that quickly either, but his basic behaviour doesn't seem that different imo.

What is btw so scum indicative about his post where he explains his chennis vote? It's imo a solid case as he is right that chennis basically lacks a backbone and is pursuing things rather half-hearted. Many posts of chennis alone today support that like "It could be A, but it could also be B... = no consequence".

Fair questions all. I'll pull specific examples out from his last game for ya, but I'm going to finish catching up first.
8-4 0-1

Zeito
Townie

Post Post #616  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:03 pm

First of all I want to discuss TheASC - he's not stupid, and he's not a bad player (imo) - I could genuinely see him going for a Doctor claim as scum, especially with a 2/3 chance of success. It makes sense as scum, because otherwise he'll likely be lynched. The problem is, there is obviously a very real chance he is actually Doctor. I thought the initial reasons were too minor (the ) and also the reasoning of 'Hello everyone', and I don't see any player meta coming off of his initial RVS vote (that's generally what we do back home!) but he hasn't done much to come off as particularly townie to me - talking about himself and the gamestate, but rarely providing or showing evidence that he has made solid reads.
Apart from this one:
In post 346, TheASC wrote:Hey everyone. Sorry I haven’t been too active recently; this game blew up very quickly and I’ve struggled to keep up. Hopefully this post summarising my thoughts and reads should help out.

Current notes/reads, roughly sorted from most to least town top to bottom:

scum reading: Seems to be consistent with her original post stating that her “reads will change a lot”, which explains the 10 votes on 6 different people. She took initiative pressuring chennisden in #77. Seems to be actively trying to read people, as can be seen from having almost twice the number of posts as the second-most active player. However, a lot of this could be post inflation over trivial matters such as the “necessary to position” wording, i.e. quantity over quality. In her #192, she states that she is “filling pages by myself”, which also implies that she was pushing for quantity over quality. She also states in #109 that “You don’t get pressure with one vote, when there’s a wagon with 3 votes and one with two”, before rapidly moving around her vote… for pressure. Asking to be hammered in #203 seems incredibly strange, especially considering she was at L-3 at the time.

Sekaedy: Lack of posts makes him harder to read (who doesn’t love a bit of irony) although I’ll do what I can. I’m not really sure of the importance of the “necessary to position” wording in his Zeito vote (#41) but that seems to have been a topic of discussion. I admit it shows that he read Zeito’s post and copied the wording, but I’m not sure that’s significant, never mind alignment indicative.

u r a person 2: I haven’t had much time to look at their posts, but they seem to be very pro-town, quickly and efficiently slotting into the game and making reads straight away. Definitely redeemed Sekaedy’s slot.

teacher: Early questioning phase showed an interest in getting early activity (#8). Took initiative early on, questioning my RVS vote (#20). As mentioned elsewhere, teacher spent a considerable amount of posts discussing seemingly unimportant topics such as the RVS analogy and the wording of Sekaedy’s vote on Zeito. While this may be insignificant, taking initiative with the VC in #238 definitely feels pro-town.

Zeito: From the beginning, Zeito’s posts implied that they were trying to learn about how to play in this new format. Currently playing how town!Zeito tends to do – questioning people for information and not being afraid to shift their vote for pressure.

Skellen: Questioned my RVS explanation post early, presumably to get more information about it, as it was admittedly a rushed post on my part with justification that was admittedly not the best. Kept conversation going on page 3 by responding to many messages with what I assume was an interest to keep the game going while getting information. While her activity level was lower midgame, it’s seemed to pick up again over the last day.

Persivul: I was initially suspicious of Persivul due to the concise non-committal answers to teacher’s questions in #28 followed by a vote for me without explanation in #29. However, looking through his later votes I see that short snappy replies are the usual for him.

GrandWazoo: Good early interactions with me and teacher. GW inspired conversation with their early points about RVS in #27 and QH in #33, even if the points made weren’t the best. Seemed strongly against scum reading’s seemingly random vote switching. Seems to be pushing scum reading incredibly heavily.

chennisden: Was suspicious of my RVS vote in #22 but didn’t feel like committing to an early vote until Persuval had voted for me first, even though I already had one vote from Skellen. This could potentially be an attempt to create an early wagon, but in that case, I don’t see how being the 2nd vs 3rd vote would make that much of a difference. Stated unhappiness about “the amount of people on TheASC’s wagon”, although this can be taken many ways. Was the wagon too big or too small? States that I remind him of his own scumplay in #74 without giving explanation as to how I remind him.

With this in mind, I feel the best move from here is VOTE: chennisden

These are fine reads, although the order is a little interesting. "From the beginning, Zeito’s posts implied that they were trying to learn about how to play in this new format. Currently playing how town!Zeito tends to do – questioning people for information and not being afraid to shift their vote for pressure." - I was placed in the middle, with Sekaedy above me, but I couldn't really figure out why Sekaedy was there. Maybe you could elaborate on this? I know it's quite late for my review on you.

In post 398, scum reading wrote:If he was something, he would've claimed at lynch minus one

Claiming VT is still a claim.[/quote]
I get a gutread feel off of this which is like trying to defend GW somewhat for towncred, although they weren't too strongly vocal about it...

In post 551, TheASC wrote:
In post 550, scum reading wrote:I’ve decided on a lynch and I’m never moving my vote, I promise, I’ll be consistent, I’d like some pressure on chennis and I’ll give my reasoning after he’s at L-2, I wanna see something

Unless I'm mistaken, he's currently at L-2. 7 players left means 4 to lynch, and Chennis is currently being voted for by you and urap.

The thing is, stuff like this makes up most of TheASC's iso, which I don't really like. I don't think this lynch is a bad option, although I'm still consolidating my reads.

TLDR; I scumread TheASC slightly right now.

Skellen
Goon

Post Post #617  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:08 pm

In post 609, chennisden wrote:Weren't you throwing shade at Skellen, like, a couple of posts before this?

No, he didn't.

In post 611, chennisden wrote:Other than myself I don't see this as pushing an easy mislynch - certainly URAP is not one.

Can you explain where your change of mind regarding urap is coming from? In # you lean on urap being town that pushes scum, than after he voted you you changed your stance on him. I take it is for him framing ASC as you said in # (who you still don't mind lynching in lylo?) and that he pushed the GW lynch. But the latter was a known fact before you were leaning town on him. And you reversed the framing ASC argument again in # with saying he isn't framing ASC, which seemingly concludes in scum team urap/ASC? I don't get it, no matter what concerning ASC, urap is scum?

Zeito
Townie

Post Post #618  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:09 pm

Regarding URAP - they jumped in and started townleading (pretty lucky we have one, considering I'm too lazy to do so on forums and teacher died during the night), but I'm cautious to instantly townlock them for this, it seems like it would be very easy for scum to lead our game astray here, considering they were a large part of our lynch on GrandWazoo, giving most players the confidence to do so. I genuinely have no idea how to read these kind of wolf / townleading players, so ideally I'd like to look over some games to pmeta them a little. I generally don't like pmeta, but it can't hurt to give it a try here. Saying that, does anybody have a way I can get access to a lot of their games? Navigating a forums website is constantly a last resort for me.

TLDR; Still thinking. Need pmeta.

Skellen
Goon

Post Post #619  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:26 pm

In post 618, Zeito wrote: Saying that, does anybody have a way I can get access to a lot of their games? Navigating a forums website is constantly a last resort for me.

Just look into his profile and look into the topics he posted in, there you should find all games he was in. If you want to see scum!urap as replacing late into Day 1 and attempting the massclaim at Day 2 too I can recommend Newbie 1916 as I witnessed that first hand. Don't know his town games, but I think he listed all his Newbie games in #.

Zeito
Townie

Post Post #620  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:28 pm

In post 538, Persivul wrote:
In post 532, insomnia wrote:Pers, who would you lynch today?

And actually I won't be terribly opposed to my own lynch. I'm a good player who's having a bad game. It happens. I probably shouldn't make it to lylo.

This reads pretty scummy to me - like "I would understand a lynch on me here." Fishing for some people to townread the cooperative player. Follow it with a "Just make sure not to fuck up lylo" and you're good to go, that's exactly what I say when I get heat as scum. I can't base Persivul's meta off of my own, but I don't like it.

And as for my scum teams, I would say:

TheASC + SR / URAP

chennis and Persivul's initial push on TheASC mean my chance of seeing them as a scumteam is smaller. I find scum tends to find it too risky to have their scumteam be two townies, so URAP and TheASC is a possibility. SR has immediately shifted the focus off of TheASC with his Gladiator chennis thing, which is interesting too.

chennis + URAP / Persival

Persivul has barely interacted with chennis from what I've seen, and URAP could possibly have made the stronger play of getting people off of chennis at least for one day to significantly strengthen the scumgame.

Zeito
Townie

Post Post #621  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:28 pm

In post 619, Skellen wrote:
In post 618, Zeito wrote: Saying that, does anybody have a way I can get access to a lot of their games? Navigating a forums website is constantly a last resort for me.

Just look into his profile and look into the topics he posted in, there you should find all games he was in. If you want to see scum!urap as replacing late into Day 1 and attempting the massclaim at Day 2 too I can recommend Newbie 1916 as I witnessed that first hand. Don't know his town games, but I think he listed all his Newbie games in #.

ty

Zeito
Townie

Post Post #622  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:34 pm

I still have a strong town lead on Skellen.
For my read on SR, it's not too far either way right now. I'm going to have to really sift through SR's content and do my best to form a good read with such an abundance of information.

u r a person 2
Mafia Scum

Post Post #623  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:51 pm

In post 600, scum reading wrote:Putting targets in between those brackets usually suggest first to last check and in town reads it is used for strongest to weakest town read, you get my point. By putting him last he indirectly influences the investigative to go for the first ones that were even more active and suspicious at that time, thanks for telling me about the post though, now you’re just helping me confirm my reads and clear any doubts

Order had no meaning because the whole point was to not heavily influence (and thus inform scum at the same time) the pr actions
8-4 0-1

u r a person 2
Mafia Scum

Post Post #624  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:52 pm

In post 607, chennisden wrote:
In post 559, scum reading wrote:Chennis, what do you think about ASC?

If in LyLo I am comfortable with lynching ASC

However, the fact he hasn't been CCed yet makes him more towny by mechanics, which I think does not take precedence over reads.

no it doesnt
8-4 0-1

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to The Road to Rome