Newbie 1938: Get to Know a Mod (Day 1)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. It is suggested, but not required, that you play your first game here. Signups Here
Osetr
Townie

Location: Somewhere in Kazakhstan, switching between UTC +5 and +6
Pronoun: He

Post Post #250  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:53 pm

that teacher's read on me is so cherrypicky i'm gonna laugh

i'll answer it when i'm on my laptop

MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum

Pronoun: She

Post Post #251  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:57 pm

@Sushi, when did you put your pronouns up? I didn't notice you were identifying as a "she."
~My parents have let me get away with a lot of things fashion-wise, but they draw the line at two earrings in each ear. They said I would look like a pirate, although I, personally, have never seen a pirate with more than exactly one earring

teacher
Mafia Scum

Post Post #252  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:03 pm

In post 249, MaryJoLisa wrote:
In post 209, Menalque wrote:
I don’t understand the logic here. Feels like it could be scum paranoia wanting to know if teacher is on her or not?

Naw, I'm not paranoid. Sometimes I've got to let the experienced players lead the way so I can see what they do see if there are any little tricks up their sleeves.

Well now that it’s out there you want to speak it - any tricks or anything?

MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum

Post Post #253  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:08 pm

In post 241, Menalque wrote:
In post 240, teacher wrote:Urap (or board) react to the case?

I’m out for drinks but I’ll think about it. My initial react is I’m not sure I’m persuaded and that MJL could be slow playing, but I was wrong about it being more complicated than voting the most obvious slot last time so I’ll take that into account.

What is slow playing? Anyone answer. Cause I'm less active than I usually am, but I'm V/LA to reflect the time I need to devote to my RL. My brain is a little distracted rn.
~My parents have let me get away with a lot of things fashion-wise, but they draw the line at two earrings in each ear. They said I would look like a pirate, although I, personally, have never seen a pirate with more than exactly one earring

teacher
Mafia Scum

Post Post #254  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:11 pm

I take it to be scum that isn’t actively pushing but sheeping. But it’s not a phrase that has a consistent meaning, so I’d definitely defer to Menalques def when he next comes into internet.

MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum

Post Post #255  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:13 pm

In post 252, teacher wrote:
I don’t understand the logic here. Feels like it could be scum paranoia wanting to know if teacher is on her or not?

Naw, I'm not paranoid. Sometimes I've got to let the experienced players lead the way so I can see what they do see if there are any little tricks up their sleeves.

Yeah, I was thinking Sushi, but you chimed in right around the same point where it dawned on me. She was needlessly defensive of Osetr and of course, I fell into that trap once.

I thought it might be wise to play it a little cooler so if Osetr flips red, we can bring up the matter with her sans scum!buddy. I thought it would be less stressful and PTSD-making and more effective overall. I was going for the long-game.

MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum

Post Post #256  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:14 pm

In post 254, teacher wrote:I take it to be scum that isn’t actively pushing but sheeping. But it’s not a phrase that has a consistent meaning, so I’d definitely defer to Menalques def when he next comes into internet.

:facepalm: I would never have arrived at that.

u r a person 2
Mafia Scum

Post Post #257  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:19 pm

VOTE: osetr

I didn't realize this wagon had depleted to a single vote lol

That's quite the turnaround from universal scum read
103-11 0-2

MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum

Post Post #258  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:21 pm

Oh yeah, I only pulled my vote to prevent an accidental quickhammer. My vote has been there in spirit all along.

MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum

Post Post #259  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:23 pm

VOTE: Osetr

pytdarque
Townie

Post Post #260  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:25 pm

In post 240, teacher wrote:Urap (or board) react to the case?

Long, so spoiling

Spoiler:
I don't read scum on Sushi at all. Like I said in a previous post, I believe the act of trying to self lynch based solely on frustration over the game is very town. I mean sure, it could be a tactic to appear town, but it's her first game on the site and I honestly think it was a town slip. Nothing else in her ISO is screaming scum to me.

Osetr to me currently is reading town. At first, I was heavy on the scum reads with him, but they have changed up a bit more in the helping town progress side. Providing detailed reads, asking questions and following up on (most) of the questions asked to him has been beneficial at least in the way that I'm reading him. I for sure read what you put together, and I'm processing it. You make a lot of very valid points as to why you're reading him as scum, and I guess if I'm jumping onto that wagon, I'd need to read more into his posts more myself.

It's interesting how our reads differ. I'm going to continue to read (it takes me many times over sometimes to fully understand something that I've read) what you put together, and see if any of it makes any more sense to me.

Some extra reads

There is just so little for me to go on with nate's posts. So I can't say fully if I'm reading scum or town on him specifically. I mean, if we are going based on the fact that he just hasn't posted much in the way of helpful posts, then yeah sure, that's scummy. But, I really can't say without hesitation that I read him as scum.

I'm awaiting response from MJL. Menalque made some very good points as to why he was reading her as scum (posts 208, 209 and 210 and I am hoping to hear her defense in the matter.

Urap, as of right now I'm getting town from him. Not straying away from questions, lots of follow up, checking around and ensuring that he's getting an answer from people he's speaking to are all good signs. It would be different if he were to say, ask around and not really care one way or another what the answer would be. Questions for the sake of questions.
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add colour to my sunset sky.

MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum

Post Post #261  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 pm

I'll respond to your question tomorrow. I'm so tired. I think I'm done for the night. :(

Osetr
Townie

Post Post #262  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 pm

@pytdarque frustration is NAI

Osetr
Townie

Post Post #263  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:46 pm

@teacher how is a greeting scummy? that's really dumb and cherrypicky
my 2 villa games: https://blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewt ... 7#p3174057
https://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/v ... 5#p3180725

post 58 doesn't feel forced at all if you know my personality (which is upbeat and positive)
asking for question is appareantly LAMIST now, ok

post 67 i already explained and i'm not repeating stuff

post 79 i was writing this post 100% seriously and if you don't believe me, your problem

post 101 wasn't a defense, i was just explaining why people shouldn't be put on L-1

i didn't ignore the sushi question purposefully. i didn't see it at first

how are my reads OMGUS? what? and how is making them more readable LAMIST? are you gonna scumread me for every detail?

Osetr
Townie

Post Post #264  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:51 pm

In post 231, Sushi Martyr wrote:
Osetr wrote:@Sushi move your vote if you're not comfortable with it anymore. i don't like that you provided 0 scumreads basically

I don't like it either.

UNVOTE:

then reread the thread and form a scumread

Osetr
Townie

Post Post #265  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:55 pm

mary ignored my read on her, ok

keeping my vote

teacher
Mafia Scum

Post Post #266  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:05 am

In post 263, Osetr wrote:@teacher how is a greeting scummy? that's really dumb and cherrypicky

Just FYI, it is statisticallt scummy. And the form in the links is different tomalley. But I do want to read those games now, so thanks.

Osetr
Townie

Post Post #267  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:33 am

In post 266, teacher wrote:
In post 263, Osetr wrote:@teacher how is a greeting scummy? that's really dumb and cherrypicky

Just FYI, it is statisticallt scummy. And the form in the links is different tomalley. But I do want to read those games now, so thanks.

ok i'm actually surprised by this, wow

btw the NFM65 game you can read til D2, since I got confirmed D2

VFM50 i got killed n2 by maf too, so only 2 days to read there

Osetr
Townie

Post Post #268  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:52 am

and can you please reply to my full defense?

Sushi Martyr
Townie

Post Post #269  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:55 am

Don't know if it's relevant, but I played in two games on there too. My name's the same, just without the space. It's probably not enough to form a meta or anything, though, especially since I was different alignments in them and one of the games was a bigger theme game (and I rarely posted in it).

I will admit the way I've been playing this game is considerably different from how I was in the game in which I was Town (linked for reference, though I did go 9 or so pages without posting after the first: https://blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewt ... 17&t=91955). I have no clue who is scum, and I don't feel confident making moves, etc. I've been rereading the thread but still have no idea what to even begin looking for. The LAMIST argument I really only got engaged in because it was something I felt I could take a stance on: sometimes, the motivation to appear town isn't entirely deceptive; it's to feel like there's something you can be saying or doing while still engaging with the town. Because at the start of these games, you don't have anything, and while jumping right into the fray with votes or baseless accusations comes naturally to some people, it's more difficult for others. It's a matter of becoming confident in just talking and finding one's voice.

Does that mean scum don't do it? No, but it did seem like it didn't warrant three people jumping on Osetr with little explanation, as if it were a given that making some kind of fluffish greeting post is automatically scum, so I figured I would at least say something. But I didn't want to hold up discussion on account of it, especially if
Osetr did later turn out to be scum. I trust my own ability to make reads probably the least of anyone in this game, especially when there's not much I feel confident arguing with.

Sorry, I'll get into actually addressing things later, I'm just struggling to attempt to put into words at least some of what was going on in my head at the time.

Sushi Martyr
Townie

Post Post #270  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:05 am

In post 251, MaryJoLisa wrote:@Sushi, when did you put your pronouns up? I didn't notice you were identifying as a "she."

In post 255, MaryJoLisa wrote:
In post 252, teacher wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking Sushi, but you chimed in right around the same point where it dawned on me. She was needlessly defensive of Osetr and of course, I fell into that trap once.

I thought it might be wise to play it a little cooler so if Osetr flips red, we can bring up the matter with her sans scum!buddy. I thought it would be less stressful and PTSD-making and more effective overall. I was going for the long-game.

You don't need to worry about me getting PTSD because of a scumread, by the way.

And I'm pretty sure I set my pronouns from the beginning.

Osetr
Townie

Post Post #271  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:10 am

sushi can't be scumbuddies with me because that would be way too obvious

do you really think a scumbuddy would defend me when everyone else is pushing me?

Osetr
Townie

Post Post #272  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:02 am

In post 220, u r a person 2 wrote:
In post 218, Osetr wrote:@urap uhhh ignoring my and menalque's and sushi's posts much?

Was there something in particular you wanted me to respond to?

my and sushi's reads, my and menalque's case on mary being scum

Osetr
Townie

Post Post #273  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:04 am

Town [Osetr]
Townread [pytdarque, Menalque]
Townlean [u r a person 2]
Null [Nate Dogg, Flavor Leaf]
Scumlean [Sushi Martyr]
Scumread [MaryJoLisa, teacher]
Scum []

MaryJoLisa
Mafia Scum

Post Post #274  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:19 am

Osetr, I'm going through the thread now and I'll respond to game stuff, but I saw your list with post numbers and I wanted to let you know that the forum has a feature to quickly turn the post numbers into links. Highlight the post number you've used and click the "post" button in the full buffer editor. It's very handy!

This:
Code: Select all
[post]101[/post]
becomes this link:

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to The Road to Rome