Newbie 1946 | Stuff I Found Online Xiv | Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. It is suggested, but not required, that you play your first game here. Signups Here
Carl Tuckerson
Goon

Pronoun: He

Post Post #1850  (ISO)  » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:20 pm

In post 1847, AaronFrost wrote:Hey all sorry I had to replace out. I'm feeling much better after being sick for like a week.

Hope you're feeling better bud
"my way is honoring the 4th is do a rebel run light as many fireworks as i can get drunk and stone and say think god im a american at least i know im free" - cyrus62
"omg you killed carl you basterds" - cyrus62
GTKAS

chennisden
not to be taken seriously

Post Post #1851  (ISO)  » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:44 pm

Sry for being a dumb ass aaron hope u can forgive me :P

chennisden

Post Post #1852  (ISO)  » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:49 pm

Btw wrt get a room this has the potential to adversely affect the outcome of games. I think it addresses a non issue in a bad way personally.

I also think that this sort of thing should be avoided by looking at playerlists

Gamma Emerald
Undiscovered

Post Post #1853  (ISO)  » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:05 pm

You can't always know two people won't get along though. Shoehorning in a Survivor reference, in Fans vs. Favorites 2 one of the characters ended up really not getting along with another despite not really displaying the level of aggressiveness he went to before
Sometimes silence is the loudest thing you can say.

HoldenGolden
Goon

Post Post #1854  (ISO)  » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm

In post 1852, chennisden wrote:Btw wrt get a room this has the potential to adversely affect the outcome of games. I think it addresses a non issue in a bad way personally.

I also think that this sort of thing should be avoided by looking at playerlists

Pfff, you know you would want to be in a room with me.

AaronFrost
Townie

Post Post #1855  (ISO)  » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:44 pm

Gamma are you referring to Former Federal Agent Phillip Sheppard?

Gamma Emerald
Undiscovered

Post Post #1856  (ISO)  » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:45 pm

In post 1855, AaronFrost wrote:Gamma are you referring to Former Federal Agent Phillip Sheppard?

Him and Nephew of Russell Hantz Brandon Hantz, yes.

Plotinus
Wise Words

Post Post #1857  (ISO)  » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:19 am

In post 1852, chennisden wrote:Btw wrt get a room this has the potential to adversely affect the outcome of games. I think it addresses a non issue in a bad way personally.

not if everyone knows about it going into the game? then it's just a mechanic that both scum and town can strategise around.

Karnage
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1858  (ISO)  » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:20 pm

In post 1856, Gamma Emerald wrote:
In post 1855, AaronFrost wrote:Gamma are you referring to Former Federal Agent Phillip Sheppard?

wasn't brandon a bit of a psychopath?

Russell's first season was the stuff of legends though
There are three sides to every story. Mine, yours and the truth. ~ Joe Massino

Gamma Emerald
Undiscovered

Post Post #1859  (ISO)  » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:27 pm

In post 1858, Karnage wrote:

Brandon was troubled. In his first season had a bit of a Catholic guilt cycle (I saw the term online so don't bring the pitchforks pls) while trying to "redeem" the Hantz family name, and in his second he gave up trying to be anything but himself and that led to conflict with Philip. Fyi I think having seen what the other Hantz have done that family name was completely in the toilet and nothing Brandon could do would fix that. Cos we have Russell Hantz the unrepentant heel of Survivor, Brandon's father who tried to bully Coach into helping Brandon, and another sibling of those two who got kicked off Big Brother.

chennisden

Post Post #1860  (ISO)  » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:05 pm

In post 1857, Plotinus wrote:

not if everyone knows about it going into the game? then it's just a mechanic that both scum and town can strategise around.

It's not something I want to strategize about and it also provides a moral dilemma of using the power for intended purposes vs exploiting it for stuff. For example if I was a cop I'd try to get a room with, let's say, an inno. Then I say "sup I'm the cop. Ik you're inno. Here are my results" and dump it. That's a situation that I don't want to ever have to deal with as either alignment and it significantly townsides things.

Bobbyb85
Goon

Post Post #1861  (ISO)  » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:12 pm

In post 1860, chennisden wrote:

It's not something I want to strategize about and it also provides a moral dilemma of using the power for intended purposes vs exploiting it for stuff. For example if I was a cop I'd try to get a room with, let's say, an inno. Then I say "sup I'm the cop. Ik you're inno. Here are my results" and dump it. That's a situation that I don't want to ever have to deal with as either alignment and it significantly townsides things.

This feels like what it would get used for.

Not what it's intended for, but then again anyone who knows the RAS name knows that things arent always used in the way they were intended.

chennisden

Post Post #1862  (ISO)  » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:25 pm

In post 1861, Bobbyb85 wrote:
In post 1860, chennisden wrote:

This feels like what it would get used for.

Not what it's intended for, but then again anyone who knows the RAS name knows that things arent always used in the way they were intended.

Yes. You're right on that.

But the BIGGEST issue is that this is NOT against the rule. What RAS did for example is OBVIOUSLY illegal. This isn't an illegal way of using it - it's playing to win-con

chennisden

Post Post #1863  (ISO)  » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Also the best way of playing around that is to say "hey shut the fuck up" and the only way to do that is to powerplay in general and town should just powerplay more IMO

HoldenGolden
Goon

Post Post #1864  (ISO)  » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:31 pm

"You have been put into a room with RAS

RAS: OMFG STUPID TOWN I KNOW ALL THE ROL-I MEAN, I HAVE A COMEPLLING CASE ON WHY X AND Y ARE SCUM!!1
Non-Cheating player: O-ok? Why are you so sure?
RAS: IM COP AND CHECKED THEY BOTH, THEY ARE SCUM
NCP:......but it is day 1
RAS:.......

RAS has been swated out of the room"

(Literally how it felt lowkey reading that game)

---------------------

I basically see it as a medium's stance from TOS, but able to do it alive in that case. That's a fair point I guess since unlike in TOS, nobody knows there is a cop and they haven't flipped yet.

Eh, I would still like to play in that type of game just to see how it works out

chennisden

Post Post #1865  (ISO)  » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:32 pm

Right, if you design a game specifically around that mechanic it could be interesting! I just don't want it to be something haphazardly added to what would be a good setup without it.

HoldenGolden
Goon

Post Post #1866  (ISO)  » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Mafia could have like a bomb guy who blows up a room at the cost of their life. Probably not balanced at all, but would be pretty kewl.

Thankfully I won't be moderating a game for a long time, if ever, so no one has to play what would probably be a horribly imbalance game lol.

eth0s
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1867  (ISO)  » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:28 pm

I would like to moderate a newbie game. But if I understand the rules correctly, I must moderate a normal or micro game first?
I'm going to mod a game! It is not yet in signups, but feel free to pre /in via PM!
Playing: Normal 222: Black Versus White Mafia, newbie 1950, its minecraft, and Micro 883: A Year of Miccros.
Signed up for: The CoaLITion in Micro Game Queue and Make Me Regret This uPick in Mini Theme Game Queue
Pre-in'd for: 7p Vengeful in Micro Game Queue.

chennisden

Post Post #1868  (ISO)  » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:36 pm

Or an open

AaronFrost
Townie

Post Post #1869  (ISO)  » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:02 pm

In post 1859, Gamma Emerald wrote:
In post 1858, Karnage wrote:

Brandon was troubled. In his first season had a bit of a Catholic guilt cycle (I saw the term online so don't bring the pitchforks pls) while trying to "redeem" the Hantz family name, and in his second he gave up trying to be anything but himself and that led to conflict with Philip. Fyi I think having seen what the other Hantz have done that family name was completely in the toilet and nothing Brandon could do would fix that. Cos we have Russell Hantz the unrepentant heel of Survivor, Brandon's father who tried to bully Coach into helping Brandon, and another sibling of those two who got kicked off Big Brother.

Jeez forgot how fucked up the Hantz family was.

Plotinus
Wise Words

Post Post #1870  (ISO)  » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:21 am

In post 1860, chennisden wrote:It's not something I want to strategize about and it also provides a moral dilemma of using the power for intended purposes vs exploiting it for stuff. For example if I was a cop I'd try to get a room with, let's say, an inno. Then I say "sup I'm the cop. Ik you're inno. Here are my results" and dump it. That's a situation that I don't want to ever have to deal with as either alignment and it significantly townsides things.

This happened in fractals, the setup was 9p, town tracker, town follower, mafia rolecop, mafia goon, 5 vt. the follower got two guilties in that game. you're right that this mechanic doesn't work well with cops or with any role that gets definitive guilties/innos.

I say in the setup information post that if you just want to use the mechanic to get a room with your friends, its fine. I don't think the mechanic has actually ever been used to put a stop to a dumb argument, even though that was its original purpose, but it's okay. I've seen strong scum use the mechanic to their advantage to become fake-masons with town and seen town use it to have some place in private to scheme and try to create traps for scum.

Previous
[ + ]

Return to The Road to Rome