Newbie 1993 | Day 3

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. It is suggested, but not required, that you play your first game here. Signups Here
the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Pronoun: He

Post Post #50  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:33 pm

JV can literally smell people's souls.

pedit:
JacksonVirgo wrote:I'll get to the mind destroying posts by worst when I get home, off to get my license y'all hype

bahahhaa
I like to think they're mind opening but maybe those are the same thing :P

congratulations on the license!!! Full I assume?
Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group!
Join the Get to Know a Scummer queue now!

Rectiplanes
Goon

Post Post #51  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:42 pm

In post 43, the worst wrote:JV is town
i'm slightly anxious about rectiplanes but i don't think i think they're scum really, they just give off Smart Energy which makes me want them to do really cool flashy things before i have a read on them :P

you can get a lot from the way people approach the thread/their written 'tone', especially if you have recent experience from them. i'm excited a lot of you have experience with each other. if more people could talk about their impressions of each others' games & how even the tonality of each other's opening posts makes you feel i'd super welcome it.

What you say about me makes me suspicious, for ill-definable reasons.

As for tone impressions, it's worth noting that in Newbie1900, the game we four previously played in, I was thrown by RG's tone and JV called out Maple (whom Jorg replaced later) as being off compared to their last game. This was in the first 24 hours of the game, and they were both scum, so... the plural of anecdote may not be data, but it's suggestive that you may catch things as being off.

In post 45, the worst wrote:
(I have cut away a section quoting post here)

JV jumps in with an overprojected read
are they realistically going to locktown Jorm based on it's tone?
nobody is, either town or scum, because it just looks silly to

but by overstating their read as "hey i think jorm is town based on its ~vibe~" this creates a call to action. do people with experience with jorm agree or disagree with JV's assessment?

(I cut away a quote of post here for brevity, too)

this response actually makes me feel nervous about Aaron in a less lolrandom way
it doesn't really contribute anything productive to the dialogue
like realistically aaron should already know that JV isn't going to 100%-confidence locktown jorm based on its ~vibe~
and even if aaron lacks experience with jorm, there is a call to action there for aaron to contribute whether he agrees or disagrees with JV

instead he elects to draw attention to JV doing something which superficially "looks bad" (i.e. stating a townread based off almost nothing), rather than continuing the dialogue (e.g. "i think JV is scum for trying to pocket jorm"; "i agree jorm's tone is towny"; "i disagree and think jorm's tone is scummy"; "honestly i don't think tonereading jorm is valuable yet"; etc.)

aaron's response appears to be motivated by something that looked bad, where JV's original comment appears to be motivated by a thought they had about Jorm's alignment.

Seems rather tinfoily TBH, but Aaron didn't just come from a game with Jormengand in it. I agree that his tone is a bit more relaxed here. RG isn't acting the same either. It's too early and too few posts for both to be a long trend but it's notable to both of us, I think.

They aren't the only ones to depart from form, though. JV lobbed a random vote and a joke right off the bat in the previous game - no vote here, random or otherwise. But apart from that her tone seems fairly consistent, too.

AaronFrost
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:43 pm

In post 45, the worst wrote:this response actually makes me feel nervous about Aaron in a less lolrandom way
like realistically aaron should already know that JV isn't going to 100%-confidence locktown jorm based on its ~vibe~
and even if aaron lacks experience with jorm, there is a call to action there for aaron to contribute whether he agrees or disagrees with JV

instead he elects to draw attention to JV doing something which superficially "looks bad" (i.e. stating a townread based off almost nothing), rather than continuing the dialogue (e.g. "i think JV is scum for trying to pocket jorm"; "i agree jorm's tone is towny"; "i disagree and think jorm's tone is scummy"; "honestly i don't think tonereading jorm is valuable yet"; etc.)

aaron's response appears to be motivated by something that looked bad, where JV's original comment appears to be motivated by a thought they had about Jorm's alignment.

Obviously I know that, but the post read to me like JV was at least decently confident in a read there which felt hasty for this early. I don't have strong feels on Jorm either way right now, which is why I poked at it.

I also don't feel like reading newbies off of meta is particularly useful since their meta is still evolving and can change quickly while they learn new things. My second scum game on site I was able to get enough people to townread me simply by not playing like I did in my first scum game on site, which allowed me to endgame and win.

Rectiplanes
Goon

Post Post #53  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:45 pm

In post 48, JacksonVirgo wrote:
In post 47, Rectiplanes wrote:
In post 42, the worst wrote:
In post 31, JacksonVirgo wrote:Howdy, it may be that Jorm has a different sort of vibe when Rolling scum instead of replacing into one but they seem carefree this game so far so I think they're a town boi

i'll look into this if i'm feeling unlazy and not busy later (this is Quite Unlikely)
do people who've played w Jorm before agree/disagree?

It's not really possible to tell from two posts, and he kind of dropped in on the last game in a spot where the previous holder of his slot had left him in a hole and there was some heavy pushing on two players. From the two whole posts he's placed though, there is an air of looseness.

I can't say I read anything into it other than relief at not inheriting a situation he had no part in creating.

You say that it's not possible to tell from two posts but I did exactly that with Maple in 1990, I kind of have a thing for vibes some more confident than others but a thing none the less

And I nailed RG as 'not vanilla townie' right away in the same game but wasted Day 1 believing him to be the world's least subtle PR; just because you catch something different about their tone doesn't mean we understand with perfect clarity what it means.

AaronFrost
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:53 pm

In post 47, Rectiplanes wrote:It's not really possible to tell from two posts, and he kind of dropped in on the last game in a spot where the previous holder of his slot had left him in a hole and there was some heavy pushing on two players. From the two whole posts he's placed though, there is an air of looseness.

I can't say I read anything into it other than relief at not inheriting a situation he had no part in creating.

I'd have to agree with this too. Replacing into a slot that's heading towards being lynched can be stressful, especially if that slot is scum. I don't think Jorm's more relaxed tone here is AI atm given the context of his most recent scum game.

AaronFrost
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:56 pm

I'm liking the duck and Rectiplanes so far to town leans.

Usually when ducky is town it'll be obvious eventually and so far his engagements seem to be in good faith.

Rectiplanes
Goon

Post Post #56  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:14 pm

It's interesting that we have three SE players who have played with each other and three newbies who mutually played a game that just ended a couple days ago. That makes me feel like there's a better than normal chance of noticing scummy behavior among town. On the other hand, familiarity lacks the tendency to pay attention to minutiae that I would expect from reading someone whose posts and style is novel to us, you know?

Then we have our three pumpkins who aren't posting much. I understand murceli hasn't confirmed yet per skitter, but the other two have posted; I'd like to hear more from them.

Amercelo, it looks like this is your first game on the site; have you had any previous experience? Any questions you need answered? Last time we had an SE playing exposition fairy at this point in the game. I suggest you direct questions to the duck, maybe, he seems helpful.

Jesternl, it looks like you signed up eight years ago and changed languages? Looks like there's a story there.

Go on and give us some reads on people, maybe some fresh eyes have some insight, I don't know, maybe familiarity might cause us to not notice some small detail.

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #57  (ISO)  » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:44 pm

yeah my reads tend to improve a lot when everyone is playing
Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group!

JacksonVirgo
Mafia Scum

Pronoun: They

Post Post #58  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:54 am

In post 54, AaronFrost wrote:
In post 47, Rectiplanes wrote:It's not really possible to tell from two posts, and he kind of dropped in on the last game in a spot where the previous holder of his slot had left him in a hole and there was some heavy pushing on two players. From the two whole posts he's placed though, there is an air of looseness.

I'd have to agree with this too. Replacing into a slot that's heading towards being lynched can be stressful, especially if that slot is scum. I don't think Jorm's more relaxed tone here is AI atm given the context of his most recent scum game.

They weren't heading to being lynched, 72 was hardcore and when they replaced in nobody was really giving my reads that much thought so this is wrong

JacksonVirgo
Mafia Scum

Post Post #59  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:57 am

i'm slightly anxious about rectiplanes but i don't think i think they're scum really, they just give off Smart Energy which makes me want them to do really cool flashy things before i have a read on them :P

you can get a lot from the way people approach the thread/their written 'tone', especially if you have recent experience from them. i'm excited a lot of you have experience with each other. if more people could talk about their impressions of each others' games & how even the tonality of each other's opening posts makes you feel i'd super welcome it.

Is there a reason behind me being town or is that a pocket attempt? uwu. And saying that 'you can get a lot from x' is not really explaining reasonings, that's just reasons of how you got the reasonings.

Rectiplanes is acting similar to early d1 in 1990 but they could easily do that as scum so I'm not reading them as town until they actually put in solid content when shit gets happening.

JacksonVirgo
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:57 am

In post 59, JacksonVirgo wrote:

Is there a reason behind me being town or is that a pocket attempt? uwu. And saying that 'you can get a lot from x' is not really explaining reasonings, that's just reasons of how you got the reasonings.

Rectiplanes is acting similar to early d1 in 1990 but they could easily do that as scum so I'm not reading them as town until they actually put in solid content when shit gets happening.

I'll get to the experience/impressions of each other thingo soon

JacksonVirgo
Mafia Scum

Post Post #61  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:01 am

In post 45, the worst wrote:just a handy example sitting half a page above my last post

In post 31, JacksonVirgo wrote:Howdy, it may be that Jorm has a different sort of vibe when Rolling scum instead of replacing into one but they seem carefree this game so far so I think they're a town boi

JV jumps in with an overprojected read
are they realistically going to locktown Jorm based on it's tone?
nobody is, either town or scum, because it just looks silly to

but by overstating their read as "hey i think jorm is town based on its ~vibe~" this creates a call to action. do people with experience with jorm agree or disagree with JV's assessment?

In post 39, AaronFrost wrote:

This read feels sorta hasty. How much confidence are you putting in this?

this response actually makes me feel nervous about Aaron in a less lolrandom way

Are you saying that them shutting down my 'read' in the way they did scummy compared to if they add their own views onto it to spark discussion?

rg
Goon

Post Post #62  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:25 am

In post 26, the worst wrote:
In post 23, Rectiplanes wrote:
In post 19, the worst wrote:VOTE: AaronFrost ok quacc right bacc I will 1v1 this until we are both dead

Rectiplanes, given you found scum!rg noisy but tonally stilted--how do you find his tone on this page so far?

He's not pretending to be a potato here, at least. It sounds more like how he acted for a bit after being called out on the odd tone for a while (then he went back to acting odd).

I gather that AaronFrost and you have played together. Tell me about that. Jorg, JV, RG, and I played together in Newbie1900 - first game for the last two in that list - so about half the player list has recent experience with each other in a game. You can go look up that game, but I warn you, you'll wish you picked the blue pill. We (town) caught the first scum because we can't count and the second was hammered by a dead guy spouting doggerel.

It sounds like he's less awkward/stilted in his language here - do you think that's a fair takeaway? Often newbie scum can be awkward & stilted in the way they greet a thread (it's not actually a suuuuper reliable tell, but it's fun to pretend it is, to get conversations going. :3)

On this metric do you townread rg based off his pg1 posting?

Frosty and I have played a few times together. I've modded a couple of games he's played. I don't think? we've rolled opposing alignments in a game yet but I find his thoughts flow a lot more freely when he's town. He pretty rarely takes the interrogator/leader type role, but generally if you read his posts and think "yeah this is a real human explaining real thoughts", then he's town. Absence of focus/realistic thought patterns means he's more likely scum.

I'm not 100% sure I can read him accurately yet (I tend to wait 'til I have first-hand experience ;)) but I feel comfortable with him. He's also kind of delightful and we swim in similar onsite social circles.

I don't think he had a reason other than lolrandom rvs for voting me right out the gate. I had a reason for voting him but it's a surprise so don't tell him that.

Last game was my first game. Now I know a bit more about the game so expect a lot less questions about the mechanics and all that

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #63  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:27 am

In post 59, JacksonVirgo wrote:

pocketing you irl not in the game n_n
there's not a lot going on rn so I'm tryna encourage people to turn their brains inside out while poking people with more specific questions and waiting

rg
Goon

Post Post #64  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:28 am

In post 29, the worst wrote:Jormen, how do you feel about Recti & rg?
rg, I think Recti likes you. do you like them?

Yeah, I'm glad Recti is in the game. He's fun. He's a valuable asset to town on top of that.

the worst
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #65  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:33 am

In post 61, JacksonVirgo wrote:Are you saying that them shutting down my 'read' in the way they did scummy compared to if they add their own views onto it to spark discussion?

ya

the fact he found your post more noteworthy than everything else going on made me stop and think for a sec

and the way he chose his words his post looks more motivated to diminish the strength of your read than to contribute anything +solvey

JacksonVirgo
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:39 am

In post 65, the worst wrote:
In post 61, JacksonVirgo wrote:Are you saying that them shutting down my 'read' in the way they did scummy compared to if they add their own views onto it to spark discussion?

ya

the fact he found your post more noteworthy than everything else going on made me stop and think for a sec

and the way he chose his words his post looks more motivated to diminish the strength of your read than to contribute anything +solvey

I see what you're saying now, less mind destroying and indeed mind opening like you claimed uwu. But in other words you're saying jorg and Aaron are not SvS yeah? If so I can agree to that

JacksonVirgo
Mafia Scum

Post Post #67  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:40 am

Just realised jester has one post and it seems the kind of post you would say before spamming the thread lel

JacksonVirgo
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:40 am

Gonna vote them for an activity prod, realising that I haven't random voted like I usually do lel
VOTE: jester

JacksonVirgo
Mafia Scum

Post Post #69  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:16 am

Neither has murali or amercelo tbf, all three of you post plz

rg
Goon

Post Post #70  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:34 am

JV has the honor to be post #69!

JacksonVirgo
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:33 am

In post 70, rg wrote:JV has the honor to be post #69!

Oh my god I do!

amercelo
Townie

Post Post #72  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:25 am

Is it okay not to vote?

JacksonVirgo
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:34 am

In post 72, amercelo wrote:Is it okay not to vote?

Yeah, but if you're Town you would want to vote someone you think is scummy because it will hopefully kill the mafia

JacksonVirgo
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74  (ISO)  » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:35 am

In post 73, JacksonVirgo wrote:
In post 72, amercelo wrote:Is it okay not to vote?

Yeah, but if you're Town you would want to vote someone you think is scummy because it will hopefully kill the mafia

As our votes are the only thing that can kill them.

How much experience with mafia/werewolf games have you played?

PreviousNext
[ + ]

Return to The Road to Rome