Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #650 (ISO) » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:56 pm

Post by skitter30 »

donki, you were great :) i was townreading u for most of the game!
jumble, i think that saying some of your thoughts (even if you're unconfident in them or aren't sure or you feel it's flimsy) is a great idea! it would make it a little bit easier to track what you're thinking and why, and that's how you make yourself readable!
Show
Hiatus once more.

'skitter is fucking terrifying' ~ town-bork about scum-me

'Skitter [was] terrifying to play against ngl' ~ scum-bork about town-me

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

'Skitter you're a spirit animal's spirit animal' ~ slaxx
Umlaut
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Umlaut
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #651 (ISO) » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:05 pm

Post by Umlaut »

Gg, folks. Sorry I wasn't more present Day 1, not sure how much difference it would have made but in general I consider it my own responsibility to not get miselimmed.
“There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say, ‘There are two kinds of people in this world: those who say there are two kinds of people in this world,
and the other kind,
’ and those who
don’t
say. Well, then there’s me.” — J.R. “Bob” Dobbs
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #652 (ISO) » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:13 pm

Post by fferyllt »

I forgot! Shoutout to Penguin Alien who agreed to backup mod when I was potentially down for the count!
Amid the pressure of great events, a general principle gives no help.

Idic
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #653 (ISO) » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:18 pm

Post by skitter30 »

Subject: Newbie 2040 - The Phoenician Rennaissance
Battle Mage wrote:I think we will win this if my teammate doesn't post for the remainder of the day. Skitter is getting hung up on an idea again ;)
ya p much
and tbf it was the right one

but i did also do like a meta check of jumble in a couple of other newbie towngames and he was actually posting more/more involved there, and there was enough of a difference + i couldnt' get him to talk to me so i just kinda went with it
Show
Hiatus once more.

'Going into lylo against scum!skit unprepared is like having someone force feed you dull razor blades. It's painful, and once it starts, you're pretty much dead' ~ NMSA

skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #654 (ISO) » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:18 pm

Post by skitter30 »

also ffery the flavor was awesome
Show
Hiatus once more.

fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #655 (ISO) » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:33 pm

Post by fferyllt »

Thanks!

For Newbie games, sometimes I pick something that's recently piqued my interest and use it as flavor in my game to explore it a little more deeply. The Cliff notes wind up in the game!

Idic
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #656 (ISO) » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:05 pm

Post by NotAJumbleOfNumbers »

In post 650, skitter30 wrote:jumble, i think that saying some of your thoughts (even if you're unconfident in them or aren't sure or you feel it's flimsy) is a great idea! it would make it a little bit easier to track what you're thinking and why, and that's how you make yourself readable!
I get what you're saying, but I've noticed in the past that whenever I try to do that I often get backlash for my posts being "too shallow" or something like that when I actually can't think of anything more substantial and I feel like part of that is why I completely locked up and only made myself look worse here.
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #657 (ISO) » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:17 pm

Post by NotAJumbleOfNumbers »

Like whenever I haven't done a substantial post in a while I fall into the death cycle of (try to think of redeeming post) -> (can't find one) -> (post has to be more redeeming because you've wasted time looking for one) and that definitely hasn't gotten any better. Actually, I think it might be worse now.
donkihott
donkihott
Goon
donkihott
Goon
Goon

Post Post #658 (ISO) » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:21 pm

Post by donkihott »

I missed the grand finale, but still happy :D.
Thanks everyone for playing and to BM for guiding me through the game.

fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #659 (ISO) » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:27 am

Post by fferyllt »

There's a discussion about Newbie games happening in the Mafia Discussion forum. I'm planning to incorporate some of the ideas being discussed in my next modded Newbie game. If you have thoughts about how to make Newbie games more engaging and more fostering of player retention, I hope you'll chime in!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85187

Idic
AuroraDash
AuroraDash
Townie
AuroraDash
Townie
Townie

Post Post #660 (ISO) » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:34 pm

Post by AuroraDash »

Sorry about that, everyone.
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #661 (ISO) » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:12 pm

Post by fferyllt »

I thought you played well. Day 3 was intense!

Idic
Syryana
Syryana
He/Him
Always Andy
Syryana
He/Him
Always Andy
Always Andy
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #662 (ISO) » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:48 pm

Post by Syryana »

Yeah AD it was a pleasure playing with you, even if I was incorrectly tunneled on you D3. Sorry you had to go!
In the timeless words of a great and revered man: "Blow it out your ass."
A hydra of Rift Adrift, Oil Tycoons and Trust Fund. "In the Oil Rift we Trust."
AuroraDash
AuroraDash
Townie
AuroraDash
Townie
Townie

Post Post #663 (ISO) » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:25 pm

Post by AuroraDash »

Thanks, guys! (: I'll have a break, then give the game another go in a while.
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #664 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:28 am

Post by Battle Mage »

In post 663, AuroraDash wrote:Thanks, guys! (: I'll have a break, then give the game another go in a while.
hope all ok! you played great I thought, shame you repped out!
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #665 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:04 am

Post by petapan »

In post 656, NotAJumbleOfNumbers wrote:
In post 650, skitter30 wrote:jumble, i think that saying some of your thoughts (even if you're unconfident in them or aren't sure or you feel it's flimsy) is a great idea! it would make it a little bit easier to track what you're thinking and why, and that's how you make yourself readable!
I get what you're saying, but I've noticed in the past that whenever I try to do that I often get backlash for my posts being "too shallow" or something like that when I actually can't think of anything more substantial and I feel like part of that is why I completely locked up and only made myself look worse here.
In post 657, NotAJumbleOfNumbers wrote:Like whenever I haven't done a substantial post in a while I fall into the death cycle of (try to think of redeeming post) -> (can't find one) -> (post has to be more redeeming because you've wasted time looking for one) and that definitely hasn't gotten any better. Actually, I think it might be worse now.
sorry to hear that, your anxiety about saying stuff is understandable, but i think if you had actually said this while the game was going, it would've given a place to start a conversation, at least. i can't say it would've changed anything because it's just come across as an appeal to emotions, but saying
something
is usually better than saying nothing, you know?

your situation was a fairly difficult one, because you replaced in very late in the game, after everything had already happened, and so you don't really have the familiarity of having been in the game, you can't defend anything AD did because you're not him and you can't say anything in your own defense because you haven't done anything. what i would do in your situation is, once dokihott was confirmed scum to you, go back through the game. look through his posts and battle mage's posts for examples of how they talked to each other, and about each other. you knew they were teamed, so you can try to find examples from the game that support this. there's no guarantee that doing this could've saved you, but it can't hurt to try.

anyway, don't beat yourself up over it, making mistakes is a part of learning, that's what newbie games are for, and you were in a tough position to begin with. one lost game isn't the end of the world and it doesn't mean you're a bad player.
free crypto
fferyllt
fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

fferyllt
Titan of Trajectory

Titan of Trajectory

Post Post #666 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:44 am

Post by fferyllt »

Thanks for sharing that, peta!

Idic
skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #667 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:58 pm

Post by skitter30 »

In post 656, NotAJumbleOfNumbers wrote:
In post 657, NotAJumbleOfNumbers wrote:Like whenever I haven't done a substantial post in a while I fall into the death cycle of (try to think of redeeming post) -> (can't find one) -> (post has to be more redeeming because you've wasted time looking for one) and that definitely hasn't gotten any better. Actually, I think it might be worse now.
that sounds like a tough position to be in :(

at least from my pov, i would have welcomed *anything* that you had posted, even if you felt like it was kinda shallow - posting *something* a least gives me a window into what you're thinking abt, and how your'e approaching the game. positng nothing makes me view ur slot like a black box that i can't get anything out of, which points me more towards scum. and i think that most other players would prefer seeing ~even shallow content~ over nothing.

and i sometimes post super shallow things too ... but getting them out there means that other people can respond to them, which helps create a dialogue and thus helps refine the shallow thoughts into ~more complicated thoughts~ as you develop them. so even if people initially say you're being shallow, i think that persisting and maintaining that dialogue will help show what you're thinking and why (help show your progression) and thus shake off those vibes.

an wrt your second post - maybe just don't psych yourself up too much? posting doesn't have to be ~the posting you've ever made~, and just getting that initial post out there can help you overcome that hump, and i would imagine that from there it would be a bit easier :)

but i would suggest that if you enjoy mafia or would like to play more, keep signing up for games (in the newbie queue even if that would be helpful!) and just keep practicing posting what you're thinking and getting comfortable sharing your thoughts :)

you also repped into a slot that was already under suspicion in lylo -starting a game in a slot from scratch might be a bit of a lower-pressure environment to play for you, as you wouldn't be needing to respond to how other players are scrutinizing your slot for things u didn't do

i hope that helps a bit! and i would love to see you in more games :)
Show
Hiatus once more.

skitter30
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
skitter30
she/her
Last Laugh
Last Laugh

Post Post #668 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:00 pm

Post by skitter30 »

In post 663, AuroraDash wrote:Thanks, guys! (: I'll have a break, then give the game another go in a while.
you were great! would love to see you around again too :)
sorry for the wrong scumread!
Show
Hiatus once more.

unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #669 (ISO) » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:35 pm

Post by unwnd »

In post 656, NotAJumbleOfNumbers wrote:I get what you're saying, but I've noticed in the past that whenever I try to do that I often get backlash for my posts being "too shallow" or something like that when I actually can't think of anything more substantial and I feel like part of that is why I completely locked up and only made myself look worse here.
It seems that you were worried that your posts were coming off too stiff, or that they were too vague. You'd be surprised just how attuned people are to even saying something. If you're afraid of the presentation of your posts, that actually may become a boon in the future. It seems like you really think about how your presence weighs on the game, maybe even too much. Next game you should let yourself be honest in your dialect and not try to process your words so much. If you get a thought, maybe write it down elsewhere so you can stare at it. There's Notes PT for a reason and as someone who overthinks it would really relieve some external stress on you.
Stop
unwnd
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
unwnd
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #670 (ISO) » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:37 pm

Post by unwnd »

There's nothing wrong with just being really townie. You don't need to make revolutionary posts, and I think your honesty/self-awareness will again make you a strong town player in the future, but maybe even more scary as scum if you start to realize this lol
Stop
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #671 (ISO) » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:08 am

Post by PenguinPower »