Newbie 2104 | Wikipedia Articles | Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (isolation #0) » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:52 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Oh, I see. It's a trap! Only scum would be so invested as to curry favour with town. I've spoiled it, haven't I? :grin:
That being said, is the reference to Beauty and the Beast?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (isolation #1) » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:04 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Actually ya know what? VOTE: Rose for making such a high-effort first post
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (isolation #2) » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:38 pm

Post by Thynhith »

You're forgiven, and I've nearly forgotten how that game went. Man, can't help but think the face >_> looks sinister
I figured it was obvious - who tells random netizens about themselves?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (isolation #3) » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:40 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 10, catboi wrote:Hai, I'm an SE~

For a little bit of my background, I've been playing mafia off and on since 2010. I started with chat mafia before moving to forums. I took a break for several years before coming back in 2020 and I've been playing a lot since then.

I want to make this game fun for the newer players, so they want to stick around. I also want it to be informative. I'm not a brilliant town player but I'm pretty decent and if people have any questions on general gameplay and strategy I'd be happy to answer them.

For now,

VOTE: ceejay
Okay I am changing votes at lightning speed. I don't recall you being so talkative in our last game, Catboi, and you were town then. VOTE: catboi
Pulling the old SE hat trick, are we? :grin:
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (isolation #4) » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:34 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 15, Maestro wrote:Theft I want you to think less when you post next time, just as an experiment bc I want to get a better read k thx.

I want to know, truly, how do you get somebody to like you IRL - share away!

Also catboi objectively aware of and admits adjusting meta

VOTE: catboi
Have you played any games with him as scum? Post a link if so
@catboi: Oh and the reference in their name - people like to proceed straight to random votes. But my vote for him was pretty jokey anyway
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #86 (isolation #5) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:24 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 85, ceejayvinoya wrote:It's weird but I'm not really seeing anything yet that catches my attention, except for faustiv who I have no idea how to sort.

catboi feels like town.
maestro feels like town but I wouldn't mind seeing more.

Kyouko hasn't really done anything yet except sit on her early read. Might check again later.
Sterling? idk could be town.

Rose and Thynhith disappeared.

Rockhopper didn't show.

I'd rather push Thynhith for now.

VOTE: Thynhith what do you think of the game so far?
Disappeared? Excuse me, its been less than a day since my last post and not all of us live in the same time zone. And you have no more posts than I do :facepalm:
So much happens in a day! When you say "push", does that mean the same as "ask for reads"? In any case I will catch up when I get home. In the meantime, do you have any strong gut feelings, despite content?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #89 (isolation #6) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:39 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Spoiler:
In post 29, catboi wrote:
In post 24, Maestro wrote:I said I voted catboi bc they're expressing an awareness of their meta play and simultaneously have thought enough about how they would adjust their meta to actually bring this up in a game... it's about the self-awareness and why catboi would have that self-awareness or be thinking about their meta and how to change it; e.g. bc they're scum?
This is a really weird interpretation of what I said. I expressed specifically that I was unhappy with how I played
as town
in a previous game, and so have decided to try to play differently in the hope of both producing better results and coming across as more welcoming to newer players. I think that's a pretty natural thing to do, lots of people try to change how they play. I think if you're not in a constant process of trying to grow and improve, the game gets dull, and your play will start to decline as well.

The discussion of me being different was not unprompted - it was specifically brought up by Thynhith, the one player here I have experience with, pointing out that I was playing differently from our previous game together. I don't think that was a bad observation, I townlean him for pointing it out because it shows he's thinking critically about the game and was paranoid me having a more "formal" entrance might be a trick to look more towny. This is also not
the first
game I have tried to adjust my newbie game playstyle for, I did it in a prior game as well. I thought that game went slightly better and so decided to open more like that in future games.

Your interpretation is to accuse me of "being self-aware about meta", which is not really what I said, at all. It's framing a pretty straightforward explanation in a fairly sinister light. I said I want to try to play differently because of an unsatisfying performance in a past town game. You turn into possibly adjusting my own meta to deceive others. But if I was trying to deceive people, why would I admit to doing so openly on the first page? Further, if I was supposedly self-aware about my meta and concerned about how I would be read for it, why would I choose to act differently in a game where someone had seen me as town before? Isn't that completely backwards? Your whole thought process here doesn't really make sense to me. What scum thinks to themselves, "I am going to play differently to get townread" and then comes in the thread and says literally exactly that? (Bear in mind, that is NOT what I said, but just for the purposes of this exercise I want to show how this logic doesn't really hold up.)

It's been a fascinating reread. Just want to note that I don't find this entirely satisfying, and Maestro has a valid concern.
1) It's plausible you weren't expecting me pick up on the change to your meta
2) Also plausible you made up an explanation after I pointed it out
Chuck me a link to your prior game and I promise I'll stop harping on :wink:
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #91 (isolation #7) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:56 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Finished catching up now. First impression is that there are few telling reads either way. But some interesting interactions.
@Sterling, I think most people want to get a better read on you, but you don't have much content. What are your reads right now? Even better, do you think anyone voting for you is scum?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (isolation #8) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:15 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 41, kkirigiri wrote:
In post 39, Maestro wrote: Speaking of withholding info not being good during Day phase, if you feel this confident do share, it will prob get ppl not currently discussing in-thread much to hop in
We've got plenty of time. Personally I'd like to see people post a bit more before I real who I'm thinking about. My idea is that pushing for their elimination might be trickier given they know someone's already suspicious of them so early into the game.
They may yet weave me some more rope, so to speak.
This irks me because I reread the first two pages, and when I saw your "pretty confident" post I combed through them again. And I saw... nothing that jumped out at me. I'm not scumreading you for this, but I will definitely be disappointed if it turns out to be nothing. What can I say? I'm looking forward to the payoff?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (isolation #9) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:19 pm

Post by Thynhith »

PS usually I'd suspect this kind of post from scum trying to mislim poor townies. But this is your first game on this site, so I'm also considering you've latched onto something that you see as scummy. Whatever it is, it's gone over my head. Have you played mafia/ww/tos on other sites?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #96 (isolation #10) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:44 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 33, kkirigiri wrote:Also, hello everyone. I've only just been able to post due to being locked out of the thread mistakenly.
I believe I don't know anyone here except for faustIV, but am looking forward ot an interesting game nonetheless.
Waaait, you know Faust? From where? Lol it says you joined the site on the 17th
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #119 (isolation #11) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:46 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Did ya not see what I said? I'm uncomfortable with the little content Sterling has contributed and I would appreciate more, to get a better read on him. And he might have something to say about the folks who voted him.
Btw I'm happy to let it rest now, thanks for linking. Will post my reads in a moment.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #120 (isolation #12) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:03 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 6, TheftofaRose wrote:Greetings, all - I’m Rose. I have played mafia to an extent, usually via real life and live chatrooms, and I figured trying out a forums game after a nearly two-year hiatus from the game entirely would be a valuable endeavor instead of focusing on my debatably more important IRL concerns. I am familiar with the concept of the game, though some jargon and other forums-specific jumble may be lost on me. I prefer the term rustic over rusty.

The first person (and only the first person) to identify the reference in my username earns a nice, shiny, golden townread from me.

Until then, as they clearly have the scummiest name (the ü’s the killer), enjoy a nicer, shinier, goldener vote.

VOTE: faüstiv
Re: Rose's first post and his slot in general
In fact this was the one I jokingly voted for being "high-effort". Let's note that Rose made a grand total of 3 posts on this site before ghosting. So I'm thinking he tried and didn't like it or forgot about it, rather than quitting out of frustration of losing as scum. So I don't see a reason to scumread him, and hope we get a more active replacement.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #124 (isolation #13) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:25 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Explain that thought, please? What is unscummy about his unvote?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #126 (isolation #14) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:49 pm

Post by Thynhith »

My forepromised reads list

Townlean
Maestro - feels pretty genuine/casual, hard to fake for scum.
Kirigiri - her declaration at the start feels too random for scum. But, Kiri, I would like to see you elucidate what part of Rose's first post made you scumread him.

???
Sterling - gut says he is newtownie, need to see more to be sure
Rock and Rose - not enough content
Catboi - I would like to town read you, but I'm getting too much of a defensive tone. Im sure it will become more clear though. And your latest vote on Sterling - surely as SE you should know better than pushing newbies who have slipped up?
Faust - has quietly gone under the radar? Soft pushing sterling? Not happy with him unwilling to commit himself, very much an evasive attitude, so [VOTE: Faust]
I would like him to explain his own unvote.

Pedit: by that logic perhaps I should be scumreading you
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #134 (isolation #15) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:41 pm

Post by Thynhith »

New player at last, maybe you'll be seeing things clearly. I suspect I'm too bogged down in it to do so.
tips fedora
Welcome!
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (isolation #16) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:40 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 136, kkirigiri wrote: It's more respectful to take your hat off completely while we're in the courtroom, don't you think?
Ah but have we a judge in attendance? Anyways, the courtroom is just the stage for our kangaroo court.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #144 (isolation #17) » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:25 am

Post by Thynhith »

Fennec wrote:Response to Kiri - I said that TvM Is a highly likely possibility, but not a confirmed thing. If you randomly take 2 people if you are town, You have around a 50% chance to have a scum inside of that, right? With their interactions, to me its more likely than that 50% chance, but not a confirmed thing, you understand that? Also, to me finding that suspicious (To me, I found that suspicious too before entering actually!) Is a normal, town response. The thing is, To me: If one of Cat/Thy is Scum, One of the people basically sleeping on this game is probably, the mafia partner.
puts math hat on
I don't think that's right at all. There are 2/9 scum, so let's say you randomly pick 2 people. P(1 scum) = (2/9)*(7/9)*2 = 28/81 = 35%
Whatever the math, I don't care for your "highly likely possibility" statement. It smacks of guesswork and fabrication. I don't know if that's intentional. I'm willing to listen though, if you can analyse what makes it so likely to be TvM.

Pedit: what is PC?
Pedit 2: +1 to that, no need for personal attacks
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #193 (isolation #18) » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:46 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 189, faüstiv wrote: Basically, I think he's town and probability also suggests to me that he's town too. If we lynch him and he's town like I believe, then we don't really get much information from his lynch.
I can think of some uses for elimming him. We get to clear the air, so to speak. So long as we have him in D2 he will continue to be the center of discussion, and later scum will use him as a convenient lynchee. Besides, I still feel somewhat uneasy about his towniness. After getting everyone stirred up with his "scumslip", wouldn't a newtownie be working to regain trust and contribute discussion? Any townie, in fact. It's suspect that he laid low after those first few days, only emerging to post insubstantial comments.

The only other person I'd be comfortable limming at the stage is Fennec, he's only made his slot look worse since replacing - I agree with what catboi and kirigiri are saying. How many days are left? I will drop my vote soon, but I want to see more from those slots.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #206 (isolation #19) » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:45 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 197, thewingfan wrote:So I'm new to this site and all. But play ALL the time elsewhere on forums. This thing bugs me a bit.

"Think less when posting, nobody will get mad if you're slightly unclear, just answer questions and show genuine interest, but I will get annoyed by Day 2 if I can't get read on you just fyi"

Where I normally play, we have players who I can't read by D5 or D6. But then again a day lasts like 8 hours normally there. D2 seems a bit impatient to me?
Just fyi, D1 is 10 days and every game-day hence is 7 real days. So games can drag on for a looong time (but tend to speed up when we have more info). By the time D2 starts I have a good read on maybe half the players.
Anyway, welcome to the game! Looking forward to hearing fresh thoughts
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #214 (isolation #20) » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:12 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 213, kkirigiri wrote:you have a point with Thyn not really pushing his vote n catboi, but I guess I think that their day interactions are more difficult to contrive than you're suggesting. Maybe Maestro-catboi could pull it off with their experience, but even that's far from trivial. #29's third paragraph seems to strike me particularly as a genuine adverserial interaction for instance.
With Thyn, I don't see why he and catboi would co-ordinate a scenario where Thyn fabricates a semi-reasonable excuse to scumread him that other players might well latch onto and agree with, particularly in a newbie game. It'd be like taking a surgical scalpel to a Sunday roast - too sophisticated an instrument for the task at hand.
Funny thing, I've ended up turning my mind around. Just did a reread of catboi's posts in my last game, and I think the voting and posting patterns match up. Very much cooperative, liking to ask questions, etc. So let it be known I am townleaning catboi (for the first time).
In post 212, faüstiv wrote:
In post 211, kkirigiri wrote:I've been going over possible scum combinations in my head in case I'm barking up the wrong tree. Don't think if catboi is scum that any of Thyn, faust, Maestro or Sterling should be his partners - which brings me back to my question to faust as to what information we would get by voting him; I'd like an answer to that.

Also welcome to the game wingfan, glad to have the full complement at last.
Don't really get that logic. I agree that a steampunk/catboi team is very unlikely but I can't see anything to suggest that catboi/maestro or catboi/thryinth can't be a team. Thryinth has a vote on catboi but hasn't really been pushing the slot and Maestro has been wanting Steampunk offed most of the game. Their day interactions can easily be faked.

When I speak about information we would gain in terms of votes, I'm not always talking about whatever role catboi will flip. Through votes we can analyse voting patterns, wagon speed, reactions to being under pressure etc.

At this stage, we don't gain an awful lot if catboi is lynched and is town, but we will gain a lot by placing votes either on him or other players and putting pressure on those slots. We can then look at those voting patterns later down the line once we have confirmed player alignments. Ergo if catboi flips town, then we can analyse the wagon, same as if he flips scum we can review those who were perhaps hesitant to place a vote on him.

Not voting anyone and not putting pressure on slots only help scum.
Actually I switched my vote to you a while ago, I don't think the mod picked it up. It wasn't in vote tags. Initially I was pushing him due to his meta change (which he has explained to my satisfaction) but saw little reason to suspect him since. His tone and style of posting (chunky posts and one-liners) seem pretty much unchanged. Decent effort put into game.
The game feels like its cooled off since RVS and its associated discussion. You are right - the best way to move forward is voting.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #215 (isolation #21) » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:21 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Spoiler:
In post 178, catboi wrote:
In post 171, Fennec wrote:Alright, I'm at the computer.

Scratch going in-depth on my catboi reads, literally everyone has done it for me. Just look at faust and kiri's posts, then look at thy outright KNOWING that cat changed his meta (And also said that he did) and also a few things he also mentioned, You can already see why the fuck I find cat as a possible scum player. so doing it now: VOTE: Cat

So I wanna go into some reads of the... more sleepy people.

Faust - Seems the most town, Pointing out a lot of important details that needed to be mentioned and that I agree with is one thing, but his explanation of everything is generally, quite good, and not scummy. If you wanna know why, J U S T R E A D it is literally all in 2 pages before this post and the page it is on.
Maestro - More of a response type thing here: If your mentioning 1 scum is in Cat/Faust/Sterling, to me, your basically claiming Cat is scummy to you. you thought Sterling was suspicious for a kinda weird reason, think more in-depth about it, it is a scumread based on an obvious NAI set of posts. For now, I do think you are somewhat town for sure though.
Cee - I can't even get myself to think of you as EITHER town or scum. You don't even warrant a Null. Could turn up as the scum-partner of what maestro mentioned
Rockhopper - Literally has done fuck all. With POE though, I'm kinda thinking that this guy MIGHT end up being the scum-partner of what maestro mentioned. Rockhopper, please do something. and if you eventually get replaced which I think you will, can the replacement send some actual content so we can actually see what you think, and actually get some material?
If there's an opportunistic scum trying to take advantage of the pressure on me, it's fennec - I think the vote on me looks very convenient when I'd already expressed suspicion of the slot and sort of loosely suggested it could be aligned with sterling - sterling's "are you scum?" question to fennec was incredibly awkward.

Contrast this with what fennec said a few hours prior to this:
In post 140, Fennec wrote:Cat - Null - Not a good null! Null to me means you've acted both scum and town around the same amount! town should usually, be playing a lot more town! this one is more of a "Feels both scummy and towny, too early to tell" Type thing, so it isn't that bad!
The read was basically an in between one, maybe framed as a slight negative in that I wasn't being towny enough. That doesn't look at all like how fennec acted when faustiv outed his read on me, where he just goes, "yes!! good case!!! i agree!!!!!1!"

To me, it looks like fennec decided I was a good wagon the second someone gave him an excuse to hop on.

@catboi, I am still concerned with this post of yours. You make decent points about Fennec's possible scuminess, but you fail to add a vote for him.
Do you truly find him less scummy than Sterling? I'll get the ball rolling for you;
VOTE: Fennec
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #221 (isolation #22) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:49 am

Post by Thynhith »

In post 189, faüstiv wrote: Basically, I think he's town and probability also suggests to me that he's town too. If we lynch him and he's town like I believe, then we don't really get much information from his lynch.
What's this probability you were speaking of?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #224 (isolation #23) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:02 am

Post by Thynhith »

In post 220, Sterling the steampunk wrote:seeing how kkirgiri who played mafia on other sites before, and judging how she was able to get a read very early, I guess she's more used to playing by reads rather than power roles, I'm inclined to believe her feels. as well as Cat having suspicions and groups being able to make better guesses than individuals VOTE: Fennec

I still personally have stronger suspicions on maestro but the group is stronger than the induvial
lmfao
Faust, ya still think Sterling town? Swooping onto the waggon mere hours after I get it going? Too timid to be the second, so he saw my vote and took the chance?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #279 (isolation #24) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:18 am

Post by Thynhith »

In post 267, faüstiv wrote:VOTE: Thryinth

catboi, your defense is egregious and I don't have the energy anymore to argue about one argument in my case on on why you could be scum but whatever. Fairly sure this is scum.
At least have the respect to get my name right, and say why you're scumreading me. At this point you're just flailing your vote around.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #280 (isolation #25) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:23 am

Post by Thynhith »

In post 224, Thynhith wrote:
In post 220, Sterling the steampunk wrote:seeing how kkirgiri who played mafia on other sites before, and judging how she was able to get a read very early, I guess she's more used to playing by reads rather than power roles, I'm inclined to believe her feels. as well as Cat having suspicions and groups being able to make better guesses than individuals VOTE: Fennec

I still personally have stronger suspicions on maestro but the group is stronger than the induvial
lmfao
Faust, ya still think Sterling town? Swooping onto the waggon mere hours after I get it going? Too timid to be the second, so he saw my vote and took the chance?
Stop evading this. What do you think of Sterling's vote?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #292 (isolation #26) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:34 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 290, kkirigiri wrote:
Would I be able to convince you to vote him with me?
Don't want to be to be too hasty with votes right now, but yes. I've seen enough from Sterling that I'd happily vote for his elim when end of D1 rolls around.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #294 (isolation #27) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:37 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 290, kkirigiri wrote: Would I be able to convince you to vote him with me?
Don't want to be to be too hasty with votes right now, but yes. I've seen enough from Sterling that I'd happily vote for his elim when end of D1 rolls around.

Pedit: Looks like a typo of "overreacting"
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #295 (isolation #28) » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:44 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 280, Thynhith wrote:
In post 224, Thynhith wrote:

lmfao
Stop evading this. What do you think of Sterling's vote?
@Faust
Oi, respond to this. Does his vote make no impression on your read of him?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #302 (isolation #29) » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:07 am

Post by Thynhith »

In post 279, Thynhith wrote:
In post 267, faüstiv wrote:VOTE: Thryinth

catboi, your defense is egregious and I don't have the energy anymore to argue about one argument in my case on on why you could be scum but whatever. Fairly sure this is scum.
At least have the respect to get my name right, and say why you're scumreading me. At this point you're just flailing your vote around.
Well you haven't made a case on either of us. And quick review of your posts shows that you've
never
scumread me, so you're trying to get kiri on your wagon, why exactly? Looks very suspicious
In post 288, faüstiv wrote: That leaves kk/maestro/thry/ceejay in my scumpool and I townread the former more than I do the latter, so at this point, based on PoE, I think the scumteam is ceejay/thry.
And of course you've eliminated Fennec, Sterling, thewingfan from your scumpool. Great.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #324 (isolation #30) » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:10 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 310, faüstiv wrote:Thry isn't someone who actually pinged me as scum until I read his ISO. I feel like Thry is making posts which make him 'appear' to be actively scumhunting, but he's not really scumhunting. They're safe, 'radio-friendly' posts which sound pleasant, but aren't thought-provoking or provide anything interesting.

#89:
It's been a fascinating reread. Just want to note that I don't find this entirely satisfying, and Maestro has a valid concern.
1) It's plausible you weren't expecting me pick up on the change to your meta
2) Also plausible you made up an explanation after I pointed it out
Like this post for example. It's not very controversial. Tonally it reads town, but what is Thry actually saying here? "Just want to note that I don't find this entirely satisfying". Does nothing to pressure the slot.
It's plausible you weren't expecting me pick up on the change to your meta
Other people picked up on this.
Also plausible you made up an explanation after I pointed it out
Possibly, but this does nothing from a scumhunter's perspective. It's just stating the obvious.
Maybe a stretch but he could have been saying this to look reasonable and look like he is genuinely trying to sort cat? But then again, why not just look at catboi's game history, which can be found in his profile? Why does he feel the need to ask him directly? 87 is a post which reads tonally town and reasonable, but doesn't actually say anything, and there are a few of Thry's posts which are in a similar vein to this.
Finished catching up now. First impression is that there are few telling reads either way. But some interesting interactions.

@Sterling, I think most people want to get a better read on you, but you don't have much content. What are your reads right now? Even better, do you think anyone voting for you is scum?
Like what does this mean?

#126:
My forepromised reads list

Townlean
Maestro - feels pretty genuine/casual, hard to fake for scum.
Kirigiri - her declaration at the start feels too random for scum. But, Kiri, I would like to see you elucidate what part of Rose's first post made you scumread him.

???
Sterling - gut says he is newtownie, need to see more to be sure
Rock and Rose - not enough content
Catboi -
I would like to town read you, but I'm getting too much of a defensive tone. Im sure it will become more clear though. And your latest vote on Sterling - surely as SE you should know better than pushing newbies who have slipped up?

Faust - has quietly gone under the radar? Soft pushing sterling? Not happy with him unwilling to commit himself, very much an evasive attitude, so [VOTE: Faust]
I would like him to explain his own unvote.

Pedit: by that logic perhaps I should be scumreading you
Actually reading this, is this a scumslip? "pushing newbies who have slipped up". I quoted it because he's criticizing catboi for pushing on Sterling which he as also doing, but he's worded it in such a way that he
knows
Steampunk slipped up?
I can think of some uses for elimming him. We get to clear the air, so to speak. So long as we have him in D2 he will continue to be the center of discussion, and later scum will use him as a convenient lynchee. Besides, I still feel somewhat uneasy about his towniness. After getting everyone stirred up with his "scumslip", wouldn't a newtownie be working to regain trust and contribute discussion? Any townie, in fact. It's suspect that he laid low after those first few days, only emerging to post insubstantial comments.
Policy vote isn't pro-town. Why is Thry advocating for this?

#215 he votes Fennec when he's a hot wagon. Interrogating me, his tone completely changes now that I've voted him. Unhappy that I townread three players, two of which, are voteable.
@Faust Oi, respond to this. Does his vote make no impression on your read of him?
It did make me townread him, but now I'm wondering if he's your partner based on #126

I am happy to reconsider my Steampunk read D2 if Thry flips scum, but PLEASE can we vote this today?
You're misrepresenting my posts. I was not in fact scumreading caboi when I made it, but had moved my vote long before. That post was me pushing him for a link so I could confirm his story about meta change. Why would you be expecting me to pressure him? And it means you've haven't even tried to metaread him, because if you did you'd know he's a mod, and that his ISO is cluttered with modded games. I have in fact reviewed his game history, which you would know if you had properly reread my ISO. If you're going to "scumhunt", do it properly? At this point you're just cherry picking posts.
In post 214, Thynhith wrote: Funny thing, I've ended up turning my mind around. Just did a reread of catboi's posts in my last game, and I think the voting and posting patterns match up. Very much cooperative, liking to ask questions, etc. So let it be known I am townleaning catboi (for the first time).

Actually I switched my vote to you a while ago, I don't think the mod picked it up. It wasn't in vote tags. Initially I was pushing him due to his meta change (which he has explained to my satisfaction) but saw little reason to suspect him since. His tone and style of posting (chunky posts and one-liners) seem pretty much unchanged. Decent effort put into game.
The game feels like its cooled off since RVS and its associated discussion. You are right - the best way to move forward is voting.
"Finished catching up now. First impression is that there are few telling reads either way. But some interesting interactions."
It means exactly what I said. I saw some interesting interplay between folks and Sterling, and wasn't interested in commenting on that. Kind of like you townreading thewingfan, for some reason.

As to the "policy elim", I am astounded that you actually read my post and missed
"I still feel somewhat uneasy about his towniness. After getting everyone stirred up with his "scumslip", wouldn't a newtownie be working to regain trust and contribute discussion? Any townie, in fact. It's suspect that he laid low after those first few days, only emerging to post insubstantial comments."

You're not even cherry picking posts anymore, you're cherry picking sentences of my posts. I mean wtf

His vote makes you townread him? So kiri asks for votes, I vote to pressure him. So that's two votes. Then after I've warmed it, Sterling gets on the wagon and you TOWNREAD him? OMGUS, I don't even want to engage with you anymore
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #326 (isolation #31) » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:14 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 312, kkirigiri wrote:I like those analyses by faust, at the very least I feel like I can firm up my estimation of him as town.

@Thynith, ceejay, what are your reactions? Do you feel as if he's arguing in bad faith, or do you think he's town who is simply wrong about you?
Ugh still think he's town, and someone I can't even work with
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #327 (isolation #32) » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:16 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 288, faüstiv wrote: Thewingfan is town. I'm not explaining why just yet, but he is town.
Any time before end of day would be great
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #336 (isolation #33) » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:55 am

Post by Thynhith »

In post 333, kkirigiri wrote:Asking for votes on anyone who isn't Fennec/Sterling/ceejay seems like you're just committing for the votes to be split.

@catboi is it common in newbie games for town to fail to eliminate anyone in the first round? Just getting wary that we might be going down this road as it stands, we've not got anyone to E-1 so far, and only Fennec has faced E-2, and only for a few hours.
I've never seen it happen, and in theory we should do everything we can to avoid it. Usually any elim is better than none. Ceejay and Sterling are still my preferred elims for the day. I'll be interested if Fennec returns from inactivity just to hammer someone.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #403 (isolation #34) » Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:54 am

Post by Thynhith »

In post 358, faüstiv wrote: 5. Your post is an incredibly hostile reaction considering you only have one vote on you and I am the only one scumreading you. It makes me think that I'm on the right track with my scumread on you.
"incredibly hostile reaction" Please cope with this, it happens when someone is acting so irrationally, not when I'm being scumread.
I mean again, wtf can I say? When you "push" someone and they decide to dignify it with a response, ya start scumreading them for responding?? Which part of my post is "incredibly hostile"?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #405 (isolation #35) » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:29 am

Post by Thynhith »

In post 358, faüstiv wrote:
You're misrepresenting my posts. I was not in fact scumreading caboi when I made it, but had moved my vote long before. That post was me pushing him for a link so I could confirm his story about meta change. Why would you be expecting me to pressure him? And it means you've haven't even tried to metaread him, because if you did you'd know he's a mod, and that his ISO is cluttered with modded games. I have in fact reviewed his game history, which you would know if you had properly reread my ISO. If you're going to "scumhunt", do it properly? At this point you're just cherry picking posts.
I haven't tried to metaread him because he said at daystart that he changes his playstyle every game, but I have read some of his past games for fun and they weren't too tricky to find. I even said in my case on you that this is reachy so it's pretty convenient that you chose to cherry pick this particular part of my case on you.
"Finished catching up now. First impression is that there are few telling reads either way. But some interesting interactions."
It means exactly what I said. I saw some interesting interplay between folks and Sterling, and wasn't interested in commenting on that. Kind of like you townreading thewingfan, for some reason.

As to the "policy elim", I am astounded that you actually read my post and missed
"I still feel somewhat uneasy about his towniness. After getting everyone stirred up with his "scumslip", wouldn't a newtownie be working to regain trust and contribute discussion? Any townie, in fact. It's suspect that he laid low after those first few days, only emerging to post insubstantial comments."
You're not even cherry picking posts anymore, you're cherry picking sentences of my posts. I mean wtf

His vote makes you townread him? So kiri asks for votes, I vote to pressure him. So that's two votes. Then after I've warmed it, Sterling gets on the wagon and you TOWNREAD him? OMGUS, I don't even want to engage with you anymore
1. I'm cherry picking parts of your posts that I found scummy.
2. My townread came on me thinking that Fennec doesn't townread Sterling if he's mafia and Sterling is town in that scenario. I said that Sterling could be partners with Fennec. That theory evaporated when Sterling randomly put him on E-2.
3. The "Finished catching up now. First impression is that there are few telling reads either way. But some interesting interactions." says nothing. You never elaborated on this. You threw in some nothing, 'lazy' analysis on the gamestate, which is my issue with your play overall.
4. You have failed to address my concern regarding your #126 regarding your potential 'scumslip':
Catboi - I would like to town read you, but I'm getting too much of a defensive tone. Im sure it will become more clear though. And your latest vote on Sterling -
surely as SE you should know better than pushing newbies who have slipped up?
This was said in such confidence, as if you
knew
he slipped up. You failed to address this in your defense and I think this was a more pertinent part of my case than the part which I claimed was 'reachy', which you conveniently decided to pick up on.
1. +1 for good scumhunting /s
Duh, everyone looks scummy if you do that.
2. Have you given no thought to the possibility of town!Fennec and scum!Sterling? That they aren't partners is evident.
3. Reread my response
4. Good, that's a main point then. Sterling surely "slipped up" with his references to a private thread and his role PM. People rightly latched onto those. I did know he had slipped up, that's why I said it like a fact. Wherefore scummy?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #406 (isolation #36) » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:46 am

Post by Thynhith »

In post 404, Sterling the steampunk wrote:Doctor please protect me
Why should doctor protect you? Since scum know you're untouchable, the doc should aim elsewhere to stop the night kill.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #424 (isolation #37) » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:17 am

Post by Thynhith »

In post 422, Sterling the steampunk wrote:
In post 406, Thynhith wrote:
Why should doctor protect you? Since scum know you're untouchable, the doc should aim elsewhere to stop the night kill.
But I'm the cop
What if the doc doesn't believe yiu?
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #431 (isolation #38) » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:12 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Sterling the steampunk wrote:
In post 406, Thynhith wrote:
But I'm the cop
In post 364, Sterling the steampunk wrote:I didn't want to put a target on my back, I'm the cop
Alright I'll stop messing around.
We need to go ahead and elim him anyway. Everything about this screams fakeclaim. Seriously, claiming cop when you're a newbie who's been acting scummy throughout D1, put on E-2?
I suspected it when I read his first post, his second post is a scumslip. I was trying to bait it out of him, but how would a cop know that?
Sterling knows that there is a doc in the game,
despite it being one of two setups.
Conclusion:
He or his teammate is a roleblocker.

VOTE: Sterling
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #432 (isolation #39) » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:21 pm

Post by Thynhith »

This puts Sterling on E-2.
Catboi, kirigiri, Faust, calling on you guys to please vote on this.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #434 (isolation #40) » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:55 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 433, ceejayvinoya wrote:UNVOTE: want some stuff from fennec/maestro first.
I doubt Fennec is getting replaced before EoD
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #435 (isolation #41) » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:56 pm

Post by Thynhith »

Just under 2 days left fyi
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #439 (isolation #42) » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:06 pm

Post by Thynhith »

In post 438, ceejayvinoya wrote:Feels a bit weird that Thynhith is suddenly rushing a wagon on a claimed cop and sort of ignoring voting me instead...
I have less reason to vote you. I'm pretty happy to keep you around, into D2 anyways. Cop claim is dubious, and he has some knowledge of doc being in our game. TMI
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #462 (isolation #43) » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:36 am

Post by Thynhith »

In post 327, Thynhith wrote:
In post 288, faüstiv wrote: Thewingfan is town. I'm not explaining why just yet, but he is town.
Any time before end of day would be great
Is this late enough? Please post before you forget.
Thynhith
Thynhith
Goon
Thynhith
Goon
Goon

Post Post #464 (isolation #44) » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:38 am

Post by Thynhith »

I think the night break will be good for all of us. Not good to get so heated by a mafia game. But I'd appreciate you staying civil.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”