Newbie 783 - Mongol Mafia - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #78 (isolation #0) » Mon May 11, 2009 2:28 am

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Hey everyone. Time to read the thread, I guess. :)
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #89 (isolation #1) » Tue May 12, 2009 12:24 am

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Do I get a random vote, since I just got here? :)
Unvote

Vote: Jarmo
, because it seems a shame to have missed that bandwagon.

Hur.

OK, my initial thoughts?

Most of the day so far as been policy discussion, lead by Pablo. That's good, that's his job, really, as an IC. Consider this the Tutorial Island phase of the day, I guess.

Jumping on my predecessor for the no-lynch vote was silly; but obvious. Jumping on Jarmo for jumping on BlyndsiCik was also a bit obvious; but the pile-on was very quick. Given the number of folks professing complete noobness, or something like it, probably not out of the ordinary, though.

Switching onwards to Shadeaux continued the trend, and I can see why Pablo thought it might be a good lever to get some pressure applied to Shadeaux. Didn't happen; though - because it got derailed by PP's Pablo redirection, which backfired rapidly. Odd though, because distrust of the IC is usually a natural beginning to noob games, I think. PP was clearly looking for a reason to vote Pablo, but whether that makes him scum, I'm not yet sure. I do know it's not a good look.
FoS: purple princess

In the last page, though, people have refocused on Shadeaux. Guy really should have just said: "Oops, I didn't mean to!", which would have worked just fine with the whole noob flavour; but instead chose to present his L-1 vote as a cunning plan. The original play was poor, but I'm having trouble seeing the follow-up as a scum play - more like noobtown.

However, I do agree that penguana is beginning to show some symptoms of active lurking. I'd be interested to get some more out of him.

Unvote
Vote: pengauna

P.S. Danny is sassy. Classic scumtell. :)
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (isolation #2) » Wed May 13, 2009 2:47 am

Post by Furpants_Tom »

OK, my penguana thing is clearly not going anywhere. And sitting here, with my vote dangling on someone who is clearly not under threat is only going to make me look scummier. So, I'm going to act on my previous FoS.

Vote: purple princess

Tell us again why you voted for Pablo?
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #101 (isolation #3) » Wed May 13, 2009 11:27 am

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Sure have. But I'm asking you to go over it again, because it's a few days later, and I'd like to see how you view it now.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #104 (isolation #4) » Wed May 13, 2009 7:25 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Just out of curiousity;

When's the deadline, oh great and powerful Khan?

(This humble worm beseeches your mercy...)

Deadline (Eastern; GMT - 4)

May 25th, 2009 11:59pm

Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #108 (isolation #5) » Fri May 15, 2009 2:16 am

Post by Furpants_Tom »

While I could live with a purple princess lynch, I think; I do feel it's not exactly safe to leave penguana hangin' out in lurky-land. I know pp's jumped on this idea, probably in part to save her life; but it's a fair point - is there a particular reason to target talkative and suspicious types over silent and suspicious ones?

Also, it pays to re-read the thread carefully. If I hadn't, I never would have noticed:
Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote: I think furpants_tom has a dumb name and is pro-town so far.
Response: Well you have a dumb face, and I'm pro-your mum so far! Dumbface! You smell like feet and one of your parents was a goat!

Just thought I'd bring the conversational tone up a little.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #114 (isolation #6) » Fri May 15, 2009 1:19 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Well, let's get Penguana to L-2 then. Put him under a bit of pressure, and see what comes of it. We can switch back to PP if necessary later.

Unvote
Vote: Penguana
FoS: purple princess
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #117 (isolation #7) » Fri May 15, 2009 4:48 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Well, maybe. But we've got some time to play with here, I'm not keen to leave someone on L-1 when there are other players who need questioning. Purple Princess isn't giving us much, despite the pressure; so I'm not sure where the payoff is in continuing to apply it.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #123 (isolation #8) » Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 am

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Icerint's read on me seems to have more to do with the guy I replaced, BlyndSikick. Shadeaux's play was dumb, but I think his reaction was dumber; and worse play for scum than for town. I'm not clearing him; but I'm not keen to focus in on him on the basis of that.

OK, if Penguana is genuinely MIA, we should choose someone else to pick on for a while. Anyone you'd suggest, or do you just want to keep at Shadeaux?
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #142 (isolation #9) » Sun May 17, 2009 6:29 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Iecerint wrote:He did make that inane post about DDD, though. :?
I thought it appropriate to fight childishness with childishness. Is that a scumtell, now?
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #153 (isolation #10) » Mon May 18, 2009 11:56 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

I've just found Ekim's questioning of Icerint over his trust of me pretty interesting. I wasn't really thinking about it much, because it seemed obvious to me that I was pro-town; but with a bit of perspective, it does seem quite a strong stance to take on one piece of evidence. Looking for justifications after the fact in my text is less suspicious, I think. More that that's just how argument works -

"What makes you say that?"
"Well, it's mainly this reason, but now that I think about it, I've found 5 more!"

So it doesn't strike me as particularly scummy. Backing away too easily in the face of criticism would; and although 129 and 148 are a little equivocal, I can't see a backflip in there. I considered whether it might be a shot at buddying; but let's be honest, I'm not a great candidate. I'd pick Pablo or Ekim, one of the most active players - someone whose opinion is likely to be more often and forcefully repeated.

So some parts of the act are odd, maybe not scummy, certinaly odd - but most of his reaction has seemed fairly town.

If we're doing pbpas, I'll post mine early tomorrow.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #163 (isolation #11) » Tue May 19, 2009 8:06 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Oops, forgot to
Unvote

Also missed my own deadline - I'll have that pbpa done tonight, hopefully.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #190 (isolation #12) » Fri May 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Iecerint wrote: (Granted, the last two now seem to've been symptomatic of player apathy, and FT's moved to my bad list lately for ignoring my question.)
Wait, which question? I've just been skimming for the past few days.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #268 (isolation #13) » Wed May 27, 2009 2:16 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

Oh man, I sure have sucked at life for the past couple of weeks.

I still have no pbpa. And I can't claim to have read the thread closely enough to have gotten a better feel for either semioldguy or tracker. I do know, however, that I thought Purple Princess was much dodgier than Shadeaux, and that carries over to SOG.

Vote: Semioldguy

I realise that my vote at this point has no effect barring a switch from one of the tracker voters; but it's important to flag my suspicions in a verifiable way, so that the rest of you can properly analyse me later. I also promise that if I haven't managed to put in some proper analysis by about a week into the next day, I'll request a replacement. Sorry about this.
Furpants_Tom
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Furpants_Tom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #273 (isolation #14) » Wed May 27, 2009 7:02 pm

Post by Furpants_Tom »

tracker wrote:unvote
vote: Semioldguy

putting SOG at L-1, nobody shove him into the noose w/o more info however, it's not that time yet. we need more analysis before lynching,
Wow, just read up to this. If you don't want him lynched, don't put him at L-1. I get that you're not keen on a lynching, but this is just raw scumtell. How is tracker not dead already?
DDD wrote:His last two posts are the proverbial nails in my opinion. In ISO 18 he reneges completely on the lurker hunt and admits to it being not a solid scum-tell, so his biggest contribution to the game was a pointless endeavor. Then in his last post he votes for SOG putting him at L-1, despite having expressed basically no interest in him previously and with no reasons in his post that I can see.
QFT

It's hammer-time.
Unvote
Vote: tracker

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”