Newbie 783 - Mongol Mafia - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Jarmo
Jarmo
Townie
Jarmo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (isolation #0) » Sun May 03, 2009 8:42 am

Post by Jarmo »

/confirm

Sorry guys, was gone for a few days.
Jarmo
Jarmo
Townie
Jarmo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #27 (isolation #1) » Mon May 04, 2009 4:59 am

Post by Jarmo »

Pablo Molinero wrote:

Btw, the vote for a no-lynch is sorta silly since we only have a 50-50 chance of getting a cop for investigative results. Otherwise we're just giving the mafia a free kill and putting the town at even numbers (which is bad, due to endgame situations, see the following...)

Lynch today:

9 lynch to 8
8 NK to 7
7 lynch to 6
6 NK to 5
5 lynch to 4
4 NK to 3 - Mafia win

- Town gets 3 lynches

OR

No Lynch today:

No Lynch
9 NK to 8
8 lynch to 7
7 NK to 6
6 lynch to 5
5 NK to 4 - Mafia win

- Town gets 2 lynches.

The lynch is the only way for the town to kill mafia. Even if we're taking a random shot, it's better than no shot at all. Any naysayers?
I completely agree. A no lynch on the first day, while, yes, chances are greater of hitting an innocent, still has odds of hitting a mafia, while night lynches (for the first few nights at least) are typically 100% innocent killings.

Not to mention all the valuable information garnered from the discussion of choosing a player to lynch. You can tell a lot about a person by what they say and how they vote.

Along the same thought process, the person that stands out to me from current voting is Blyndsikick. A no lynch favors the mafia. It gives them a free day.

Vote: Blyndsikick

ekiM wrote:
No lynch is no good; it cedes control of the game to the scum and pins our hopes on power roles we may not even have.

Vote: Jarmo. Lurker scum.
Hopefully, my name starts to be cleared of the lurker scum label. I didn't think I would be associated so quickly with such a title! Shame on me.
Jarmo
Jarmo
Townie
Jarmo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (isolation #2) » Mon May 04, 2009 6:00 am

Post by Jarmo »

Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:
BlyndSikick wrote:it'd be my first game on this site, 3rd game overall (if that matters...)
^From the Newbie Queue.

Probably doesn't have much experience with game theory and voting for him without him giving a response to Pablo's posting of the math behind no lynch being a bad idea seems premature.
At this point in the discussion, I have to go off what is out there. For the moment, he seems the best vote to me. It may change, at which point, my vote will change.

We;re all kind of going blindly in the dark together. We go off what we have.

I've got experience playing this game on other sites and through live games. I'm currently hosting my own Mafia game through in-game forums at Kingdom of Loathing.
Jarmo
Jarmo
Townie
Jarmo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #48 (isolation #3) » Wed May 06, 2009 3:40 am

Post by Jarmo »

ekiM wrote:
Jarmo wrote:At this point in the discussion, I have to go off what is out there. For the moment, he seems the best vote to me. It may change, at which point, my vote will change.

We;re all kind of going blindly in the dark together. We go off what we have.
Purely out of interest, did you actually find his move scummy or was it one of those reflexive vote-for-the-anti-town-newbie moves?
It was a vote for the anti-townie move. This, remember, was prior to knowing he was such a newbie (granted the thread kind more or less gives the odds of him being a newbie). I've found those voting for no lynch the first day right off the bat tend to be either mafia or those that aren't quite sure how to play through a game. Both ways, in my opinion, can hurt the townie chances of winning.

However, he has since shown an interest in crunching a few numbers and looking into more debate and has taken his vote back. In which case, so will I.
Vote: Unvote
ekiM wrote:
Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:
Unvote

Vote: Jarmo

Bandwagon-a-go-go.
I heartily endorse this.
That's just disheartening.
Show
.role. w/l
.townie. 0/0
.mafia. 0/0

Currently playing: Newbie 783
Jarmo
Jarmo
Townie
Jarmo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #85 (isolation #4) » Mon May 11, 2009 11:49 am

Post by Jarmo »

Wow, pardon me for my total lack of involvement. My activity will spike from here, I promise. I missed a few days without a computer, so to see so many posts is awesome. I had to go back a bit a read what was going on.
Shadeaux wrote:
ekiM wrote:OK, so you were aware you were putting him at L-1 without saying so. Were you setting a trap as you describe? Or were you scum leaving a townie at L-1 hoping a newbie might not realize he was at L-1 and hammer him, taking out a townie and setting themself up to get lynched on Day 2. Hmm?
Sure you can toss the two options around all day. Do YOU think a townie would've quick-lynched Jarmo? Or a scum would've been more likely? I gambled the latter. But I'm beating a dead horse now.
I think a "gamble" like this so early is a bit odd. A move like this later in the game, after a death or two, when people have more of a feel for who a person may or may not be, would be much more effective. If you have a person in mind as suspicious and they fall into your trap, you've got an idea and something more to go off of.

Doing it so early is odd because it looks more like a way to set someone up to fall rather than a way to find out more about a person. Does that make sense?

I'm going top remain with my no vote, but definitely going to
FoS: Shadeaux

I also want to point another, much smaller (possibly a pinky toe sized)
FoS: purple princess
for apathy to living or dying. The object is to live, no matter what side you're on. You can't much help either side if you're dead. Just seems like a way to try to get attention off herself. Immediately makes me think she's mafia trying to convince people she's townie because of her lack of care towards death. A mafia (typically) would strive to stay alive to even out the numbers. Townies, because of their inherent number advantage, are allowed a few deaths here and there. Just interesting to me...
Show
.role. w/l
.townie. 0/0
.mafia. 0/0

Jarmo
Jarmo
Townie
Jarmo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #113 (isolation #5) » Fri May 15, 2009 12:52 pm

Post by Jarmo »

purple princess wrote:Hmmm, well I can see that it looks like I am going to be the first one lynched. I can't really deffend myself to stop this happening.
Would just like to say that both Jarmo and Penguana don't really seem to be adding anything to this game, are they being quiet to avoid suspicion?
No, I've just been busy. In fact, I'm going to have to back out of my spot to give it up to a reserve, as I apparently just don't have the time I thought I was going to have to really take part and be a good member of this mafia game. I apologize for that.

I will, though, leave with a few parting words. I still maintain my two FoS picks, Shadeaux and Purple Princess. However, if I were to vote right now, I would vote Penguana. A quick jump with Pablo to vote for Shadeaux without a lot of explanation, as well as the lurking, makes me feel as though he is trying to keep himself as far out of the game as possible, while lining up with one of the more innocent feeling players in the game so far.

Again, I apologize for dropping out, I feel I am a detriment to the game by being so inactive. Good luck everyone!
Show
.role. w/l
.townie. 0/0
.mafia. 0/0

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”