Newbie 1233: Frogs & Toads Mafia (Town Win!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
asher1611
asher1611
Goon
asher1611
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:13 am

Post by asher1611 »

/confirm

Hello everybody. And...

SPOOOOOOONGUARDDDDDD

VOTE: twistedspoon
asher1611
asher1611
Goon
asher1611
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (isolation #1) » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:47 am

Post by asher1611 »

In post 9, Twistedspoon wrote:
In post 8, asher1611 wrote:And...

SPOOOOOOONGUARDDDDDD

I feel old when I don't get the internet references anymore :<

Fun Questions to one and all

1) Have you played mafia before (on MS, another site, IRC etc.)?
2) How often can we expect to hear from you (At least once per day is a good baseline) and what timezone are you?

That'll do for now methinks~

Funny you should mention it, because that's actually a very old (relatively speaking) internet reference.

Q1) Yes I have played mafia on this site and other sites.
Q2) It depends on what work throws at me. It could be once a day or more. I could get yanked away for a few days, but I make sure to post and say if that's the case.

I'm EST.
asher1611
asher1611
Goon
asher1611
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (isolation #2) » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:04 am

Post by asher1611 »

Almost there, woohoo. Still confirming and still present.
asher1611
asher1611
Goon
asher1611
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (isolation #3) » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Post by asher1611 »

VOTE: Larry David for the OMGUS appeal, plus I was wondering if your username was a reference to that show or not. Avatar confirmation confirmed.

Q1) Do you have any experience with mafia games ( This site or others)

I have one completed game on this site and one game I am currently in on this site. I have played many other mafia games on other private forums and in real life settings.

Q2) What time zone are you in?

Eastern USA.

Q3) How often can we expect a post from you?

Hopefully at least once per day, more if it gets heated.

Q4) What role do you like to play the most?

Vanilla townie because it forces me to work to get info instead of having a bunch of it sitting in front of me. Contributing to wins as a VT is the most satisfying (because it can be so damn hard)

Q5) How do you guys feel about lurkers or liars?

Do not like lurkers, but it isn't always a scumtell. Do not like liars. On the rare occasion it can be a smart town play, but usually it backfires and puts the town in a weaker position than it otherwise would have been. That said, I find honest scum more dangerous than lying scum even if scum have a requirement to at least twist the truth to achieve their objectives..
asher1611
asher1611
Goon
asher1611
Goon
Goon

Post Post #52 (isolation #4) » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:51 am

Post by asher1611 »

In post 51, Larry David wrote:
In post 48, asher1611 wrote:VOTE: Larry DavidI find honest scum more dangerous than lying scum

Could you explain this?

To me the most dangerous mafia are those who tailor their scum game to look like their town game. Town will spend a game honestly hunting for scum. If a mafia member can pull off the proverbial wolf in sheep's clothing, s/he is much harder to spot than someone who, over the course of a game, as attempted to manipulate the town through deceit/wagoning/etc.
asher1611
asher1611
Goon
asher1611
Goon
Goon

Post Post #58 (isolation #5) » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:34 am

Post by asher1611 »

In post 57, Larry David wrote:Well it seems like our IC has zero interest in this game. Anyone else any idea how to get this rolling here?

I don't see it as 0 interest just because TS hasn't posted in a day or so.

Also, RQS at least gets a lot of mouths flapping, but I've seen some people who read too much into them. On the other hand, I have seen people bust mafia day 1 based on their answers. I don't have that skill apparently.

Don't worry, the day is rolling.
asher1611
asher1611
Goon
asher1611
Goon
Goon

Post Post #76 (isolation #6) » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:37 am

Post by asher1611 »

In post 73, Voidedmafia wrote:Asher: Speaking of your observation, do you believe any of us 3 (our IC TS and the two SEs, one of which being myself) could possibly do the "wolf in sheep's clothing" act? I don't want you to say yes just because we're the SEs/IC, though.

To be honest, anyone can. That the three of you have more experience on this site is not entirely relevant to the question/observation. That's one reason I'm not too keen on using meta to try and pin down players. Past statements and past performance are not necessarily predictors of how players act in the current game because play-style is easily manipulated. And part of the fun of newbie games is that new players can be full of surprises.

Don't get me wrong, I've happened to read a game or two you (VM) were in while trying to figure out how people tend to play games on this site. I do have plenty of respect for you as a player. But what's in the past is out the window, and for the moment you're just a name and an avatar posting in this thread just like anyone else.

And FYI -- that isn't to say METAing doesn't have its uses. I've busted scum in the past in part by observing their constant activity in other games while making excuses about not fulfilling promises in the present game. It's just not the be-all-end-all some people make it out to be.
asher1611
asher1611
Goon
asher1611
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (isolation #7) » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:34 am

Post by asher1611 »

Still slow goings and I don't have too much to add at this point. With home situation though my brain is a little scattershot after the past few days.
asher1611
asher1611
Goon
asher1611
Goon
Goon

Post Post #139 (isolation #8) » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:57 pm

Post by asher1611 »

I'm still here but busy/hectic weekend. Nearly L-1 on Xeph already. Looks like I need to do some ISOs (in addition to Zenax and Voided's interaction -- which raised my eyebrows)
asher1611
asher1611
Goon
asher1611
Goon
Goon

Post Post #156 (isolation #9) » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:07 pm

Post by asher1611 »

In post 131, Xephoria wrote:@Zenax At that time I wasn't reading much into it and didn't mind their argument since I couldn't have really done or added anything to it.
I'm not doing much because I don't have any reads other than gut reads but if thats what you want, just ask. :/

Then start from gut. It sure is better than sitting on the fence and saying "Nothing to see here."

In post 150, Voidedmafia wrote:...Okay, I have no goddamn clue what you're doing.

I do not either. Then again, it's interesting to see how you have questioned multiple people in this thread but it is only Chrimi who you beat against the brick wall with. You seem very willing to move from person to person.

In post 111, Voidedmafia wrote:Oh, it's a poem TS posted in one of my modded games (ongoing, so that's all I'm saying). He might just repost it anyways at this poinst, so meh...

Also, could you elaborate a little more on why having me pick up on your accusation is necessarily bad? I see your point about easy lynches, but those aren't all bad (they generally ARE, mind, but it's not like they're super horrible),
and isn't any extra bit of pressure to get Zeph to say something a good thing?

Is your goal merely to get him up and talking? A lot of your posts seem to be more trying to rile people up to get a reaction than scumhunting. I think it's time to break it down a bit -- what have you learned about the town from your interactions with its members so far Voided?

From my vantage point, I see a game where a lot of people are having trouble getting started and kind of waiting for others to do the pushing. Voided seems to either be trying to get the ball rolling or is merely trying to look like he is doing so to appear "town."

In post 94, Zenax wrote:
In post 91, Voidedmafia wrote:VM vs. the world? What's that supposed to mean?!

Just a vague reference to
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
and how you interacted with a lot of people in the game so far (Twistedspoon, Zyx, Larry David, asher1611, Chrimi). Okay, maybe they're not all townies, but I'd still rather go fish than join an argument I don't get the point of.

So we're all Voided's evil Ex's? Too bad I lost my vegan powers.

And I think you're overstating what voided is doing here. I don't think his aggressiveness necessarily makes him town, but you raising a "everybody vs X" fallacy does seem like it is trying to redirect attention onto voided to get other people to tunnel him.

In post 113, Zenax wrote:
Also, I'm not a fan of easy lynches.
Granted, sometimes you'll get lucky and nab a mafia that way, but more often than not it'll end up in having the doctor or other power roles lynched without them having the chance to correctly defend themselves. But that's pretty much the opinion you have worded differently.

I don't like where you're going with this. Why does one have to make a lynch more difficult for themselves than necessary? The process is simple: find the person who you think is most likely to be subverting the town, vote for that person, convince others to do the same, and lynch. If you were right, great. So many people are concerned about being in the crosshairs or espousing too much about making the "anti-town" play. To me this sounds like you're trying to appear town by speaking too much. Don't like bandwagons? Sometimes they happen with good reason and sometimes the scum slip and jump on board at the wrong time.

So instead of looking for people who are subverting the town, you get in an exchange with voided and follow it up by sitting back to take in the other fireworks while never fully resolving your points.

UNVOTE:
VOTE: Zenax
asher1611
asher1611
Goon
asher1611
Goon
Goon

Post Post #160 (isolation #10) » Tue May 01, 2012 2:52 am

Post by asher1611 »

Don't worry, I could follow what you wrote.

"You sure he needs to direct attention to me? Far as I can tell I should have the attention of pretty much everyone playing."

Of course you have people's attention, you have been the most active player in the game + you have the IC target on your back. My point is that he is merely looking to "redirect" attention to you, thus shedding attention brought to himself by the exchange you two drew each other into.

And yes, it does seem fairly obvious what your opinion of Chrimi is. I don't know what to make of it at this point other than stonewalling and waiting for X person to respond doesn't seem like terribly constructive Day 1 play.
asher1611
asher1611
Goon
asher1611
Goon
Goon

Post Post #161 (isolation #11) » Tue May 01, 2012 2:57 am

Post by asher1611 »

Would love to hear from Larry David, who has been idle a few days now that more has happened & LluD, who has been off of V/LA since Sunday.
asher1611
asher1611
Goon
asher1611
Goon
Goon

Post Post #166 (isolation #12) » Tue May 01, 2012 11:55 am

Post by asher1611 »

I hate doing this with the game so early and with the post above me requesting replacement.

Last week my wife got her termination notice at work. We have a 5 month old to support at home.
Today I got my two weeks notice at my job. When it rains it pours.

Mafia has to take a back seat.

request replacement

~Way in the back. Hope everything works out!~
Last edited by PeregrineV on Wed May 02, 2012 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”