Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (isolation #0) » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:22 am

Post by Huntress »

Hi everyone! I am the Inexperience-Challenged (IC) player in this game. Basically it means that if at any time you have any questions (not related to your role) about game mechanics, mafia theory or about anything that is happening in the game, feel free to ask and I will answer them to the best of my ability. Some things I may have to give a partial answer for because of the game being ongoing. If that happens I will let you know and will make a note to come back to it after the game is over. If you have any questions related to your role then please send a PM to the mod as these should not be asked in game.

I guarantee that I will not lie about theory and practice regardless of my alignment, and my alignment is randomized along with everyone else's so I could be either town or mafia.

I highly recommend reading Fonzie's Guide to Early Game Survival for Newbies. Good for not-so-new players too!

Usually, once the game has officially begun, we start the game with the
Random Voting Stage (RVS)
, where we vote for randomish reasons. The purpose of this is to immediately get people talking about things and to help get the game moving. Not everyone votes in their first post as you'll see when playing or reading more games. I sometimes do and sometimes don't. RVS tends to go on for a page or so until someone finds something worth following up.

Some people prefer to start with a Random Question Stage (RQS) instead, where they ask everyone to reply to a set of questions which may or may not appear relevant to the game. The danger of this is that players may inadvertantly say something which gives a clue to their role. (And be wary because some questioners may actually be fishing for this!)

Vote, but don't quicklynch!
If your vote puts someone at L-1 (only one more vote needed to lynch), then say so. The next person who wants to vote that person should declare intent to hammer and ask for a claim before making the final vote. We don't have a fixed-length Day phase here so the Day ends as soon as a majority, in this case five votes, is reached. The deadline is only there to stop the day going on too long.

If you want to refer to other games that's fine
as long as they are over
Never talk about other ongoing games.

I'll add more stuff as we go along but the best way to learn is from experience so jump in, keep active (try for at least one post a day), and have fun!

More useful links:
Glossary
Commonly Used Abbreviations
Newbie Guide
A Beginner's Guide to Being Awesome At Mafia
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (isolation #1) » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:50 am

Post by Huntress »

Let's find out then, shall we?

Vote: BlueGenie
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (isolation #2) » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Post by Huntress »

In post 11, BlueGenie wrote:... what harm can an inexperienced, innocent newbie cause?
:igmeou:

But I like so:

Vote: Voctus

Self-voting in RVS implies you want to avoid making connections or treading on people's toes.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (isolation #3) » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:09 pm

Post by Huntress »

@ Pyra:
Why bubblecube rather than BlueGenie or Voctus?
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (isolation #4) » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Post by Huntress »

In post 16, Draynth wrote:Well I guess those 2 are going to be replaced.
@Huntress, do you agree or disagree with ?
As I indicated in , by using the IGMEOU emote, it's a wait and see thing.

Yes, the missing newbies will likely be replaced as they haven't been back to the site since they first signed up.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (isolation #5) » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Post by Huntress »

In post 18, bubblecube wrote:I don't know how to quote multiple posts, so
If you use the Q+ button at the top right of the post it will accumulate the quotes until you press either the quote or the reply button. Or you can do what I do and build up your post in a separate tab, just copying each quote in as you come to it.

Main thing to remember with quotes is to just quote the part of the post you are replying to. Don't quote the whole post unless it's all relevant. If you highlight the part of the text you want, then press quote, it'll only quote that part.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (isolation #6) » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Post by Huntress »

I think it took me longer than that before I found out about it. :P

Problem is, it doesn't handle tags well, so I often still need to quote the whole thing and edit out the unwanted bits.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #28 (isolation #7) » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:36 pm

Post by Huntress »

Hi Charles!

What do you think of the three wagons so far?
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (isolation #8) » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:25 pm

Post by Huntress »

In post 30, Pyra wrote:Asking a new player what they think of page 1 wagons probably isn't going to get very far lol.
What do you think I was looking for when I asked that question?
In post 30, Pyra wrote:@Huntress, I saw no reason for me to vote the other two based solely upon the fact that they already had votes on them (genie didn't even talk yet lol). Plus, correct me if I'm wrong here, wouldn't starting a third wagon open it up for everyone else? Having three more established options to vote for just seems like it would be better for gathering some form of information than only having two. It's not like any of the first votes on page 1 have any significant commitment put into them anyways, so I'll probably end up changing my mind later (or not).
Why would you want to open up a third wagon for everyone else? What information could you get from spreading the vote that you couldn't get from focusing on one or two wagons?
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #45 (isolation #9) » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Post by Huntress »

@ bubblecube:
You're welcome! :] And the unvotes you did in and were both fine. Bold tags are as good as the vote tags, although the first one would have been better put on a new line, (and some mods insist on that).
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (isolation #10) » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:30 pm

Post by Huntress »

In post 42, Voctus wrote:Now this is truly unhelpful. No voting, no assessment, multiple posts to "participate" but no content.

Yeah I know I did it too at first but I just wanted to avoid posting something "YOLO let's play some mafia" and I mistakenly thought it would be cute. Now there's actually some voting to analyze and Charles wants to lie in the weeds.
What's your analysis of the voting so far?
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #79 (isolation #11) » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:06 pm

Post by Huntress »

Hi, Ciara and Geralt!

@ Pyra:
What's your impression of Charles play so far?

Unvote
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #100 (isolation #12) » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:15 am

Post by Huntress »

I've been a bit under the weather so haven't been able to focus on this over the weekend.

So far I've got a slight scum read on Pyra. My gut tells me that Geralt might be scum but I need to take another look at that when I can think more clearly.

Vote: Pyra
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #111 (isolation #13) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:41 am

Post by Huntress »

In post 102, Draynth wrote:@Huntress
What specifically makes you think Pyra is scum?
Look at his ISO. What do you make of it?

In post 107, The Great Lakes wrote:Huntress was your Voctus vote serious or random?
Hi there! My vote on Voctus wasn't random, but was only slightly above that. Serious enough for a page one vote though.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (isolation #14) » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:27 pm

Post by Huntress »

It was your entrance to the game, producing a full reads list at such an early stage including three scumreads, and then dropping two of them in your next post for little reason, that felt off. As did a couple of your questions to Charles in .

It remains just a gut read for now.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #127 (isolation #15) » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:04 pm

Post by Huntress »

Hi warng!

@ Draynth:
You said quite a bit in about what was in Pyra's posts, but what about what was missing from them?
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #139 (isolation #16) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:14 pm

Post by Huntress »

In post 133, The Great Lakes wrote:Warng is definitely scum. Trying to play it safe by using outdated guides and not actually trying to solve the game
Not all the guides are outdated. And even the older ones still have some good stuff in them. You'd probably do well to read some of them yourself. As for gamesolving, he's done as much as you have, even before his last post, while you appear to be just jumping on his bandwagon.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #140 (isolation #17) » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:30 pm

Post by Huntress »

@ bubblecube:
Any thoughts on anyone yet?
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #164 (isolation #18) » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:34 pm

Post by Huntress »

In post 142, Voctus wrote:Notice how she didn't answer the question?
I did answer it, by asking Draynth a question; partly because his wording pinged me a bit, and partly because it reminded me of his . His reply was more information than analysis and it wasn't until I pointed that out, that he changed his mind on Pyra and voted him.

As for the rest; yes, I ask lots of questions but, contrary to what you imply, I have given reasons when asked for them. And that includes the above example, although in that case I was directing him towards the answer rather than just giving it.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #165 (isolation #19) » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:34 pm

Post by Huntress »

In post 150, Draynth wrote:It does, however, bother me that he doesn't supply any reasoning for bubble and voctus 'looking town'
I don't think anyone asked him to, did they? If you really wanted to know you would have asked TGL yourself.
In post 150, Draynth wrote:This slot in general has provided little to no content (All of the posts are quoted above), and is only posting to avoid getting prods.
Only one of those posts, , looks like a prod dodge, so to say TGL is only posting to avoid prods is disingenuous. He has only been in the thread for four days.
In post 153, The Great Lakes wrote:Draynth are you saying I'm bussing my partner right now? Because if I know that he's scum, and I'm scum, then I'm voting my partner, right?
Good point.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #174 (isolation #20) » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Post by Huntress »

Unvote: Pyra

@ TGL:
Can you please quote where warng cited guides as the basis of his reads? Because I don't think he did. Also, can you please reply to the first part of which you seem to have ignored.

@ Draynth:
Can you comment on the points I raised in please.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #175 (isolation #21) » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Post by Huntress »

In post 158, Ciara24 wrote:Reading back through the posts and this stood out to me. With BlueGenie/The Great Lakes, and Charles II/Warng both on this wagon of Voctus early on in the game, despite Voctus looking like a townie.

Based on Draynth's last post and this vote, I think I'm happy to vote The Great Lakes at this moment. Something just not sitting right about the posts overall.
Was Voctus looking like a townie when BlueGenie voted him in his first post of the game? Why are you using an rvs vote to bolster your case on TGL?
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #176 (isolation #22) » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Post by Huntress »

In post 166, Voctus wrote:Should we really need to ask, though? What's the point of giving your opinion without explaining why?
It's relatively normal to give town reads without explanation. Some of us prefer not to give town reads at all early in the game as it can help scum too much. Others find town reads easier to get than scum reads, so try to sort those first.

In post 166, Voctus wrote:I think you do answer stuff when asked directly (for the most part) but you don't volunteer reads and your answers have you playing very safe. By asking a question instead of outright explaining you are giving us less ability to get a read on you. That's what I don't like.
Questions, and trying to work out motives, are very much a part of the way I scumhunt. Explanations can sometimes get in the way of that. At this point in the game I'm more interested in finding scum than bothering about how people are reading me. You are always welcome to ask me questions too.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #178 (isolation #23) » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:24 pm

Post by Huntress »

Interesting? Or scummy?
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #186 (isolation #24) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:53 pm

Post by Huntress »

In post 179, Ciara24 wrote:Potentially both.
Only potentially? Yet you used it as part of the reason you voted TGL so you were implying then that it was actually scummy. Are you now saying it wasn't?

What do you think about the points I made about Draynth's case in my ?
In post 182, Ciara24 wrote:@Huntress: with one day remaining until the deadline, who do you think we should Lynch today? What are your views on the current THL wagon?
I was hoping to get responses back from Draynth and TGL first before commenting on it, but as time is short I'm going to go ahead anyway. I don't like the TGL wagon. You've already seen the points I made to Draynth and yourself about your cases, and Geralt's case just seems to be sheeping Draynth. Warng's vote in is the only one that looks natural.

As I said in , Draynth has been pinging me a bit, and continues to do so with his ignoring my comments on his case. He's my top scumread at the moment.

Vote: Draynth
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #187 (isolation #25) » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:01 pm

Post by Huntress »

In post 183, Ciara24 wrote:Is it possible that we will require an extension if bubblecube and Pyra don't respond to their prods before deadline?
Hopefully we'll get an extension if bubblecube needs replacing, but that's up to the mod.

In post 185, Voctus wrote:I've been following the TGL wagon and find it compelling, but need to reanalyze before considering hammer.
Just a reminder to everyone to ask for, and wait for, a claim if you intend to hammer.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #193 (isolation #26) » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:32 am

Post by Huntress »

40 minutes to the deadline.

TGL: If you're around please claim now.
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #194 (isolation #27) » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:02 am

Post by Huntress »

Vote: The Great Lakes
Huntress
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Huntress
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #801 (isolation #28) » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Post by Huntress »

Congrats, Mafia! And good game everyone. :D

Sorry I wasn't able to get to this yesterday. I'll have a look through tomorrow to see if I've got anything to add.

Return to “Completed Newbie Games”