Newbie 1838: Pirates vs Ninjas: GAME OVER!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (isolation #0) » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:08 am

Post by Bellaphant »

VOTE: acid p

Why a naked vote?

Hi all, Ic spiel to come later. I know none of you, let's get started!
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (isolation #1) » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:29 am

Post by Bellaphant »

You might've been slow to confirm?
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (isolation #2) » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:55 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

@nauci, RVs is never too early for a wagon.

Actually, everyone: discuss!

IC post in the am.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #45 (isolation #3) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:30 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Ic stuff! Mostly stolen from Thor and Plotinus

Spoiler:
Welcome to the Newbie Queue! For some of you this may be your first game. I'm the IC: That means Inexperienced Challenged - I'm here to introduce you to ideas, theories and be an example of a playstyle. I also have to answer any questions you have about theory honestly (the SEs can answer, but the honesty rule doesn't apply :P). I'll also include some hints and tips, in this spiel, of things to look at so you aren't discovering what terms mean months into your mafia life! (I only learnt what LAMIST meant last week!). I can't lie to you about mafia theory, but I will play to win.

I have the same chance of being town or scum as anybody else here!

The rules for how I have to behave towards you guys are all written up here: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit ... _a_good_IC If I break these rules, I won’t be allowed to IC again in the future.

THE WIKI
There are lots of good articles on the wiki, you should check them out. Good places to start are | http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit ... _Mafiascum http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit ... e_to_Mafia

If someone uses a word you don’t know, check here: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit ... reviations

There are lots of other articles that can help you:http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit ... y_Articles

GAMEPLAY
Read the rules in Post 1! Every mod has slightly different rules and it’s important to always know what the rules are in this game.

We usually start out with RVS or Random Voting Stage. Right now, there isn't much information - and scum have more than town. We start by voting (perhaps at random, maybe because you don't like someone's avvie, etc) and move on from there. As town, your votes are your weapon. We don’t want to lynch anybody right away, though! We have 2 weeks and we don’t need to take all of them but we need to take as much time as we need.

Try to post at least once a day, more often if you can. Being active helps other people to read you and figure out that you’re town and avoids lurker suspicion if you are town (also, how are you gonna mislynch the lovely townies if you don't post?) Generally, don't lie as town, and don't self-vote.

Have fun, and don't be a dick!

POWER ROLES AND CLAIMING
If you have a power role, you shouldn’t claim unless you’re about to be lynched (L-1 with intent to hammer), which on the first day means 4 people are voting you and 1 more person has said they want to vote for you. Later on, you should only claim if you know somebody is guilty or if it is LYLO (day 3 if we don’t lynch any mafia, later if we do.)

Even if you are a vanilla townie, you shouldn’t claim for no reason because the mafia is trying to figure out who the power roles are and if you tell them you are vanilla then you just make it easier for them to find the power roles! Again, don't lie if town.

Sometimes scum lie and claim they have a role that they do not. If someone claims, some roles can counterclaim. If you have a role PM related reason to believe someone is lying it is very important for you to claim and speak up!

ADDITIONAL STUFF

Pressing Reply (rather than just replying at the bottom of your screen) allows you to do things like vote, direct to individual posts etc. Lemme know if you have any questions.

At the bottom of the screen is a link that says “Bookmark this topic”. You should click that and then you can always find the game in your Bookmarks.

At the top of the screen there is a link that says View your posts. You can see all the threads you’ve commented on there.

If you don’t have an avatar yet please get one!

You can iso people by looking at the activity and clicking on their posts. This will allow you to see one person's post in isolation.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (isolation #4) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:38 am

Post by Bellaphant »

In post 23, Nauci wrote:
In post 22, Bellaphant wrote:@nauci, RVs is never too early for a wagon.

IC post in the am.
Pffft you're just scum wanting me to mislynch Acidphoenix!

VOTE: Bellaphant
I like this. Assuming it's a jokey vote, it seems relaxed for scum.

In post 25, wilky wrote:
In post 22, Bellaphant wrote:@nauci, RVs is never too early for a wagon.

IC post in the am.
I agree with this. A wagon from RVS can move the game into a more serious stage pretty quickly and gives scum less time to hide in the randomness.
yupp
In post 35, mozamis wrote:well, yeah, but you'd be surprised how often you CAN do that if people post a lot, give out loads of reads, be helpful and transparent - in general be really town
i find it's often easier to work out who is town than who is scum.
In post 42, mozamis wrote:So scum in Alonzo, Golden,Blooper, Acid, Belle???
This all seems really weak advice. Scum can be town leaders, and town, especially pr twn, can lurk. The best town play is to be open, but anyone generating a scum pool this early seems fake. or ridiculusly optimistic.

In post 43, wilky wrote:On re-reading I think Blooper's can be seen as a soft townslip aswell, Scum! Blooper would have probably realised he couldn't post pre-game when the PT was made and had it rectified then.
is this a fakeable thing, wilky? I noticed this too, but am unsure it means anything.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #50 (isolation #5) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:10 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

VOTE: alonso

l-2
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #57 (isolation #6) » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

Oh, i don't disagree that you can get early scum pings. Or town reads, but I think these have to be really clearly backed up.

alonzo, because you aren't generating content
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #67 (isolation #7) » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:34 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Honestly, you pointing it out did way more for my read on you than him.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #79 (isolation #8) » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:03 am

Post by Bellaphant »

@blooper, nauci had already moved her vote off me by your post.

Game feels super slow. Everyone, ask someone a question . I'll start:

@nauci, can you explain your read on me?
@wilky, what do you think about acid's latest post?
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #80 (isolation #9) » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:04 am

Post by Bellaphant »

mod, paradox is due a prod :)
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #86 (isolation #10) » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:38 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Yeah, can you explain that list more?
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #88 (isolation #11) » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:40 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Did someone say they'd played with Alonzo before? Was he as lynch baity there?
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #103 (isolation #12) » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:21 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Honestly, no one is generating enough content for me to be super confident in a read - even my read on Alonzo is weak. I'm a little suspicious of nauci.

If you have suspicions of me, you need to engage me. Throwing out a vague scum read and then not backing it up isnt solving things.

From an IC point of view, pressure without a vote is pointless at this stage.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #104 (isolation #13) » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:22 am

Post by Bellaphant »

I tr wilky, and sorta moz.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #110 (isolation #14) » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:41 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

UNVOTE:

More when I'm not on a train, but I agree with a lot of what nauci said.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #158 (isolation #15) » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:43 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Sick af, sorry guys.

But: we don't hammer without a claim, especially with this long left in the day.

nauci, a bus driver is a very specific role here as well.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #200 (isolation #16) » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:14 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Sorry, I' here and catching up.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #201 (isolation #17) » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:30 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Hi moz. I hate day 1. If there's something you want from me, ask me questions, challenge me. Just repeating 'here is a scum pool' isn't helpful. It would also be great if you let us any distinguishing factors between that list: any likely pairs, any stronger reads, etc.

all of wiky's page 6 analysis makes me super happy.

When I was sick, I was trying to say that nauci's slip looks worse for nauci than alonzo: lynching alzono as the weaker player is the worst option.

Moz is hurrying the lynch in a really gross way on page 7: protocol is to claim only when there is intend to hammer. With as much of the day left as we had, this looks suspicious. With his join date he has to know this...

I lie nauci's

from wilky is pretty much my thoughts . Nauci has a similar post later.

ugh, alonzo claimed? Seriously, guys, don't do this. Also, your read on me has changed? Why? Because I wasn't here? Later you say backseat driving, and even later I've got a pass. I'm not sure how my reead has gone 360 from you when I...haven't been here?

Replace in seems towny, if a little hedgy.

@acid, can you explain some of your reads? Most of what I've seen is you steering towards a lynch, not actually trying to sort slots. Do you know Jo?

Moz, acid and Alonzo are my scum reads. The first two for all the pressure to lynch, not backed up by content from acid, and alonz was getting a pass from me before his read n me went all faily: newb scum have a hard time keeping this sort of thing consistent, which it looks like he might've been tripped up by.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #202 (isolation #18) » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:34 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Other random thoughts!

Nauci, let's not policy lynch in a newbie? Feels like bad habits.

Also, wagon analysis is shit, but I hate how the current leading one is made up.

I feel nothing about the glden paradox and the slot Jo replaced into, so I guess that is my null line. I need to look at smiles more.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #217 (isolation #19) » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:12 am

Post by Bellaphant »

@alonzo, clairfy that read on me?

Again, do not hammer without a claim, and do not claim without intent to hammer..

Still town reading wiky to fuck.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #239 (isolation #20) » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:05 am

Post by Bellaphant »

In post 228, Jodaxq wrote:
In post 201, Bellaphant wrote: @acid, can you explain some of your reads? Most of what I've seen is you steering towards a lynch, not actually trying to sort slots. Do you know Jo?

Moz, acid and Alonzo are my scum reads. The first two for all the pressure to lynch, not backed up by content from acid, and alonz was getting a pass from me before his read n me went all faily: newb scum have a hard time keeping this sort of thing consistent, which it looks like he might've been tripped up by.
I do not know acid and I have never played a game with him. I have no idea what he meant in post 198.

So your scum read reasoning on Alonzo differs from that of Moz and Acid. If you had to choose which actions were scummier, which one would you choose? If the lynch today is between Alonzo and Acid, who would you rather lynch?
Yeah, for sure. I also see a couple of links between moz and acid, although team hunting before a flip is a bad habit really. I think moz's weird scum pool feels super forced and inflexible, but also kinda safe, as it was some low hanging fruit and me for...reasons that have never really been explained. Like nauci said though, would he keep on scummy behaviour when everyone knows it's scummy? Maybe, because it outed a claim from someone, so from scum's perspective the nk is easier now.

Alonzo is harder to get a grip on because his posts seem more...you said organic, which works, but the flip side of that is like I said about his read on me: newb!scum are really bad at remembering what they've said they think, which is my big concern. It's less wifom-y than moz, though. I kinda want to see more interaction from him and slots that aren't nauci/alozno, but if my choice was to lynch between alonzo and acid, it'd be acid rn.

Can you explain your paradox read a bit more?

@nauci, what's made you town read smiles?

@smiles, can I get a readslist from you?
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #240 (isolation #21) » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:10 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Acid still didn't really back up his readslist with anything concrete, like Jo said. There's been a ton of content from jo, wilky is obv!town, and there isn't any pressure towardss moz from this slot at all: in fact, I had no idea acid was scum reading moz, as previously they seemed to be agreeing. i'd Like to hear a bit more from paradox and smiles, but I'd be happy to vote here.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #241 (isolation #22) » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:17 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Sorry, on a roll:

what worries me abut moz is that he has the most amount of posts here, but the vaaaast majority of them are just hurrying to a lynch. Whatever, he says, that's how he plays, but it isn't doing any of the things he said were good towniness in one of his early posts. His lynchpool hasn't developed: it's pretty much the same pool as it was on page 2, and his vote's been on alonzo since post 32. @acid, paradox, smiles: thoughts on this?
(and anyone else!)
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #245 (isolation #23) » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:05 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Para, thoughts on moz?
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #261 (isolation #24) » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:29 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Acid, I don't want like, post numbers and a detailed analysis, I literally want, 'I townread Smiles because....'

...alt slip?
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #263 (isolation #25) » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:31 am

Post by Bellaphant »

I thought thhere was some sort of rule about alts and the newbie q...

@mod, am i crazy?

For now, can you requote these posts with your acid account, so they appear in your iso?
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #270 (isolation #26) » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:43 am

Post by Bellaphant »

acid, you need to claim.

p-edit,

ugh.

I hate that you can't back up your townreads, and as much as i don't wanna rush the day, I'm kinda okay with this.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #284 (isolation #27) » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

I haaaate night kill spec, but wow that was a strange one. As Jo says, moz was 100% my preferred lynch for today.

Wagon make up suggests Alonzo is also town. I'm hard town reading wiky , so my scum pile is tiny.

Jo, nauci, please talk to me about smiles
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #318 (isolation #28) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

Honestly, I can't advise about strategy. As an IC I can talk about wagon composition and that we look at Alonzo's wagon as a potential mislynch - the scum flip on the counter wagon does suggest Alonzo is town.

We need to look at our weakest TR. Mine are para and smiles. I have two storing TRS - wilky and jo.

The strongest associations before a flip were of acid/moz. That's why the nk was so odd.

Also, we have way too many by claims around...
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #319 (isolation #29) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:11 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

Vt. I'm drunk
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #320 (isolation #30) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

I don't necessarily think smiles is scum. I'm just not tr-ing her as strong as the others
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #321 (isolation #31) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

Also , if willy is scum im nominating them for an award.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #325 (isolation #32) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

...^ is gross. Can lynch.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #380 (isolation #33) » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:37 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Intent to hammer
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #383 (isolation #34) » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:04 am

Post by Bellaphant »

You claimed vt?

Hammering in an hour when I get home.
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #387 (isolation #35) » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:09 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Also, Jo, don't answer that, it's role fishing.

There is no town motivation to asking whether para is goon or RB

Also, I can t quote rn but im 90% sure para scum slipped when he said id claimed vt.

Giving it til I get home to hammer so anyone can protest

P-edit

Ugh
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #392 (isolation #36) » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:20 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Good game town.

Beautiful work :))
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #394 (isolation #37) » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:23 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Thanks for modding too :))
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #417 (isolation #38) » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:14 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Actually, credit to alonzo: he towned it up enough that I think me and nuaci wouldn't've let him been lynched, which is fab

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”