Newbie 1269: The Sledgehammer of Van-Smashing (GAME OVER)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Newbie 1269: The Sledgehammer of Van-Smashing (GAME OVER)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Post by AGar »

Vans. They were everywhere. Invading your neighborhood, invading your homes. They had to go, the bastards. But who was a van.... and who was simply a working man? There was only one way to find out...

Mod:
AGar

==============

=============

Alive (5)
(
Bold
denotes a confirmed player)
Jun

Disturbed_One

Thurhame

(SE) denotes a Semi-Experienced player.
(IC) denotes the Inexperience Challenged player. The IC is here to help you learn the fundamentals of the game, and while playing to win, is bound by the guidelines in the article Being a good IC.

Dead (4)

Anachronism - Vanilla Townie - Lynched, Day 1

Zorblag
Ritzbiscuits
VG_Addict
- Town Doctor - Killed, Night 1

Robocopter87 (SE)
Code_X
rolandofthewhite
- Mafia Rolecop - Lynched, Day 2

NJAC - Vanilla Townie - Lynched, Day 3

Thor665 (IC) - Vanilla Townie - Killed, Night 3

Majiffy (SE)
Scumhunter
- Mafia Goon - Lynched, Day 4

Modkilled

Game Status

Game Over

Current Deadline

N/A

Rules

Stolen boldly from Oman, who stole it from someone else I've never heard of, who stole it from someone else, and modified to my needs.

[01] Votes must be in bold. If you do not bold your vote, it will not be counted. To vote: VOTE: AGar To Unvote UNVOTE: or UNVOTE: AGar. The site has vote tags which you can use. Please also make votes easily noticeable, preferably give them their own line.
[02] Unvotes are a nice courtesy, but not required to change votes.
[03] Lynching will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, their pleas are useless and any attempts to unvote will be unheeded. All players not yet dead after the hammer (meaning all alive save the lynchee) may talk in twilight, the period between the hammer and me locking the thread. If the day ends without a majority, no one will be lynched.
[04] You may VOTE: no lynch. Majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death.
[05] Deadlines for this game will be 3 weeks. Extensions may be given in extenuating circumstances, but the deadline will never be shortened.
[07] Do not discuss this game outside the thread unless your role states it. No-one may post in the thread when I declare it night (In case I don't lock it).
[08] Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. Stop typing. Not even a “Bah!” post. Just, just stop. Fingers off the keys. You're no longer breathing. Save it for after the game is over. I would love to hear from you after the game, just not when you could affect it.
[09] No small or invisible text. Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts either. This also includes any forms of adding encrypted text.
[10] Don’t quote any PMs from me or other players. If you do, I will cast Summon Nature's Modkill V on you.
[11] Nights will last 72 hours. You have within this time frame to send me any night actions you may or may not have.
[12] If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread or PM me. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging. You will be prodded after 48 hours of inactivity. You will then have 24 hours to post. In the event that a third prod is needed, I will just force-replace you, no questions asked. This will earn you a spot on my personal blacklist.
[13] I am fallible. If I make a mistake, aside from votecounts, please notify me via PM and I will attempt to rectify it.
[14] There is no Rule 6
[15]
RED TEXT IS MY TEXT.
Do not attempt to impersonate me, it will result in an ugly, lonely death. Accidents happen, and I can be forgiving, but do not test me.
[16] Play to win this game. Do not use it to build a meta-game of yourself for other games, this game is an island. Also, all players must read their role PMs and understand their role before playing. If you have a question PM me.
[17] Remember, it’s a game and it’s supposed to be fun. Be nice to your fellow players and your mod.

The setup used for newbie games is 2of4. That includes this one. That means one of these six setups has been randomly selected for use this game.

*1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Rolecop, 5 Vanilla Townies, Sane Cop, Doctor
*1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Rolecop, 5 Vanilla Townies, Sane Cop, Jailkeeper
*1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Rolecop, 5 Vanilla Townies, Doctor, Jailkeeper
*1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Rolecop, 6 Vanilla Townies, Sane Cop
*1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Rolecop, 6 Vanilla Townies, Doctor
*1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Rolecop, 6 Vanilla Townies, Jailkeeper

There will always be 7 town players and 2 mafia players.

Here, following, are all of the role PMs.

Vanilla Townie

Welcome, [player]!

You are a
Vanilla Townie
. You have no special powers, just a voice and a vote. You win when all the mafia are dead and at least one town member is left alive.

The game thread is here.

Please confirm that you have read and understand your role PM by PMing me your rolename.

Sane Cop

Welcome, [player]!

You are the
Town Cop
. Each night you may PM me the name of a player you wish to investigate. You will receive a PM in return saying "Town," or "Mafia." Because you are in a newbie game, all of your results will be sane. You win when all of the mafia are dead and at least one town member is left alive.

The game thread is here.

Please confirm that you have read and understand your role PM by PMing me your rolename.

Doctor

Welcome, [player]!

You are the
Town Doctor
. Each night you may PM me the name of a player you wish to protect, aside from yourself. That player will be protected from the mafia kill that night.You win when all the mafia are dead and at least one town member is left alive.

The game thread is here.

Jailkeeper

Welcome [player]!

You are the
Town Jailkeeper
. Each night you may PM me the name of a player, other than yourself. That player will be protected from the mafia kill that night, but will also be prevented from using any night actions they might have. You win when all the mafia are dead and at least one town member is left alive.

The game thread is here.

Mafia Goon

Welcome [player]!

You are the
Mafia Goon
. Along with your partner [partner], the
Mafia Rolecop
, you must overtake this town. Each night you and your partner may scheme in this QuickTopic and decide on one player to kill. You must inform me of who is carrying out the kill as well. You win when the mafia outnumbers the town, or nothing can prevent the same.

The game thread is here.

Mafia Rolecop

Welcome [player]!

You are the
Mafia Rolecop
. Along with your partner [partner], the
Mafia Goon
, you must overtake this town. Each night you and your partner may scheme in this QuickTopic and decide on one player to kill. You must inform me of who is carrying out the kill as well. Additionally, you may PM me the name of a player. You will be told the rolename of that player, unless you are blocked, in which case you will receive “No Result.” You win when the mafia outnumbers the town, or nothing can prevent the same.

The game thread is here.

Last edited by AGar on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:17 am, edited 19 times in total.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:01 pm

Post by AGar »

Role PMs will be going out in a few minutes.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:28 pm

Post by AGar »

All role PMs have been distributed. Day 1 will begin when 7 players have confirmed.

(9/
)
Last edited by AGar on Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:04 am

Post by AGar »

The players who have yet to confirm have been given a deadline ending at 1 AM EDT to confirm or they will be replaced.

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:03 pm

Post by AGar »

Seven have confirmed, the game has started. Votecount coming soon with deadline, and replacements for the two players yet to confirm will be retrieved shortly thereafter. Sorry for the delay, had a personal issue come up right around midnight.

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:06 pm

Post by AGar »

Votecount 1.00

Jun
(0) -
VG_Addict
(0) -
Disturbed_One
(0) -
Thurhame
(0) -
NJAC
(0) -
Anachronism
(0) -
Scumhunter
(0) -
rolandofthewhite
(0) -
Thor665
(0) -

Not Voting
(9) - Jun, VG_Addict, Disturbed_One, Thurhame, NJAC, Anachronism, Scumhunter, rolandofthewhite, Thor665

With
alive, it takes
to lynch.
Deadline is in (expired on 2012-08-25 02:10:00)

Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:27 pm

Post by Thor665 »

tl:dr - this entire commentary block is all about introducing myself as the IC, blathering about my duties, and offering a basic idea of some of the strategy of the RVS. If this interests you, please read on (especially if this is your first time playing here) if not, feel free to skip.
Spoiler: IC Intro
===========================================================================================

Greetings,

I am Thor665 and I am the Inexperienced Challenged (IC) player of this group. What this means is first and foremost - I am here to play this game with you in a way that will show you what it is like to play on Mafiascum.net. I am here to win and should be treated as such.

My goals and the rules governing my actions are covered in this handy article: Being a good IC
That article is part of our amazing MafiaWiki System. I *highly* recommend this system as a good way to get your feet wet and to find out what a lot of the common abbreviations mean. There is a lot of play strategy discussed in there too. A lot of players consider that advice almost all outdated now. I don't recommend trying to run verbatim with anything there, but a lot of the basic advice is very good to at least be aware of as it can help you avoid blatant pitfalls as you become familiar with the game play here.

Now, as an IC I am here as a resource for you to ask questions of concerning game theory. I WILL NOT lie about game theory answers and will answer them to the best of my ability. I will also offer you the following quick pieces of advice;

1. Don't self vote. (there are really no points during a Newbie setup where this is a good idea, please avoid it however logical you may think it is)
2. This site frowns on lying if you are a vanilla town role. I strongly advise against lying if you have this role as usually it will only hurt town in the end.
3. It's a game - have fun.

We are now starting what is known as the RVS (random voting stage). We are in a low information period because scum already know who they are, and even have a rough idea of what power roles may or may not be in the game. It is now town's job to root them out. Because the start of the game leaves us with no information to start with generally the way to start is to begin voting and questioning other people to see if you can catch them doing something scummy (scummy actions being acts that a scum player is more likely to do then a town player).

Vote: Anachronism

He sounds old.
Ritzbiscuits
Ritzbiscuits
Townie
Ritzbiscuits
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Post by Ritzbiscuits »

Call me Ritz. I actually do have some experiences with mafia, though not on this site. I've played on Epic mafia, and a few rl game experiences. I look forward to a fun and exciting game everyone.

Vote:Thor665

He voted first, must be mafia
Code_X
Code_X
Mafia Scum
Code_X
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:34 pm

Post by Code_X »

VOTE: Disturbed_One

Howdy all and Thor!

@ Ritz - Have you evidence to support that theory?
Ritzbiscuits
Ritzbiscuits
Townie
Ritzbiscuits
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Post by Ritzbiscuits »

In post 8, Code_X wrote:VOTE: Disturbed_One

Howdy all and Thor!

@ Ritz - Have you evidence to support that theory?

Considering one post? No not much at all. It's a RVS vote truly. The real intent, is to pressure the IC. Sure he is a teacher in this game, and therefor plays an important role, but he is also trying to win for his team, and I'd like to figure out his alignment before anyone else. He is likely the hardest read, and arguably the most important read. It also may give some of the complete newbies an idea on how the whole back and fourth debate thing goes.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:57 am

Post by Thor665 »

@Ritz - if you want to pressure me, two thoughts;

1. You *should* have evidence, shouldn't you? One post from me or not, you're using a tell that should have evidence to show you've used it before, so...how often do scum vote first in your experience?

2. If you want the vote to "pressure" me...um, shouldn't you sort of...y'know, not TELL me it's for pressure?

Unvote Anachronism
Vote: Disturbed_One

I changed my mind about who should be speed lynched, because if Code_X thinks he's scummy too this is a great wagon.
Disturbed_One
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:44 am

Post by Disturbed_One »

I like the idea behind Rizbiscuits's IC vote. I don't agree with his hypothesis that scum vote first, but I get the sense his real reason was to pressure the IC.

For that reason and because OMGUS Thor.

Vote: Thor665
Code_X
Code_X
Mafia Scum
Code_X
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:50 am

Post by Code_X »

In post 9, Ritzbiscuits wrote:he is also trying to win for his team

"His team" Strange use of words.

Now obviously if you're town you wouldn't know he was mafia. So it's a moot point.

But, if your mafia and he's town then well it seems to suggest you know he's on the opposite side.

VOTE: Ritzbiscuits
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:53 am

Post by Thor665 »

I find both of those votes laughable.
Disturbed_One
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Disturbed_One
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:15 am

Post by Disturbed_One »

In post 12, Code_X wrote:
In post 9, Ritzbiscuits wrote:he is also trying to win for his team

"His team" Strange use of words.

Now obviously if you're town you wouldn't know he was mafia. So it's a moot point.

But, if your mafia and he's town then well it seems to suggest you know he's on the opposite side.

VOTE: Ritzbiscuits

Smells of WIFOM. In that paragraph, he talks about discovering Thor's alignment. Seems more like he's referring to what side Thor is on and he wants to figure what side that is.

I find your attempt to bus the easy target laughable.

Unvote: Thor665
Vote: Code_X
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:33 am

Post by Thor665 »

Unvote: Disturbed
Vote: Code_X

I'm down with either one being lynched at this point.
Thurhame
Thurhame
Goon
Thurhame
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:40 am

Post by Thurhame »

Hello! I'm new to MafiaScum, but I've played a few mafia games in real life and on the NaNoWriMo forums.

Normally my strategy is to start off Day 1 with a random vote, but:

In post 10, Thor665 wrote:I changed my mind about who should be speed lynched, because if Code_X thinks he's scummy too this is a great wagon.

I find the suggestion of "speed lynching" on Day 1 VERY scummy. Speed lynching drastically limits the the town's ability to collect information, and I find it very hard to believe that any IC would suggest it.

VOTE:
Vote: Thor665
Code_X
Code_X
Mafia Scum
Code_X
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:59 am

Post by Code_X »

@ Disturbed - bus the easy target? Who am I supposed to be bussing? Ritz. The use of his seemed out of place to me.

@ Thurhame - that's what Thor's like. Bloodthirsty.
Thurhame
Thurhame
Goon
Thurhame
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:05 am

Post by Thurhame »

By the way, I don't have access to my laptop at the moment, so my weekday computer access will be a bit sporadic until I get it back on the 15th. There may be days where I am unable to post.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:32 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 16, Thurhame wrote:Speed lynching drastically limits the the town's ability to collect information, and I find it very hard to believe that any IC would suggest it.

1. Being an IC doesn't mean I'm good at the game...and if you think I *am* good at the game, why do you think scumThor would suggest speed lynching?

2. What information should we be collecting? It's not like you're asking questions of anyone, and at that point all we have are votes, so why not just lynch someone with those votes?
AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:48 am

Post by AGar »

Votecount 1.01

Jun
(0) -
Ritzbiscuits
(1) - Code_X
Disturbed_One
(0) -
Thurhame
(0) -
NJAC
(0) -
Anachronism
(0) -
Scumhunter
(0) -
Code_X
(2) - Disturbed_One, Thor665
Thor665
(2) - Ritzbiscuits, Thurhame

Not Voting
(4) - Jun, NJAC, Anachronism, Scumhunter

With
alive, it takes
to lynch.
Deadline is in (expired on 2012-08-25 02:10:00)

Thurhame
Thurhame
Goon
Thurhame
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:25 am

Post by Thurhame »

In post 19, Thor665 wrote:1. Being an IC doesn't mean I'm good at the game...and if you think I *am* good at the game, why do you think scumThor would suggest speed lynching?

So you're not good at the game? Meaning there's not much you can offer us as IC? There goes my only potential reason for not lynching you.

In post 19, Thor665 wrote:2. What information should we be collecting? It's not like you're asking questions of anyone, and at that point all we have are votes, so why not just lynch someone with those votes?

Agreed. We need to lynch potential scum - otherwise the scum win by default. In particular, we should lynch
dangerous
potential scum, and I can't think of anything more dangerous than a scum as skilled as you seem to be (from the comments of some of the people in your signature-linked games) at getting whoever you want lynched, lynched. A scum-controlled lynch is just as much a loss for the town as no lynch.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:30 am

Post by Thor665 »

So, your only reason for not lynching me is because I'm skilled.

Your reason for lynching me because is because I'm dangerous potential scum.

The reason I'm dangerous is because I'm skilled.

The only reason not to lynch me is because I'm skill- wait...whut?

Also, you didn't explain why a theory skilled Thorscum would suggest speedlynching - I'd still like to hear that. I can't imagine it will make me any *more* confused at the thoughts going on in your head.
Thurhame
Thurhame
Goon
Thurhame
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:02 am

Post by Thurhame »

In post 22, Thor665 wrote:Also, you didn't explain why a theory skilled Thorscum would suggest speedlynching - I'd still like to hear that. I can't imagine it will make me any *more* confused at the thoughts going on in your head.

Yeah, I'm just as confused as you are. Mind explaining your reasoning?
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:03 am

Post by Thor665 »

Only once you answer my question.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”