Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Newbie 1047 (Game over)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:15 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Newbie 1047

A group of nine people, joined together by sheer chance. But there are two killers in their midst, patiently killing off the others, one by one, until they are the only survivors. Will they succeed, or will the good prevail and slay the slayers?

Handy Links:

Day 1 end

Players, alive:

Melmond
Ninja_Josiah*
Muhahapu**
Glass, Mafia Roleblocker

replaced
, *=prodded

Players, dead:

(SE)
Kanashimi, Townie (town)
, lynched day 1.
(IC)
jeromus
Papa Zito, Townie (town),
was lynched Day 2.
Ashblade
, Townie (town), was killed night 2.
Thristhart
GreyICE
, Townie (town)[/color], has been killed night 3.
Nachomamma8
, Mafia Goon (mafia), has been lynched Day 4.
Masterp443
CrazyQuestions, Townie, lynched Day 6
danquixote
Thomith, Townie, killed in Endgame
(SE)
Leon Belmont
Ellibereth
DarlaBlueEyes, Townie, killed in Endgame

Rules

-Not following the rules could get you modkilled, blacklisted and/or replaced, depending on which rule.
-Voting: During the day the players have to vote in bold like this:
Vote: sirdanilot
. You can also
vote: no lynch
. If you voted incorrectly, your vote will not be counted. I'll post votecounts from time to time.
PUT VOTES ON A WELL-VISIBLE SPOT, SEPARATE FROM YOUR MAIN TEXT. IF THIS IS NOT THE CASE I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO IGNORE THEM!

-Lynching: Once there is a majority of the votes on one player (or no lynch), the game will be in twilight until I post the lynch scene. During twilight, players may still talk, but no votes or unvotes will have any effect.
-Deadlines: Days 3 weeks, nights 2 days. Extensions depend on circumstances. (ADDED 2/2/11:) No-lynch happens when deadline is reached without majority.
- DO NOT EDIT OR DELETE YOUR OR ANYONE'S POSTS, even if you happen to have the power to do so (you usually won't). Also, don't post in locked topics (you probably can't, but just in case).
-Communication: You may never discuss this game outside the topic or when you are dead, unless your role says you can, and if you can, only when and where your role says you can. When you are dead,
shut up and refrain from posting
. Also, never quote any pms regarding this game (either sent by me, to me, or by or to other players). Paraphrasing is fine. Lastly, encrypted or otherwise hidden text is prohibited, if it can cause an unfair advantage.
-Night: During the night I will be waiting for players to send in their night actions. The standard deadline for each night will be 48 hours. The topic will be closed at night. If you don't want to use your night action send a 'none' action.
-Inactivity: I will try to prod after 48 hours of inactivity, but I reserve the right to forget that, so if you want someone to be prodded, please post it in bold with the username. Prods can only be done after 48 hours have passed since the last post. The prodded person needs to reply within 24 hours, if not, they are replaced out.
-Have fun! And let others have fun as well. So no personal attacks, flaming, etc.
Last edited by sirdanilot on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:56 am, edited 33 times in total.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:15 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Newbie Games

This is a newbie game. It's a game like any other (in fact, even more simple than most other games), though there are some differences. Firstly, if you have questions. There's one IC player in this game, which is a player who is more experienced than you. If you have questions about gameplay, strategy, abbreviations, etc., ask them in-thread. Beware that they still are normal players, and thus can be mafia or town just like any other player. Though they are not allowed to lie about game rules, acronyms etc., you may not want to ask things like 'should I vote X now?' since like with any other players, there's a chance they are mafia. If you have mod-related questions, it's best to PM me, unless it's something very simple like a prod request or an error in the votecount (I'm human too), in which case you can post in-thread, bolded for me to notice.

The setup for newbie games is the F11 setup. Here is some information about it. Basically, I have chosen one of these four setups at random. Here are all the possible role pms (beware that not all of these roles have to be in this particular game !)

Townies:
You are a Townie (town). Your purpose is to use your vote and try to lynch the bad guys, you have no special night powers. During the day, you can vote by using one of these formats (unvoting makes it so that you are not voting for everyone, voting 'nolynch' makes it so that if a majority votes 'no lynch', the day ends without a lynch).

Code: Select all

[b]vote:player[/b]
[b]unvote[/b]
[b]vote: no lynch[/b]

During the day, you can vote by using one of these formats (unvoting makes it so that you are not voting for everyone, voting 'nolynch' makes it so that if a majority votes 'no lynch', the day ends without a lynch). All living players can vote during a day, and a lynch happens when a majority has been reached on one person (or on 'no lynch', in which case nobody dies and the day ends).

You win when all the mafia are dead.

Confirm by PM that you have received your role. The game is here, bookmark it or subscribe to the thread so you get a notification whenever there's a new post.
Cops:
You are a Cop (town). Your purpose is to use your vote and try to lynch the bad guys.
At night, you have the power to investigate. You investigate by PMing me with "investigate: player", and at the end of the night I will send you a result with 'mafia' or 'town'. In this game, your result is guaranteed to be correct.
During the day, you can vote, just like a normal townie, by using one of these formats (unvoting makes it so that you are not voting for everyone, voting 'nolynch' makes it so that if a majority votes 'no lynch', the day ends without a lynch).

[b]unvote[/b]

During the day, you can vote by using one of these formats (unvoting makes it so that you are not voting for everyone, voting 'nolynch' makes it so that if a majority votes 'no lynch', the day ends without a lynch). All living players can vote during a day, and a lynch happens when a majority has been reached on one person (or on 'no lynch', in which case nobody dies and the day ends).

Confirm by PM that you have received your role. The game is here, bookmark it or subscribe to the thread so you get a notification whenever there's a new post.
Docs:
You are a Doc (town). Your purpose is to use your vote and try to lynch the bad guys.
At night, you have the power to protect. You protect by PMing me with 'protect: player'. If this player is also targetted by a night kill, they will survive. If not, nothing happens. You may not target yourself.

[b]unvote[/b]

Mafia Goons:
You are a Mafia Goon (mafia). You are one of the bad guys, and you win when your team is equal or larger than the townies. If you and your partner die, you lose. Your partner is
X
. You may talk to him only at night, and only in this quicktopic (violating this rule will result in modkilling, blacklisting or worse !).
As a team, you may talk with each other and together decide whom to kill that night. One of you does that by pming me: kill: Player.
Just like all other players, you can vote during the day.

[b]unvote[/b]

The first is to vote a player, the second is to remove your vote, the third means that if a majority votes 'no lynch', the day will end without a lynch.
Try to mingle with the town players !
Mafia Roleblockers:
You are a Mafia Roleblocker (mafia). You are one of the bad guys, and you win when your team is equal or larger than the townies. If you and your partner die, you lose. Your partner is
X
. You may talk to him only at night, and only in this quicktopic (violating this rule will result in modkilling, blacklisting or worse !).
You may Roleblock at night by pming me: roleblock: player. This will stop them from carrying out their night action.
As a team, you may talk with each other and together decide whom to kill that night. One of you does that by pming me: kill: Player.
If your partner dies, you may both roleblock and nightkill at the same time.
Just like all other players, you can vote during the day.

[b]unvote[/b]

The first is to vote a player, the second is to remove your vote, the third means that if a majority votes 'no lynch', the day will end without a lynch.
Try to mingle with the town players !
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:18 am

Post by sirdanilot »

The thread is now in Confirmation 'Phase. I will shortly send you your role pm, after which you will confirm to me in PM.

The Mafia will be allowed to night talk during this phase, though no night-actions will be carried out as this game is a day-start game.

The game will start when at least all but two players have confirmed. Please confirm A.S.A.P.
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:08 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Papa Zito (IC) replaces jeromus (IC), as he requested replacement.

If I don't have enough confirmations in by tomorrow, I'll start replacing people out so we can start the game ! So, get in your confirmations please !
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:43 am

Post by sirdanilot »

GAME STARTS!

Votecount:
not voting (9): Melmond, Ashblade, danquixote, Thristhart, Masterp443, Abalidoth, Kanashimi, Leon Belmont, Papa Zito

It's now Day 1. With 9 players alive, it requires 5 votes on a person to lynch them. Deadline is 3 weeks from now, at Tuesday 25th January noon GMT+1
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:46 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Leon Belmont and Masterp443 have yet to confirm. They will be replaced out if they don't do so very soon.
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:38 am

Post by Papa Zito »

y halo thar.

Hello kids, I'm your IC this game. IC basically means I've played in a lot of games and spend way too much time on this site.

As an IC I have a kind of double role in this game. First I'm a player like everyone else, so I'll be playing to my win condition (town BTW) just like everyone else. It'll be up to the rest of you to decide if I'm evil manipulative lying scum or not. But my other role is as sort of a mentor, and here I am bound by Being a Good IC. Feel free to ask questions about game mechanics, how things work, what things mean, and so forth and rest assured that I won't lead you astray on these topics. In that vein I suggest everyone read Commonly Used Abbreviations to get up-to-date on the lingo. I also recommend everyone read the rules carefully in any game you play, as each mod tends to have his/her own ruleset.

Games on MafiaScum usually begin with an "RVS" or "Random Voting Stage" in which we vote each other for nonsense reasons. It's a way to break the ice and get conversation started.

All that said, I will VOTE: Leon Belmont. He knows why. :D
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Thristhart
Thristhart
Goon
Thristhart
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:47 am

Post by Thristhart »

I will post a little more introducing myself when I get home. Expect many of these shorter add-more-later posts from me as I travel around a lot and often check MS on my phone. And,
vote: Ashblade
because a blade made of ash is just impractical! Come on now.
Kanashimi
Kanashimi
Goon
Kanashimi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:46 am

Post by Kanashimi »

Hmmm.... Totally forgot i was on a game, lol.

Okay, i'll be in your SE in this game. I have kind of a low experience myself, but i already know the world of Mafia deeply, so you can also ask any questions to me. Now to get a fresh start, i would like all of you to answer a few questions: :]

1) What is your experience with Mafia (here, on another websites, in real life)?
2) How you discovered mafia scum?
3) "You learned that Kanashimi is a Gallis" means anything to you?
4) What role you think that may be the coolest to play with?
5) How could you describe yourself?
6) Coke or Pepsi?
7) Windows or Mozilla?
8) What is/was your first impression of MafiaScum?
Thristhart
Thristhart
Goon
Thristhart
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:52 am

Post by Thristhart »

Alright, now that I have a computer.

First things first: My name is Th
ri
sthart, not Th
ir
sthart. If it makes it easier for you, call me Tom.

Second, for a little introduction for myself: I am a programmer and a student. I work mostly in programming artificial life, which is different than artificial intelligence in that artificial intelligence aims to recreate the workings of a brain, whereas artificial life aims to recreate the behaviors of life - say, the way ants forage for food or the behavior of predator vs. prey. I'm also an amatuer game programmer, and I've competed in Ludum Dare #19 (my entry is here).

That was mostly unrelated to mafia, but the goal was to hopefully give you an insight into the way I think.

As far as mafia, I have a lot of experience with IRC mafia, quite a bit with Epic Mafia (if you know what that is, then you know it's not really the same at all) and some experience with forum mafia. I have a previous game at MS, but it was abandoned by the mod before day one ended and I feel it does not reflect my playstyle too well considering it was 2 years ago. I often host IRC mafia games, and I make up my roles on the spot generally, rather than using predetermined setups. I am not too experienced with the way mafiascum works, which is why I decided to join a newbie game.

Also I sometimes come off as pretentious. It's something I'm trying to improve on.

How about you guys? Anything interesting we should know about you?

Okay, Kanashimi posted while I was typing, so I'll just add my answers on to the end:
1) I answered that above
2) From Epic Mafia players.
3) That would make me a stalker.
4) I'm partial to the stalker, now that you mention it. It's a pretty cool mafia ability.
5) Hmm. Book-smart?
6) Pepsi.
7) Mozilla
8) My kind of people.
Thristhart
Thristhart
Goon
Thristhart
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:59 am

Post by Thristhart »

EBWOP: For clarification, the stalker I refer to is a scum that can investigate at night to determine the role of another player. In case there are any conflicting definitions.
Ashblade
Ashblade
Goon
Ashblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:23 am

Post by Ashblade »

Hello, Ashblade here, but for the lazy you can use Ash (since I have gotten use to the first name about everywhere I go). Definitely not new to mafia but I am new to this longer analysis style. I'm looking forward to it. :D

1) What is your experience with Mafia (here, on another websites, in real life)?
- Several games under my belt with forum mafia. and some on EpicMafia.
- I was searching for better rules and other methods on this game after my first time when I stumbled on a link from wikipedia. I've been reading this place for a while now and finally got the guts to join it.
- Can we pop you then? :P
- Vig hands down. I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve vigilante.
- Scatterbrained unless I decide to focus on something, then I would be locked onto it for hours on end.
6) Coke or Pepsi?
- Coke hands down, although Mt. Dew is always good.
7) Windows or Mozilla?
- Mozilla I suppose.
- Good read, and looks fun way to play. However I won't get a true feeling unless I jump into the fire.

and last but not least...
VOTE: Papa Zito for knowing more than the rest of us.
I'm back... sorta. Not joining anything else until I know if I have enough time to keep playing. V/LA for most weekends. Apologies for my flake.

WHY ASHBLADE YOU FUCKERS? HE WAS THE LAST ORIGINAL TOWNIE THE LAST YOU KILLED A LEGEND - GreyIce
danquixote
danquixote
Townie
danquixote
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:45 am

Post by danquixote »

Hi all,

1. I'm very new to mafia - I've played one game on the Skeptics Guide to the Universe forum. I think I've made some REAL noob mistakes over there, so hopefully I'll do better here. I've also read through the Star Wars thread in the theme park, and thought that was fun.
2. From a link at SGUforums.com
3. no.
4. I think it'd be fun to play Godfather.
5. I'm a teacher and a writer and a kinda wannabe geek.
6. Coke (Zero, now that my metabolism is slowing down).
7. Windows as in Corporate and Mozilla as in open-source? Because mozilla doesn't have an OS (that I'm aware of). Chrome.
8. Overwhelming. But looks fun.
Abalidoth
Abalidoth
Goon
Abalidoth
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:40 pm

Post by Abalidoth »

Howdy all! I'm a newbie, so I'm hoping for a fun time!

Played a couple of games on the Magic: The Gathering forum. Apparently, I also played in a newbie game here a long time ago, but I don't remember it. I'm also on the IRC globalgamers #mafia room sometimes.

The Wikipedia article about Mafia, if I remember correctly.

No idea.

I think being a Vigilante would be a lot of fun. Being on the town's side, but having a morally dubious power, sounds like a blast.

I'm a total nerd. I'm a Mathematics graduate student. I'm married. I'm a lot of things, really.

6) Coke or Pepsi?

RC cola! Between the big two, though, I don't really have a preference.

7) Windows or Mozilla?

I use Chrome on Linux. But if I had to use a different browser, it'd be Firefox for sure. Firefox is also the browser I recommend to inexperienced users.

It's interesting to have a forum dedicated to a single forum game, and the amount of metagaming on here is staggering.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
-Mark Twain
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:08 pm

Post by Papa Zito »

Thristhart wrote:EBWOP: For clarification, the stalker I refer to is a scum that can investigate at night to determine the role of another player. In case there are any conflicting definitions.
We call it a Rolecop.

So, Kanashimi. What happens if I refuse to answer your questions?
Kappa
Just Monika
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:03 am

Post by sirdanilot »

Searching replacements for Leon Belmont and Masterp443.

Votecount:
Leon Belmont (1): Papa Zito
Ashblade (1): Thristhart
Papa Zito (1): Ashblade
not voting (6): Melmond, danquixote, Masterp443, Abalidoth, Kanashimi, Leon Belmont

It's now Day 1. With 9 players alive, it requires 5 votes on a person to lynch them. Deadline is 3 weeks from now, at Tuesday 25th January noon GMT+1
Kanashimi
Kanashimi
Goon
Kanashimi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:31 am

Post by Kanashimi »

Papa Zito wrote:
Thristhart wrote:EBWOP: For clarification, the stalker I refer to is a scum that can investigate at night to determine the role of another player. In case there are any conflicting definitions.
We call it a Rolecop.

So, Kanashimi. What happens if I refuse to answer your questions?
What happens if i refuse to scumhunt?
Kanashimi
Kanashimi
Goon
Kanashimi
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:33 am

Post by Kanashimi »

And by the way,
Vote: Ashblade
, because i have bad experience with dead IC's @_@
Thristhart
Thristhart
Goon
Thristhart
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:55 am

Post by Thristhart »

Abalidoth wrote:
7) Windows or Mozilla?

I use Chrome on Linux.
As dictated in the rules for Linux geeks, this instantly makes me like you.

@Zito: What do you gain from not answering the questions, or, what do you lose from answering?
danquixote
danquixote
Townie
danquixote
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:03 am

Post by danquixote »

vote: Melmond

I have children - I know how important it is to try to treat everyone fairly.
CrazyQuestions
CrazyQuestions
Goon
CrazyQuestions
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:45 am

Post by CrazyQuestions »

Hi (replacing master),

Not much experience in the forum, but I know all needed theory and I have played a bit.
Kanashimi wrote:
Papa Zito wrote: So, Kanashimi. What happens if I refuse to answer your questions?
I hope you do not seriously equate your questions to scumhunting. I just finished my first game in the forum, and I started to get information once the RVS advanced. It is my impression that scum (who i/we failed to discover, by the way), happily enjoyed the phase with friendly useless questions, so unless you want me to answer something very especifically, I prefer to skip...as you will notice, I am a very participative player in scumhunting, so please comment my words...

@Ash and Kanashimi: Were your votes random?

@Abalidoth: Did you avoid random voting conciously? If yes, why? If no, do you think is useful?

@danquixote: given your random reason to vote, Do you find negative/suspicious/... the fact that kanashimi voted for a player who already had a vote?

Vote Danquixote
Use an avatar (please?) !!!
sirdanilot
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
sirdanilot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:02 am

Post by sirdanilot »

CrazyQuestions replaces Masterp443
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:13 am

Post by Papa Zito »

sirdanilot wrote:Searching replacements for Leon Belmont
:(
Kanashimi wrote:What happens if i refuse to scumhunt?
Well that's a whole different kettle of eggs isn't it?
Thrishart wrote:@Zito: What do you gain from not answering the questions, or, what do you lose from answering?
Better question: What does Kanashimi gain from asking the questions, or, what does the town gain from answering?

@Kanashimi: You've had several people answer your survey. Analysis plz.
Kappa
Just Monika
Thristhart
Thristhart
Goon
Thristhart
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:27 am

Post by Thristhart »

Questions 1, 3, 5,and 8 are valuable information about how a player thinks, assuming they don't lie. That's what the town gains from answering. I see no issue with choosing not to answer, however. I'm also curious as to Kanashimi's analysis, because while I believe we're all capable of coming to conclusions from the answers thusfar presented, I assume Kanashimi had specific reasons for choosing the questions he asked.

So, Kanashimi, care to elaborate?
danquixote
danquixote
Townie
danquixote
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:04 am

Post by danquixote »

Crap, and I thought we were just breaking ice and getting conversation started.
CrazyQuestions wrote:Hi (replacing master),

Not much experience in the forum, but I know all needed theory and I have played a bit.
Kanashimi wrote:
Papa Zito wrote: So, Kanashimi. What happens if I refuse to answer your questions?
I hope you do not seriously equate your questions to scumhunting. I just finished my first game in the forum, and I started to get information once the RVS advanced. It is my impression that scum (who i/we failed to discover, by the way), happily enjoyed the phase with friendly useless questions, so unless you want me to answer something very especifically, I prefer to skip...as you will notice, I am a very participative player in scumhunting, so please comment my words...

@Ash and Kanashimi: Were your votes random?

@Abalidoth: Did you avoid random voting conciously? If yes, why? If no, do you think is useful?

@danquixote: given your random reason to vote, Do you find negative/suspicious/... the fact that kanashimi voted for a player who already had a vote?

Vote Danquixote
Use an avatar (please?) !!!
I have no idea if it's suspicious. It's worth watching, but it's a little early for scum to pile on a bandwagon, no? Based on my VERY limited experience, it doesn't seem to me that the REALLY useful stuff starts coming out until people really feel pressured to share relevant info. So, no, at this point, I'm not suspicious. If I should be, I'm open to learning more.

Avatar added - if that's the reason for your vote, you can unvote me now.

Return to “Completed Newbie Games”