Newbie 1108 (Game over! Who wins?)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Newbie 1108 (Game over! Who wins?)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu May 19, 2011 5:19 pm

Post by ooba »

Newbie 1108

Mod: ooba

The mafia has decided to take over your town! Time to take justice in your own hands and rid the city of these villains...

Spoiler: Game end status
Player List (3/9):

zMuffinMan
Quaroath (SE)
Mafia Goon
, survived (and wins!)

Dead:

SleepyKrew
Traveller
Mafia Rolecop
, lynched day one (and wins!)

DarkFlashlight,
Townie
, killed night one

Rikenslope,
Townie
, lynched day two

Thian (IC),
Cop
, killed night two

tim_hill1990 (SE),
Townie
, lynched day three

Mrs Blithe,
Townie
, killed night four

Yoshiken
Lily
, lynched day five
Descent endgamed
Last edited by ooba on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:50 am, edited 29 times in total.
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu May 19, 2011 5:23 pm

Post by ooba »

Rules

General:

1. Be familiar with the sitewide rules and guidelines.
2. Play nice. No personal attacks will be tolerated.
3. Do not play this game using more than one account.
4. Do not discuss this game with anybody else outside this game thread, unless if you're mafia, and in that case, only during Night, only in your assigned quicktopics.
5. Do not quote directly from your Role PM or any role PM.
6. Do not use small font size or invisible font to hide messages. Similarly, do not use any off-site programs to code messages. Also Robust cryptographyand steganography are not allowed in games.
7. Winning isn't everything, but you need to play to win. Claiming to be scum, or someone's scumbuddy, is against any and all win conditions and therefore is prohibited.
8. If you have any questions, your IC (Inexperience Challenged) player and SE (semi-experienced) players should be able to help. If it's about your role, PM it to me. If I have made a mistake in a vote count or something, you can point it out to me by PM or by a bolded
Mod:
in thread.

Voting, Lynching, Death

1. To vote for somebody, type this:
VOTE: ooba
or
Vote: ooba
It must be in bold. The colon is optional. Abbreviations for player names are fine as long as it's obvious to whom you're referring. 2. To remove your vote, type
UNVOTE:
in bold. You don't have to unvote before revoting, but I would prefer it.
3. You may also
VOTE: No Lynch
. If at least 50% of the players vote this way, then the game will go straight to Night with nobody being lynched.
5. A simple majority of votes (1/2 the number of living players plus one, rounded down) will achieve a lynch and end the Day. Unvoting after that point will not save someone's life.
6. The time between the final vote that causes a lynch and my updating of the thread is known as "twilight." Anybody may still talk in-thread during twilight, but no vote-changing will be honored.
7. Once you are dead, do not post at all in the thread. Likewise, do not communicate with anybody still in the game once you're dead.

Deadlines and Activity

1. If a player does not post for 72 hours, they will be prodded by PM. If they do not respond to the prod within 48 hours, I will start looking for a replacement. If the player returns to the game before I can find a replacement, they can stay. If I have already found a replacement, then the replacement stays.
2. If you indicate V/LA (Vacation/Limited Access) in thread or by PM, you are immune to the above rule as long as you're on V/LA. Do not abuse this - lying about V/LA is not acceptable.
3. Each day will have a set deadline of 3 WEEKS.
4. If no majority of votes is reached at deadline, then nobody will be lynched.
5. Each night has a deadline of 72 HOURS. I will extend this as necessary if any replacements are needed. I will also update the thread earlier if I receive all night actions earlier.
Last edited by ooba on Thu May 19, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu May 19, 2011 5:27 pm

Post by ooba »

Setup

This game will be run using the 2of4 setup. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen as detailed below:

• 1 Mafia Goon
  • 1 Mafia RoleCop
  • 5 Vanilla Townies
  • 2 of the following (no duplicates possible): (Cop 25%, Doctor 25%, Jailkeeper 25%, Vanilla Townie 25%)
Notes
  1. The RoleCop has the option of submitting both the night kills and investigations, even when the Goon is still alive.
  2. Mafia must specify who is performing what Night action when the Night action PM is submitted!

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

name
(a Mafia RoleCop) and
name
(a Mafia Goon) are part of the local Mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.

• During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via QuickTopic, linked below) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of who to kill
    and who is performing the kill
    before the Night deadline.
  • The Mafia RoleCop has the ability to investigate another player and learn their specific role (Townie, Cop, Doc, or Jailkeeper).
  • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate (usually along with the kill) before the Night deadline.
  • If the Mafia RoleCop is blocked by a Town Jailkeeper then the RoleCop will receive a PM stating “No Result”.
  • You may communicate privately via QuickTopic with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened (this is called Night 0). Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • Please do not communicate with each other outside of the QT.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.

• You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate before the Night deadline.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • If you are blocked by a Town Jailkeeper you will receive a PM stating “No Result”.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:

You are a physician, and can use your medical training to protect people from harm.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect before the Night deadline.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You will not be informed as to whether your protection was successful or not.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night.

Mod wrote:

You are a prison guard, and it’s your job to ensure the undesireables are kept in their place.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to send to jail before the Night deadline.
  • If the jailed player attempts to use a Night action (Investigate, Protect, or Kill), their action will not resolve.
  • If the jailed player is the target of a Kill that action will not resolve. Any other actions (Investigate or Protect) will resolve.
  • Neither you nor your target will be made aware of whether your own action was successful.
  • You may not put yourself in jail.
Last edited by ooba on Wed May 25, 2011 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu May 19, 2011 5:33 pm

Post by ooba »

Role PMs are now being sent out. Please confirm via PM. Mafia will be able to talk in their QT before Day one starts. I will start Day one as soon as I have 8 confirmations
ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun May 22, 2011 4:06 pm

Post by ooba »

It is now D1

With 9 alive, it takes 5 votes for a lynch!
tim_hill1990
tim_hill1990
Goon
tim_hill1990
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun May 22, 2011 4:43 pm

Post by tim_hill1990 »

Waheey first to post, I never get to do that :D
VOTE: Darkflashlight due to the oxymoronic name (is oxymoronic even a word??)
Mrs Blithe
Mrs Blithe
Goon
Mrs Blithe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun May 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Post by Mrs Blithe »

Good morning everyone.
This is my second mafia game here and I hope that you all don't replace out :P
I only have one request, please
try
to keep your posts "clean", potty mouthing makes it hard for me to read posts. :s

As for my RVS, I'll VOTE: Lily because I'm bad with rvsing, lol.
As town: won 1, lost 2.
As mafia: won 1, lost 1.

I will forever play in the newbie lobby.
Rikenslope
Rikenslope
Goon
Rikenslope
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun May 22, 2011 5:21 pm

Post by Rikenslope »

I am here to check in...
Vote: Descent

Mainly cause the movie was really bad... oh look at us we're in a cave full of mutants.
The number one way to prove that someone is scummy is to run your finger across them with a white glove.

Yes, but can Stevie Wonder see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
Descent
Descent
Goon
Descent
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun May 22, 2011 6:56 pm

Post by Descent »

There's a move called Descent?

VOTE: Rikenscope

Just cause you did it too me.
Quaroath
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Quaroath
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon May 23, 2011 5:11 am

Post by Quaroath »

Descent wrote:There's a move called Descent?

VOTE: Rikenscope

Just cause you did it too me.

mmm early game OMGUS.

VOTE: Thian

Cause you know, IC.
One Hamster to rule them all!
One Hamster to find them!
One Hamster to bring them all!
And in the sawdust bind them!
Thian
Thian
Goon
Thian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon May 23, 2011 7:35 am

Post by Thian »

Hello Everyone,

To the newer players, welcome to the Road to Rome and to Mafia. To players who have been in the Road to Rome before, welcome back. I am your IC for this game and I am here to act in such a way to teach you acronyms, comment on good strategies and bad ((from my point of view of course)), and I am also here as a player just like the rest of you. This is my second time IC'ing so although I am here to help there are also some SE's here Tim_Hill1990 and Quaroath to share information with you about game mechanics.

Although I am a player, if I will be speaking about game theory, I will differentiate if I am talking to you as a player, or as an IC. I will never mix the two together.

A few things that help first off.
1. Trust levels are already at an all time low, replacing out of a game after we have started to get to know you, can be stressful for the players remaining and for the replacement. Things do arise in peoples lives that force us to not want to continue, or you just may feel that mafia is not for you to play. That is okay, if you are going to replace. Replace as soon as you possibly know you do not want to continue. This will help everyone in the long run.

2. Stay active or get left behind. Sometimes if you do not check the board and make a post at least 1 time a day to every 2nd day, you may get lost in the conversation and may not even know where to jump in. Read up on everything and keep asking those questions. Scum love to hide so if you aren't posting, they won't post.

3. Claiming / Lie about roles. Self Voting: The basics are, if you are wanting to hammer someone ((hammer: being the final person on the vote to lynch someone)) be sure you ask for a claim first and wait for that person to share their role ((it will be their choice to share it or not, but at least give that chance)). Do not lie about your role. It is never any good to lie about your role. Town will point it out quickly and so will scum and you will be on the end of a lynch rather quickly. If you do happen to get out and play in other games, this strategy may work ((lying about your role)) however, it is never good practice to do so. Do not self vote. Never self vote. That is against a town win condition, if you happen to self vote people will pick that out as a scummy thing to do most of the time. Also you could potentially get quick lynched. If you are frusterated and think that is the only way you can opt out of the game. Just find a replacement that is a better way for the group if you do not wish to continue.

4. L-1, L - 2 : These are commonly used vote terms. Putting someone at L-1 means they are one more vote away from lynch, as with L-1 or L-2 meaning 2 votes away from being lynched.

5. Finally, Deadlines: We have 3 weeks for a deadline, so keep in mind. Try your best to not quick lynch if you still have time to question people. However, do not wait around either waiting for deadline to make up your mind about someone or for something to happen. Use your time wisely and take this as an advantage to question people because you never know who will be around the following day that you would have requested more information from or wanted more information from to help you on the later rounds.

So that is my opening post. I will be back to make my player post and RV ((random Vote)) along with a few questions for you all ((RQ)) Random Question.

Thanks everyone, let's have a great game ahead of us.
~I told you it was a bad idea to tell her she smelt like hot dogs!~
Games Completed
Thian
Thian
Goon
Thian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon May 23, 2011 7:36 am

Post by Thian »

ooo it's mah scum day too.
Games Completed
Thian
Thian
Goon
Thian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon May 23, 2011 8:22 am

Post by Thian »

Vote: Mrs Blithe

Your lol'ing is highly suspicious, how could anyone be bad at random voting stage? It's supposed to be random so you can't do it wrong.

for My random questions ((RQS)) Random Question Stage, please answer and I will answer them myself after a few of you respond.

1. Favorite meal of the day?
2. Do you work or go to school?
3. do you play mafia at other websites?
4. Pick a number 1, 2 or 3.
5. Why are you not mafia?
6. are you nervous about question 4 or 5 more?
7. Are you lying when answering question 5?
8. Are you a night time person or morning?
Games Completed
Rikenslope
Rikenslope
Goon
Rikenslope
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon May 23, 2011 10:17 am

Post by Rikenslope »

1) dessert
2) work and have a 1 year old daughter
3) no
4) 2, 1 is the loneliest number you could ever do, and 3's company
5) Lack a properly fitted suit
6) Actually moreso troubled by question 1, I'd hate to have my cake be a lie and poisoned.
7) No I am actually a pretty big dude, well fitting suits are hard to come by unless I have them custom made.
8) I am an all day dude. The ladies call me Aleve, cause I am all day strong, all day long.
The number one way to prove that someone is scummy is to run your finger across them with a white glove.

Yes, but can Stevie Wonder see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
Descent
Descent
Goon
Descent
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon May 23, 2011 10:33 am

Post by Descent »

Dinner, as in the Evening Meal
School
Occasionally
1 Was the Best Question, so 1

Because good sir, it was not in my role PM.

4. Because I had to pick one, I didn't wanna pick the wrong one :O

I... don't think... so. LEAVE ME ALONE!

I see what you did there :D
Traveller
Traveller
Townie
Traveller
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon May 23, 2011 11:09 am

Post by Traveller »

Here are your responses, Thian:

1. Breakfast
2. Work
3. No
4. 2
5. Because I don't have a cousin named Guido.
6. Depends on the intent of question 4.
7. No, however, you should know my wife has a cousin Guido. Does that make me scum by marriage? :mrgreen:
8. Morning

As for my RVS, I wanted to be the first to post, so I
VOTE: tim_hill1990
Mrs Blithe
Mrs Blithe
Goon
Mrs Blithe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon May 23, 2011 11:54 am

Post by Mrs Blithe »

Oooh, Thian why couldn't my last game have you in it. I've learned more from #10 post then I did that whole game. I read the wiki for nothing :s Happy scumday btw.

The morning one, waking up and eating either cherries or mac and cheese.

Housewife.

Used to, but that site has been dying for about a year now. Tried another site I heard about on here, worst site ever.

Seven.

No matter what my role, I'm always going to look like scum. Apparently I just have a scum personality.

Neither, I've used #4 to randomly lynch before, it didn't work too well.

Nope.

I wake up at 5pm and go to bed around 11am. I don't know if that qualifies as night or morning.

DarkFlashlight
DarkFlashlight
Goon
DarkFlashlight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon May 23, 2011 12:28 pm

Post by DarkFlashlight »

Imma start off by saying that my username isn't necessarily an oxymoron. If it's not turned off, or if it's out of batteries, then it'd be dark.

Dinner. My breakfast and lunch are both rather insubstantial.

School

3. Do you play mafia at other websites?
Why yes I do!

I choose one. 3 is the maximum number, which would probably be chosen by people trying to imply superiority, and 2 is the most chosen because it's in the middle and a safe bet.

My role PM said no, no, no.

6. Are you nervous about question 4 or 5 more?
Obviously 5. Being nervous about #4 would be unorthodox. #5 someone could overanalyze or misunderstand and try to form a case off of.

Not unless the mod is trolling me.

For posting or just in general?

Since we're doing RQS anyway, I feel like I might as well half-RVS off of that, but not everyone has answered yet, so I won't vote in this post. It's half-RVS because finding scum based on an RQS would be massively impressive.

Mrs Blithe wrote:I only have one request, please try to keep your posts "clean", potty mouthing makes it hard for me to read posts. :s

I feel like saying that I won't necessarily abide to this. I'm not some rogue kid who cusses recreationally, but sometimes for emphasis. I don't think your mind will be plagued with how awful my parents are, if that makes you more assured.
tim_hill1990
tim_hill1990
Goon
tim_hill1990
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon May 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Post by tim_hill1990 »

DarkFlashlight wrote:Imma start off by saying that my username isn't necessarily an oxymoron. If it's not turned off, or if it's out of batteries, then it'd be dark.
\\
I guess that's fair, I just instantly thought of a lit one

Breakfast, nothing like a bowl of porridge and a cuppa to start the day

University- study nursing
No
I'm far to nice to be mafia
How can you be nervous about 4? Neither are more nerve racking
Nope
both actually, midday seems to be my athletes foot, in terms of energy levels anyway.
Mrs Blithe
Mrs Blithe
Goon
Mrs Blithe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon May 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Post by Mrs Blithe »

DarkFlashlight wrote:
Mrs Blithe wrote:I only have one request, please try to keep your posts "clean", potty mouthing makes it hard for me to read posts. :s

I feel like saying that I won't necessarily abide to this. I'm not some rogue kid who cusses recreationally, but sometimes for emphasis. I don't think your mind will be plagued with how awful my parents are, if that makes you more assured.

I just don't want another "What the bleep was that? You're bleeping all over the bleeping bleep you bleep!" etc. It's hard to read posts like that because they make me cringe. I thought I'd say it at the beginning of this game because last game they just told me to grow up. :/

ooba
ooba
Jack of All Trades
ooba
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon May 23, 2011 8:51 pm

Post by ooba »

Lily did not confirm her role. Yoshiken replaces Lily. Please welcome him into the game!

Vote Count

DarkFlashlight (1):
tim_hill1990
Yoshiken (1):
Mrs Blithe
Descent (1):
Rikenslope
Rikenslope (1):
Descent
Thian (1):
Quaroath
Mrs Blithe (1):
Thian
tim_hill1990 (1):
Traveller

Not Voting (2):
Yoshiken, DarkFlashlight

With 9 alive, it takes 5 votes for a lynch!
Thian
Thian
Goon
Thian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2011 6:54 am

Post by Thian »

Thanks everyone for answering the questions. As Promised here are answers to my questions

. Favorite meal of the day?
Dinner ((evening meal))

Work in logistics with trucks

Yes, but I mainly host there seldom play.

I didn't get that role this time, I tend to clam up a bit more with a mafia role.

More nervous about question 4 over 5. Simply because right now, I am seeing if there is a trend or not. Which will take a few games to compile.

no, not lying

Night time person more ((as in energy wise))

Mrs Blithe, my vote is on you currently. You seem very friendly, to the point where I did want to take my vote off of you. Any reason why you couldn't choose between 1, 2 or 3? I noticed you picked 7. I'm not using that as a scum tell, however, it worries me a bit to see someone not answer a question how it was intended to be answered.

Also your vote is on lily who has been replaced. Do you think you will be keeping your vote on the same person right now?
Games Completed
Mrs Blithe
Mrs Blithe
Goon
Mrs Blithe
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2011 7:40 am

Post by Mrs Blithe »

Thian wrote:Mrs Blithe, my vote is on you currently. You seem very friendly, to the point where I did want to take my vote off of you. Any reason why you couldn't choose between 1, 2 or 3? I noticed you picked 7. I'm not using that as a scum tell, however, it worries me a bit to see someone not answer a question how it was intended to be answered.

Also your vote is on lily who has been replaced. Do you think you will be keeping your vote on the same person right now?

I picked seven just to throw you off.
One, two, and three are generic numbers and I don't like them very much.
They are in the box. Seven, however, is not in the box.

As for my vote, I think I'll keep it where it is.
It still feels like the RVS since we're still on the first page, and I haven't seen any scummy activity yet.

Thian
Thian
Goon
Thian
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2011 8:25 am

Post by Thian »

I can get on board with thinking "outside the box". However, the question was a direct quesiton with three options. Not picking one of those options regardless of your like or dislike for the numbers given makes me worried you will have a difficult time in choosing, when numbers become names. You also may not directly answer scum hunting questions directed to you as they were intended. Again this isn't a scum tell however, that could be taken advantage of later down the road.

I do agree also it still is a little early, and am getting to know you.

@ everyone else: Hopefully we will see you guys around to post to at least welcome the new person who replaced lily.

Welcome Yoshiken, are you excited to make your first post?
Games Completed
DarkFlashlight
DarkFlashlight
Goon
DarkFlashlight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue May 24, 2011 10:43 am

Post by DarkFlashlight »

Assuming Mrs. Blithe applies her outside-the-boxiness to scumhunting, I think it's a profitable skill.

VOTE: Quaroath

Step 1. Vote IC
Step 2. Run away!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”