Newbie 1255: Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Newbie 1255: Game over!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Post by Sotty7 »

Today you were all distressed to find out that some mafia have moved into your poor little town! What are you going to do about it? The only thing you can do of course, lynch them!

Game status

Day four

Deadline

(expired on 2012-08-21 20:00:00)

Latest vote count

In post 573, Sotty7 wrote:
Last vote count of day three

:right:
Uberninja: 3 (DoubleJD, BBmolla, RachMarie)

BBmolla: 1 (Uberninja)

Not voting: 1 (uctriton00)

Alive: 3

uctriton00
alex aragao

RachMarie
spudboy

BBmolla
Gwilly Fenn

Dead: 6

Nachomamma8
was lynched on day one. He was a
mafia goon.

Frog
was killed on night one. He was the
Cop.

Maestro
was lynched on day two. He was
the doctor

RabidAnubis
was killed on night two. He was
a townie.

Uberninja
was lynched on day three. He was
a townie.

DoubleJD
was killed on night three. He was
a townie.

The Inexperience Challenged (IC) player is here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.
The Semi-experienced (SE) players have a level of experience somewhere between a newbie and an IC.
Last edited by Sotty7 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Post by Sotty7 »

General rules

• This is a game. HAVE FUN!
  • Respect your fellow players at
    all times.
    If I feel attacks are getting too personal or out of hand I will replace/mod kill you as I see fit.
  • Do not quote any private mod/player communications. Do not pretend to quote private mod/player communications. This means
    anything
    to do with Mod sent PMs
    inculding
    timestamps. Doing any of these things will result in a modkill.
  • There is to be
    no
    communication outside this thread unless your PM states otherwise.
  • This is my color. Please don't use it.

Game play rules

• Mod kills will end the day at my discretion.
  • All votes must be in all
    bold
    to count and in the following two formats:
    Vote: Sotty
    or VOTE: Sotty. Unvotes are nice, but not required. I will not tolerate any kind of voting tricks. You have been warned.
  • A lynch will be reached when a majority of players (one-half of the living players plus one) vote for a specific player.
  • Once this point is reached, no amount of unvoting will stop the lynch.
  • Each day will have a deadline of three weeks. In extreme circumstances I will extend the deadline by a few days (no more than a week)
  • If a majority hasn't been reached by the deadline, then there will be a
    no lynch

• Each night will have a deadline of three days.
  • Once a lynch has been reached, all players, (including the lynched player) may continue to post until I can get on and lock the thread.
  • Once you're dead.. Well you're dead. No more posting, dead people can't type! They also can't talk to others still in the game and tell them any info they may or may not have. Simple “bah” posts are allowed, I will delete anything else.

The everything else rules

• No invisible text, encrypted text, stupidly small text or hiding text inside [ color = black ] tags.
  • I will try and get a votecount up every page or every 24 hours. Feel free to request a vote count at any time.
  • Prods will go out if you haven't posted in 72 hours. If you don't pick up that prod in 48 hours I will look for a replacement.
  • If you think you won't be able to post in the thread for a couple of days then please post a notice letting everyone know just that.
  • Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
  • Bold all requests to the mod to make them easier for me not to miss.
  • I'm human, I make mistakes. Feel free to point out mistakes with small things such as the votecount in thread. If you have issues with the game on a bigger level then please PM me.

Useful Links

Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:47 pm

Post by Sotty7 »

2of4 SetupThe 2of4 setup is a test game format we’re trying out in Newbie games to get around balance issues with the F11 setup. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen as detailed below:

• 1 Mafia Goon
  • 1 Mafia RoleCop
  • 5 Vanilla Townies
  • 2 of the following (no duplicates possible): (Cop 25%, Doctor 25%, Jailkeeper 25%, Vanilla Townie 25%)
Notes
  1. The RoleCop has the option of submitting both the night kills and investigations, even when the Goon is still alive.
  2. Mafia must specify who is performing what Night action when the Night action PM is submitted!

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

name
(a Mafia RoleCop) and
name
(a Mafia Goon) are part of the local Mafia crime family.
Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.

• During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia via this QuickTopic and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of who to kill
    and who is performing the kill
    before the Night deadline.
  • The Mafia RoleCop has the ability to investigate another player and learn their specific role (Townie, Cop, Doc, or Jailkeeper).
  • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate (usually along with the kill) before the Night deadline.
  • If the Mafia RoleCop is blocked by a Town Jailkeeper then the RoleCop will receive a PM stating “No Result”.
  • You may communicate privately via QuickTopic with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened (this is called Night 0). Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • Please do not communicate with each other outside of the QT.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
  • You can find the game thread here
  • Please confirm you have read and understood this PM by sending me a PM back stating your role. Thank you

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.

• You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
  • Please confirm you have read and understood this PM by sending me a PM back stating your role. Thank you

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate before the Night deadline.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • If you are blocked by a Town Jailkeeper you will receive a PM stating “No Result”.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:

You are a physician, and can use your medical training to protect people from harm.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect before the Night deadline.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You will not be informed as to whether your protection was successful or not.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night.

Mod wrote:

You are a prison guard, and it’s your job to ensure the undesireables are kept in their place.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to send to jail before the Night deadline.
  • If the jailed player attempts to use a Night action (Investigate, Protect, or Kill), their action will not resolve.
  • If the jailed player is the target of a Kill that action will not resolve. Any other actions (Investigate or Protect) will resolve.
  • Neither you nor your target will be made aware of whether your own action was successful.
  • You may not put yourself in jail.
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Post by Sotty7 »

All PMs are out. Game will open once I get 7/9 confirm PMs.
Sotty7
Sotty7
That Damn Good
Sotty7
That Damn Good
That Damn Good

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:37 am

Post by Sotty7 »

With enough confirms the game is on!

• With
    alive it takes
    to lynch.
  • Deadline for the end of day one is in (expired on 2012-07-19 10:30:00)

Good luck!
wateverlah
wateverlah
Townie
wateverlah
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:41 am

Post by wateverlah »

woot

Vote: Frog

Because ur name is too innocent.
spudboy
spudboy
Townie
spudboy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:33 am

Post by spudboy »

After silly amounts of waiting in the queue, it finally begins! Yay!

VOTE: UberNinja because ninjas backstab things and so do the mafia.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:50 am

Post by UberNinja »

In post 6, spudboy wrote:VOTE: UberNinja because ninjas
backstab things
and so do the mafia.

Said the guy with the avatar!

VOTE: spudboy
frog
frog
Mafia Scum
frog
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:51 am

Post by frog »

Hi all, glad to be in another game!

Vote: Spudboy
because potatoes can't be boys.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:54 am

Post by UberNinja »

Bandwagoning already, eh frog?

Unvote; Vote: frog
frog
frog
Mafia Scum
frog
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:59 am

Post by frog »

Nope, your post came up just as I was posting mine! I'll keep it there for now though, since he hasn't stopped being a male potato.
Gwilly Fenn
Gwilly Fenn
Townie
Gwilly Fenn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:28 am

Post by Gwilly Fenn »

ok super noob here, how do i bold?
frog
frog
Mafia Scum
frog
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:30 am

Post by frog »

Click reply, then click 'B', which is at the top left of the 'post reply' box. It then gives you the code for it.
Just something I want to add, I'll be away until Monday since I'm on a trip. So V/LA until Monday.
Gwilly Fenn
Gwilly Fenn
Townie
Gwilly Fenn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:35 am

Post by Gwilly Fenn »

vote:wateverlah
because you are the only one posting who hasn't been voted yet, and thanks frog!
alex aragao
alex aragao
Townie
alex aragao
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:08 am

Post by alex aragao »

Vote: Gwilly Fenn
for the same reason he voted wateverlah :P
spudboy
spudboy
Townie
spudboy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:27 am

Post by spudboy »

Could people who don't have avatars please get ones?
It makes identifying people much less confusing.
Papi Bear
Papi Bear
Goon
Papi Bear
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:22 pm

Post by Papi Bear »

Nice introductions for a Newbie Game lol! XD

VOTE: wateverlah
Get an avatar..

So to get this game heating up, here's some RQS for you.

1.)What is your GMT and how this will affect your gameplay?

GMT +8.. Boredom at my afternoon since most scummers are asleep but when I wake up, BOOM! A long post.. That actually happened to me at my first game here..
2.)What is your favorite role on the Newbie Setup and why?

I always wanted to be a Mafia because I want to try to win as mafia and feel how hard would it be to be scum.
3.)Favorite Music Gerne?

It's random.. I can go a gerne to a way different gerne.. Well I'm currently listening to Vocaloid songs, especially from Hatsune Miku..
4.)Do you think their usernames and avatars can affect what you think on other people?
Yeah.. Maybe..
5.)What is your basis on finding scum?

If they have a good reasoning, they're town. If not, they're probably scum or noobtown.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Post by UberNinja »

I don't particularly like RQS, and I think it's rather useless, so I'll skip it.

Being a conscientious objector to the norm usually sparks more discussion than it squelches though, so I suppose it's a positive thing that I don't usually participate in it.
spudboy
spudboy
Townie
spudboy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Post by spudboy »

Wait, what does the S stand for in RQS?

GMT -7. I'll probably check on and off throughout the day (as school just ended), but be mostly active in the evenings and at night.

I'd probably find Jailkeeper to be the most interesting role, as I could do the usual discussion thing, but also have a versatile night ability.
3.)Favorite Music Genre?

I find this question to be silly and irrelevant.
4.)Do you think their usernames and avatars can affect what you think on other people?

Hopefully not, but it occurs to me now that maybe a spy wasn't the best avatar for this. :P

Probably just look for what feels suspicious, but that's what I'm here to learn, isn't it?

@UberNinja
I'm curious, what do you find useless about RQS? While I agree that something like "Favorite music genre" is rather silly, but most of these questions feel like they would help you get a good read on people's styles, and help bring about discussion.
Papi Bear
Papi Bear
Goon
Papi Bear
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:29 pm

Post by Papi Bear »

RQ
S
stands for Random Questioning
Stage

There more other odd questions than that question. The purpose of those questions like this (in my opinion) is either to see their personality (this helps because you can predict what would the person would behave on the game) or verify if they're just gonna troll in the game or not. Example for this is when a player asks "Ice or Fire?" on a RQS then another player answers "butterflies" then you're sure you'll have a big problem dealing with that player.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:20 pm

Post by UberNinja »

@ spudboy: It's just that, usually, nothing particularly useful comes from it. Thus I avoid it.

I'm pretty clearly not avoiding it because I'm scared to answer what my favorite music genre is. I like electronica and strings at the moment.
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:23 pm

Post by UberNinja »

And now to do my IC thing.
If you're a newbie, you may want to pay attention to this:

Hello, I'm UberNinja, the IC (Inexperienced Challenged) player of this game.

I am here to make sure you get a proper welcome to MafiaScum. I am here to win of course, but in doing so I will attempt to exemplify what a MafiaScum player can and in many cases should be. I will be making a sincere effort to show you how to play competently and skillfully, while at the same time developing a play style of your own.

My actions are governed by the MafiaWiki article: Being a good IC

I very much recommend you checking out the MafiaWiki to accustom yourselves to some of the Roles and Setups and Common Abbreviations you may run into if you plan on sticking around the site. Another good resource is the Mafia Discussion forum; and though it is more of an open discussion format than the MafiaWiki, it's still good to learn different peoples' viewpoints on how best to play as or play against different roles, or what to do in certain situations.

To be clear: I am here first and foremost to play and win the game. My secondary task is to train each of you into formidable forum mafia warriors of the secret order of the Ninja, and whereas there have been no recruits yet, every single spot on the roster is open (only half joking).

If you have any questions at all regarding theory or what I would do in a certain situation, feel free to ask me. I
will
give you an honest answer. I
will not
lie about anything theory-related, however I freely admit that I may color my responses to advice-related questions to further my own agenda in this game.

Further than that, have fun, and please be patient with everyone around you as the game gets going. Have fun!
UberNinja
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
UberNinja
Jekyll and Hyde
Jekyll and Hyde

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Post by UberNinja »

Sorry, a few of those links are broken.

Abbreviations
Setups
alex aragao
alex aragao
Townie
alex aragao
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:53 am

Post by alex aragao »

England time (GMT?). I'll be available in the afternoon/evening.
The Cop maybe? It's the only character that can be 100% sure of someone's innocence/guilt.
3.)Favorite Music Genre?
Don't listen to music that much.
Well, only when it comes to random voting, I guess.
I find people that post a lot but post with little content to be scummy. If you're scum, you'll know who is scum and who is town, and that will "blind" you to scummy behaviour performed by town. Due to that, your post's content will reduce, leading to "lots of posts, few content".

---

In post 10, frog wrote:Nope, your post came up just as I was posting mine! I'll keep it there for now though, since he hasn't stopped being a male potato.

I'm not sure about this, but when you try to post your comment and someone posts before you, aren't you warned about it? I'm asking because this can be particularly important if we have someone at L-2 and if you're not warned you can make the mistake of derphammering someone (2 people voting in a row). Can someone clarify this for me please?
spudboy
spudboy
Townie
spudboy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:10 am

Post by spudboy »

You can preview your post and look below it to see previous posts, but it doesn't give you a "warning" of any kind.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”