Newbie 1279 ~ Cute Mafia [Game Over]

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Newbie 1279 ~ Cute Mafia [Game Over]

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:52 am

Post by KittyMo »

Backup Mod: Haylen

Alive & Happy [4]:

Method
kuror0
vendetta21

Paid Pyro (SE)
Thor665 (IC)

* = Prod.

Forever Slumbering [5]:

ladygem*,
Maf. Goonie
, Lynched Day 1
penguin_alien,
Van. Townie
, Killed Night 1
TheOneWhoKnocks
Razputin*
Van. Townie
, Lynched Day 2
Mr_Ree (SE),
Town Cop---
, Killed Night 2
KingdomAces
royalpaladin540
Maf. Rolecop
, Lynched Day 3

Game Links:

Rules | Setup Info | Confirmation | Game Start | Day 1 Lynch | Day 2 Lynch | Day 3 Lynch
Last edited by KittyMo on Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:21 am, edited 31 times in total.
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:53 am

Post by KittyMo »

Welcome to Newbie 1279! I am your Moderator, KittyMo. My job is to
make sure the game is run as smoothly and fairly as is possible.
I am committed to keeping the thread's information updated, along with providing frequent vote counts. In order for the game to run smoothly,
all players in this game are expected to be familiar with and follow the rules I have outlined below.
If you have any questions about rules, please feel free to ask!
Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.

I. What is my job as a player?

A. All in all, it is simply to
play the game.
You are required to
play to your win condition.
Remember to be considerate of other players and to enjoy playing as well.

II. How does voting work?

A. Votes to lynch are submitted during the day phase. They are to be formatted as:
vote: Playername
or VOTE: Playername
B.
Votes will not be counted if they are not in this format.
Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.
C. Please submit vote revocations as
Unvote
Unvote: Playername
, UNVOTE: Playername, or UNVOTE: .
D. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.

III. How long do Days last?

A. Newbie games have
fixed, strict 3-week deadlines per game day
that are only movable in special circumstances. This means that days will automatically end after 3 weeks of real time have occurred, and
they will only end early if a lynch has occurred.

IV. How does a lynch occur?

A.
A simple majority of all living players
must agree upon one person for a lynch (or a no lynch) to occur. Once a simple majority is reached, no further unvoting will change someone's fate.
B. At deadline,
if a simple majority has not been reached, the game will proceed in a no lynch.

C. After deadline has been reached or a lynch majority has been reached, the game enters the Twilight phase (the phase of the game after Day, and before a night scene has been posted by me: )
all players including a player who is about to be lynched may continue to post in Twilight. There is nothing else special about Twilight.

V. How do Nights work?

A. If you have a role with a Night action, your choices are due to me by the posted deadline.
If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.

B. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a "No Action" PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
C. If you expect to be V/LA during Night, you may send in night actions early.
D.
Nights will last a maximum of 72 hours. If all players (with or without night actions) have indicated via PM to the Moderator that they are ready for night to be completed, Night will end early.
In the instance that the mafia's kill does not kill someone, for whatever reason, night will last the full 72 hour period.

VI. How often am I supposed to post?

A. As a general rule you should
aim for one post every 48 hours
, minimum, to keep the game moving.
B.
Prods
of missing players will be issued automatically
after 72 hours of no activity or upon request after 48 hours of no activity.

C. A
prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement.
A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
D.
If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging. This is often referred to as a V/LA period. If a player announces a particularly long V/LA, I may replace that player.
E. If you don't feel that you can meet reasonable activity requirements, or for whatever reason, are unable to play the game anymore,
you can let me know that you want to replace out without repercussions.
I can sometimes work out temporary replace-outs depending on your situation (an extended V/LA, for instance.)

VII. What do I do if I notice the Moderator made a mistake?

A.
If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately.
Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
If is a very simple error
, like an incorrect vote count,
it should be brought to the attention of the mod in the following format to make sure it is noticed:
@Mod: blah blah blah.

B. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently.
Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed.
These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.

VIII. What are other things I may not do?

A.
You may not directly quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind.
Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
B. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post. This means that you do not even get a “Bah” post.
The dead in this game are silent.

C.
Indigo text is reserved for the Mod.
No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
D.
There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage.
E. I reserve the right as the Mod to make reasonable decisions based upon situations not covered by this ruleset. I also reserve the right to make rule changes. You will be notified in-thread if this occurs.
F. If you have any situation-specific questions about what is okay to do,
please ask first if you're in doubt!
This will help maintain the game's integrity.

Please also keep in mind that you're expected to adhere to the Forum Rules and Guidelines, made by the site creator.

So you thoroughly read the rules?

You can take this quiz to test your knowledge if you'd like! :D

Last edited by KittyMo on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:55 am

Post by KittyMo »

The 2of4 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of six possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Jailkeeper, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 1 Jailkeeper, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Role Cop, 1 Jailkeeper, 6 Townies

If the situation occurs where the Goon dies first, the Role Cop will still be able to submit both night kills and role investigations (role investigation is a function of the Role Cop; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole.)

Listed below are the potential role PMs:
Spoiler: Role PMs
Mod wrote:Image

You are a Vanilla Townie, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.

You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest. Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage! At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.

You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

The thread is here. Confirm in thread after you've had all necessary questions answered about your role and the rules.

Mod wrote:
You are the Cop, and can tell the good guys from the bad.

Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.

The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence. If you are blocked by a Jailkeeper, you will receive a PM stating “No Result”. At no time may you privately communicate with any other player. In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).

You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

The thread is here. Confirm in thread after you've had all necessary questions answered about your role and the rules.

Mod wrote:

You are the Doctor and can protect people from harm.

Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect. If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared. You will not be informed as to whether your protection was successful or not. You may not protect yourself. At no time may you privately communicate with any other player. In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night.

Mod wrote:
You are the Jailkeeper, and you can protect someone as well as protect the town from them.

Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to jailkeep. If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared. Your target will additionally prevented from successfully using night actions. You will not be informed as to whether your action was successful or not. You may not jailkeep yourself. At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.

Mod wrote:Image

You,
name
(a Mafia Goon) and
name
(who is a Mafia Role Cop) are part of the local Mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.

During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched. During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via this QuickTopic) and choose another player in the town to kill that night. One of you must send me a PM with your choice of who to kill. You may communicate privately via QuickTopic or PM with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened (this is called Night 0). Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.

You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:

You,
name
(a Mafia Role Cop) and
name
(who is a Mafia Goon) are part of the local Mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.

During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched. During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via this QuickTopic) and choose another player in the town to kill that night. One of you must send me a PM with your choice of who to kill. You may communicate privately via QuickTopic or PM with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened (this is called Night 0). Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.

Additionally, each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you'd like to investigate. You will find out that player's role name. If you are blocked by a Jailkeeper, you will receive a PM stating “No Result”.

You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Last edited by KittyMo on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"plz don't swear" -- N
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:01 am

Post by KittyMo »

Sorry for the wait, everyone! I got one of the admins to give me mod powers to open the thread since I'd been waiting on the List Mod for a couple of days. I'm really excited to get this game rolling. Remember to bookmark this thread and confirm in thread once you've read & understand your Role PM. I'll be sending them out right now in order of the player list.

While you're waiting, have a look at the theory section on the wiki & mikeburnfire's mafia tutorial if you'd like to.

EDIT: All role PMs are out now.

"plz don't swear" -- N
Mr_Ree
Mr_Ree
Mafia Scum
Mr_Ree
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:59 am

Post by Mr_Ree »

/confirm
Knowledge is the key to understanding.
penguin_alien
penguin_alien
Mafia Scum
penguin_alien
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:57 am

Post by penguin_alien »

/confirm
Paid Pyro
Paid Pyro
Goon
Paid Pyro
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:19 pm

Post by Paid Pyro »

/yep.
Method
Method
Goon
Method
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Post by Method »

/confirm
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Post by Thor665 »

/Forsooth.
ladygem
ladygem
Townie
ladygem
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:57 am

Post by ladygem »

/confirm should be fun!
Razputin
Razputin
Townie
Razputin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:22 am

Post by Razputin »

/confirm
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:35 am

Post by Thor665 »

I grow bored of waiting.

tl:dr - this entire commentary block is all about introducing myself as the IC, blathering about my duties, and offering a basic idea of some of the strategy of the RVS. If this interests you, please read on (especially if this is your first time playing here) if not, feel free to skip.
Spoiler: IC Intro
===========================================================================================

Greetings,

I am Thor665 and I am the Inexperienced Challenged (IC) player of this group. What this means is first and foremost - I am here to play this game with you in a way that will show you what it is like to play on Mafiascum.net. I am here to win and should be treated as such.

My goals and the rules governing my actions are covered in this handy article: Being a good IC
That article is part of our amazing MafiaWiki System. I *highly* recommend this system as a good way to get your feet wet and to find out what a lot of the common abbreviations mean. There is a lot of play strategy discussed in there too. A lot of players consider that advice almost all outdated now. I don't recommend trying to run verbatim with anything there, but a lot of the basic advice is very good to at least be aware of as it can help you avoid blatant pitfalls as you become familiar with the game play here.

Now, as an IC I am here as a resource for you to ask questions of concerning game theory. I WILL NOT lie about game theory answers and will answer them to the best of my ability. I will also offer you the following quick pieces of advice;

1. Don't self vote. (there are really no points during a Newbie setup where this is a good idea, please avoid it however logical you may think it is)
2. This site frowns on lying if you are a vanilla town role. I strongly advise against lying if you have this role as usually it will only hurt town in the end.
3. It's a game - have fun.

We are now starting what is known as the RVS (random voting stage). We are in a low information period because scum already know who they are, and even have a rough idea of what power roles may or may not be in the game. It is now town's job to root them out. Because the start of the game leaves us with no information to start with generally the way to start is to begin voting and questioning other people to see if you can catch them doing something scummy (scummy actions being acts that a scum player is more likely to do then a town player).

Vote: Penguin_Alien

I don't like multiple females in games, and since the mod is a female and the theme is cute...well.
Razputin
Razputin
Townie
Razputin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:06 am

Post by Razputin »

Wait, are we allowed to start playing now? I thought we were still in the Confirmation Stage.
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:15 am

Post by KittyMo »

Since it's been more than 48 hours without them picking up their Role PM, royalpaladin540 and vendetta21 are being replaced by KingdomAces and kuror0. Day 1 will begin when one of them confirms. You may still discuss game-related things, but votes will not be counted until Day 1 begins.
Last edited by KittyMo on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

"plz don't swear" -- N
kuror0
kuror0
Mafia Scum
kuror0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:16 am

Post by kuror0 »

the replace is ready!
aka
/confirm
so let's get this day started!
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:17 am

Post by Thor665 »

Vote: Penguin_Alien
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:18 am

Post by Thor665 »

Also, I'd probably be down with lynching kuror0 as well - one or the other.
kuror0
kuror0
Mafia Scum
kuror0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:20 am

Post by kuror0 »

In post 16, Thor665 wrote:Also, I'd probably be down with lynching kuror0 as well - one or the other.

would you share whit us your reasons?
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:29 am

Post by Thor665 »

Unvote: Penguin_Alien
Vote: kuror0

Not to scum like you.
kuror0
kuror0
Mafia Scum
kuror0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:46 am

Post by kuror0 »

Seems like you are just proyecting your scuminess on others.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:54 am

Post by Thor665 »

If you believe that, why aren't you manning up and voting me?
Why do you now hate RVS?
Razputin
Razputin
Townie
Razputin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:38 am

Post by Razputin »

Vote: Thor

I know it's RVS, but gender is an extremely petty reason to vote for anyone.
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:51 am

Post by KingdomAces »

/confirm replace

VOTE: Razputin

In case you don't notice, he's voting someone else now.
Never be sorry for your little time.

It's not when you get there, it's always the climb.
penguin_alien
penguin_alien
Mafia Scum
penguin_alien
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:55 am

Post by penguin_alien »

Aw, Thor665's just jealous of all my matching chromosomes.

(I think RVS is supposed to start out rather petty, else it isn't really random)

VOTE: Method for having an avatar I can't read no matter how much I zoom in.

And I'm not sure it matters, but I should probably clarify from the sign-up queue that when I said I was a complete newbie, I meant on this forum for the purposes of joining the newbie games; I've played a lot in person and a few games online elsewhere.
kuror0
kuror0
Mafia Scum
kuror0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:55 am

Post by kuror0 »

VOTE: Penguin

It is clearly a mafia tactic to throw our games off, by posting that kind of info.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”