Newbie 1406: Krhyem on Rhytehiea (Game Over)

Shadowmod
Goon

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:43 am

Newbie 1406:
Krhyem on Rhytehiea
(Setup: Matrix 6)

Game Over
Spoiler: Outcome
Mafia Victory

Players:

Spoiler:
Bert fuzzybutternut Childish Gambino (Vanilla Townie) - endgamed day 3.
Derivan (Town Cop) - lynched day 1.
hodge BringoBongo (Vanilla Townie) - endgamed day 3.
RachMarie (Town Doctor) - killed night 1.
Sakura Hana Karoliina (Mafia Roleblocker)- survived and won.
Voodoo Lady (Vanilla Townie) - killed night 2.
StubbsKVM (Vanilla Townie) - endgamed day 3.
New Coldness (Vanilla Townie) - lynched day 2.
Thor665 (IC**) (Mafia Goon) - survived and won.

°Prods received
*have played the game before, may have an idea what's to do here…
**experienced player, the go-to guy for all your questions…

RuleSet

General Mafia and Forum Rules:
  • SITE RULES: make sure to know and observe the general site rules, even if they are not specifically mentioned here.
  • ENJOY!: this is a game, so enjoy it and help making this as pleasant an experience as possible for every one else.
  • MANNER: be respectful to me and your fellow players, excessive rudeness or outright offensive behaviour will not be tolerated.
  • DISCRETION: as long as it is going on, whatever happens in this game stays in this game and may only be discussed in any of the topics belonging to it, that you have been granted access to.
  • POST EDITING: Don't! Even if, for whatever reason, you could. Once it's sent, it's sent. If you want some tags fixed, or something small like that, ask me to do it.
  • HIDDEN INFO: You can breadcrumb, but anything beyond that, that could be considered an attempt to hide info in open sight (for example, but not limited to: cryptography, tiny text, text in languages obscure to most posters…), is strictly forbidden.
  • PRIVATE COMMUNICATION: do not quote any private communication (PMs or QTs) you had with me or any fellow players in this game. This includes revealing details, such as posting times of PMs. Paraphrasing information is allowed.
  • Mod Edits: If I feel the need to edit something into a post, which is not my own, I will make sure that is clearly discernible, i.e. looking like this. Do not try to impersonate me.
  • PLAY TO WIN: Make sure you understand your faction's winning condition and play with the aim to fulfill it.
  • LOOPHOLES: any eventual Loopholes found in these rules are to be reported to me, not abused
  • RULE CHANGES: when in doubt, rule is what I, or any site or forum mod, says, I explicitly reserve the right to add or change rules, if I deem it appropriate. You will be informed about any changes.

Game Progression and Technicalities
  • TIME COURSE: the game will start with day 1, each game day will last for 14 real-time days, followed by 2 days for the night.
  • Extensions: In case extraordinary circumstances require it, I will grand a deadline extension of appropriate length. Any one's inability to make up their mind is not an extraordinary circumstance.
  • VOTING: during days players will be allowed to vote for each other. Votes must be bolded or use the VOTE: -tag and and be in a separate line to be valid.
  • UNVOTING: you can unvote players, there's an UNVOTE: -tag for this purpose, as well. The same rules as for votes apply
  • LYNCHES: whenever more than half of the living players vote for one person, that person will be considered lynched and the game will enter twilight until I officially close it for the night; no further votes or unvotes will change the outcome. When at least half of the living players vote no lynch, night will immediately begin without a lynch.
  • NIGHT ACTIONS: during the night, players may use their night actions, the mafia will be allowed to talk among themselves in a private topic. In exceptional cases, players, who aniticipate to be V/LA over a night phase, may give me early notice of it and send in their intended actions beforehand.
  • DEADLINES: a deadline is reached, when the deadline timer reaches 0. Any actions done after that will not have any effect. If no lynch majority is reached at day end, no lynch will occur.
  • Communication with ME: If you are not sure, whether you are allowed to do something, need more information, or find a mistake, just inform me via PM or bolded text in thread.
  • Prods: I will issue regular prods to any player, who will have been inactive for at least 48 hours. They will have another 48 hours to pick up the prod by posting in thread before I will start looking for a replacement for them. Prods will be marked by a "°" next to that players name. I reserve the right to force-replace any player who accumulates more than 3 prods over the course of the game. Prods in absence can be avoided by announcing V/LA in thread or using the V/LA flag in your profile.

Sanctions
  • Game Rule Infringements: For the case, where I feel that any of these rules has been broken, I reserve my right to warn, force-replace or modkill the responsible player(s). Modkills will end in a loss for the player concerned; if he is town a modkill will end the day, if he is mafia the day will resume regularly.
  • Site Rule Infringements: In particularly severe cases, where site wide rules about cheating or general game ethics have been violated, the offending player will be reported to the site staff, which may result in further consequences up to permanent site-wide bans for that player.

About the Setup
  • Setup Basics: This game, as all current newbie games on this site, uses the Matrix6 semi-open setup, which consists of 6 sub-setups, one of which has been chosen at random, represented by the roles in one of the a lines or rows of the following Matrix,complemented by an additional mafia goon and 5 Vanilla townies, for a total of 7 town and 2 mafia roles:
    Town JailkeeperVanilla TownieMafia Goon
    Mafia RoleblockerTown CopTown Doctor
    1-shot Bulletproof TownieMafia GoonTown Tracker
  • Role Interactions: Roleblocks will always resolve before jailkeeps. The bulletproof ability is considered a passive, reflexive action and is thus unblockable by either role. If the roleblocker is the last mafia standing, he can perform both his roleblock and factional night kill in the same night.
  • Sample Role PMs: Depending on the actual matchup in play, each player will receive one of the following role PMs:
    Spoiler:
    Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a Vanilla Townie.

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a Town Jailkeeper.

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a Town Cop.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are Town or Mafia. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a Town Doctor.

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

1-shot Bulletproof TownieWelcome!

You are a 1-shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill attempt during the game. This does not include lynches.

The game thread is here.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a Town Tracker.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a Mafia Goon.

Your partner is Player, who is a Mafia Goon/Mafia Roleblocker.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional QT, located here, which you may talk in during pregame and night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a Mafia Roleblocker.

Your partner is Player, who is a Mafia Goon.

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional QT, located here, which you may talk in during pregame and night phases.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Chapter 1

Beyond a good portion of the unimaginably huge empty thing, otherwise known as space, nowhere in particular not quite in the vicinity of some place even mind-bogglingly further off, lay a small and, in the grander scheme of things, rather totally insignificant galaxy, usually referred to as Erraunthiea, by most of it's scarce inhabitants, even though it was probably better known under the name by which not so directly involved, and therefore somewhat less insufferably romantic, people used to call it, which was: "Oh, that unsightly pile of rubbish?".

In one of the more bizarre looking outcrops of the whole misshapen thing lay a medium-sized star, called Shiny Thingy I (the reason for this rather odd-seeming name will become apparent right away), orbited by another star by the name of Shiny Thingy II, and another, rather tiny and dim star (Shiny Thingy III), a smallish purple-red-chequered planet (which we will come to soon), as well as 5 more outer suns (called Shiny Thingies IV-VI, Just Another Shiny Thingy and The Shiny Thingy we almost, but not quite, forgot about)
As mentioned, between all those Shiny Thingies a single planet was circling quietly through space (which is the universally standardized manner for planets to circle in, because the vacuum of space marginally fails to convey any sounds, which made it quit an otherwise promising career in the pop-music business ages ago). Following a custom, that has emerged multiple times independently and invariably from all advanced cultures who have ever developed anywhere over the whole of the space-time-continuum, the creatures which inhabited it gave it a rather dull and unimaginative name; they called it Rhytehiea.
It was a somewhat special planet, because it had developed more than one species of creatures (who, due to the uniquely absurd makeup of their star system, all suffered from the most remarkable, and nowhere else in the universe known, sleeping disorders), who regarded themselves as sentient life forms (there was a bit of a quarrel about these claims, though, because of the odd fact, that the more intelligent some of them where, the more successful they seemed to be in developing ever new forms of incredibly nonsensical behaviour).
Different though they were, they managed to get along with each other surprisingly well. Once, out of boredom, in some ancient, long forgotten time, they had tried out war, but quickly decided that overall it was a bit too bothersome a thing to be pursued any further, and thereby they had managed to accomplish something universally rare, which is a peaceful and harmonic society, for many generations; As a result of this it cannot come surprisingly to any one that they were not even aware of the fact that things could just as well have been different.
Sure, they were mortal as well*, a fact that was the cause of much debate among their philosophers. Some declared it to be proof for the existence of a somewhat mistaken and unsportsmanlike god, whereas others just blamed it to be the curse of what they proclaimed to be the dormant ancient Giant Earthworm, which incidentally happened to be remarkably close to the truth.
Most people died of old age, but illnesses weren't unheard of as well; and, of course, there were the occasional freak-accidents, especially when an inheritance was involved, but those weren't things that any well-adjusted family would not have been able to deal with.

Thus when one day people started disappearing, and then gradually reappearing, in little bits and pieces, they did not exactly know what to make of it all. But they figured that this was somehow not quite as jolly-good as their lives had always been otherwise, and decided to sit down together and figure it out. They soon found out what made the whole issue so disturbing, which was that they did not even know how to talk about it. It occured to them, that they were having a close encounter with an utterly new and unknown concept here, and decided that they'd really need to find a name for it first. This proved harder than initially expected, because none of them had ever had any similar experience to relate to before. So finally they resigningly made something up, which after some weeks of gathering suggestions, that of course had first to be discussed and voted about with all the necessary thoroughness required by such a grave matter, turned out to be krhyem. They still weren't sure what this new concept of krhyem actually signified, but at least could agree that it certainly did not involve any inheritance...

Reassured by this newfound certainty about the whole affair they hypothesised that now would be an appropriate time to do something about it, which was, due to every one's yet total inexperience with krhyem, to let some one else solve the problem.
It was a bit of a letdown when, after frantically pursuing this approach for some time, they found out that it definitely wasn't the way to go; and that street-cleaning, to reduce the stacks of abandoned body parts in the road corners, had become a major business sector in the meantime.

The Rhytehieans agreed, that a more sustainable and permanent solution was called for, and thus they decided to talk to Sheddomott, their local logician.
They weren't exactly sure, what a logician was, or what one could use one for, other than ask him for a solution of the krhyem problem, but they had been told (by the logician) that for this specific service he would absolutely and most definitely be the person to go to.

So it came that one day a small legation of Rhytehieans came to the logician's home and infomed his deaf dog about their worries (they had been asked to tell it to the dog, while the logician would watch his favourite TV show).
They were much relieved to learn that, indeed, the logician had a solution for the problem, which, as he told them with a winning smile, was quite simply to just, one after another, kill every one. He could prove conclusively, so he proclaimed, that this method would be guaranteed to stop all the krhymynells (as the commiters of krhyem had been established to be referred to in the meantime) from causing any further krhyem, eventually.
There were some doubts about this solution from the Rhytehieans, at first, as to whether this method might not, in fact, be a bit too drastic, and how one could even know, if somebody had been a krhymynell in the first place. But the logician patiently and reassuringly explained to them that in fact the method wasn't a new one and that it had already been tried out with great success by the Alzwean Inquisition, to relieve their planet from what they called the thread of Whycces. They had simply strapped their subjects of interest (i.e. more or less any one whom they came across) to a rocket and launched them into space. After a week or so they would have looked for them and, if they ever found them again, if they were still alive they'd have been proven to be a Whycc and consequently been fed to one of the endemic domestic Mucnozzle Beasts. If they were found dead, they ususally were fed to a domestic Mucnozzle Beast anyway, after unfreezing them. And thanks to such stalwart dedication by its inquisition the planet Alzwea could eventually be proven to be completely Whycc-free.
Now all of this sounded very knowledgeable to the Rhytehieans and they recognized the logician with deep awe in the face of a mind clearly so much greater than their own;

and they could no longer wait to try out this new promising method immediately, and thus it came...

*at this point it should probably be pointed out that the planet, in fact, also accommodated an immortal being (although none of the natives were aware of that fact). But strictly speaking, he was just a tourist, and normally, being on vacation as he were, kept himself out of the native's affairs. So in the events described here, no one ever had the idea to ask him for help, which is a pity, because it would have turned out that he would have actually had the right kind of expertise for such a case...
Last edited by Shadowmod on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 40 times in total.
Modding History :Open 319: Jungle RepublicNewbie 1406: Krhyem on RhytehieaShadow's Delightfully Happy Newbie 1451 Mini 1635: Curse of the Werewolves
Current Games in Progress: Mostly Flavoured Newbie 1692 NEWBIE 1693 Tag, Link and Length Restrictions on Signatures Are Annoying!

Shadowmod
Goon

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:36 am

Day 1
7/9 Players have confirmed. Still waiting for confirmation from Derivan, who has picked up his role PM, but not answered it yet. Deedeecupcake has not picked up her role PM yet.
The thread is open for discussion now.

Players Alive
Childish Gambino
Derivan
BringoBongo
Deedeecupcake
Karoliina
Voodoo Lady
StubbsKVM
New Coldness
Thor665

With 9 players still alive, 5 votes are required for a lynch, 5 to force no lynch.

Day 1 Deadline: Friday, August 9th 2013, 15:00:00 Forum Time [UTC-6]:
(expired on 2013-08-09 15:00:00)
remaining.
Last edited by Shadowmod on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Modding History :Open 319: Jungle RepublicNewbie 1406: Krhyem on RhytehieaShadow's Delightfully Happy Newbie 1451 Mini 1635: Curse of the Werewolves
Current Games in Progress: Mostly Flavoured Newbie 1692 NEWBIE 1693 Tag, Link and Length Restrictions on Signatures Are Annoying!

StubbsKVM
Mafia Scum

Pronoun: He

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:59 am

VOTE: Voodoo Lady

I know you! You scum! :D

New Coldness
Goon

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:35 am

Vote: Childish Gambino.

Celeb name is obvscum.
As Town: 2-3
As Scum: 1-0

Karoliina
Townie

Pronoun: She

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:12 am

I'm just going to go and bus Stubbs right away.

VOTE: StubbsKVM

That makes me obv town, right? RIGHT?

Derivan
Townie

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:49 am

Never did trust voodoo magic.

VOTE: Voodoo Lady

Thor665
Papa Smurf

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:15 am

tl:dr - this entire commentary block is all about introducing myself as the IC, blathering about my duties, and offering a basic idea of some of the strategy of the RVS. If this interests you, please read on (especially if this is your first time playing here) if not, feel free to skip.
Spoiler: IC Intro
===========================================================================================

Greetings,

I am Thor665 and I am the Inexperienced Challenged (IC) player of this group. What this means is first and foremost - I am here to play this game with you in a way that will show you what it is like to play on Mafiascum.net. I am here to win and should be treated as such.

My goals and the rules governing my actions are covered in this handy article: Being a good IC
That article is part of our amazing MafiaWiki System. I *highly* recommend this system as a good way to get your feet wet and to find out what a lot of the common abbreviations mean. There is a lot of play strategy discussed in there too. A lot of players consider that advice almost all outdated now. I don't recommend trying to run verbatim with anything there, but a lot of the basic advice is very good to at least be aware of as it can help you avoid blatant pitfalls as you become familiar with the game play here.

Now, as an IC I am here as a resource for you to ask questions of concerning game theory. I WILL NOT lie about game theory answers and will answer them to the best of my ability. I will also offer you the following quick pieces of advice;

1. Don't self vote. (there are really no points during a Newbie setup where this is a good idea, please avoid it however logical you may think it is)
2. This site frowns on lying if you are a vanilla town role. I strongly advise against lying if you have this role as usually it will only hurt town in the end.
3. It's a game - have fun.

We are now starting what is known as the RVS (random voting stage). We are in a low information period because scum already know who they are, and even have a rough idea of what power roles may or may not be in the game. It is now town's job to root them out. Because the start of the game leaves us with no information to start with generally the way to start is to begin voting and questioning other people to see if you can catch them doing something scummy (scummy actions being acts that a scum player is more likely to do then a town player).

Vote: Voodoo Lad

Quick wagon is a go!

Childish Gambino
Townie

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:36 pm

VOTE: Karoliina because she seems like the kind of person who isn't a fan of D.G.Lover.
Show

Thor665
Papa Smurf

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:38 pm

Why do you oppose the Voodoo Lady wagon?

Childish Gambino
Townie

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:47 pm

A recent fear based on an ongoing game.
Show

Childish Gambino
Townie

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:48 pm

I don't oppose the usefulness of an early wagon, I oppose putting it in L-1.
Show

Thor665
Papa Smurf

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:11 pm

In post 9, Childish Gambino wrote:A recent fear based on an ongoing game.

So you opted to create an alternate big wagon?
I mean, if one is fearful, why is two awesome?

Childish Gambino
Townie

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:19 pm

I am not creating a second wagon, I am RVS voting so that this game shows on my list of topics.
Show

Thor665
Papa Smurf

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Why not just post a random post then, if that's all you wanted to accomplish?

Childish Gambino
Townie

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:01 pm

Because, at this sage of the game, a vote is far more useful. Yes, it's a random vote, but it has more potential to garner useful responses than, say just posting "#donald4spiderman".
Show

Childish Gambino
Townie

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:04 pm

In post 14, Childish Gambino wrote:Because, at this stage of the game, a vote is far more useful. Yes, it's a random vote, but it has more potential to garner useful responses than, say just posting "#donald4spiderman".
Show

Thor665
Papa Smurf

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:17 pm

Unvote: Voodoo Lady
Vote: Childish Gambino

Serious vote.

New Coldness
Goon

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:37 pm

In post 16, Thor665 wrote:Unvote: Voodoo Lady
Vote: Childish Gambino

Serious vote.

You sheepin' me, boy?
Unvote: Childish Gambino
Vote: Thor

Shadowmod
Goon

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:56 pm

VOTE COUNT

Voodoo Lady (2/5) - StubbsKVM, Derivan, Thor665
Childish Gambino (1/5) - New Coldness, Thor665
StubbsKVM (1/5) - Karoliina
Karoliina (1/5) - Childish Gambino
Thor665 (1/5) - New Coldness

Not Voting (3/9): BringoBongo, Deedeecupcake, Voodoo Lady

With 9 players still alive, 5 votes are required for a lynch, 5 to force no lynch.

Day 1 Deadline: Friday, August 9th 2013, 15:00:00 Forum Time [UTC-6]:
(expired on 2013-08-09 15:00:00)
remaining.
Last edited by Shadowmod on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thor665
Papa Smurf

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:08 pm

In post 17, New Coldness wrote:You sheepin' me, boy?

It would be impossible to sheep you since you never had a stated reason for your vote.
Duh.

New Coldness
Goon

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:12 pm

That makes sense, I guess. Why so serious about vote on first page, then?

Thor665
Papa Smurf

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:14 pm

Why should I not be serious?

New Coldness
Goon

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Let's start with this: why is Gambino's decision not to raise the hammer scummier than his decision to raise it would have been?

Thor665
Papa Smurf

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:16 pm

It's more that he actively attempted in multiple ways to distance himself from any accountability for his vote.
He doesn't want his vote to be thought of as relevant in any way at all.
If it's not relevant in any way at all - why did he do it?
Something is gakked up in that line of thinking, so it's either a lie or he isn't using his brains for any action - either way I figure he will benefit us by being dead.

Why, what are your thoughts on his actions thus far?

New Coldness
Goon

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:30 pm

I think his vote was the sixth one dropped in RVS, and it went somewhere other than a wagon.

Next
[ + ]

Return to Completed Newbie Games