Newbie 1508 [GAME OVER]

AGar
Jack of All Trades

Pronoun: He

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:53 pm

Welcome to Newbie 1508. You are playing Mafia.

Mod: AGar

=========================

ANTI-SPOILER BREAK

============================

Alive (6) (Bold denotes a confirmed player)
1. Scripten
2. Fluminator
3. Thurhame Skast
6. Jake from State Farm Mark_Speers
7. Rubicon (SE)
9. cabd (IC)

(SE) denotes a Semi-Experienced player.
(IC) denotes the Inexperience Challenged player. The IC is here to help you learn the fundamentals of the game, and while playing to win, is bound by the guidelines in the article Being a good IC.

Dead (3)
8. Aphix (SE) - Mafia Goon - Lynched, Day 1
5. Goofyd00d Weirdestbug - Vanilla Townie - Killed, Night 1
4. tn5421 rureluz - Mafia Goon - Lynched, Day 2

Modkilled

Game Status
GAME OVER

Current Deadline
(expired on 2014-06-30 01:00:00)

Rules
Stolen boldly from Oman, who stole it from someone else I've never heard of, who stole it from someone else, and modified to my needs.

[01] Votes must be in bold. If you do not bold your vote, it will not be counted. To vote: VOTE: AGar To Unvote UNVOTE: or UNVOTE: AGar. The site has vote tags which you can use. Please also make votes easily noticeable, preferably give them their own line.
[02] Unvotes are a nice courtesy, but not required to change votes.
[03] Lynching will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, their pleas are useless and any attempts to unvote will be unheeded. All players not yet dead after the hammer (meaning all alive save the lynchee) may talk in twilight, the period between the hammer and me locking the thread. If the day ends without a majority, no one will be lynched.
[04] You may VOTE: no lynch. Majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death.
[05] Deadlines for this game will be 2 weeks. Extensions may be given in extenuating circumstances, but the deadline will never be shortened.
[07] Do not discuss this game outside the thread unless your role states it. No-one may post in the thread when I declare it night (In case I don't lock it).
[08] Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. Stop typing. Not even a “Bah!” post. Just, just stop. Fingers off the keys. You're no longer breathing. Save it for after the game is over. I would love to hear from you after the game, just not when you could affect it.
[09] No small or invisible text. Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts either. This also includes any forms of adding encrypted text.
[10] Don’t quote any PMs from me or other players. If you do, I will cast Summon Nature's Modkill V on you.
[11] Nights will last 72 hours. You have within this time frame to send me any night actions you may or may not have.
[12] If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread or PM me. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging. You will be prodded after 48 hours of inactivity. You will then have 24 hours to post. In the event that a third prod is needed, I will just force-replace you, no questions asked. This will earn you a spot on my personal blacklist.
[13] I am fallible. If I make a mistake, aside from votecounts, please notify me via PM and I will attempt to rectify it.
[14] There is no Rule 6
[15] BOLD RED TEXT IS MY TEXT. Do not attempt to impersonate me, it will result in an ugly, lonely death. Accidents happen, and I can be forgiving, but do not test me.
[16] Play to win this game. Do not use it to build a meta-game of yourself for other games, this game is an island. Also, all players must read their role PMs and understand their role before playing. If you have a question PM me.
[17] Remember, it’s a game and it’s supposed to be fun. Be nice to your fellow players and your mod.

The setup used for Newbie Games is Matrix6. That includes this one. That means one of these 6 setups has been randomly selected for use this game.

*1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 1-Shot Town Bulletproof, 1 Town Jailkeeper, 5 Vanilla Townies
*2 Mafia Goons, 1 Town Cop, 6 Vanilla Townies
*2 Mafia Goons, 1 Town Doctor, 1 Town Tracker, 5 Vanilla Townies
*2 Mafia Goons, 1 Town Jailkeeper, 6 Vanilla Townies
*1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Town Cop, 1 Town Doctor, 5 Vanilla Townies
*2 Mafia Goons, 1 1-Shot Town Bulletproof, 1 Town Tracker, 5 Vanilla Townies

There will always be 7 town players and 2 mafia players.

Here, following, are all of the role PMs.

Vanilla Townie
Welcome, [player]!

You are a Vanilla Townie. You have no special powers, just a voice and a vote. You win when all the mafia are dead and at least one town member is left alive.

The game thread is here.

Please confirm that you have read and understand your role PM by PMing me your rolename.

Sane Cop
Welcome, [player]!

You are the Town Cop. Each night you may PM me the name of a player you wish to investigate. You will receive a PM in return saying "Town," or "Mafia." Because you are in a newbie game, all of your results will be sane. You win when all of the mafia are dead and at least one town member is left alive.

The game thread is here.

Please confirm that you have read and understand your role PM by PMing me your rolename.

Doctor
Welcome, [player]!

You are the Town Doctor. Each night you may PM me the name of a player you wish to protect, aside from yourself. That player will be protected from the mafia kill that night.You win when all the mafia are dead and at least one town member is left alive.

The game thread is here.

Jailkeeper
Welcome [player]!

You are the Town Jailkeeper. Each night you may PM me the name of a player, other than yourself. That player will be protected from the mafia kill that night, but will also be prevented from using any night actions they might have. You win when all the mafia are dead and at least one town member is left alive.

The game thread is here.

1-Shot Bulletproof
Welcome [player]!

You are the Town 1-Shot Bulletproof. The first time you are targeted for a night kill it will not go through. You win when all the mafia are dead and at least one town member is left alive.

The game thread is here.

Tracker
Welcome [player]!

You are the Town Tracker. Each night you may PM me the name of a player. If successful, you will be told the name of any player that that player targeted that night. You win when all the mafia are dead and at least one town member is left alive.

The game thread is here.

Mafia Goon
Welcome [player]!

You are the Mafia Goon. Along with your partner [partner], the Mafia Rolecop, you must overtake this town. Each night you and your partner may scheme in this QuickTopic and decide on one player to kill. You must inform me of who is carrying out the kill as well. You win when the mafia outnumbers the town, or nothing can prevent the same.

The game thread is here.

Mafia Roleblocker
Welcome [player]!

You are the Mafia Roleblocker. Along with your partner [partner], the Mafia Goon, you must overtake this town. Each night you and your partner may scheme in this QuickTopic and decide on one player to kill. You must inform me of who is carrying out the kill as well. Additionally, you may PM me the name of a player. If you are successful, that player will be unable to carry out any of his actions that night. You win when the mafia outnumbers the town, or nothing can prevent the same.

The game thread is here.

Last edited by AGar on Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

I ramble about running!

AGar
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:53 pm

Role PMs will be going out shortly.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

I ramble about running!

AGar
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:05 pm

Role PMs have been distributed. The game will begin when six of nine players have confirmed.

(9/9)
Last edited by AGar on Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I ramble about running!

AGar
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:09 pm

6 players have confirmed. It is now Day 1. Deadline is in (expired on 2014-06-19 00:30:00).

Votecount 1.00
Scripten (0) -
Fluminator (0) -
Skast (0) -
rureluz (0) -
Weirdestbug (0) -
Mark_Speers (0) -
Rubicon (0) -
Aphix (0) -
Cabd (0) -

Not Voting (9) - Scripten, Fluminator, Skast, rureluz, Weirdestbug, Mark_Speers, Rubicon, Aphix, Cabd

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.
No one is the current wagon leader(s), at L-5
Deadline is in (expired on 2014-06-19 00:30:00).

I ramble about running!

Fluminator
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:23 pm

14 Days! That's a long time.

Rubicon
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:31 pm

VOTE: Skripten

Just to let you guys know, I probably won't be as active in this game as some of you. This is because I'm a strong town PR and want to keep my head down.

Cabd
Every Breath You Take

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:47 pm

Hello everyone,. Friendly neighborhood IC checking in. Those of you that are new to the game will want to read my IC posts (that will be in blue text) The rest of you can feel free to ignore them or read them as you will.
Rule Breaker: a weapon that materializes the divinity of the witch of betrayal. It will find your ribs eventually.

Cabd
Every Breath You Take

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:00 am

Hello! I am the IC (Inexperience-challenged) player in this game. That means in addition to playing as a player, I am also the teacher of sorts for this game. Regardless of my alignment, I am governed by the rules set forth for IC players. This means I WILL NOT lie to you about game theory, proper practices, and the like. If you have any sort of question about what a term means, what the acceptable plays are for a certain scenario, etc, I will answer it truthfully to the best of my abilities. I will cover some basic stuff in the next few sections. Click "show" to reveal the sections that you are interested in.

Spoiler: Starting the Game
The game usually starts in what is known as "RVS" which stands for "Random Voting Stage." In this phase of the game, players often cast votes for silly or little to no reason to get the game started. The game will progress out of RVS naturally within a page (1 page = 25 posts) or two.

Please note that it is ALWAYS better to lynch on day one than no lynch. This means that there will be one of us sent to the gallows within the next 14 days.

Spoiler: How to Play
During the day, it is your job to vote for the player you wish to be lynched. Use vote tags like so:

Code: Select all
[vote]Cabd[/vote]

Code: Select all
[unvote]Cabd[/unvote]

You can unvote and revote as often as you'd like, your vote isn't "stuck" or anything of the sort.

Try to make a post at least once every real life day. The game is a lot mroe fun and solvable when everyone is contributing.

Do ~NOT~ claim your role unless you are at what is known as "L-1". This means that there are enough votes minus one before you are lynched. There are several reasons for this, and I can go into more detail if anyone is curious.

Spoiler: Some Terms and Abbreviations
Here's a quick non-perfect list of terms you may seen thrown around:

IC: Inexperience-Challenged player (that's me!)
SE: Semi-experienced challenged player
Scum: General term for non-town alignments, in the case of this game, the mafia players
Maf: Mafia
L-# : The number of votes before a player is lynched.
LYLO: Lynch (correctly) or lose. This means that if a lynch on town occurs, the mafia immediately wins
MYLO: Lynch (correctly or nolynch) or lose. This means a no lynch is allowable to drop numbers before LYLO.

Rule Breaker: a weapon that materializes the divinity of the witch of betrayal. It will find your ribs eventually.

Cabd
Every Breath You Take

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:03 am

Bandwagon time? Bandwagon time.
VOTE: Skripten

Fluminator
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:12 am

Cool. Do you still get to give game theory if you die? And I take it we don't know the exact roles in play.

Cabd
Every Breath You Take

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:13 am

In post 9, Fluminator wrote:Cool. Do you still get to give game theory if you die? And I take it we don't know the exact roles in play.

Nope, when dead, I'm dead. That's why in addition to me there's two SE players. ANd there's always the wiki as well.

We are in one of 6 setups, as listed in the above mod posts. Speculation as to which is which is very anti-town, however, so curb all that discussion until LYLO, should we get there before we've lynched all the mafia.

aphix
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:39 am

In post 5, Rubicon wrote:VOTE: Skripten

Just to let you guys know, I probably won't be as active in this game as some of you. This is because I'm a strong town PR and want to keep my head down.

VOTE: Rubicon

I don't think it's an RVS vote though.

rureluz
Townie

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:40 am

hello

VOTE: fluminator

just practicing.

rureluz
Townie

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:52 am

UNVOTE: fluminator

So how do we figure out who the mafia are?

aphix
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:08 am

IC, please correct me if I say anything wrong.

I'm sure the IC well have better information but we find scum(mafia) by interacting with people. A lot of my play personally is off of gut reads. People don't always like that, but through interaction you get to see how someone plays. Sometimes you can look at previous games of a person and see how it compares(meta), although I don't much like that, as you can play against your meta.

Big ones I look out for, catching someone in a lie. Town should have no reason to lie. Jumping on wagons(when someone has multiple votes on them, might be a good one to include in terms IC) with no reason, or hammering for similar. Role fishing(trying to figure out what roles are in game) isn't good for town and normally scummy, happens with curious newbies unfortunately. Also looking for scum motivation and town motivation. Town try to hunt for scum, scum try to look like they are hunting for scum. There is small differences.

Speaking of this, because of Rubicon's post, if you are a PR that might contradict rubicon's softclaim. I don't want you saying anything about it. Unfortunately there is NO town motivation for Rubicon's post.

Fluminator
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:34 am

1 more question. Do we play to stay alive and have our faction win, or do we play to simply have our faction win?
This is my first mafia game by computer. I've played some games face to face before though.
VOTE: Skast

Fluminator
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:34 am

Oops. VOTE: Skast

aphix
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:51 am

The role PMs above give win conditions, but you can win even without being alive at the end.

Scripten
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:50 pm

Completely new to this forum, but I've played a few games in the past in some other places. That being said, I will be very honest and admit that I am still a newbie when it comes to strategy. My play-style tends toward open logic and honesty, so I will generally give justification for my decisions within the post itself. I will respond to any questions to the best of my ability, as well. I have not looked over many games here, so I do not know if my strategy is inline with the usual. Also, I do not have internet at home as of yet, so while I plan to be active, I may not be able to reply to other posts in as timely a manner as my usual.

That being said, I'm going for a semi-OMGUS vote on Cabd. While it's in reaction to his RVS, I chose him over Rubicon because he is also bandwagoning. Not much of a reason, but it's something. :P

VOTE: Cabd

Fluminator
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:15 pm

I don't think it would be smart to lynch the IC the first turn.
If Cabd isn't the mafia, I assume the mafia will want to kill him quickly seeing as he is the most experienced. That being said, if he isn't nightkilled anytime soon, I would suspect him. I think he will be more useful to us being alive longer.

aphix
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:30 pm

IC is just as likely to be mafia as anyone else. Not being night killed wouldn't be a scum indicator for home either it's wifom. So I wouldn't be suspicious due to no night kill alone as that might be what scum would want.

AGar
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:48 pm

Votecount 1.01
Scripten (2) - Rubicon, Cabd
Fluminator (0) -
Skast (1) - Fluminator
rureluz (0) -
Weirdestbug (0) -
Mark_Speers (0) -
Rubicon (1) - Aphix
Aphix (0) -
Cabd (1) - Scripten

Not Voting (4) - Skast, rureluz, Weirdestbug, Mark_Speers

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.
Scripten is the current wagon leader(s), at L-3
Deadline is in (expired on 2014-06-19 00:30:00)

I ramble about running!

Rubicon
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:51 pm

In post 14, aphix wrote:IC, please correct me if I say anything wrong.

I'm sure the IC well have better information but we find scum(mafia) by interacting with people. A lot of my play personally is off of gut reads. People don't always like that, but through interaction you get to see how someone plays. Sometimes you can look at previous games of a person and see how it compares(meta), although I don't much like that, as you can play against your meta.

Big ones I look out for, catching someone in a lie. Town should have no reason to lie. Jumping on wagons(when someone has multiple votes on them, might be a good one to include in terms IC) with no reason, or hammering for similar. Role fishing(trying to figure out what roles are in game) isn't good for town and normally scummy, happens with curious newbies unfortunately. Also looking for scum motivation and town motivation. Town try to hunt for scum, scum try to look like they are hunting for scum. There is small differences.

Speaking of this, because of Rubicon's post, if you are a PR that might contradict rubicon's softclaim. I don't want you saying anything about it. Unfortunately there is NO town motivation for Rubicon's post.

You are scum for this post, for a multitude of reasons which I'm going to strategically withhold in order to trap you in a web of your own twisted lies.

VOTE: aphix

aphix
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:11 pm

Fair enough.

Rubicon
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:15 pm

Fair enough?
Fair enough???

I don't think you're taking this seriously enough aphix.

Next
[ + ]

Return to Completed Newbie Games