algebra (SE) - Lynched day 1 - Vanilla Townie
Hermie KickTheKurt - Lynched day 2 - Mafia Goon
BRantz Gamma Emerald - Killed night 2 - Town Jailkeeper
LaLight DayahaangRai Noguy5 - Lynched day 3 - Vanilla Townie
Dierfire (IC) - Killed night 3 - Vanilla Townie
TheDominator37 (SE) - Lynched day 4 - 1-shot Bulletproof Townie
culted Flame Princess lollipop-kun - Endgamed day 4 - Vanilla Townie
nn30 moth - Endgamed day 4 - Vanilla Townie
Last edited by SirCakez on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Get to know a Cakez!

SirCakez
Survivor

Pronoun: He

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:36 pm

Rules
1. All sitewide rules apply. Do not break them.
2. Do not quote any PMs received from the moderator in thread. You may paraphrase.
3. Do not contact other players about the game outside the game thread. This includes PMs and off-site communications.
4. Play to your win condition.
5. Do not use tiny text, cryptography or anything along those lines.
6. Do not bring provable randomness into the game. This includes dice tags.
7. Keep it civil. Do not flame or personally attack other players. Attack the play, not the player.
8 Do not impersonate the moderator. This is my color. Don't use it.
8. If you die you are allowed one "Bah" post. Do not include anything game related in your post.
9. Each day phase will last 14 days and each night phase will last 2 days.
10. Players who have not posted for 48 hours will receive a prod. After receiving a prod, a player has 24 hours to post before I will begin seeking a replacement. If a player receives three prods they will be replaced.
11. If you are goimg to be away for an extended period of time, please let me know to go V/LA. Players on V/LA will be exempt from the prod rules above.
12. Use vote tags or bold tags to place votes. As long as it can be reasonably interpeted as a vote I will accept it. Do not attempt to use this rule to engage in vote trickery. Nicknames are acceptable as long as it is clear who the vote is for. Examples of acceptable votes:
VOTE: SirCakez
Vote: SirCakez
Vote: SirCakez
13. Players may vote to end the phase without a lynch. If 1/2 the players remaining alive, rounded up, vote for nolynch, the game will immediately go to night phase. Do this by voting for a nolynch (see below)
VOTE: No Lynch
14. When a player has reached a majority of votes, that player will be lynched and the phase will end.
15. Players may post after a majority has been reached until I announce the end of the phase.
16. Do not quote from any Private Topics you have access to in the main thread.
Get to know a Cakez!

SirCakez
Survivor

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:36 pm

Newbie Setup
Matrix6 (as designed by Cogito Ergo Sum):

ABC
1Town JailkeeperVanilla TownieMafia Goon
2Mafia RoleblockerTown CopTown Doctor
3Town 1-shot
Bulletproof
Mafia GoonTown Tracker

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates either one row or one column. The remaining six roles will be filled in by mafia goons and vanilla townies appropriately, to create a 2-mafia and 7-town setup. For example Row 1 (1 jailkeeper, 1 vanilla townie, 1 mafia goon) would add an additional 5 vanilla townies and 1 mafia goon, for a total setup of 1 jailkeeper, 6 vanilla townies, and 2 mafia goons.

*Roleblocker will take precedence over jailkeeper when resolving night actions should that apply.

Sample Role PMs:

Spoiler:
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a Vanilla Townie.

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is [url]here[/url]. Confirm by replying with your role name to this PM.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a Town Jailkeeper.

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is [url]here[/url]. Confirm by replying with your role name to this PM.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a Town Cop.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are Town or Mafia. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a Town Doctor.

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

1-shot Bulletproof TownieWelcome!

You are a 1-shot Bulletproof Townie.

You will survive 1 kill attempt during the game. This does not include lynches.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a Town Tracker.

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player they targeted with their action, if any.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a Mafia Goon.

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a Mafia Goon/Roleblocker.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional PT, located [url]here[/url], where you may talk at night.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a Mafia Roleblocker.

Your partner is PLAYER, who is a Mafia Goon.

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located [url]here[/url], where you may talk at night.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

Get to know a Cakez!

SirCakez
Survivor

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:50 pm

All role PMs have been sent. Players have 72 hours to confirm.

The game will begin once 7/9 players have confirmed.

Currently 8/9 players have confirmed.
Last edited by SirCakez on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get to know a Cakez!

SirCakez
Survivor

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:03 am

With 7/9 players confirmed, Day 1 begins!
Votecount 1.0

Not voting (9) - moth, noguy5, pucca25, lollipop-kun, KickTheKurt, algebra, Gamma Emerald, TheDominator37, Dierfire

With 9 alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch someone.

(expired on 2016-11-02 07:04:00) remain until day end
Last edited by SirCakez on Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get to know a Cakez!

pucca25
Townie

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:11 am

Hi! I'm so excited to start my first game of Forum Mafia.

Dierfire
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:36 am

Newbie 1749 IC Post

Stolen (with modifications) from Aeronaut

Hello everyone!
I'm Dierfire (but I usually go by Dier), and I'll be your IC (Inexperienced-Challenged) player for this game. That means that I'm in charge of teaching you the basics of playing, as well as being an actual player in the game. As the IC, I WILL NOT lie to you about game theory, how to play, common tells and the like. I know you'll have a lot of questions, so don't hesitate to ask me!

This is my fourth time playing as the IC (I think), and I'm excited to be playing with you all!

The BasicsIn the next few sections, I'll cover some basic stuff.

Spoiler: How to Play
Your Job
Play to your win condition; this means the conditions that must be met in order for your faction to win the game, as specified in your role PM. If you have questions about your role or your win condition, don't hesitate to PM the Mod!

If you are aligned with Town, your job is to eliminate all members of the Mafia team (even if you yourself do not survive). There is in general little benefit to concealing your thoughts; share what you think openly and share your feedback on the thoughts that other players share. A Town player, unlike a Mafia player, does not know the alignment of any other player, and your goal is to determine which players are truly trying to figure out the game and which have ulterior motives. If someone is using reasoning that you don't understand, definitely ask for an explanation!
If you are aligned with Mafia, your job is to kill enough Town players to gain control of the lynch vote (which usually includes surviving to the end of the game, although if you die your partner can still win the game for both of you). Your goal is to maneuver the game without exposing your ulterior motives, so try to do everything that a Town player would do!

Voting

During the day, it is your job to vote for the player you wish to be lynched. Use vote tags like so (type the green things):

Code: Select all
[v]Aeronaut[/v]

That will show up like this:

VOTE: Aeronaut

Probably the Mod will understand that this is not a real vote (it's within a spoiler, and Aero shouldn't even be in this game), but just in case, I don't want it to stick. So, I will remove my vote using unvote tags. I type the things in green:

Code: Select all
[uv]Aeronaut[/uv]

It shows up like this:

UNVOTE: Aeronaut

You can unvote and revote as often as you'd like, it isn't final until a majority is reached (5/9 votes on D1). Remember, your vote is your best asset! It's what gives the your faction power. Don't be afraid to place your vote, as it can be changed at any time until a majority is reached.

Always try to have good reasoning behind your votes and actions. People will be more likely to follow your lead if your argument makes some sort of sense.

Spoiler: Some Terms and Abbreviations
Common Terms

Here's a quick list of terms you may seen thrown around:

IC: Inexperience-Challenged player (that's me!)
SE: Semi-experienced challenged player. These are players with a good amount of experience on the site.
Scum: General term for non-town alignments, in the case of this game, the mafia players
L-#: The number of votes before a player is lynched. (Example, "Dier is at L-4" means that I am 4 votes away from being lynched)
LYLO: Lynch (correctly) or lose. This means that the Town must lynch a Mafia player in that phase or the Mafia will win.
MYLO: Mislynch and lose. This means that if the Town lynches a Town player in that phase, the Mafia will win. This is different from LYLO in that lynching nobody at all does not lose the game.
BP: Bulletproof, a role that can get shot by the mafia once and not die.
Doc: Doctor, a role that can attempt to protect people from nightkills.
JK: Jailkeeper, a role that both protects and blocks its target.
Scummy: An adjective for any action (or player) more likely to come from or be mafia than town.
Meta: A player's past style of playing from completed games as a given role as compared to their current play.
PR: Power Role, any role that is not vanilla town or mafia goon.
OMGUS: (Oh my god you suck) is where a player essentially votes a player for voting them first. Considered not good play.
NK: Night Kill. The mafia's kill they get to use once a night.
PT: Private Topic: The hidden secret forum where the mafia may talk at all times during the game.
Crumb: A hidden message that can be revealed as needed or will be found after your death hinting on what you do with a power role, or that you are that role.
Claim: An outright claim of your role. Please note you may NOT post your role PM, you can only paraphrase it. DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL IT IS COMPLETELY NECESSARY. I will discuss claiming more later.
CC: Counter Claim. This is when someone claims a role that makes a previous role claim false, exposing the previous player as lying.
Hammer: The vote that brings somebody from L-1 to lynched. IT'S IMPORTANT TO DECLARE INTENT TO HAMMER BEFORE DOING IT!
Mislynch: When town mistakenly lynches a player who was town.

Let me know if I missed anything!

Helpful Links

Also, here are some links that may also help you out.

Remember, the Wiki is your friend!

Spoiler: Common Etiquette (A MUST READ)
Etiquette

1. What the Mod says, goes. Period. If you have a problem with the way the game is run, take it up with the list moderator.

2. Stay Active! Games with a lot of inactive players are slow and boring and nobody likes that. Posting 1-2 times a day is usually sufficient.

3. Don't start pointless arguments or personal wars; name calling and vulgarity isn't helpful to anybody, not even scum. Just don't do it, it makes game unplayable.

4. NEVER Self-hammer, Give up your teammates as scum, talk about ongoing games, or do anything to unfairly influence the game on purpose.

5. Finally, always remember that it's a game. People are going to get mad. The game of Mafia is not always a polite one; there will be heated exchanges and toxic situations. It's always important to remember that this is still just a game; we're all still just trying to win. Having said that, being as polite as possible makes for much more enjoyable games, but more importantly, will give you more charisma and influence within the town!

This is going to be a fun game hopefully, and don't forget, if you have a question, ASK AWAY! Try to make it pretty visible to me in case I missed it.

Dierfire
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:36 am

Now I will talk about RVS and RQS.
The essence of this game is that an uninformed majority (Town) is playing against an informed minority (Mafia). This means that when the game starts the Town players have almost no information at all. Obviously this makes it hard for us to know what to do!
Two strategies used to break out of this low-information state are RVS (random voting stage) and RQS (random questions stage).
In RVS, everyone casts a vote for arbitrary reasons. However, after the first few votes, the remaining votes will start to be less arbitrary, because they are more informed (the later players know where the earlier votes went). This opens up the game to discussion about why certain votes have gone where they have gone, and moves the game forward.
In RQS, players ask and answer some arbitrary questions. This gets people to discuss the game. In general on this site, RVS is more common than RQS.

Dierfire
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:36 am

For my RVS, I will vote for KickTheKurt.

VOTE: KickTheKurt

I've also been wanting to try to find a way to make RQS useful, so I'm going to supplement my RVS with a short RQS for this game.

QUESTIONS FOR EVERYONE

1. What is your prior experience with Mafia?

2. Which alignment do you prefer?

3. What are your strengths and weaknesses that impact your play?

My answers:

1. I've been playing for nearly two years now on this forum. I have played live, but only once or twice (and long ago).
2. I prefer Town, because I like to try to solve the alignments of the other players.
3. I could name several of each, but I'll start with two. I think that my depth of analysis is a strength, as is my ability to keep a level head. I think that my tone confuses some players and makes them wary of me; I also think that I struggle to balance concision and detail (either I post long posts that other players don't want to read or I don't post enough details for them to understand me).

moth
Goon

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:55 am

Face to face, live, forum based. All of the above. Fear me scummies.

My favorite role of all time was being Janitor. But I prefer town roles, its less stressful.

I am great at helping other people look townie or scummy. But thats also my weakness, I talk too much and annoy people. Lol

VOTE: algebra

moth
Goon

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:31 am

<b>Vote: algebra<\b>

Ive read alot of games on this site and people seem to tunnel too much. I look forward to pressuring a few of you during this phase and making a few RQS of my own.

For you algebra:
1. When you are scum how do you usually respond to becoming a viable wagon?

pucca25
Townie

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:36 am

I have no experience .

I don't have any preferences yet.

I honestly don't know. I'm really new to this and this is my first time ever doing this. I'm not that good of a liar so I'm more comfortable as town.

VOTE: Vote: Noguy5

Noguy5
Townie

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:46 am

In post 11, pucca25 wrote:1. What is your prior experience with Mafia?
I have no experience .

I don't have any preferences yet.

I honestly don't know. I'm really new to this and this is my first time ever doing this. I'm not that good of a liar so I'm more comfortable as town.

VOTE: Vote: Noguy5

In halloween spirit, gonna vote the person with the spookiest name.
VOTE: Algebra
I just finished the PSAT and am on my phone in the hallway, will answer your questions when lunch starts in half an hour.

moth
Goon

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:08 am

VOTE: VOTE: pucca25
Sorry I get the mechanics now.
Algebra i'll come back to you later.
Pucca your answer is odd. You said you honestly dont know then said you do know, (that you prefer town so you dont have to lie). So you honestly "do" know what your weakness is then?

moth
Goon

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:09 am

Ah okay so the V code adds the vote too. Thats cool. Ill stop spamming now

Gamma Emerald
Survivor

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:20 am

VOTE: Moth
BUGS!
RQS:
1: lotsa f2f, lotsa EpicMafia, several forum games
2: Prefer to be Mafia, easier to dodge the noose
3: Strengths: clearing myself in weird ways, avoiding nightkills
Weaknesses: clearing myself normally
“Pipple pyii!”

Noguy5
Townie

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:25 am

QUESTIONS FOR EVERYONE

I started 3 yrs ago with IRL mafia at a summer camp. Two years ago I started playing on PS and EM and half a year ago I started at the Supercell Forums. I started playing ToS a month ago.

On the forum where I play, I'm usually a NK target so I prefer mafia so I don't die sooner than I need to.

My aggression helps me find mafia. I'm 2/3 lynching scum D1 (the other one lied about their activity on the thread and LAL)
My weakness? I get passive-aggressive as mafia, though not as much anymore.

Gamma Emerald
Survivor

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:28 am

Erm by LAL do you mean LYLO?
“Pipple pyii!”

Noguy5
Townie

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:35 am

In post 17, Gamma Emerald wrote:Erm by LAL do you mean LYLO?

Lynch All Liars

Noguy5
Townie

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:37 am

How would you even get to Lylo day one?

Gamma Emerald
Survivor

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:38 am

I thought you meant "lied about LYLO"
“Pipple pyii!”

moth
Goon

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:42 am

Gamma are you scum?

Noguy5
Townie

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:44 am

In post 21, moth wrote:Gamma are you scum?

Quick and to the point. I like you already.

Gamma Emerald
Survivor

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:45 am

I am not scum.
Rather interesting post.
“Pipple pyii!”

Noguy5
Townie

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:46 am

In post 23, Gamma Emerald wrote:I am not scum.
Rather interesting post.

Instead of just saying "Interesting" say what you actually think about it please.

Next
[ + ]

Return to Completed Newbie Games